EVGA

Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boot.

Author
Charking
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/07 16:17:43 (permalink)

Well we have another used/refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO.  All the fans, pumps and everything else is working.
But the system will not boot. We have tested the 8 16gig memory sticks one at a time and the 3 Hydo-copper 1080 GXT Graphics cards one at a time and nothing helped. We have set the 3 cards to Master slave slave/ and we have checked all the Sata Cables. We are running 4 WD HDD on RAID and 2 WD SSD on RAID .. we even disabled the two WD SDD drives wondering if there was a conflict.

The one thing that is curious is that the Graphics card when we plugged in #1 both cards 2 and 3 had no power but 2 still lights up.. and then we plugged in #2 and #1 was dark and number 3 still had power but this time again 2 and 3 both lit up.  Is this a MOBO Issue or is thing natural for these graphics cards? We had never noticed that before. Number two always lights up with and without power.
The error codes show 19 * early South Bridge Initialization * #55 Early Memory Initialization and #60 Early CPU Initialization.
Is that MOBO or Hardware failures. We can't upgrade the Bios because we can't boot and it is not taking the M-Flash or Bios upgrade thumb drives. 

So we are about ready to tell MSI we want a new board. This is the 2nd Refurbished board, the previous one was all beat up, bent and dented and we sent in a pristine board. It would not read Bios or upgrade, this one will not boot at all.
Do we have to have the mouse and keyboard plugged in to boot? MSI said nothing but one memory and graphics which is why we tested them as suggested. We are not OC and don't plan to at least in the foreseeable future.
We are running two PS one 1600 EVGA and one 1500 Enermax the 1600 runs the pumps, mother board, and hard drives and the 1500 only powers the 36 fans plus the Chassis fans.   Anything else you can suggest we try? 

Thank You...

Charking

15 Replies Related Threads

jonkrmr
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 952
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/07 16:29:19 (permalink)
    I would suspect either bad motherboard or bad CPU. Have you or can you test the CPU in another system?

Mouse and or keyboard would not need to be connected for system to POST and try to boot to OS.

Full system specs would also help us to help you.

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
    MSI MEG Z490 Unify
    Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
    SoundBlasterX AE-5 
    EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
    Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
    Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
    Charking
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/07 17:47:46 (permalink)
    CPU was working when we returned the last MSI MOBO.  We sent it in because the USB's would not accept the flash drive or thumb drive they just did not engage for lack of a better word.  I think they knew it because they sent the ' disk ' that used to come with the mobo but now they use the flash drive.  it would have been ok but the disk was cracked all the way through about 1 inch into the data. When I called and mentioned it to them, they denied sending a disk. 

As for the MOBO with all the error codes I would also suspect MOBO. Checking out MSI it seems like ours is not an orphan problem.
    I will have to check out the specs, not sure what they are. Since the computer is down, my husband is unable to email and I have the laptop. He has some neuropathy issues and vision issues so I do the emails and he does the work on the systems. 
    We/I checked the pins in the CPU and they are all straight and in alignment, nothing is bent.

Thank you, I will try to get a list of the what he is running.
    If I use wrong terminology my apologies this is not my thing, my thing is predicting earthquakes, his is building water cooled system and
    eventually getting into some VR games.
    Charking

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/08 07:53:46 (permalink)
    What CPU ?

Only the debug code that the MB Stops on matters --> (where the BOOT Hangs)

It Could be MB issue -- Can you get to the BIOS screen ?

Remove ALL connections to case -- use the MB mounted push buttons

If you can not remove the MB from case to place on cardboard (water cooled GPUs) -- you must confirm that MB is Not touching anything that could be causing a short

What version of BIOS is currently loaded in MB ? (is your CPU listed as supported with that BIOS version ?)

Can you test with a older (air cooled) GPU ?

Can you test with a different RAM ?  (is your RAM listed as supported with that BIOS version ?) Try all your sticks one at a time - DIMM slot #1 only manual p 1-7

Is RAM Voltage and timing set manually in BIOS ?

Remember do not over-tighten the CPU heatsink / water block - as excess compression can cause misalignment of the pins under the CPU

1) add TIM to CPU and place WB gently on top
    2) tighten the 4 retainer screws in a "X" pattern - making sure to turn all screws in sequence and Keeping the WB Flat
    3) 1/2 to 1 extra turn on the screws after the WB makes contact is enough --> the springs apply the force to "hold" the WB against the CPU.  The springs should not be in coil bind (compressed until there is no gap between coils)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/08 07:57:05 (permalink)
    I'll try and check those codes

https://pcpartpicker.com/...-bridge-initialization

Try this:
    SLOW_1: Slow Mode Booting Switch,   manual page 1-37  try the slow LN2 position

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Charking
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/08 11:13:19 (permalink)
    Thanks we are going to try the OC but have done everything else you suggested.
    As for the error codes, I know they are MOBO issues but are they things that can be fixed by setting something
    or do they signify a bad motherboard.  Code 19 is early South Bridge Initialization
    Code 55 is early Memory Initialization, and Code 60-63 there is no 60 but there is a 63 it changes so fast, that one is Late CPU Initialization.   MSI/They are sending another RMA approval but still wish we could get this one working and
    not have to go through the hassle again of sending, waiting installing and testing just to find we have another dud.
    I try to be really positive but at this time all I am positive of is that we wish we had never purchased this board.
    Any other suggestions?  We are about ready to start draining the water and break it down.
    Really appreciate all the good suggestions we have tried them all.

Charking
    This is my husbands system specs.
    The MOBO is X99A GODLIKE Gaming Motherboard and we are running the Intel platform
    CPU is Intel i75820K Core 6, LGA 2011-v3  3.3 GHZ
    8- sticks of Corsair Memory Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 gig each 3000C15
    3- EVGA G Force 1080 Hydro Copper Graphics Cards
    36- Riing 12 RGB LED Fans by Thermaltake
    2- 480 0'COOL -Monsta Full Copper Radiators
    2- 360 O'COOL  Monsta Full Copper Radiators
    1 dual  Swiftech Pump 
    1 side < Graphic Card > Cooling
    1 side < CPU > Cooling
    1  Thermatake Pump < Graphics Cards> Cooling
    2- WD PC-SSD 250 gigs ea, RAID  Array
    6- WD HDD 300 gigs ea, Velociraptor  RAID Array
    EVGA Supernova 1600 P2 Power Supply
    Enermax 1500 MaxRevo Power Supply
    3- X9 Cubes Cases by Thermalotake

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/08 11:38:20 (permalink)
    Looks like a very Nice Rig you are trying to get working

Quick disconnects would minimize the pain in pulling the water loop down

You mention 3 different codes but ---->Only the debug code that the MB Stops On --->Matters --> (where the BOOT Hangs)  those that flash by do not matter

MSI X99 Godlike Manual

page 1-4 ----> GPU placement

** For the CPU that supports 28 PCIe lanes ---> (your i7-5820)

-- 3-way mode:  x8/ x8/ x0/ x8/ x0**

You MUST use PCIe slots -->E1, E2 & E4  ----> Is this the way yours is setup ?

MB diagram page 1-9

page 1-22 SLI config diagram ---> (SLI Population Rules)

Attached Image(s)

Charking
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/08 12:32:05 (permalink)
    Thanks I appreciate your input As for his system, yes it will be nice if it is ever up and running. He is proud of it. 

The config. is interesting as we have always ran it in E1,E2,E3 we have never used the E4 Slot. and it worked fine.
    We run them as Master, Slave, Slave.  The first board worked but had some broken /missing pins so we returned it replacement.
    The next one was OK but we could not get all HDD to read, we did tests with their tech support and it was determined that there was a MOBO issue.  Board looked perfect, we sent it back and rec'd a board that looked like it had been through a sand storm, scratched and dinged etc but it worked and then when we tried to update it, it would not update.  Again MOBO Issues with some USB 's..
    So we were sent the MOBO that they sent us a disk like we used to get for booting etc but now they come with Flash drives, I have to believe they knew there was something wrong with the flash drive port * special size * because they sent the disk, which worked till we found that it was cracked all the way through about 1 inch into the data.. unable to update bios or even flash drive. Returned and rec'd this board, and it will not boot. The Motherboard and all fans, radiators, pumps etc all work, all memory lights up as do the graphics cards, all very pretty but it will not boot. Flash drive, regular Thumb Drive I copied the new bios on also did not work.
    MSI sent me a diagram to rename info on the thumb drive, I kept telling them it was not the same info I needed, then they admitted they sent it for a different board not ours, *our mistake sorry* I wonder who trains their tech support. 
    I am getting better information from this forum than I have any where else KUDOS to the forum.

Thank you all, each of you who have sent suggestions and or help.  I will keep you informed as to our progress..
    We are running a final test and then we will be draining the water...
    charking
    Charlotte

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/08 12:47:17 (permalink)
    Charking

We run them as Master, Slave, Slave. 
    I am getting better information from this forum than I have any where else KUDOS to the forum.
    Thank you all, each of you who have sent suggestions and or help.  I will keep you informed as to our progress..

We try, there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful volunteer members on EVGA Forums

The EVGA 1080 Hydro Copper GPUs ---> Master/Slave switch---> are for the "Two profiles" built into the cards.

"Slave setting" is more aggressive and in a water cooled GPU --> hands down the one to run on ALL 3 GPU

Charking
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/08 14:49:12 (permalink)
    We have began to drain the radiators/water system.  Something intriguing I noted today. We always use the switch on the case to turn the computer on and off.. but since it was on the other side this morning, I did not want to get up from the floor so I used the switch on the computer itself.  The on/off power switch it did not work, pressed it again for 10 seconds again it did not power off the Mobo.
    So I tried the reset button no luck there either. Is this indicative of any kind of specific problem?  It turns off fine at the case switch/button and at the power supply.

Thanks you are all awesome. My husband and I both appreciate all your suggestions.. great info.

Charking

maxfly
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/12 11:53:19 (permalink)
    if you bought a brand new mb i would think that nothing less than a brand spankin new replacement would be acceptable? did you buy a refurb or a new mb? im assuming you bought a new one. if i spent 5 bills on a new mb you can bet your boots i would be expecting a NEW mb as a replacement. i would send that piece o junk back and demand a brand spankin NEW in the sealed box mb. dont allow them to try and make you settle for their poorly tested refurbs and used mbs. sorry but i would be off my rocker after all the testing youve done. most tech support folks dont take into account the amount of time it requires to fully assemble and test custom rigs.

I7 8086K- MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC-2x GTX 980 TI
    4x8GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000c19
    Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2
    WD Blue 1TB- EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Thermaltake X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
    EK Supremacy EVO Nickel- EK-FC980 GTX TI x2
    XSPC RX360- HWLabs SR2 420- HWLabs GTR 240

bigcee
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/17 10:53:30 (permalink)
    What are the specs of this monster? Especially the case? I'm curious!
    And also, did you end up waiting for another RMA?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22,23

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/17 11:25:12 (permalink)
    bigcee
    What are the specs of this monster? Especially the case? I'm curious!
    And also, did you end up waiting for another RMA?

Build specs are on post #6 bottom  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2703888

Charking
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/17 12:08:41 (permalink)
    We are waiting for the replacement Mobo to arrive. I told MSI that if this " refurbished Mobo " does not work that we will be demanding a new retail boxed board. We started with a board that cost over 600$ retail boxed Intel Platform and have had to replace it, and then replaced the first refurbished board and now the 2nd replaced board and now we are waiting for a 3rd refurbished board.  I took photos of the board so we will have proof the board was in good condition physically when I sent it back.  I think the specs you were asking about are on one of my posts, the 6th one.  Then we have the X9 3 cubes he has been running for his case by Thermaltake. They were made for water cooling with shelves for HDD and mounting the Radiators and fans sides open with windows *paid for separately* and louvers which come with the case, each side of the top of the case removes separately as well but  he has decided with the smaller SDD HD he will likely go back to 2 cubes but will hang on to the 3rd one in case he changes his mind again.  The cubes each measure 15Wx19Hx25L he paid about 135$ each about 2 years ago, they came in black and white but we got the black.  He said they were made for water cooling and have all kinds of room inside to build a highly cooled system. He also installed heavy duty wheels on the bottom to move them around since the cases are all steel they are very heavy.  Hope this helps.  He is going through withdrawal, so they can't get her fast enough.  Thanks  for asking.
    bigcee
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/17 12:39:21 (permalink)
    Yowza! That's impressive! I wonder what the quality assurance procedures are for these boards. This configuration must be pushing that boards to its hardware limits, which of course it should meet! I just wonder about how they test "use cases", you know what I mean? Like, especially the refurb guys are probably not throwing 3 gpus in the boards and testing w ram maxed out and what not, ya know?
    I do hope you get some good retail boards coming your way!

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22,23

Charking
    Re: Another Refurbished MSI GODLIKE MOBO and another set of problems. System will not boo 2017/08/17 13:07:07 (permalink)
    you are correct we can only take their word for it and I am sure as you stated they are not checking out the mobo my maxing out the graphics cards and the memory not to mention I am not even sure they would test it with a " water system " in place, probably only using air cooled memory and graphics and cpu.  So its really not a fair test, but what can we do?  We can challenge them but they have all the techies and they can do most anything as we recently found out.  Thanks again.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile