Analysis of X299 Dark’s CMOS battery voltages

Author
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2021/07/31 19:19:56 (permalink)
In last 1.5+ years bit more than a dozen of X299 Dark mbs went through my hands. They were purchased/obtained at various times from various places, some of them had serial # starting with 18 (indicating 2018 as year of manufacture), some with 19, and one I received from EVGA as RMA with 20.

After I became aware of issues with CMOS battery I made it a habit to replace EVGA’s one with brand new one as very first step. I haven’t kept notes on voltages for all of EVGA’s at time of replacement but here are notes for 7 of them in no particular order:

0.00V
0.02V
0.09V
0.17V
0.24V
3.09V
and last, but not least, 0.04V (this one I get relatively recently as RMA replacement by EVGA for one of my X299 Dark’s).

In other words:

1. Out of 7 I have data for not a single one arrived with good battery. That combined with fact my boards came from various places at various points in time enough apart from each other makes one feel EVGA didn’t have issue with small batch of batteries, that issue was (very?) widespread. Either that or something is draining them much faster than they should be.

2. At least two of these came from motherboards that had firmware chip with red dot on it. It is my understanding red dot indicates chip EVGA replaced after Cascade Lake X came out, which means sometimes in beginning of 2020. If that is correct that makes one feel EVGA had mb in their hand for chip replacement yet didn’t use that opportunity to replace battery even though they knew by then there is a question mark over batteries.

3. That very last battery, one that came dead in recent RMA, is most upsetting one. Receiving that makes one feel as if EVGA doesn’t check whether replacement actually passes all quality checks and works as it should before sending it to customer.

6 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Analysis of X299 Dark’s CMOS battery voltages 2021/08/02 05:30:57 (permalink)
    For this query I suggest you call EVGA tech support.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: Analysis of X299 Dark’s CMOS battery voltages 2021/08/02 09:50:14 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    For this query I suggest you call EVGA tech support.

It is not a query/question, it is a statement of my findings I am sharing publicly with a community in hope community might have a benefit from them down the road. I have already contacted EVGA and asked to talk with product manager to discuss this and other observations I have. I am waiting for a call back.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: Analysis of X299 Dark’s CMOS battery voltages 2021/10/01 14:22:25 (permalink)
    For what is its worth and if anyone is interested, few weeks ago I received another X299 Dark as RMA and that one too came with dead CMOS battery. Board had serial number starting with 21. In other words this seems to be far from issue with "batch" of batteries.
    roko71
    • Total Posts : 12
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Analysis of X299 Dark’s CMOS battery voltages 2021/10/03 03:02:14 (permalink)

check this thread
     ok
    can not link thread, sorry

edit again:

bought x299 dark in 2019 i think, arrived with dead bat. there is a thread here about cmos error with lots of info

post edited by roko71 - 2021/10/03 03:05:55
    Mister E...
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Analysis of X299 Dark’s CMOS battery voltages 2021/10/03 10:59:33 (permalink)
    FYI, the CMOS battery on my x299 Dark was also dead - the board had sit in the box a while before being put to use, but these batteries should typically last 10 years (and the board shouldn't be pulling that much current from it - unless there's a defect).

Unfortunately, I built the system and didn't notice the dead battery until I switched off the PSU when doing a memory upgrade.  At least the UEFI allows you to save its settings (to multiple profiles as needed) so it was just a matter of reloading my saved settings and setting the clock.  Probably won't bother changing the battery due to hassle involved in accessing it (although I do have concerns of dead batteries going bad/leaking so probably will eventually).  I've got the system on a UPS, so a full power cut isn't too common.

Wish I had seen this thread (and others) first when building as I would have easily replaced the battery then. 
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: Analysis of X299 Dark’s CMOS battery voltages 2021/10/03 13:29:39 (permalink)
    Mister E...
    FYI, the CMOS battery on my x299 Dark was also dead - the board had sit in the box a while before being put to use, but these batteries should typically last 10 years (and the board shouldn't be pulling that much current from it - unless there's a defect).

I do have concerns of dead batteries going bad/leaking …

I’m not concerned that dead battery could leak as things nowadays seems to be good enough that I don’t remember when was the last time I’ve seen run of the mill CR2032 battery leak.

What I’m really concerned about is exactly what you too mentioned as possibility, that something might be draining battery because these batteries are supposed to last up to 10 years. And all data so far indicates to me this is -NOT- due to isolated batch of batteries.

Possibility of that upsets me. Some of my systems with X299 Dark in them need to stay off the power for as long as months until they are needed and due to what is (in my opinion) poor design CMOS battery on them can’t replaced without completely tearing system apart which would be a pain in the back, especially with water cooled system.

It also upsets me that RMA replacement motherboard ships in such condition. In my opinion it is not acceptable (from customer standpoint) that RMA replacement is shipped in condition that doesn’t work out of the box and requires further work on it by customer.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile