AnsweredAMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/09/19 14:37:51 (permalink)
Xav, given the exact same cooler size and the exact same amount of airflow (your own stipulations which I maintained), a blower cooler will perform worse than an axial-cooler.
Watch the video starting at 10m 06sec (I linked to it) to realize the mistake you made.
The process of heat transfer is convection, and it is greatly affected by the amount of difference in temperature between the heatsink and the air. Traditional blower heatsinks have long channels. The air heats up as it absorbs heat. As it heats up, it is able to absorb less heat. The longer the channel, the more the air heats up, and the less the air is able to absorb additional heat. Let's presume that the air in the blower -- at the same amount of airflow as an axial cooler of the exact same size -- reaches the same temperature as the heatsink 3/4 of the way down the channel. Thus, the last 1/4 of the heatsink does nothing since there is no longer a temperature difference between the heatsink and the air flowing by it. Thus, it is less efficient and the same size heatsink with the same amount of airflow provides less cooling.
Watch the video I linked to.
NVIDIA's latest FE cards use a well-designed blower/axial hybrid -- which I stated in this thread or in a different thread. But it is certainly not a traditional blower card. When comparing traditional blowers to traditional axial coolers, as I stated, what I said is true. Watch that portion of the video I specified, understand the mistake you made, then re-read everything I wrote. It all makes sense and takes into account everything you said (except for the parts where you were mistaken).
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/09/19 21:34:49

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/09/19 17:26:58 (permalink)
🤔
In another words i was right😼
The new AMD card blows air out since it has a short tunnel to release hot air, ye😸

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/09/19 21:09:56 (permalink)

Although I'm well aware the axial cooler is significantly better than the blower cooler when sitting on an open test bench or even an open-sided case with good air flow and good dispersal of the expelled hot air, the problem is that most people do not run open-air rigs, so unless you have very good case air flow, all that hot air dumping into the case from an axial cooler is (a) in part going to get sucked right back in to the GPU and raise the GPU operating temperature, thereby offsetting at least a small amount of the gains it has over blower cooling otherwise, and (b) is also going to make the CPU, RAM, motherboard, NVMe drive etc. more toasty, as well as possibly then be pushed out through a CPU radiator, so it's going to negatively impact every other component in the rig other than the GPU, which of course a blower cooler would not. It's a trade-off, and one that is rarely actually measured, in fact I don't recall seeing anyone look at the overall impact of blower vs axial GPU cooling instead of just the impact on the GPU alone, so it would be interesting to check that out. Clearly strong and effective case air flow is critical with axial GPU cooling - which means louder/more fans, so that kind of counters the argument that blowers are louder. The other thing is that the axial GPU cooling would not do well in the tight enclosed spaces of a mini-ITX build, whereas a blower cooler serves to also remove some heat build-up inside the case, and that (at least for me) is the primary reason for wanting blower cooling - for mini-ITX builds.

For builds in standard-sized or large cases, give me AiO or custom loops any day of the week.

post edited by Nereus - 2020/09/19 21:18:15

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/09/19 21:22:15 (permalink)
not true a few companies have developed a transversal blower

its better than both
it pushed air down the blades like a tornado down the length of the fan  while pushing air directly on the fins - it works like both
and it scoops cool air from the entire length of the blower so you get cool air everywhere

another company has developed spherical cooling - rather than fins the put pins around the heat tubes

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/09/19 21:27:28 (permalink)
Nereus

Although I'm well aware the axial cooler is significantly better than the blower cooler when sitting on an open test bench or even an open-sided case with good air flow and good dispersal of the expelled hot air, the problem is that most people do not run open-air rigs, so unless you have very good case air flow, all that hot air dumping into the case from an axial cooler is (a) in part going to get sucked right back in to the GPU and raise the GPU operating temperature, thereby offsetting at least a small amount of the gains it has over blower cooling otherwise, and (b) is also going to make the CPU, RAM, motherboard, NVMe drive etc. more toasty, as well as possibly then be pushed out through a CPU radiator, so it's going to negatively impact every other component in the rig other than the GPU, which of course a blower cooler would not. It's a trade-off, and one that is rarely actually measured, in fact I don't recall seeing anyone look at the overall impact of blower vs axial GPU cooling instead of just the impact on the GPU alone, so it would be interesting to check that out. Clearly strong and effective case air flow is critical with axial GPU cooling - which means louder/more fans, so that kind of counters the argument that blowers are louder. The other thing is that the axial GPU cooling would not do well in the tight enclosed spaces of a mini-ITX build, whereas a blower cooler serves to also remove some heat build-up inside the case, and that (at least for me) is the primary reason for wanting blower cooling - for mini-ITX builds.

For builds in standard-sized or large cases, give me AiO or custom loops any day of the week.

actually there have been a few analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sJHZAdefJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAKyh-qqQCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0domMRFG1Rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0FTAFhnh3E

put a axial gpu in and in 5 mins the computer overheated
put a blowergpu  in and it never did that

Airflow thru case can be an issue -
multiple gpus can be an issue
small form factor itx build or dense build where there is a lot in the case
or in a area where reducing airflow is more benefical like the sahara
dust storms - reducing airflow while keeping the case cooler not helpful when you are pulling 100f heat either
ie military
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2020/09/19 21:40:18

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Frankfraga
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/09/25 09:10:29 (permalink)
You would think that but with the supply issue with invidia cards this might build up enough to have a massive buy out if AMD comes close to the performance of the 30 series at the same or better price. I can speak for myself if I don’t acquire a 3080 at retail before AMD comes out I’m jumping ship if the performance is respectable.
robertdinh
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/09/25 13:27:20 (permalink)
I think nvidia got caught on a less-than-ideal node, and that amd will be fairly competitive this time around.  
nosoul05
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28 2020/10/01 15:18:52 (permalink)
1 more week getting super pumped to see what they announce. 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile