ASUS Z690 Motherboard Lineup Hits Regulators, Mix of DDR5 and DDR4 Variants

Author
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 45
2021/09/14 13:39:48 (permalink)
TechPowerUp - ASUS Z690 Motherboard Lineup Hits Regulators, Mix of DDR5 and DDR4 Variants

“A list of upcoming ASUS motherboards based on the Intel Z690 chipset hit the radar on the Euasian Economic Commission (EEC) website, and it's telling. Intel's upcoming "Alder Lake-S" 12th Gen Core desktop processors support both DDR5 and DDR4 memory, as they form a point of transition between the two memory standards. The company would want to avoid placing the additional burden of new memory on people with DDR4 memory kits. This reflects on the ASUS motherboard lineup.

The lineup consists of the usual, predictable list of ROG Maximus, ROG Strix, TUF Gaming, Prime, and ProArt series SKUs, but what's noteworthy is that many of these come with the extension "D4," denoting DDR4 memory slots. For example, something like the Prime Z690-A comes in two variants, the standard one with DDR5 slots, and the "D4" variant with DDR4. It's interesting to note here, that the top-of-the-line ROG Maximus XIV series lacks any D4 variant, which means they'll remain DDR5-exclusive. We can't tell just from the names whether any of these models features both DDR5 and DDR4 slots.”

Upon release, I’m sure ASUS, and every other MB manufacturer will highlight clearly if they support both DDR4 and DDR5 “as a feature.”

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: ASUS Z690 Motherboard Lineup Hits Regulators, Mix of DDR5 and DDR4 Variants 2021/09/14 16:49:05 (permalink)
    experience says that MB that support multiple RAM types are a master of none....

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: ASUS Z690 Motherboard Lineup Hits Regulators, Mix of DDR5 and DDR4 Variants 2021/09/14 16:54:06 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    experience says that MB that support multiple RAM types are a master of none....

I agree with that, if your moving up to a new platform that supports DDR5, then go for DDR5 only.  This is why I but quotations around as a feature.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile