Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/12/02 23:41:44 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/261761/amd-x570-successor-to-be-third-party-sourced

AMD X570 chipset is the industry's first PC platform core-logic to support PCI-Express gen 4.0, but has proven to be expensive and hot. Its 600-series chipset successor will be third-party sourced much like its 400-series predecessor, according to a MyDrivers report citing sources in the motherboard industry. AMD is reportedly sourcing its 500-series mid-range chipset, the B550, from ASMedia. The B550 uses PCI-Express 3.0 x4 as its chipset bus, and puts out eight PCIe gen 3.0 downstream general purpose lanes, however, B550 motherboards could still feature PCI-Express 4.0 x16 slots from the socket AM4 SoC (provided a 3rd gen Ryzen processor is installed), and at least one of the M.2 NVMe slots on B550 motherboards could have PCI-Express 4.0 x4, since they're wired to the SoC instead of the chipset.

The MyDrivers report predicts that the successor to X570, the supposed "X670," could be sourced from a third-party firm, much like the B550, and implement PCI-Express gen 4.0, not just as chipset-bus, but also putting out PCI-Express gen 4.0 general purpose lanes. A possible design goal of the X670 could be to implement PCIe gen 4.0 switching fabric without running too hot, resulting in a cooler chipset than can make do with fanless cooling solutions, much like the X470. AMD will continue to make "chipsets" in the form of I/O controller dies for use in its MCM processors, although the relatively low-margin motherboard chipset business could be axed.

Personally I believe AMD could be making a good decision in this area as companies such as ASmedia have been doing a very good job with making chipsets. The next gen chipset, if designed correctly, could do without a fan. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

7 Replies Related Threads

vegajf51
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 561
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced 2019/12/03 01:00:49 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    https://www.techpowerup.com/261761/amd-x570-successor-to-be-third-party-sourced

AMD X570 chipset is the industry's first PC platform core-logic to support PCI-Express gen 4.0, but has proven to be expensive and hot. Its 600-series chipset successor will be third-party sourced much like its 400-series predecessor, according to a MyDrivers report citing sources in the motherboard industry. AMD is reportedly sourcing its 500-series mid-range chipset, the B550, from ASMedia. The B550 uses PCI-Express 3.0 x4 as its chipset bus, and puts out eight PCIe gen 3.0 downstream general purpose lanes, however, B550 motherboards could still feature PCI-Express 4.0 x16 slots from the socket AM4 SoC (provided a 3rd gen Ryzen processor is installed), and at least one of the M.2 NVMe slots on B550 motherboards could have PCI-Express 4.0 x4, since they're wired to the SoC instead of the chipset.

The MyDrivers report predicts that the successor to X570, the supposed "X670," could be sourced from a third-party firm, much like the B550, and implement PCI-Express gen 4.0, not just as chipset-bus, but also putting out PCI-Express gen 4.0 general purpose lanes. A possible design goal of the X670 could be to implement PCIe gen 4.0 switching fabric without running too hot, resulting in a cooler chipset than can make do with fanless cooling solutions, much like the X470. AMD will continue to make "chipsets" in the form of I/O controller dies for use in its MCM processors, although the relatively low-margin motherboard chipset business could be axed.

Personally I believe AMD could be making a good decision in this area as companies such as ASmedia have been doing a very good job with making chipsets. The next gen chipset, if designed correctly, could do without a fan. 

Ya the X570 chipset is literally just a repurposed  Ryzen 3k 12nm IO die made by Global foundries. I am sure a purpose built chipset die would be smaller, more power efficient and lower cost. Repurposing the IO die was a very clever idea to get pcie gen 4 to market faster but much of the die space is wasted.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced 2019/12/03 11:23:41 (permalink)
    Those are the growing pains of next gen hardware .....

and the hazards of being one of the First consumers to buy New hardware designs .... you just have to hope it works as intended & lasts - then when you see the next new & improved version finally roll out ...........

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

KCNeil
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced 2019/12/03 15:21:05 (permalink)
    Why am I getting scores in Nova Bench with an average of overall GPU of 627 and FPS of 76 and GFlops of 9018 ?
    The description it says is 41% LOWER than my average configuration?
    My video card is an EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID, this card was not cheap and it was supposed to be very quick.
    In another machine I own I am getting more than twice this performance and it's just a cheap 1050 air cooled card?
    Should my card be submitted for warranty?

Thanks, KCNeil 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced 2019/12/03 19:32:27 (permalink)
    KCNeil
    Why am I getting scores in Nova Bench with an average of overall GPU of 627 and FPS of 76 and GFlops of 9018 ?
    My video card is an EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID, this card was not cheap and it was supposed to be very quick.
    In another machine I own I am getting more than twice this performance and it's just a cheap 1050 air cooled card?

Thanks, KCNeil 

Please start your own thread in the correct section. The 10 series section. Thanks.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced 2019/12/03 19:47:08 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    KCNeil

Thanks, KCNeil 

Please start your own thread in the correct section. The 10 series section. Thanks.

I got the perfect image for this occasion

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced 2019/12/03 20:26:02 (permalink)
    I think it's best when the chipset is made by the company making the CPU. I feel less chance of having something go wrong but that is just me I know it's pretty common in the industry but it makes me not want to be an early adopter until I see it's stable.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2019/12/03 21:13:45

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

MadmanRB
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 339
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced 2019/12/04 19:14:08 (permalink)
    Well if this makes PCIE gen4 more affordable i say I am in favor of it, third party sourced or not

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile