Anyone else hate Scalpers?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
pizzatime6
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/24 13:55:09 (permalink)

Well to all of you hating the hate your pre order wasnt shipped you can now enjoy knowing that scummers have taken pre orders away from people who actually want to use the product and not just rip people off with it.

Scallpers= dirty scum
People who buy from them= Idiot who contributes to the problem

66 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:02:05 (permalink)
    You will not find any here at EVGA.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Ab1987
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 196
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:03:50 (permalink)
    who cares?i don't see an issue with scalpers,simply don't buy from them,they spent there money just like anyone else and waited to get the card like any one of us,you're just upset you didn't beat them to the punch and get your 10 extra fps a little early
    pizzatime6
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:06:36 (permalink)
    Ab1987
    who cares?i don't see an issue with scalpers,simply don't buy from them,they spent there money just like anyone else and waited to get the card like any one of us,you're just upset you didn't beat them to the punch and get your 10 extra fps a little early

No thats not the reason. I pre-ordered my 1080 ti ftw3 through evga already. Its not so much they bought, its the fact they bought it for immoral and unethica reasons such as to take advantage of others. Next time dont assume it makes a ass out of yourself.

Edit: Also where the heck did you get a extra 10 frames number I never said what gpu I own right now again dont make a ass out of yourself.
    Ab1987
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:09:10 (permalink)
    pizzatime6
    Ab1987

No thats not the reason. I pre-ordered my 1080 ti ftw3 through evga already. Its not so much they bought, its the fact they bought it for immoral and unethica reasons such as to take advantage of others. Next time dont assume it makes a ass out of yourself.

Edit: Also where the heck did you get a extra 10 frames number I never said what gpu I own right now again dont make a ass out of yourself.

and you think evga or the people who are making these are selling them for nearly the cost that it took them to make it?LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

how is it taking advantage of others,didn't know you're forced to buy marked up items.am i missing something here?

if i paid for something that's marked up that's because i wanted to early and have no one else to blame but myself for not waiting 
    pizzatime6
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:14:44 (permalink)

and you think evga or the people who are making these are selling them for nearly the cost that it took them to make it?LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

how is it taking advantage of others,didn't know you're forced to buy marked up items.am i missing something here?

if i paid for something that's marked up that's because i wanted to early and have no one else to blame but myself for not waiting 

There is a reason why scalping is illegal you know. Ill leave it at that as your too stupid to understand how engaging in this practice is unethical and immoral.
    Ab1987
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:16:44 (permalink)
    pizzatime6

There is a reason why scalping is illegal you know. Ill leave it at that as your too stupid to understand how engaging in this practice is unethical and immoral.

lol scalping is illegal?since when..........maybe for event tickets in certain states but surely not electronic items 

it's unethical because you or someone didn't get something on release date so need to moan about it and can't wait a few extra weeks,boo hoo your life is now over cause you can't post your haven benchmarks 
    TRClark911
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:17:46 (permalink)
    Scalpers wouldn't exist if people didn't buy from them.

All you people willing to pay $1200 for a $700 GPU because you have to have it TODAY are to blame...

I don't buy from them... so don't much care.

Ab1987
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:19:04 (permalink)
    TRClark911
    Scalpers wouldn't exist if people didn't buy from them.

All you people willing to pay $1200 for a $700 GPU because you have to have it TODAY are to blame...

I don't buy from them... so don't much care.

exactly my point,i'm one to admit i do buy from scalpers if the price is right and not to marked up.but that's my personal choice.for pc parts never cause the wait is usually 1-2 months tops
    pizzatime6
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:19:12 (permalink)

lol scalping is illegal?since when..........maybe for event tickets in certain states but surely not electronic items 

Never said it was illegal for electronics. The same ethical and moral position applies to any other item that people scalp. It seems you dont have very high morals or ethics and seems like youd be the person who would very easily do this to other people. Good day sir, you are part of the problem.
    Ab1987
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:21:39 (permalink)
    pizzatime6

Never said it was illegal for electronics. The same ethical and moral position applies to any other item that people scalp. It seems you dont have very high morals or ethics and seems like youd be the person who would very easily do this to other people. Good day sir, you are part of the problem.

sure will money talks.
    Notwist
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 14:46:24 (permalink)
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with scalping aside from being annoying to those who want the item. Here's why:

"Scalpers" pay an upfront cost to gamble on the perceived desirability of an item at an inflated price. If nobody buys the item at the inflated price, they are basically SOL and, in many cases they've lost on their investment (because remember: selling through Amazon or eBay incurs fees, so there is no way they are making their money back, and they've wasted a ton of time). If somebody DOES buy the item at the inflated price, they've justified the time they spent acquiring the item, and determined the actual fair market value of the item.

Solution to fixing scalping:
    a) just don't buy from the scalper. If enough people stop buying, scalpers won't be interested in the product. Done.
    b) manufacturers can just sell their initial shipments at slightly inflated costs themselves, and then back off the prices once production yields improve. This is how MANY other product manufacturers make their money. It also goes by the name "Early adopter's fee". Heck, it could even allow the manufacturer to be more competitive in their pricing down the line.
    c) manufacturers can prohibit 3rd party resale of their product from major online retailers, granting exemptions to authorized dealers.

I don't like scalpers as much as anybody else, but I'm not going to be so foolish as to think they are any more predatorial than stock market investors or retail chains that price based off of discounting MSRP. In cases of limited availability, the market always decides the value of an item. Just ask anybody who wants an NES Classic.
    redleader00
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 906
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 15:19:47 (permalink)
    Notwist
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with scalping aside from being annoying to those who want the item. Here's why:

"Scalpers" pay an upfront cost to gamble on the perceived desirability of an item at an inflated price. If nobody buys the item at the inflated price, they are basically SOL and, in many cases they've lost on their investment (because remember: selling through Amazon or eBay incurs fees, so there is no way they are making their money back, and they've wasted a ton of time). If somebody DOES buy the item at the inflated price, they've justified the time they spent acquiring the item, and determined the actual fair market value of the item.

a) just don't buy from the scalper. If enough people stop buying, scalpers won't be interested in the product. Done.
    b) manufacturers can just sell their initial shipments at slightly inflated costs themselves, and then back off the prices once production yields improve. This is how MANY other product manufacturers make their money. It also goes by the name "Early adopter's fee". Heck, it could even allow the manufacturer to be more competitive in their pricing down the line.
    c) manufacturers can prohibit 3rd party resale of their product from major online retailers, granting exemptions to authorized dealers.

I don't like scalpers as much as anybody else, but I'm not going to be so foolish as to think they are any more predatorial than stock market investors or retail chains that price based off of discounting MSRP. In cases of limited availability, the market always decides the value of an item. Just ask anybody who wants an NES Classic.

^ This

People really need to learn how the market works. We are all in it everyday, and those that do not understand how it works are gonna have a really bad time.

jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 15:45:57 (permalink)
    As much as I don't like it, I don't really blame people for doing it. Just gotta be ahead of the game, though sometimes easier said than done.
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 15:54:05 (permalink)
    pizzatime6
    Ab1987

stop whining who cares what someone sells or buys it's   nothing i hate more then some ass trying to tell anyone how to spend there money!!!!!!!! ass.
    bg8780
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2540
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 15:58:06 (permalink)
    redleader00
    Notwist

^ This

People really need to learn how the market works. We are all in it everyday, and those that do not understand how it works are gonna have a really bad time.

+1

Stop being a whiny baby. The world is going to be VERY hard for you. 
    PhenomMasaki
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 17:04:12 (permalink)
    Yeah, when I was looking for my 1080 ti, NewEgg had "re sellers" who had them posted for $900 bucks...I waited, bought it locally at retail $ but yeah part scalpers blow!

I remember the good 'ole days when scalpers were run off the property at night clubs and arrested, NOW you pretty much have to buy your tickets from the same people if you want to see a a-lister concert at all because they bought all the tickets.
    GamerDaddy84
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 19:52:34 (permalink)
    I love how every scalper defends themselves with "it's just the free market man" "supply and demand man".

When you really look at the time sink involved with scalping, the often crap margins, and the time it takes sometimes to sell the stuff your scalping the investment is almost never worth it.

Like let's say you pre order a 1080ti FTW and make 100 dollars off the transaction. Once you figure in the cost of your time, any postage, gas you spend driving to places to buy if you go to a brick and mortar, 99% of the time you are actually losing money on these deals.

More often than not scalpets are morons that think because they clear $100 gross on a $700 investment one time that makes them a venture capitalist.

9 times out of 10 you would be better off just putting that money in a mutual fund.
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 20:31:27 (permalink)
    +1

I agree i waited a month to get my ti for 699 because i refused to pay the higher price from scalpers!!! Most of us here on the forum buy the product because we want to use it.

The scalpers just want to make money for basically doin nothing but fronting some money! How hard is it to post a few threads here and there 5-10min and a trip to the post office is what maybe a couple bucks in gas and a 5 min drive for most.

So, they made 100 bucks nearly doing nothing, I pass the post office everyday going to work and im on the pc everyday anyway not much time wasted, actually none! Thats an easy 100 dollars imo! Btw this is just in example but in my case my post office is a block away and i can get a for sale thread up in like 2 mins pretty easy 100 dollar bill if u ask me! Also no one will ever see me doing this because im not that way nor do i want to make a cheap buck by ripping people off and making other people wait longer who refuse to pay these mark ups.

Just shows how some people are greedy and want to make a cheap buck!
    post edited by skarface - 2017/04/24 20:35:18
    FattysGoneWild
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2660
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 21:02:42 (permalink)
    I want it ALL and I want it NOW! People have the pockets to play that game and will. Others do not. It is what it is. 

HP Omen 880-160se custom ordered
    MOBO: HP Tampa2
    CPU: Intel i7 8700k @4.8GHz
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
    GPU: PNY XLR8 RTX 3080
    PSU: Delta 750w 80 Plus Platinum 
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Samsung 512GB MZVLW512HMJP
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO
    HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
    Sound: Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
    Monitor: Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 @144Hz G-Sync calibrated with ColorMunki Display
    Keyboard: HP Omen 1100
    Mouse: HP Omen 600

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 21:12:43 (permalink)
    I don't like scalpers. I'd like to see EVGA reach out to Amazon and Newegg. ask them to give customers a warning on evga products being listed the marketplace on each website. Alert customers to make sure to buy from an authorized re-seller, if you care about taking advantage of evga optional programs.

If you don't buy from an authorized re-seller, you become the second owner.
    NO Extended product warranty option
    No Step-Up option

pizzatime6
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 21:17:32 (permalink)
    It's the classic just because I can doesn't mean I should. I don't even understand how they make money doing it on PayPal when if they sell a 700 buck card for even 900 after tax, shipping and PayPal fees they are actually losing money.
    The_Ninjak
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 170
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 21:41:54 (permalink)
    pizzatime6
    I don't even understand how they make money doing it on PayPal when if they sell a 700 buck card for even 900 after tax, shipping and PayPal fees they are actually losing money.

That's why prices for everything in general are so high on eBay these days.  Especially on more expensive items.  10% gets sucked up by eBay, 2.9% (+30 cents) by Paypal.  So some of the sellers are actually just trying to make enough to break even to recoup those costs and shipping w. insurance.  Sell a $700 GPU for $800 and the seller might end up with $690 or so in the end.   Someone selling that same GPU for $850 is trying to make a small profit of about $50 maybe.  People jumping into the substantially higher prices, yeah, they're just capitalizing on those who can't wait for a price reduction or availability.   If the item is no longer going to be sold anywhere because it's out of production, then they're milking it for the rarity.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 | Cooler Master MasterCase H500M
    500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro NVMe | 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND SSD

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/24 23:26:18 (permalink)
    I hate the very idea of people buying product they don't plan to use just to resell it though I kind of understand it in some ways. I have a friend who got a NES classic and he was considering selling it when he realized the crazy prices they where going for. In his case where he would be selling it to help afford a ring to upgrade his girlfriend into a wife I really can't blame him.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Notwist
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/25 01:06:57 (permalink)
    Consider:

What's the difference between EVGA buying their PCB's from NVidia and slapping on a cooler that costs then $50 or less and marking up the price about $300, vs. a person who got a difficult to find product and is selling it marked up?

Or...

What's the difference between a retailer selling a product above MSRP because they don't have many, vs. a person who sells a product above MSRP because they don't have many?

And consider that most "scalpers" don't exactly fit the stereotype of the sleezy guy on the corner hawking products hidden under a rain coat. I've bought and resold products at a premium because I saw how high the prices were going up by after I bought it and really needed the money to supplement my income. And if nobody bought it I would just use it as planned. Simple as that.

This is business. It's how things work.
    Notwist
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/25 01:16:43 (permalink)
    Oh yea, and consider the alternative: you really want the product but because Amazon prevents resellers now you have ZERO chance of getting one now.

Let me provide an example: I LOVE classic rock. I discovered a few months before his tour started that Ringo Starr was playing in my city but I had missed the ticket sales a while back.

But I also work my butt off, so I was able to pay a premium for some nice tickets so my wife and I could go see Ringo :)

If "scalping" wasn't a thing, I couldn't have gotten those tickets. Another person who maybe had more time in their lives to wait online and spam refresh on Ticketmaster might have gotten them, when meanwhile I'm working 60 hours a week.

So how is this not ok?
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/25 03:39:34 (permalink)
    Notwist
    Consider:

What's the difference between EVGA buying their PCB's from NVidia and slapping on a cooler that costs then $50 or less and marking up the price about $300, vs. a person who got a difficult to find product and is selling it marked up?

Since when are the non-reference cards $1000? Partner cards range from an additional 0$ to $70, unless you are getting water cooled or maybe a crazy custom card.
    Notwist
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/25 03:52:36 (permalink)
    jcbullen
    Since when are the non-reference cards $1000? Partner cards range from an additional 0$ to $70, unless you are getting water cooled or maybe a crazy custom card.

Markup over EVGA's cost from NVidia for the PCB's (and over cost of the cooler attached to them).

All of these AIB partners need to actually buy Nvidia's chip and other components from Nvidia then mark them up for resale to us. Nvidia provides a guideline to help set an average market price (hence the reference cards). Then AIB partners are free to experiment from there with custom PCB's manufacturered overseas or fancy coolers, etc (EVGA's primary differentiator is their customer service :) ), whatever they think will differentiate themselves in the market to get sales. But don't think for a second EVGA isn't effectively putting up millions of dollars in upfront costs to buy the components from NVidia at a steep discount so they can be resold at a marked up price.

"But why wouldn't Nvidia just sell all the cards themselves?" Simple: it's WAY easier to have other vendors deal with the general public, and WAY easier on for their manufacturing line when they can just produce however many chips the vendors have already ordered from them, as opposed to taking on that risk themselves.

Why do you think the Titan chips are basically Nvidia exclusive? Because the profit margins are high enough and the production investment is low enough that it's a smaller risk for Nvidia so they just do it themselves.
    post edited by Notwist - 2017/04/25 04:11:10
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/25 05:58:39 (permalink)
    Anyone else hate Scalpers?

No, I love them.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

nycalex80
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Anyone else hate Scalpers? 2017/04/25 06:08:52 (permalink)
    LOL at people getting salty over other people making money off of someone's impatience.

we live in a CAPITALIST country.

i'd like to call these individuals "opportunists" rather than scalpers.

hate the idiots willing to spend their asking price. if no one was willing to pay, then i'm sure no one would be scalping.

is not like they got the goods for free, they spend their money just like everyone else in here. what they do with the product they "paid" for, is solely their business. does not affect me in any way shape or form.

Main Gaming Rig:  
    Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 orange edition
    Asus ROG maximus viii hero
    I7 6700k @ 4.5 1.26v
    NZXT Kraken X62 cpu cooler
    32gb Gskill trident Z
    Evga supernova P2 1000w
    Evga GTX 1080 TI + evga hybrid kit. 2025 OC.
    500 gb samsung 960 Pro nvme ssd
    500gb samsung 850evo x 2 in raid 0
    Hitachi X300 6tb HDD
    WD black 2tb
    absolutelly ZERO cable management (i'm too lazy)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile