EVGA

AMD Quietly Patched Four Major GPU Security Vulnerabilities with Radeon 20.1.1 Drivers

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/01/24 00:04:01 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/263237/amd-quietly-patched-four-major-gpu-security-vulnerabilities-with-radeon-20-1-1-drivers

If you haven't updated your AMD Radeon drivers in a while, here's one major reason to. The company secretly patched four major security vulnerabilities affecting Radeon GPUs, in its recent Adrenalin 20.1.1 drivers, with no mention of doing so in its changelog. Talos Intelligence reports four vulnerabilities, which are are chronicled under CVE-2019-5124, CVE-2019-5146, CVE-2019-5147 and CVE-2019-5183. This class of attacks exploits a vulnerability in the AMD Radeon driver file ATIDXX64.dll, which can lead to denial of service or even remote code execution. What makes things much more serious is that this attack vector can be used to exploit the host machine from a VM (tested with VMWare). It even seems possible to trigger the vulnerability from a web page, through WebGL (which allows running 3D applications on a remote website). The vulnerabilities were tested on Radeon RX 550 / 550 Series VMware Workstation 15 (15.5.0 build-14665864) with Windows 10 x64 as guest VM, but there is no reason to assume that the issue is limited to just RX 550 as the AMD shader compiler shares a common code basis for all recent DirectX 12 GPUs.

All four vulnerabilities have been patched with Adrenalin 20.1.1 drivers. AMD rival NVIDIA also battles security vulnerabilities in secret, but the company tends to be more transparent in mentioning vulnerabilities patched in its driver release-notes. AMD's release notes for 20.1.1, in contrast omit any mention of the vulnerabilities, so most people aren't even aware that they should update their drivers to fix a security issue.

I agree that AMD should advise it's customers either directly or indirectly to update to the latest video drivers. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AMD Quietly Patched Four Major GPU Security Vulnerabilities with Radeon 20.1.1 Drivers 2020/01/24 02:42:49 (permalink)
    I agree fully that if they know the cards can be exploited and it's as easy to fix as a driver update they should email all people with a registered card and let them know. It shouldn't be that hard and would limit any exploit that could cause far more problems for AMD then admitting a problem exists and can be fixed.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: AMD Quietly Patched Four Major GPU Security Vulnerabilities with Radeon 20.1.1 Drivers 2020/01/24 03:23:07 (permalink)
    I smell previous Nvidia Tech set up😼
    But im glad they found it quickly😼

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: AMD Quietly Patched Four Major GPU Security Vulnerabilities with Radeon 20.1.1 Drivers 2020/01/24 05:24:18 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    ... they should email all people with a registered card and let them know.

No way! Did NVIDIA email you recently when their driver had the same issue fixed? I hope not. That's a level of annoyance which requires opt-in, in my opinion.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: AMD Quietly Patched Four Major GPU Security Vulnerabilities with Radeon 20.1.1 Drivers 2020/01/25 10:46:54 (permalink)
    Just post the information on their website & add it to the changelog .... let people make an informed decision

(excerpt from OP link)

Normally you'd expect the shader compiler to properly check all code it compiles and simply reject things that aren't supposed to work.
    • The first vulnerability, CVE-2019-5146, is briefly described as "AMD ATI Radeon ATIDXX64.DLL MAD shader functionality denial-of-service vulnerability."
    • CVE-2019-5147 describes "AMD ATI Radeon ATIDXX64.DLL MOVC shader functionality denial-of-service vulnerability."
    • CVE-2019-5124 points to "AMD ATI Radeon ATIDXX64.DLL shader functionality constant buffer denial-of-service vulnerability."
    • CVE-2019-5183 talks about "AMD ATI Radeon ATIDXX64.DLL shader functionality VTABLE remote code execution vulnerability."
    The first three CVEs are all variations of a similar approach, which lets malformed shader code lets crash the graphics driver, which in a VM situation would crash the VM software, taking all running virtual machines down with it.

The last vulnerability is more serious, because it potentially allows remote code execution. If you pass a properly crafted shader, you can execute vTable methods, which give you control over code flow, instead of crashing with an error. With further bug exploitation that would let you execute arbitrary code that you supply.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile