EVGA

AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/01/11 00:36:19 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/251444/amd-radeon-vii-detailed-some-more-die-size-secret-sauce-ray-tracing-and-more

To begin with, the company talks about the immediate dividends of switching from 14 nm to 7 nm, with a reduction in die-size from 495 mm² on the "Vega 10" silicon to 331 mm² on the new "Vega 20" silicon. The company has reworked the die to feature a 4096-bit wide HBM2 memory interface, the "Vega 20" MCM now features four 32 Gbit HBM2 memory stacks, which make up the card's 16 GB of memory. The memory clock has been dialed up to 1000 MHz from 945 MHz on the RX Vega 64, which when coupled with the doubled bus-width, works out to a phenomenal 1 TB/s memory bandwidth. 

AMD is attempting to make up the vast 44 percent performance gap between the RX Vega 64 and the GeForce RTX 2080 with a combination of factors. First, AMD appears to be maximizing the clock-speed headroom achieved from the switch to 7 nm. The Radeon VII can boost its engine clock all the way up to 1800 MHz, which may not seem significantly higher than the on-paper 1545 MHz boost frequency of the RX Vega 64, but the Radeon VII probably sustains its boost frequencies better. 

The Radeon VII will be available from 7th February, priced at $699, which is on-par with the SEP of the RTX 2080, despite the lack of real-time raytracing (at least at launch). AMD could shepherd its developer-relations on future titles being increasingly reliant on asynchronous compute, the "Vulkan" API, and other technologies its hardware is good at.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

8 Replies Related Threads

HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/12 04:43:52 (permalink)
    Same MSRP? Disappointed there. AMD is has always been the budget alternative. If they're going to be lacking RT, they need to be superior in rasterization to ask the same price.  We'll see what the reviewers say.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/12 23:12:06 (permalink)
    I suspect the Vega II will be discounted slightly below the RTX 2080 to gain some momentum

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/12 23:49:13 (permalink)
    Rather amazing that with these hardware specs the best they can do is match nvidia's second tier card in rasterization.

There's something to be said for specialization - GPU vs CPU. We'll see how Intel's best effort (gpu) looks... if the ever get around to it...

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/13 00:50:26 (permalink)
    HaywireHaywood
    Same MSRP? Disappointed there. AMD is has always been the budget alternative. If they're going to be lacking RT, they need to be superior in rasterization to ask the same price.  We'll see what the reviewers say.

I personally think it will depend on what we find out at E3 this year as to how important the lack of RT will be. If Microsoft or Sony announced a next generation console in the works without RT support that would really make the VII seem to be better at least on paper. It really depends on if consoles stick with AMD since in 2-3 years when the next generation of consoles comes out we could see this generation being the basis of the hardware used.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/13 04:47:58 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    HaywireHaywood

I personally think it will depend on what we find out at E3 this year as to how important the lack of RT will be. If Microsoft or Sony announced a next generation console in the works without RT support that would really make the VII seem to be better at least on paper. It really depends on if consoles stick with AMD since in 2-3 years when the next generation of consoles comes out we could see this generation being the basis of the hardware used.

You have to be kidding me. You are basing PC gaming power off of what gaming consoles do? Turn in you PC Master Race Card!

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/13 06:26:28 (permalink)
    kram36

You have to be kidding me. You are basing PC gaming power off of what gaming consoles do? Turn in you PC Master Race Card!

I think what he means is if consoles do pickup RT, it will blowup mainstream to the use of it since most devs portal consoles tech first and than make changes for PC use.  It's more cost effective and the logical business thing to do and has been done for a long time now.

With that said, I hope consoles pick up RT now, since I own a RTX. lol
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/01/13 06:29:15

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/13 09:36:32 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    kram36

I think what he means is if consoles do pickup RT, it will blowup mainstream to the use of it since most devs portal consoles tech first and than make changes for PC use.  It's more cost effective and the logical business thing to do and has been done for a long time now.

With that said, I hope consoles pick up RT now, since I own a RTX. lol

Ray Tracing is coming, doesn't matter if gaming consoles pick up on it or not.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: AMD Radeon VII Detailed Some More: Die-size, Secret-sauce, Ray-tracing, and More 2019/01/13 12:03:12 (permalink)
    kram36

Ray Tracing is coming, doesn't matter if gaming consoles pick up on it or not.

Yeah I get that and I'm not arguing that.  What I'm saying is if consoles do pick it up, it will catch up faster and be more mainstream.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile