Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 71012
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 67
2019/01/10 02:13:47 (permalink)
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_has_ray_tracing_gpus_in_development/1

Yesterday AMD announced the Radeon 7. Both Tom's Hardware and PC World have managed to get interviews with AMD's CEO, Lisa Su, with both outlets confirming that AMD has ray tracing technology on development, with Lisa Su reaffirming that they are on ray tracing "both on the hardware side and the software side".  

To Tom's Hardware Lisa Su said that they would "hear more about our (AMD's) plans as we go through the year", suggesting that ray tracing hardware may be revealed by AMD a lot sooner than expected. 

I think Ray Tracing would be a great asset to AMD if they can pull it off. 

Specs: AMD 2920X Threadripper, Corsair MP510 M.2, 64GB Corsair RGB Dominator,  ASRock X399 Taichi, Corsair 1000D, EVGA RTX 2080 Black

62 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16773
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/10 04:08:26 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_has_ray_tracing_gpus_in_development/1

Yesterday AMD announced the Radeon 7. Both Tom's Hardware and PC World have managed to get interviews with AMD's CEO, Lisa Su, with both outlets confirming that AMD has ray tracing technology on development, with Lisa Su reaffirming that they are on ray tracing "both on the hardware side and the software side".  

To Tom's Hardware Lisa Su said that they would "hear more about our (AMD's) plans as we go through the year", suggesting that ray tracing hardware may be revealed by AMD a lot sooner than expected. 

I think Ray Tracing would be a great asset to AMD if they can pull it off. 

Radeon 7 doesn't have Ray Tracing? Oh my that's bad news.

Use My Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase!
    Use My Affiliate Code to register your product.
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5147
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/10 04:22:32 (permalink)
    AMD needs to make a RT drop in card. Add RT to old AMD cards, old Nvidia cards, to your salad. This would hurt Nvidia sales if people can just keep their 1060 and 1080s and drop in a $100 dedicated RT card... you know like the PPU back in the PhysX days.

Anybody acting as if Ray Tracing matters at the moment is crazy. It's very cool, but isn't adopted by enough games to matter just yet. ( It will matter, just not now).

kram36
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/10 19:39:59 (permalink)
    seth89
    AMD needs to make a RT drop in card. Add RT to old AMD cards, old Nvidia cards, to your salad. This would hurt Nvidia sales if people can just keep their 1060 and 1080s and drop in a $100 dedicated RT card... you know like the PPU back in the PhysX days.

Anybody acting as if Ray Tracing matters at the moment is crazy. It's very cool, but isn't adopted by enough games to matter just yet. ( It will matter, just not now).

Funny, games are out right now and more coming out with Ray Tracing and we have 3DMark Port Royal Ray Tracing benchmark and AMD owners that buy the new Radeon 7 card that can't run Ray Tracing at the same price of the Nvidia RTX 2080 card that will run Ray Tracing. AMD buyers are left out at the same price and you don't see the issue?
    post edited by kram36 - 2019/01/10 19:44:19

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21635
    • Ribbons : 35
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/10 20:13:10 (permalink)
    It's amazing just how much importance people are putting on a feature that has no real world market penetration. Almost nothing uses DX12, and DXR is a subset of DX12. DXR will be largely irrelevant for 2-3 series of cards until there are enough installed userbase out there for game devs to take it seriously. You don't develop a game for the least installed render pipeline. You develop for the most installed userbase. Nvidia is living in a dream world when they emphasize the importance of AI and DXR right now. Get back with me in about 2022 and it might be different, but now it's a bit of an absurd joke.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/01/10 20:50:53
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 03:25:31 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    It's amazing just how much importance people are putting on a feature that has no real world market penetration. Almost nothing uses DX12, and DXR is a subset of DX12. DXR will be largely irrelevant for 2-3 series of cards until there are enough installed userbase out there for game devs to take it seriously. You don't develop a game for the least installed render pipeline. You develop for the most installed userbase. Nvidia is living in a dream world when they emphasize the importance of AI and DXR right now. Get back with me in about 2022 and it might be different, but now it's a bit of an absurd joke.

I agree. The technology is there but it will take a while to implement and of course proper implementation is up the game manufacturer. 

Specs: AMD 2920X Threadripper, Corsair MP510 M.2, 64GB Corsair RGB Dominator,  ASRock X399 Taichi, Corsair 1000D, EVGA RTX 2080 Black

kram36
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 04:37:50 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Brad_Hawthorne

I agree. The technology is there but it will take a while to implement and of course proper implementation is up the game manufacturer. 

Ha ha! AMD buyers are left out on the current tech at the same price and you don't see the issue?

tech73x
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 165
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 06:16:18 (permalink)
    Good for them waiting on new RTX tech and getting it right instead of the dumpster fire that Nvidia has done with the 2080 series.
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1467
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 06:46:24 (permalink)
    kram36

Ha ha! AMD buyers are left out on the current tech at the same price and you don't see the issue?

You're missing the point. Albeit deliberately.

RTX was not what the consumer wanted, and with performance reviews of RTX cards, not what the consumer expected. This technology needs time to mature and I don't see AMD at a disadvantage for not incorporating something that Nvidia took one off the chin for.

Consumers want decent frame rates at the highest resolutions possible, for now. Nvidia and now AMD both attacked that segment. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Once you've tamed a technology, introducing it wholesale will garner attention and result in favourable revenue without deluding the public. 

When they released DXR they knew how dismal performance was, even at 1080p. But the idiots were salivating because it was proclaimed, without any substantial formula, that... "It just works".

The prices I do not agree with, from either camp. As pointed out above, Radeon 7 prices are representative of 16GB of HBM2 which is notoriously pricey. Imagine the prices of Nvidia cards if they incorporated HBM2, as well.
    MasterMiner
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 315
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 09:46:42 (permalink)
    panzlock
    kram36

RTX was not what the consumer wanted, and with performance reviews of RTX cards, not what the consumer expected. This technology needs time to mature and I don't see AMD at a disadvantage for not incorporating something that Nvidia took one off the chin for.

Consumers want decent frame rates at the highest resolutions possible, for now. Nvidia and now AMD both attacked that segment. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Once you've tamed a technology, introducing it wholesale will garner attention and result in favourable revenue without deluding the public. 

When they released DXR they knew how dismal performance was, even at 1080p. But the idiots were salivating because it was proclaimed, without any substantial formula, that... "It just works".

The prices I do not agree with, from either camp. As pointed out above, Radeon 7 prices are representative of 16GB of HBM2 which is notoriously pricey. Imagine the prices of Nvidia cards if they incorporated HBM2, as well.

Bingo.

16gb of HBM2 is more appealing to me than Ray Tracing. For $699 that is a very compelling price point.

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 12953
    • Ribbons : 36
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 10:41:37 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne

Exactly.

We will be on 3rd next gens of cards before it even becomes integrated , much less effective to have turned on & running at decent frames.
     Single player games I would say effective sooner , but for Multiplay/ online ? - No one has time to notice it, much less want the drag on FPS

Intel Core i5-6600K SKYLAKE ~ MSI Z170A-G45 gaming board ~ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming iCX tech, RGB LED ~ G.SKILL Ripjaws V series 16 GB DDR4 3200 ~ CORSAIR Vengeance C-70 Military Green case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Platinum2 PSU ~ Crucial MX300 275 Gig SSD ~ CORSAIR H80i V2 cooler ~ Logitech G502 Proteus Core mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 RGB Mechanical Keyboard~ HGST NAS -2TB Hd & 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 31.5" Curved Gaming Monitor 2560 X 1440 (144Hz) ~ Win 10 x64 
    ................ GET UP TO A 10% DISCOUNT ON PURCHASES BY CLICKING ....VVVVVVVVV.........

kram36
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 10:57:18 (permalink)
    panzlock
    kram36

I'm not missing anything. It's the AMD buyers that are missing features. I love Ray Tracing, too bad AMD doesn't offer it to their customers at the same $700 price of the RTX 2080 that does offer it. Radeon 7 is a dud. Nvidia will gain more market share for AMD's failures.

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8927
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 11:53:47 (permalink)
    Just give us a single GPU that can do 144FPS+@1440/4K, upgraded cuda/physics, and decent monitor/panel tech that actually works, no body want to pay an extra $500 that doesn't sell to begin with.

"Where's, Fury?!"...

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9226
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/11 15:29:46 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Brad_Hawthorne

You are both correct. this BS of Ray Tracing propaganda is what have consumers arguing with each other for completely NON SENSE.  AMD is offering more freaking memory and on top an equivalent or should i say better memory.  Ray Tracing is freaking software not hardware at the moment.  Like Battlefield V will require to use all CPU cores, hence AMD launchers new line of CPUs with more cores at a decent price set, and yet we have the Intel and Nvidia fanboys bashing over a product that is freaking better not just in price but in performance. People cry about Ghz or Ray Tracing, yet you fail to see the point that is better to get another hardware with more benefits not just in competition, but for your wallets as well.  WAKE THE FREAK UP!
    Ask yourselves this, memory wise whats more expensive?  12GB DDR6 or 16GB HBM2? GPU size 12 mm or 7mm freaking die?
    Tell me
    post edited by atfrico - 2019/01/11 15:32:24

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags!
     The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. When you abuse it, it reverses on you and it hurts you.The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5718
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/12 07:03:37 (permalink)
    from what im hearing 
    radeon 7 eats more power than Nvidia
    costs $750 to make(add in some profit margin so price somewhere around a 2080ti ) - so don't expect cheap cards - if you have to ask look at 3dcenter.org on info
    performs somewhere around a 2070
    and can't do Ray traciing

heck rtx sounds good

if this is true so much for AMD this year
    Still this is only vega 20 - where is navi-??? like next year
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2019/01/12 07:34:24

Primes found        Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 15315
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/12 08:16:45 (permalink)
    Lets see some reviews of actual performance & see if AMD can push performance or Nvidia in a meaningful way that Helps the consumer

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK-5930K,EVGA2080Ti EVGA-1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 3-GPU Water Loop 1600P2  AIO Folding  1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, 1200P

Thank You for Your Support

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5718
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/12 08:26:37 (permalink)
    you mean you don't trust AMD flavor of the month benchmarks???

rtx on/off??  DLSS/ on/off - AMD GPU OC to nvidia stock
    picking games that react more to CPU cores than GPU to gain an advantage

LOL i know what ya mean

if they are gonna compare them you show both cards at their best otherwise your tanking numbers on your competitor
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2019/01/12 08:30:16

Primes found        Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/12 14:11:29 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious

LOL i know what ya mean

if they are gonna compare them you show both cards at their best otherwise your tanking numbers on your competitor

I think the best thing to do is to wait when reviewers post their own reviews.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/12 18:02:45 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious

LOL i know what ya mean

Yeah, I will spend the mula in a GPU that cost a bit less with more memory, more high tech and not the Ray Tracing B.S. thing that barely is growing and is not having a fan base or demand yet. How many months had passed already and i dont see a patch that enhance the current games with Ray Tracing? Tomb Raider? aside from that what other game again?  Anyone?........ yeah i rest my case right there.  Better yet, get the GPU that works and does not die in 1 month of OCing or should i say do not last longer even though it has the most cough cough bs advanced cooler than the competition.

The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. When you abuse it, it reverses on you and it hurts you.The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.
    kram36
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/12 20:39:24 (permalink)
    atfrico
     How many months had passed already and i dont see a patch that enhance the current games with Ray Tracing? Tomb Raider? aside from that what other game again?  Anyone?........ yeah i rest my case right there.

Battlefield 5 has Ray Tracing right now and there is also the 3DMark Port Royal benchmark and all AMD users are shut out of this great tech for the same cost of a RTX 2080? Oh my goodness, AMD flopped a dud out and people are actually trying to make an argument for AMD's lack of competition with Nvidia's tech lol.

There are 21 games coming out that will support Ray Tracing.

https://www.pcgamer.com/21-games-will-support-nvidias-real-time-ray-tracing-here-are-demos-of-tomb-raider-and-control/

Some nice videos of it here.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/games-support-nvidia-ray-tracing/

If you don't understand the importance of Ray Tracing, have a nice read here.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2018/09/06/why-ray-tracing-in-games-is-huge/

I'm embarrassed for some people around here.

GTXJackBauer
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5242
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 06:07:32 (permalink)

Looking to purchase a EVGA 2080 Ti Kingpin and a EVGA KingPin Waterblock? 

Use this Associate Code to get 5%-10% discounts on all your EVGA purchasesLMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Use this Rewards Code below when registering your EVGA products.
    bigc4200
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 06:58:35 (permalink)
    kram36
    atfrico
     How many months had passed already and i dont see a patch that enhance the current games with Ray Tracing? Tomb Raider? aside from that what other game again?  Anyone?........ yeah i rest my case right there.

Battlefield 5 has Ray Tracing right now and there is also the 3DMark Port Royal benchmark and all AMD users are shut out of this great tech for the same cost of a RTX 2080? Oh my goodness, AMD flopped a dud out and people are actually trying to make an argument for AMD's lack of competition with Nvidia's tech lol.

https://www.pcgamer.com/21-games-will-support-nvidias-real-time-ray-tracing-here-are-demos-of-tomb-raider-and-control/

Great I will again say ray tracing will make gaming great again just not this year... But nvidia rushed it and kinda sucks still ..
    I own 2080 ti and play battlefield … I have asked at least 4 people to which 1 could really notice..
    And the easiest wat to find if rtx is on is from glitches light just 2 specs of light you can see shine ..or walking past corner of truck puddle looks good but you can see weird issues .. also they took a lot out of the game to help because everyone was hammering them for 1200 1080p 60hz fps rtx..
    so look know I can run 4k rtx on but is it really on???lol hard to tell anymore
    So yeah great idea sure it will get there but other than port royal which I am 36 place .. big deal
    Dlss is just nvidias tsaa upscale tech they modified and call DLSS if deep learing super sampling means you have to take away quality of my game details to make fps go up … No thanks I would rather pick my own settings to turn down instead on rendering less to the naked eye...Great tech there aswell  I thought they meant I could control a Telsa car with my gpu now that would be cool//

MSI 990fxa-gd80
     Kingston savage 1866 2x8 16 gb 
     sansung 250 ssd evo
    kingwin 1000 watt power supply
     evga 970 ssc model 3975
    amd 8310 cpu running 4.3
    windows 7 64bit 
    inwin 707 case with raijntek cpu cooler

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 09:21:01 (permalink)
    kram36
    atfrico

So let me get this straight, you think the consumers don't know that the Radeon GPUs being released dont have Ray Tracing? They do and its up to them to decide. 
    You say you are embarrassed for some people in here, i am embarrassed for those who own the Nvidia over priced tag of GPUs and hide the fact that the RTX Cards are dying like a fail tech from the 20th century.....instead of telling the truth and coming out with facts, why don't you post a thread about the expensive GPUs failing like a cheap made tech?

As far as per the games go, you are telling me i need to purchase these games to enjoy Ray Tracing....lol. Instead of patching the existing game with Ray Tracing for freaking free, Nvidia wants you to play/pay for new games.....funny isn't instead of just giving you a % off from those game since you already pay/still paying premium prices for those fail/die GPUs.
    Again AMD is helping the market by creating competition, Ray Tracing or not, AMD is giving Nvidia a reason to reduce its RTX GPUs prices.   It is very funny the GPUs are not even 6 months old and some people are already selling theirs....lmao. That says many things.
    oh and let me say this one more time, you are paying high prices for a tech that's not a new tech, just a refresh tech said by the video below plus DDR6 and that is it.
    AMD offers NOT RAY TRACING, like you said right?  more memory plus is HBM2, 7mm size die GPU (lets see if they will overheat and die like the cheap size 12mm from Nvidia) yet an affordable price of $700? 

Microsoft already patch the DX12 with RT extensions, it is up to the developers and Nvidia and AMD to enforce it, period

GTXJackBauer

Thank you for posting this explanation for the people who dont have an idea what Ray Tracing does.w

kram36
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 09:33:38 (permalink)
    bigc4200
    But nvidia rushed it and kinda sucks still ..

It sucks to you because you don't have a card capable of Ray Tracing.

atfrico

So let me get this straight, you think the consumers don't know that the Radeon GPUs being released dont have Ray Tracing? They do and its up to them to decide.

No, I said it's sad how AMD fans are trying to act like Ray Tracing is nothing. AMD is so far behind Nvidia in tech it's silly. For $700, give me the card that has all the tech and that isn't going to AMD.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 09:41:34 (permalink)
    kram36
    bigc4200

atfrico

No, I said it's sad how AMD fans are trying to act like Ray Tracing is nothing. AMD is so far behind Nvidia in tech it's silly. For $700, give me the card that has all the tech and that isn't going to AMD.

It sucks to be bigc4200? lmao.  No Kram it sucks to be you for waiting that long to play games on a refresh tech not a new tech.  It sucks to be you of the fact i will be paying less money for a better card that will have ray tracing in the coming months and will not have to worry about dying on me by then.
    I am still playing my games with no Ray Tracing so still irrelevant to me and to many others.....if Ray Tracing was the ****, why i dont see the consoles adapting this so ALMIGHTY RAY TRACING tech? You see any announcement indicating Ray Tracing available for PS 5?  it is going to be launch this year, so is the XBox? anyone? Do you see any of these companies desperately going after Ray Tracing.......lol
    post edited by atfrico - 2019/01/13 09:47:19

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 10:16:32 (permalink)
    Just a fact check in case no one has seen this, that includes Kram

kram36
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 10:28:16 (permalink)
    atfrico
    kram36
    bigc4200

atfrico

It sucks to be bigc4200? lmao.  No Kram it sucks to be you for waiting that long to play games on a refresh tech not a new tech.  It sucks to be you of the fact i will be paying less money for a better card that will have ray tracing in the coming months and will not have to worry about dying on me by then.
    I am still playing my games with no Ray Tracing so still irrelevant to me and to many others.....if Ray Tracing was the ****, why i dont see the consoles adapting this so ALMIGHTY RAY TRACING tech? You see any announcement indicating Ray Tracing available for PS 5?  it is going to be launch this year, so is the XBox? anyone? Do you see any of these companies desperately going after Ray Tracing.......lol

No atfrico, it does not suck to be me. You would love to be me.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 11:18:00 (permalink)
    kram36
    atfrico
    kram36
    bigc4200

atfrico

No atfrico, it does not suck to be me. You would love to be me.

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16151
    • Ribbons : 188
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 11:25:23 (permalink)
    My personal thought on ray tracing for gaming is if it can be retro applied to older games to make them look better, awesome, but otherwise I don't care.

With that in mind, would AMD and nVidia (and Intel) have to make their own unified render engine software tailored to their hardware for developers? That way this adoption delay wouldn't occur and older titles can benefit better from future hardware because the engine isn't tied to the game.

As for implementation, it's the equivalent of putting a SoC with a mini SSD on the graphics card. Turning the graphics card into its own computer with one task, an ASIC card 😂, or a separate card like PhysX used to be.
    post edited by lehpron - 2019/01/13 12:35:52

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8927
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/13 12:38:47 (permalink)
    Unless we can get a single GPU that can do 1440/4K@144/no-image-tearing with or without RT, RT is pointless, we should totally be a higher-res/higher FPS games already, why do we still even have 1080p monitors and TN panels still, we need to move tech forward not this looks pretty horsecap, lets work on the basics first.... 

"Where's, Fury?!"...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile