Amazon responds to reports of RTX 3090 GPUs dying after playing New World

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102252
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/07/22 06:27:50 (permalink)
Amazon responds to reports of RTX 3090 GPUs dying after playing New World | KitGuru

In response to the reported RTX 3090 issues, an Amazon spokesperson gave the following statement to KitGuru: “Hundreds of thousands of people played in the New World Closed Beta yesterday, with millions of total hours played. We’ve received a few reports of players using high-performance graphics cards experiencing hardware failure when playing New World. New World makes standard DirectX calls as provided by the Windows API. We have seen no indication of widespread issues with 3090s, either in the beta or during our many months of alpha testing.”

The statement goes on to confirm that in order to “further reassure” players, a patch for New World is being implemented today, which will cap the frame rate of the game in the menu screen.

For the most part, those that did experience an RTX 3090 failure while playing New World were using an EVGA model. The graphics card maker has yet to release a statement of its own on this issue.

I don't know what else to say except that if anyone is having issues with an EVGA GPU contact EVGA support.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Amazon responds to reports of RTX 3090 GPUs dying after playing New World 2021/07/22 10:34:27 (permalink)
    probably just a high end req. game pushing cards too fast/high making the weaker cards more susceptible of giving out...

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Amazon responds to reports of RTX 3090 GPUs dying after playing New World 2021/07/22 12:37:30 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    probably just a high end req. game pushing cards too fast/high making the weaker cards more susceptible of giving out...

^^^Almost always agree with this guy, must be something about common sense that makes me want to agree with him all of the time. However, I also think there're some issues with the 30 series cards.

We saw the subs (EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte etc.) get screwed by Nvidia with a really rushed, and weak launch regarding support/specs. It wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia also had issues on the software side, whereby they gave out specs for developers... which just aren't sustainable in real life (gaming) situations. 

Any good company will over engineer their product for such eventualities; many auto manufacturers have built their business on this. The more I read about Nvidia, the more I see them falling from grace. I'm an Nvidia fan boy, and I can even admit that the 20 series launch wasn't the most spectacular either; over promised and under delivered.

I'm still waiting to see what Intel pulls out of its hat with their new CEO, but likely it will take 5-10yrs to turn that ship around and put them back on top again. Anyways, it's just sad that Nvidia has such an incredible market share, yet failing to live up to standards...maybe Mr. "Poppin' Fresh Dough" needs to step out of the kitchen and hand things over to a younger more energetic CEO.

Just my $.02

Edit: One other thing too... these issues were with EVGA cards, however... EVGA could have found a slight issue with some of the Nvidia proposed architecture, and they can't necessarily come out of the closet and point a finger at Nvida and say "hey you guys screwed up". Unfortunately EVGA probably has to keep their mouth shut and weather the storm. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall when the CEO for EVGA and Nvidia have a brief conversation.
    post edited by cneuhauser - 2021/07/22 12:42:21

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Amazon responds to reports of RTX 3090 GPUs dying after playing New World 2021/07/24 02:38:03 (permalink)
    tl;dr: The 6 RTX3090 that aren't being scalped on ebay or mining Ethereum in China burnt up while loading into New World. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Amazon responds to reports of RTX 3090 GPUs dying after playing New World 2021/07/24 02:45:19 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    tl;dr: The 6 RTX3090 that aren't being scalped on ebay or mining Ethereum in China burnt up while loading into New World. 

I kind of wonder if the fact that EVGA has a way to try to keep them out of the hands of scalpers and into the hands of gamers is why we are seeing EVGA listed. Clearly the cards from other manufacturers up on eBay are not burning up playing a game.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile