AMD Navi GPUs Will Not Use MCM Design, Feature Single Monolithic Die Instead

Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2018/06/14 04:30:58 (permalink)
Reveals RTG SVP – Yet To Conclude If MCM Can Be Used in Traditional Gaming Graphics Cards

With Navi GPUs, AMD is going to stick with the traditional monolithic design that we see on all modern GPUs. Unlike the MCM approach that AMD is taking on their HEDT Threadripper and server EPYC parts, the GPUs are yet to use the full potential of AMD’s Infinity Fabric, something which Raja Koduri wanted to implement on their next-gen Radeon parts

https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-gpus-not-using-mcm-feature-monolithic-die-radeon-rx-gaming-cards/

----------------------------------------------

really?? - i guess the pudding will be in the pie when it gets here

there are usually problems with each new arch
we may not see a good card until next gen refresh

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

3 Replies Related Threads

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: AMD Navi GPUs Will Not Use MCM Design, Feature Single Monolithic Die Instead 2018/06/16 17:20:06 (permalink)
    Like I said in the wccftech forum, I think it's a ploy to get nVidia to act as complacent as Intel has when AMD officially said they weren't going to compete back 2011 (Keller was hired only a few months later, and that's when Zen began).  If Raja Koduri wanted to do MCM, then he believed the scaling was possible on the Radeon RX side.  Except AMD just made a command decision to shift personal to the Zen CPU project and now that Kudori is gone they are saying it isn't possible. BS.  Kudori will certainly make it possible with Intel, but because Intel doesn't have the best track record, nVidia isn't going to take it seriously.

From a consumer side, this sucks to wait for which ploy or idea will work, all while nVidia get to relax on new introductions.  If Navi only ends up as a Polaris successor, that sucks for those with high-end cards, it means nothing is forcing nVidia's hand; I'm right now skeptical of what GTX1180 ends up or it's price.  It's going to be a joke.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: AMD Navi GPUs Will Not Use MCM Design, Feature Single Monolithic Die Instead 2018/06/16 21:04:57 (permalink)
    gpu will stick with a monolithic design as sli and cfx are passé

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: AMD Navi GPUs Will Not Use MCM Design, Feature Single Monolithic Die Instead 2018/06/18 09:57:39 (permalink)
    lehpron
    Like I said in the wccftech forum, I think it's a ploy to get nVidia to act as complacent as Intel has when AMD officially said they weren't going to compete back 2011 (Keller was hired only a few months later, and that's when Zen began).  If Raja Koduri wanted to do MCM, then he believed the scaling was possible on the Radeon RX side.  Except AMD just made a command decision to shift personal to the Zen CPU project and now that Kudori is gone they are saying it isn't possible. BS.  Kudori will certainly make it possible with Intel, but because Intel doesn't have the best track record, nVidia isn't going to take it seriously.

From a consumer side, this sucks to wait for which ploy or idea will work, all while nVidia get to relax on new introductions.  If Navi only ends up as a Polaris successor, that sucks for those with high-end cards, it means nothing is forcing nVidia's hand; I'm right now skeptical of what GTX1180 ends up or it's price.  It's going to be a joke.

I also think it’s a ploy.
    The think they’re going to dump 2-4 7nm GPUs onto a PCB and Connect them with infinity fabric.
    I think we’ll see it sooner than later and it’s going to catch us off guard. (I hope).
    I also think technique will replace SLI and Crossfire all together and that Nvidia is working on this as well.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile