Any good US based BIOs chip sellers?

Author
nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2884
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2017/04/26 07:17:53 (permalink)
I recently picked up a bare bones ASUS ESC4000 G2 machine off fleabay for under $200 shipped ($80 for the machine and like $120 for shipping lol).  The seller said it had an issue with the Bios and some case damage so I figured it may just be worth the $20 or so to get a whole new BIOs chip.  After checking fleabay I can't seem to find a US based seller who offers the BIOs chips for replacement.  This seems to be a weird board to begin with as you can't find the BIOs chip preflashed for this board any where, but you can find a BIOs chip for just about every other board in it's generation.

The mobo is the Z9PG-D16.  It basically features five full length and full electrical PCIe X16 slots on those weird narrow form factor dual LGA 2011 boards with 16 dim slots.  What attracted me to this system was the capability of slapping four full GPUs into a 2U case.  For the price I got it for you can't even touch a bare used 2P LGA 2011 workstation board with that much GPU connectivity.  Not to mention all the stupid cheap 8 and 10 core Xeons available for it .  I figured a new flashed BIOs chip would be the cheapest attempt to fix and test the system to get it running so I am trying to find some one or someplace that can do it.

2 Replies Related Threads

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Any good US based BIOs chip sellers? 2017/04/26 07:41:56 (permalink)
    You can by a rom programmer and the right size and voltage bios chip and do it yourself. They are not to expensive and will save you money down the road.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Any good US based BIOs chip sellers? 2017/04/26 10:11:16 (permalink)
    If you find the BIOS chip on the board and read the numbers off of it, you can likely find and order a blank replacement from DigiKey. Then, as mentioned, all you need to buy is a programmer, download the BIOS ROM or HEX file (if you can find it available not packaged in an EXE file), and flash it to the blank chip.

You can find programmers pretty easily and rather cheap.
    This is the one I bought and own. It works well and is pretty easy to use. The most confusing thing was setting it up with the newest firmware due to the chinese website. But, a little Googling got me set up within half an hour. EEVblog has a youtube video review and teardown and has a link in the video description to the EEVblog website where they discuss the firmware update process. The firmware update fixes some issues and adds some more chip compatibilities which the original shipped firmware may not have.
    https://www.amazon.com/PD...r-Module/dp/B017BCAG2Q

What makes you think that the current BIOS chip is faulty? Is it possible that the BIOS chip is just corrupted and you could reflash it using the same process without needing to buy a new replacement chip?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/04/26 14:44:14

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile