EVGA

All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's!

Author
Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3939
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 62
2018/03/29 07:10:11 (permalink)
Here an interesting review which I recall as good news for the GPU marker for both AMD & NVIDIA;

Ethereum ASIC's is the future for miners:

So hopefully GPU prices can drop to far more healthier levels which is much better for us gamers
post edited by Gold Leader - 2018/03/29 07:13:01

16 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/29 07:14:46 (permalink)
    Moving thread to cryptocurrency subsection.
    Chris21010
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1587
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/29 07:42:24 (permalink)
    To bad you do not know that they are thousands of other coins to mine with GPUs other than ETH.

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/29 09:35:05 (permalink)
    How many algorithms are left that ASIC haven't taken over and how often are new ones made ASIC resistant? I have yet to hear of an Equihash ASIC.

Moreover, I am intrigued that while CryptoNight ASICs exist, and authors react by trying to fork Monero, would it really render these new miners obsolete?

For instance, those behind ZClassic built up the hardfork Bitcoin Private, but ZCL still seems relevant having a higher value compared to BTCP. Therefore, despite upcoming Monero fork, CryptoNight ASIC ought to remain useful. But of course there is Electronium.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Viper453
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 630
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/29 14:45:16 (permalink)
    Nicehash mining is also going down hill :(

MIS 4090 Trio 
    i9 10900K
    EVGA 1600 P+
    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 3200 mhz cas 14 32gb
    OS drive 960 pro 2 tb
    2x EVO 860 4TB 
    Monitor ROG PQ32UQX / LG C2 "65

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/29 18:06:18 (permalink)
    I hope so. 

Good God EVGA has a miner sub forum......

jh4db536
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/29 18:32:28 (permalink)
    sounds like a bluff to me. Why would they sell miner rather than mine themselves (months before announcing it like the x3).

Also don't see the total ET hashrate spike exponentially like XmR did in November. It's actually beginning flatten out as profitability & difficulty are past the peak cards are becoming obsolete. Asic entering the game would show huge hashrate influx in a very short period of time

On the contrary, bitmain could be taking huge risks buying up the world supply of memory needed to emulate a GPU in ASIC. That doesn't seem likely though. Maybe they are trying to bluff buterin/et community to patch so they can start developing an ASIC

This can simply be patched to screw ASIC. Just look at monero xmr right when they learned about the x3. Those Asic are being dumped into the market faster than coins are crashing
    post edited by jh4db536 - 2018/03/29 18:51:44

Ryzen 1800, 2600
    EVGA 10 Series, Vega Series
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/29 19:40:54 (permalink)
    lehpron
    How many algorithms are left that ASIC haven't taken over and how often are new ones made ASIC resistant? I have yet to hear of an Equihash ASIC.

Moreover, I am intrigued that while CryptoNight ASICs exist, and authors react by trying to fork Monero, would it really render these new miners obsolete?

For instance, those behind ZClassic built up the hardfork Bitcoin Private, but ZCL still seems relevant having a higher value compared to BTCP. Therefore, despite upcoming Monero fork, CryptoNight ASIC ought to remain useful. But of course there is Electronium.

There are only a double handful or so of algorithms that have ASIC available - SHA256, Scrypt, most or all of the "X series" and it's components (about 10 used in cryptocoin mining, but NOT the algorithm that Ravencoin uses SO FAR), the algo SIA uses, and widely rumored but not yet seen Ethash, and the disaster of the Cryptonight ASICs.
    Equihash is the "most GPUs mining on it" algorithm that does NOT have an ASIC available for it to date.

The Ethash ones are an interesting issue, since Ethereum itself is by far the bulk of the hashrate for that algorithm (and accounts for the majority of GPUs used in cryptocoin mining IN TOTAL) but has been working on a move to Proof of Stake with a likely initial "partial POS" implimentation timeframe of later this year - so any ASIC that shows up for Ethash only has a limited (but uncertain length) time to repay itself before it's primary coin goes POS and mining on it goes POOF - though there will still be the spinoff coins like Ethereum Classic to mine on for those miners and some of those MIGHT still be profitable when Ethereum goes POS - barely, with very low cost electric.

Cryptonight looks like it was a major mistake on the parts of Baikal and Bitmain - Monero has already announced a fork to change the algorithm due in early March BEFORE THE BITMAIN MINER STARTS SHIPPING (the Baikal was a much lower hashrate item and not that big of a threat, being about equal in hashrate to 10 x Vega GPUs), and about half of the other "smaller" coins specifically including Electronium (the SECOND biggest CN hashrate coin) have also announced forks to change algorithm, likely to whatever Monero moves to so the smaller coins can use the same miner software.
    Basically, well over 85% of existing CN hashrate will be moving out of the current CN algorithm to the new algorithm (I think Monero is calling it CN version 7 or some such) once all of the announced forks happen.
    By the time the dust settles, there isn't going to be enough left for the Baikal and Bitmain Cryptonight ASICs to mine ON to ever pay themselves off - and Bitmain has ALREADY been forced to do massive price cuts to try to move the miners they already have in the pipeline, and even did something never before seen in cryptocoin mining - they gave a REFUND to Batch 1 and Batch 2 buyers (though it was in the form of a "coupon for discount off buying future Bitmain products").

The XMR hashrate spike in November was a combination of 2 things - a widely reported "major botnet" deployment, plus a TON of guides that showed up in November about "Vega is a KILLER CN miner GPU" - Newegg had a SALE on those cards about 2 days before the big demand spike hit caused by those guides and Vega cards suddenly became crazy-gouge-priced when you could find them AT ALL, less than a week after folks were putting them on sale 'cause they weren't selling.
    I can date that sale precisely, as that's when I bought MY one and only Vega card.

ETH hashrate has been DROPPING a hair for about the last 2 weeks, as coin price drops have killed most of the profitability and folks stopped adding new rigs and a few folks in VERY high cost electric areas seem to have finally started shutting down a very few rigs.
    Same thing on most other coins, and Bitmain is even having problems selling S9 ASIC units as fast as they can make them, for the first time since they were introduced - despite some major price cuts their OTHER ASIC models are also having "can't sell them very quickly" issues.

post edited by QuintLeo - 2018/03/29 19:44:02

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/03/31 13:38:49 (permalink)
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/02 04:52:42 (permalink)
    Just a bunch of hype.

Globespy
    • Total Posts : 41
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/03 00:14:33 (permalink)
    what's interesting is just how FEW PEOPLE have even bothered to come on here, just the same as every other GPU manufacturer forum.
    Why?
    Because it is the reality that crypto currency miners are a tiny percentage of the total GPU market sales and you have all been taken for a ride by these companies using the mining hype to create a supply/demand frenzy based on nothing more than them very carefully slowing the release of cards into the market.

I know this as a friends father is a big wig at Nvidia and they have plenty of inventory. 
    It's a huge scam. 
    The specially created mining GPU card was nothing but a clever marketing tool to take the heat away from the GPU manufacturers and fool the stupid sheeple out there.
    Why on earth would a miner purchase such a card for almost the same amount as a high end gaming focused GPU? If the cryto currency market fails (or ASIC systems take over) miners can easily sell high end gaming cards but not a chance for mining only cards.

But of course none of these companies will ever admit that.......

Unless you have to upgrade right now and can't wait, sit tight and await the rise of ASIC systems for mining and see that the market will see a brief rise in used GPU's (which I would never ever buy unless I knew the person and they were just gaming on it (as opposed to running full tilt 24/7 in mining applications) and then everyone will see that we were being lied to and manipulated all along.

And then the 11 series cards come out and everyone's expectation of whats a reasonable price for a GPU will have been altered and so the twisted little story continues.
    Unless of course there's a mass of people who see this charade for what it is and stand firm and make Nvidia and everyone else burn until they bring back prices to what they were.

Oh wait....that's for another meeting at the docks.....
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/03 03:18:46 (permalink)
    True for Nvidia, mining has been pretty small potatoes for them - as I've been pointing out for MONTHS now.
    For AMD, it's been a fairly large percentage of their GPU sales since about March of 2017 (I'm not looking at THEIR figures except on "total discrete GPU sales", I'm looking at how many cards HAD to be sold to support the Total Network Hashrate growth for the last year or so), though demand has dropped a lot the last couple months - and availability the last few weeks has gotten a lot better on new cards with some price drop.

ASIC probably will never completely replace GPU mining, as it takes a long time and a LOT of cost to design an ASIC - smaller market-cap coins will probably never have an ASIC available, though I do concede that the "SIA" ones came as a major shock.
    There is also the case of coins that will change algorithms to make it impossible for an ASIC to mine them, like Monero....

I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/03 06:34:00 (permalink)
    i find it funny how some argue that to fix this GPU problem just make all coins ASIC. and then it starts to happen and everyone wants to change things such that its impossible to go that route.

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/03 13:36:47 (permalink)
    It's that "some argue" - with most of the members of the class of "some" NOT being miners.

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11075
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/03 14:45:32 (permalink)
    Globespy
    what's interesting is just how FEW PEOPLE have even bothered to come on here, just the same as every other GPU manufacturer forum.
    Why?
    Because it is the reality that crypto currency miners are a tiny percentage of the total GPU market sales and you have all been taken for a ride by these companies using the mining hype to create a supply/demand frenzy based on nothing more than them very carefully slowing the release of cards into the market.

I know this as a friends father is a big wig at Nvidia and they have plenty of inventory. 
    It's a huge scam. 
    The specially created mining GPU card was nothing but a clever marketing tool to take the heat away from the GPU manufacturers and fool the stupid sheeple out there.
    Why on earth would a miner purchase such a card for almost the same amount as a high end gaming focused GPU? If the cryto currency market fails (or ASIC systems take over) miners can easily sell high end gaming cards but not a chance for mining only cards.

But of course none of these companies will ever admit that.......

Unless you have to upgrade right now and can't wait, sit tight and await the rise of ASIC systems for mining and see that the market will see a brief rise in used GPU's (which I would never ever buy unless I knew the person and they were just gaming on it (as opposed to running full tilt 24/7 in mining applications) and then everyone will see that we were being lied to and manipulated all along.

And then the 11 series cards come out and everyone's expectation of whats a reasonable price for a GPU will have been altered and so the twisted little story continues.
    Unless of course there's a mass of people who see this charade for what it is and stand firm and make Nvidia and everyone else burn until they bring back prices to what they were.

Oh wait....that's for another meeting at the docks.....

I maybe reading your post wrong, but I am taking away there is no shortage and that is a scam.
    On the other hand the ASICs may be made available and that will alleviate the shortage and there will be plenty of cards and the price will drop if you can wait it out.

I think this shortage has a few reasons. A good economy around the world making greater general demand.
    The Christmas season, the rise in bitcoin price and other coins, folding increase with cure/folding coin involved.
    The shortage/price increase of memory and other electronic parts needed. The end of series 10 and gearing up for the next series of cards. Things will get back to normal.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/03 23:37:08 (permalink)
    Folding isn't even a BLIP on Nvidia's radar.

Crunch the numbers, even assuming the average folder uses all GTX 1070 cards (we BOTH know that is unlikely) the total PPD in folding right now amounts to less than 4000 GPUs total.
    In fairness, a lot might be older GPUs so the actual number might be as high as 10,000 - but that would be several YEARS worth of accumulation if it is in fact that high.

I suspect a quarter to half of those cards are EVGA (even us folks that never participated in EVGA points still like their GPUs).

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: All of a sudden GPU Mining will become obsolete thanks to Ethereum ASIC's! 2018/04/04 12:27:48 (permalink)
    all mine are from EVGA 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile