Author
cotter32
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 234
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2021/11/04 19:04:52 (permalink)
Remember America Online ?
They offer a free, secure web browser for old Windows XP and Vista computers that works pretty good .
https://getonline.aol.com/xp-vista
I would still set the OS internet options, and browser settings to highest security, and limit internet activities for safeties sake.
We don't like those pop-ups anyways .

One small step ...

5 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AOL Offers Up To Date Secure Browser for Windows XP and Vista 2021/11/04 21:02:44 (permalink)
    I couldn't even imagine what loading a modern website on dial up internet would be like. Probably takes five minutes to get a modern site to load with all of the pictures now used.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: AOL Offers Up To Date Secure Browser for Windows XP and Vista 2021/11/05 07:41:36 (permalink)
    AOL was acquired by Verizon in 2015 and this year, Verizon sold AOL and Yahoo to Apollo Global Management.  So maybe the new owners are pushing this.

Apollo is a huge private investment firm that owns or controls a lot of diverse corporations.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: AOL Offers Up To Date Secure Browser for Windows XP and Vista 2021/11/06 14:56:28 (permalink)
    Dead AOL offers a secure browser for dead operating systems.  Why even bother?  Are they a meme company now?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

cotter32
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 234
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: AOL Offers Up To Date Secure Browser for Windows XP and Vista 2021/11/06 17:28:37 (permalink)
    Dial-up would be slow, but it could download small files, do webmail, and such .  I have cable, and on a pretty good old Vista 32bit computer,
    it is a decent web browser .  The default home page is blank, but I set it to AOL as a reward for them .  I will pay attention to the advertising :)
    Anyway, the page is medium heavy, but loads fine .  Scrolling down is a little balky, but goes smooth if you stop, or pause their streaming video .
    The web search function works fine .  It loads web pages fine, but as I said, I will only use it on a limited basis .  I have two perfectly good Windows10
    computers, and a Windows7 computer for real easy web serfing .
    In my opinion AOL / Apolo has recognized an unserviced customer niche by providing AOL Shield web browser .  There are probably millions of
    Windows XP and Vista computers out there whose owners would like to have a free, secure web browser .  It's a vehicle for advertising .
    It makes sense because the millions of owners keep their old computers for good reasons .  They use them to run old software and games .
    They store tons of files, photos, and movies in them .  Sometimes they even use them to control machines .  Some of their old computers
    are really good computers, and were expensive to build/buy .  These computers are going to continue to be used .
    So, something like this is nice for those people, and makes them like AOL at least a little .

P.S.  turn on all the pop-up blockers and such if you try it out .

To the Moon !

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: AOL Offers Up To Date Secure Browser for Windows XP and Vista 2021/11/06 17:54:52 (permalink)
    Apollo Global Management had to have a reason that they believe might turn a profit.  Their AUM (Assets under management) in 2020 was $455 Billion US.  Their Net Income for 2019 was $1.5 Billion US.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile