Author
blairnorman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 202
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2017/11/27 13:56:13 (permalink)
So I have an interesting question.....

I have a computer build with an EVGA SR-2 in it. 

I am looking for a way to make is so that when power is returned, the computer will boot up.

For example, unplug the computer from the wall, plug it back in, and the computer auto-boot up. 

What is the easiest, and safest way to do this? Can you just jumper the + and - power switch headers on the motherboard? Will that do the trick?

My only concern with that is that a power switch is in theory "momentary", and my jumper would be permanent. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The reason for this post is I purchased an Echo dot, along with a smart outlet.  

My goal is to say "Alexa, turn on the computer".......and not only will it then get power, but ALSO BOOT UP!!

Thanks in advance for any help!
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: "Always On" Computer/Power Switch Mod 2017/11/27 15:11:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby blairnorman 2017/12/05 16:49:09
In BIOS -> Power Management Features, set Restore on AC Power Loss to Power On or Last State.

If you set it to Last State, when the power comes on it will boot up if your PC was on, and it will stay off if your PC was off..Whatever the last power state was.

If you set it to Power On, it will boot up regardless of the last state.

That what you want?

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: "Always On" Computer/Power Switch Mod 2017/11/27 22:44:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby blairnorman 2017/12/05 16:49:19
bob16314
In BIOS -> Power Management Features, set Restore on AC Power Loss to Power On or Last State.

If you set it to Last State, when the power comes on it will boot up if your PC was on, and it will stay off if your PC was off..Whatever the last power state was.

If you set it to Power On, it will boot up regardless of the last state.

That what you want?

+1, the best way to do it
blairnorman
So I have an interesting question.....

I have a computer build with an EVGA SR-2 in it. 

I am looking for a way to make is so that when power is returned, the computer will boot up.

For example, unplug the computer from the wall, plug it back in, and the computer auto-boot up. 

What is the easiest, and safest way to do this? Can you just jumper the + and - power switch headers on the motherboard? Will that do the trick?

My only concern with that is that a power switch is in theory "momentary", and my jumper would be permanent. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The reason for this post is I purchased an Echo dot, along with a smart outlet.  

My goal is to say "Alexa, turn on the computer".......and not only will it then get power, but ALSO BOOT UP!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

the power switch IS a momentary switch, if the wires stay shorted it will just turn off. use the bios feature instead, its the only way short of having something push the power button

are you using sort of network switched Power strip or PDU? you could use a network relay to "push the button" but would some figuring for the hardware (the easy part) and software that alexa can communicate with (the hard part). might want to look into APC at what they have for doing this, you have to use their software but you might find some way of doing it.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
blairnorman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 202
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: "Always On" Computer/Power Switch Mod 2017/12/05 16:49:03 (permalink)
Sorry for the late reply! Thank you both so much! Bios did the trick!

So - I have a TP link smart outlet connected to the powerstrip for my PC. I have that outlet connected to my Amazon Alexa, and use the IFTTT to trigger my command. Now when reach within 1-mile of home, my computer starts up and is booted awaiting my arrival.

freaking awesome!

Thank you so much!
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: "Always On" Computer/Power Switch Mod 2017/12/05 17:43:35 (permalink)
You're welcome..Glad to help.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: "Always On" Computer/Power Switch Mod 2017/12/05 20:22:16 (permalink)
Cool. I may look into that myself, didnt realize the interacted with them, i have a google home so i may see if that will work.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile