ALUMIA by JR23

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JR 23
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2017/07/05 08:45:55 (permalink)

Welcome to project ALUMIA, originating around EK's new all aluminium Fluid Gaming kits which informed and reinforced the deeply rooted theme of Auto Union Grand Prix cars. However it won't be a 'themed' build in the commonly accepted sense, I have no intentions of building an augmentation between a race car and a PC. Instead it will be a sympathetic reflection of the cars materiality, purpose and craft.

This build will eventually be a successor to my previous system alphaclass, with an excessive amount of GPU prowess to comfortably push 4k. That way I can relieve Chocolate Box of daily duties and return it to rapid deployment LAN status. Using a single GPU system every day is wearing thin having had SLI since I built my first PC so i'll definitely be stepping back up. Perhaps not to quad again, an appropriate balance between raw power and VRAM needs to be reached. Following graphical power acoustics are by far the most important characteristic for me so i've held back my excellent Essence STX and a pair of Aquaero's to keep all the rotational devices in check.

CPU - Intel i7-7700k @5.2GHz
Motherboard - EVGA Z270 Classified K
RAM - TG Xtreem 4x8GB 4133C18 "8 Pack Edition"
GPU - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti x2
Audio - ASUS Xonar Essence STX
SSD - HyperX Predator M.2 960GB x2
PSU - EVGA Supernova 1000T2
Case - Caselabs Bullet BH7
Fans - Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 24v 3000 x4
Controller - Aquaero 5 LT x2
Watercooling - EK Fluid Gaming A240G x2

I can't exactly remember if it was the Auto Unions which came to mind when I heard EK would be making aluminium components or if I hounded EK into sending me aluminium components because they would be a great fit for an Auto Union build. The important thing is the result and I now have the joyous task of reproducing what I have envisaged. So to start things off i'd like to familiarize everyone with the beautiful 1939 Auto Union Type D twin-supercharger.

(Unfortunately these aren't my photographs, I believe credit goes to Audi themselves)

When building PC's we often try to reduce the different finishes, metals and textures visible to a minimum in favour of consistency and colour. Yet the variety and harmony of so many different and purposeful elements on display within the engine compartment is exceptional here. Cast, machined, polished, painted and tarnished surfaces all co-exist elegantly. There are no philips or allen head screws, just slotted, hexagon nuts and bolts everywhere. Nothing is bonded or welded, just rivets and fringes of copper gaskets. Not to mention the louvres and drilling.

Now we could just look at cars all day, but I get the feeling at least some of you would rather see hardware. The Z270 Classy K really chose itself as soon as I saw EK's parts, I did wait out all of Computex to see if they would bring this aesthetic over to X299 but i'm glad that didn't happen actually as this has just the right amount of slots for me to completely fill out.

With the first major piece in my hands most of the remaining hardware choices have been locked down and are on the way. I've even decided on a case which I ordered from a shop (weird), using some kind of currency! So strange, it's been so long since it worked like this. Don't worry though, i'm sure the Parvum team will get involved when there is machining to do and dankness to be added.

JR
post edited by JR 23 - 2017/08/18 19:13:41

37 Replies Related Threads

JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/05 13:39:00 (permalink)

Last week many packages arrived but before having a chance to properly unbox them I had to head away to Beauleiu for the weekend. But on the plus side I did encounter several relevant cars in the motor museum so once again lets start with some automotive inspiration, this time my pics too! Firstly this 2010 McLaren Mercedes MP4/21 in it's very German livery.

Also relatively recent was this straight six Honda CBX motorcycle, I disapprove of the philips head screws however the castings, chrome, bright silver paint and black frame were an instant reminder.

Perhaps sharing the most similarities was the 1930 Bentley 4.5 Litre Supercharged with it's humongous blower and drum brakes, no doubt slightly on the heavy side knowing British engineering of that period.

By far my favourite car on display this 1935 Auburn 851 Speedster, maybe followed up by the Gulf 917.

Just wandering among the former land speed record holders when the lights came up over this 1920 Sunbeam 350hp and I noticed the fan positioned ahead of the radiator. How original that fitment is i'm not sure, at speed it would seem redundant but an instant trigger back to the land of PC's.

And of course what was waiting for me to open when I returned home.

Just like in other EK-Kits i've had lots of normal retail boxes and some rather more interesting mystery boxes.

Like this spooky water block.

And the unmarked box of many things.

The second layer was just a bit more eventful with this awesome Alu Supremacy, not quite an MX duplicate I was pleasantly surprised.

Cheeky SPC always welcome, these things are so quiet and compact.

Right, what's left. What haven't we seen yet...

Ooooh a block and a backplate!

Many many things from just one of these little boxes. Each piece so neatly formed.

Right lets take a look at the stuff with the board, whiiich is about the only thing I have, no CPU 

An epic match though.

Right time to get a whole lot more abstract with the photography as we explore this new GPU block. I mean, all the other parts are excellent but this really is a significant and impressive piece of engineering. I saw a prototype many months ago, I liked it instantly but didn't look too hard, the cavities were interesting and the compound angles achieved on the edges were really special. But it wasn't until I looked straight through that I realized it was an extrusion, no parallel boxes but epicly inclined planes and edges... take a really close look.

Also really could not match the board finish and style any better at all.

One minor oddity were the little acetal stop plugs, I expected aluminium versions of the conventional EK plug but also pleased they were slotted, just in case I do end up using them.

So much hype now, I just want all the bits!

Just to accelerate things I found all my old parts and cleaned them up.

Perfect gold, another accent for the plethora of metals on show. I've had it so long now little parts of the coating are wearing where it fits into cases, looks just like it's been through a season of races.

One thing that became increasingly apparent today was that everything is very black, perhaps a disproportionate amount of silver so something my have to get re-finished or remade. Essence shroud, IO shroud and GPU backplates are likely candidates. I'll keep a close eye on the overall balance of things. It's quite easy to add bright plated items but some rough cast textures will be needed.

And two Aquaero 5 LT's equipped with heatsinks, how i'll use both i'm not sure, maybe I won't. But they are ready when needed, the de-stickered look certainly helps too.

And finally some much needed rough alu on the heatsinks.

Lastly a little MDPC-X, well. You know how it is if you get over 3 times more than you actually need in the hypothetical scenario where you decide to do every wire all one colour. Plus it's a great price per metre and one day it could be very useful. So 100m of Copper Brown, 100m of Shade 19 and 100m of Black. Not gonna lie, MDPC-X is just the best retail therapy possible after becoming hardened to new hardware releases.

Well that's a whole load more stuff than I had last week, lets see what comes this week!

JR
    post edited by JR 23 - 2017/07/16 18:26:45
    PietroBR
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1202
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/06 05:24:13 (permalink)
    This is going to be an awesome mod.
    Anxious to see the progression.

Case: Asus Z370-G Box / MB: Asus Z370-G / CPU: Intel I7 8700K / Mem.: 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 / GPU: GTX 1080TI FTW3 / A.I.O. W.C: EVGA CLC280 / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/06 06:15:55 (permalink)
    PietroBR
    This is going to be an awesome mod.
    Anxious to see the progression.

+1 This is going to be great!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/07 20:05:32 (permalink)

Welp it's late but i'm way too hyped about this update, somehow I don't think many people will be expecting this! What you're about to witness is straight out of 2009, discontinued long before DDR4 was even rumored and actually ridiculously hard to locate. Despite that this morning a pristine package from Czechoslovakia arrived at my door containing a factory fresh set of Thermalright HR-07 Duo Type H and Type L memory heatsinks!

Pretty sure these have always been completely pointless and even way back less desirable than the classic Dominator GT's... which is exactly why I was so excited to find them.

They don't exactly have any styling, no branding either, just two heatpipes and a fin stack, literally what you expect of a memory heatsink.

Might be jumping the gun a little here as I don't yet have the RAM for this build buuuut i'm still gonna try out a few configs. I bought one of each type purely because I was unsure which would look right.

L-L

H-L

L-H

H-H

H-L-H-L

I was planning to run two tasty 8GB B die DIMM's but seeing all 4 heatsinks woven together by 8 heatpipes, I think I need all 4!

Yes, exactly right, looking good against the copper brown MDPC-X too. Still finding it hard to believe they really arrived!

JR
    post edited by JR 23 - 2017/07/08 05:37:51
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/08 04:17:02 (permalink)
    Great looking work so far!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/12 14:21:14 (permalink)

No big packages in the mail yet, just these awesome little guys. Well, not this exact one actually, I decided to move my 960GB Predator into this build and pop the new 480GB into my R1.0 as these will be the only drives used in this build. I think. Unless I need to fill a space out with 3.5"'s.

Also got these M.2 heatsinks a few weeks ago, back when EK definitely weren't going to make M.2 coolers!

The original black finish was slightly glossier than the board and it didn't really fit, so I sanded most of it off to get this... not quite all of it because I wanted to try a slightly dirty look.

One thing to note is that the clips did not fit around the double sided HyperX Predators, for now they are just 'in place' but i'll use some adhesive thermal pads once i've decided.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome although not entirely certain, what do you guys think? I'm considering trying the nickel plated EK ones, or their black ones, or fully chemically stripping them, or sandblasting them to a duller finish... so many options now!

JR
    Krzysztof47
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 430
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/12 18:32:49 (permalink)
    This is an awesome build, excellent inspiration, also amazing photos.  Also great to see others using the Kingston Predators, they are great M.2's. 
    Krzysztof47
    iCX Member
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/12 18:37:04 (permalink)

I'm quite pleased with the outcome although not entirely certain, what do you guys think? I'm considering trying the nickel plated EK ones, or their black ones, or fully chemically stripping them, or sandblasting them to a duller finish... so many options now!

JR

I think the EK nickel plated heat sinks would look nice, thought the ones you have already look very good.   
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/12 22:19:10 (permalink)
    A very cool project in the making. Nice photography skills. I like the name also!
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/12 22:46:28 (permalink)
    Waiting for the next update!

JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/13 11:45:17 (permalink)
    Krzysztof47This is an awesome build, excellent inspiration, also amazing photos.  Also great to see others using the Kingston Predators, they are great M.2's.

I think the EK nickel plated heat sinks would look nice, thought the ones you have already look very good.

Predators are the best, people don't rate the blackness high enough! Yeah, i'll definitely check out the EK ones, the warmness of EK's usual plating might work well.  

notfordmanA very cool project in the making. Nice photography skills. I like the name also!

Thank you, it was very nearly Aluminia but I think it came out best.

rjohnson11Waiting for the next update!

Soon! I'm waiting to get new things! I thought the case would be next but it seems bestcase may have just booked the parcel rather than actually dispatching it because the tracking seems to be dead, hopefully they'll get it done but maybe the cards will arrive first.

JR
    jaykenning
    • Total Posts : 62
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/14 12:07:11 (permalink)
    Eagerly awaiting this one.
    JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/16 18:12:50 (permalink)

Many thanks to Nvidia USA for these big graphics doggos and Nvidia UK for passing them on, I was quite surprised when they arrived at Parvum on Friday morning! It now feels like i'm well past half way to acquiring all of the parts now, such progress.

Oh not you again FE!

Many many microscopic screws later...

Very much like my Titan X Pascal, aside an absent memory IC and DVI, however great to see all of the power phases filled in with VRM's.

Time to build it back up lighter and faster...

We'll take a much better look at the blocked cards soon, I got a new phone on Saturday so bartering with EE and playing with that put me a day behind on taking pics. Hopefully I can build some things up in the case and start developing a plan tomorrow.

JR
    post edited by JR 23 - 2017/07/16 18:20:21
    JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/18 03:33:50 (permalink)

I said something about a case soon I know but I had to see how the cards looked on the board, just because all that brushed black aluminium together.

Ok, now maybe just a little look at the case too, USA! The third major part to be sent from California, well not to me, I got it from Romania.

I don't plan to keep the powder coat, so I thought it most appropriate that it should start off white just like the silver arrows.

Now time to start thinking what to do with it, most urgently I need to find space for rads and there just so happens to be a huge well ventilated and isolated chamber ready to go. Even a little extra width for some other stuff next to the PSU.

The E-ATX Classified drops in no problem, sort of.

In front of the motherboard tray there was an extra little cable tidy which fitted back in the wrong way around quite neatly.

The first placement i'm 100% set on! The Aquaero's have definitely got to go up here at the back.

And the second 240mm radiator quite logically placed in the front.

Some things that definitely won't be positioned as anyone anticipated are the USB3.0 and auxiliary PCIe power, because i'm pretty sure they won't fit inside the case. Starting to make 7-slot seem weird, but i'm all about saving space and not having USB headers.

RAD > CPU > GPU

Missed until now, EK's very stealthy backplates.

So, I think that's all the things

Yeah, definitely no chance of front fans while using standard length cards, i'd say getting a flat front bracket cut and countersinking the rad screws might just net enough space for slim fans.

Definitely do need all 4 memory heatsinks, the hierarchy is just right.

So a lot of things i'm starting to figure out, pump/reservoir placement not so much, maybe infront of the PSU. To actually fit front fans and have room to route tubing i'm definitely going to need to extend the case just a bit. I knew that all along and I do desperately want to get rid of the windows and hideous holes for handles that ruin the look of the case. Thanks handle people, you killed it for everyone. But then do I make it significantly longer to fit a 360 and start putting parts inbetween the motherboard and the radiator. Many decisions to go...

JR
    JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/29 18:14:32 (permalink)

Time for a very peculiar installment, I was hoping to have a little more design work done but i've been relentlessly busy with work away from home. Sooo instead just lots of weird stuff. Last weekend Dave from bit-tech came over to nosey around my place and chat modding (go find the article on my social media). Anyway he was desperate to play with my lathe so I set him up doing something useful!

For now the ACF style 10/13mm fittings are EK's only aluminium offering, 13mm OD was a limitation I really didn't want on this project as EK don't have a ZMT that small and it's just too thin walled for my liking. So my plan was to turn off the compression ring threads and use them as simple barbs.

Off to the shed me and Dave went! Using an old pass through fitting to easily hold them true in the chuck without risk of damaging the 1/4" threads.

With and without threads removed. I didn't take off all the material purposefully to make sure the tubing didn't flare over the taper and bunch back in.

It's me! Doing a concentrate.

Mine and Dave's completed EK Aluminum 10mm barbs!

Conveniently enough to try out one tubing run.

Right, now the weirdness of me appearing in my own project log is over lets move on to my equally odd mail.

If memory heatsinks weren't a significant throwback today we are going way further to a style of hose clamp popular 50 or more years ago. I was inspecting the hose clamps of the Auto Unions best I could in photographs and noticed they were far from the screw/gear/srping types typically used today. The closest ones I stumbled across belonged to early Mercedes W113 SL's moments before contacting Mercedes classic parts I found these on a website in the Netherlands.

Surprisingly simple they consist of a small buckle, a cotter pin and a roll of thin steel ribbon which can be cut to any length.

With a scrap of 10/16mm ZMT I tried one out, first the ribbon is folded over the buckle. then wrapped around the tube once and under the cotter pin with the cut edge facing out.

After completing a second loop the ribbon passes back out through the split of the cotter pin ready to be trimmed down.

Trimmed....

Then simply tightened by coiling the loose end around the cotter pin.

With the method nailed down it actually proved far less fiddly than I expected on such small diameter tubing. So I unraveled my test piece and cut off two strips the correct length.

And there we have it.

I'm really enjoying this project! <3 The combination of minimalistic fittings, oversize ZMT and old school hose clamps strike the perfect balance between elegant PC hardware and the automotive inspiration. Hopefully I can tear myself away from building PC's long enough to work on building this PC a little more next week but if it all goes this well then i'm not too worried. Thanks to Dave for your work on the project and some of the shed pics.

JR
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/07/30 09:01:45 (permalink)
    This build rocks!

JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/08/18 19:06:46 (permalink)
    Just a fast written update to let you all know that the project is still going strong, I just had to slow down and get some other builds done before LAN but I will be taking this with me, just air cooled with the stock case. It was a fair few parts short of being a full build so today I set that all straight and bought all the outstanding gear. Inbound is an EVGA Supernova 1000T2, 4x8GB 4133MHz C18 Team Group Xtreem '8 Pack Edition', a 5.2GHz bin 7700k from Silicon Lottery and another HyperX Predator 960GB. (OP updated) Hopefully the Noctua parts are arriving just in time too!

I was hoping to use a Silverstone PSU as usual however supply of 1000W+ units seems to be extremely limited at this moment so I deviated a little to EVGA. Much like the tubing the cables will be of a more purposeful style, not the flat parallel affair that's fashionable so the pinout wasn't super critical.

Pretty sure that's everything! It's going to be a mad rush to insomnia now but i'll try to sneak some pics in as I get everything together.

JR

PS. It would be sweet if you could drop my <<< MODS RIGS <<< and leave some comments and +1's on my main system if you like it!

post edited by JR 23 - 2017/08/18 19:18:53
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/08/19 02:51:02 (permalink)
    JR 23
    Just a fast written update to let you all know that the project is still going strong, I just had to slow down and get some other builds done before LAN but I will be taking this with me, just air cooled with the stock case. It was a fair few parts short of being a full build so today I set that all straight and bought all the outstanding gear. Inbound is an EVGA Supernova 1000T2, 4x8GB 4133MHz C18 Team Group Xtreem '8 Pack Edition', a 5.2GHz bin 7700k from Silicon Lottery and another HyperX Predator 960GB. (OP updated) Hopefully the Noctua parts are arriving just in time too!

I was hoping to use a Silverstone PSU as usual however supply of 1000W+ units seems to be extremely limited at this moment so I deviated a little to EVGA. Much like the tubing the cables will be of a more purposeful style, not the flat parallel affair that's fashionable so the pinout wasn't super critical.

Pretty sure that's everything! It's going to be a mad rush to insomnia now but i'll try to sneak some pics in as I get everything together.

JR

PS. It would be sweet if you could drop my <<< MODS RIGS <<< and leave some comments and +1's on my main system if you like it!

You've got a +1 from me!

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/08/19 06:11:43 (permalink)
    Very interesting clamps

Photos are exceptional --- looks like your a Pro with a camera & lighting

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Krzysztof47
    iCX Member
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/08/26 21:04:34 (permalink)
    This build is simply amazing, also great machining work, respect!!! This build is pure art and again great photography skills. 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/09/09 22:48:41 (permalink)

Wow. Very impressive. A lot of pics too. Great job.   

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/09/10 02:07:12 (permalink)
    Looking forward to another update.

V1tech
    • Total Posts : 13
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/09/15 07:15:15 (permalink)
    So sexy. 
    JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/09/18 15:26:53 (permalink)

The good news since the last update is that I made it to LAN with ALUMIA, the bad news is I had to take my studio area apart to build PC's for a few weeks. Builds which I can't take photographs of, not only because I have no backdrop and lighting but also because I have no time whatsoever, because i'm building them.

Slight catch 22 but hopefully at the end of it all I can improve my photography setup and have some extra funds to frivolously squander on the outstanding parts for this project. So far i've completed 8 of the builds and there are 10 more to go, so probably another 3-4 weeks before my space can return to relative normality.

Oh and PARVUM APIS dropped by again, sadly in need of a new PSU as the original 1200P2 wouldn't turn on, so I let TJ borrow ALUMIA. I think it must've been pretty good as he ordered a replacement PSU on the slowest possible delivery service, still APIS is back  running with no dramatic failures.

LAN (insomnia61) already seems like a distant memory although it was an awesome weekend filled with almost no game time at all, lots of chicken was eaten, films watched and probably more time was spent battling in 3dmark than any other virtual universe.

www.3dmark.com/fs/13478193

Even in air cooled spec ALUMIA decimated, hitting 5.0ghz on a retail 7700k without delid under a Noctua NH-L12. Cards peaked at 2063/3002mhz with the FE blowers. Still a couple thousand points to get with the right CPU and water but sufficient for a weekends 'gaming' nevertheless.

So I really can't say when the next update will be, some more Fluid Gaming parts are landing from EK any day now. When they do i'll start to draft case changes but it will probably be a little while before serious photos resume.

JR

JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/11/06 18:19:09 (permalink)

Well the build is still together on air going out to LAN's and ripping some serious frames, it will stay like that until i've finished R1.0 INDUSTRIAL, a couple weeks hopefully. But I do have a little cache of parts that i've yet to post in the thread, namely these Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-24V-3000 Q100 IP67 PWM. Catchy name, take note it's all important!

Now if you've scrolled through 3 fan pics and are starting to get a little bored, itching to find another thread or open facebook again in your 27th chrome tab. Please do, because you don't deserve the next part...

...what's dis...

...ahhh yee!

See I wasn't just ignoring ALUMIA! I'd been busy creating the artwork for these acid etched aluminum plates, not stickers, nor are the original Noctua plates incidentally.

Google translate as well as my German and Dutch friend tell me they make some grammatical sense, but most importantly to me they are visually just right! I went with Rascom (Noctua's parent company) because Rascom Computerdistribution was much longer!

Anyway, mounted in their Doppel configuration to the EK-AluStream 240.

I'm loving ALUMIA, can't wait to tear down the air config and play with all the Fluid Gaming kit. See you all soon on one thread or anther :D

JR
    JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2017/11/12 18:30:10 (permalink)

Very fitting that update 10 marks the introduction of XTC, 10 years after MDPC-X introduced the original blackest black sleeving.

It came as quite a surprise when Nils announced a second sleeve was on the way, I had to try it so rather than just starting with a little sample I figured 100m was required to get to know it.

And as i'm sure many know already, sometimes it's quite difficult to just 'stop' adding MDPC-X items to the cart. So 100m of 15AWG which i've yet to properly try out, 1000 15AWG crimps then seemed obvious, 1000 shrinks.. because and then a CTX3 naturally as I seem to be getting 15AWG everything. Then all the new dupont stuff... plus some Carbon-BTI for imersa.

So about 3 minutes into try that new sleeve and chill...

Four identical wires, two sleeved with classic small black, two sleeved with XTC black.

The difference is certainly a subtle one and a mere civilian would be hard pressed to tell the difference on looks alone. Which is definitely a good thing. When stretched to the maximum they both hold onto the 15AWG wire with ease, no discernible difference to melt and as demonstrated both absolutely glorious to train.

So which would I recommend you may ask? Well in the hands of an experienced user they are both equally capable, classic is slightly more versatile as it will expand around much larger wires and terminals as needed. XTC however is extremely reluctant to change diameter or length making it effortless to obtain maximum stretch on a single PSU wire. So for new users doing purely 15AWG PSU wires XTC is easier to get tight results that hold shape. If you've got a huge collection of classic MDPC-X and some skills to go with it then I see no reason to run out and replace it all immediately, but do try XTC!

For ALUMIA I will definitely be using XTC, perhaps after 70 or 80 wires i'll change my opinion but the fractionally denser and rougher texture will certainly fit in. Also, it will be entirely black with the Noctua brown fan corners being the only 'colour' in the build.

JR
    post edited by JR 23 - 2017/11/12 18:32:42
    JR 23
    Re: ALUMIA by JR23 2018/01/30 17:02:21 (permalink)

Finally I have ALUMIA back and the air cooled phase is coming to an end. It’s been to insomnia, epicLAN, LSUCS twice… stayed with Tj and Happy while I worked on APIS and K… used by Oli Sykes and an extremely white kid from the Netherlands. Quite a set of accolades for a temporary setup but it did work magnificently well, now it just needs get to quieter and prettier!

This was our LAN setup at Oli’s last weekend, Post Malone completed our 4-man PUBG squad. Oli took ALUMIA with the graphical power needed to drive 60fps to the 4k projector, I had Chocolate Box and imersa had i1.0-II both with ROG XG35’s (which are bent).

Nothing particularly special inside at this point sadly, just a hard working pair of FE’s and a little Noctua swag, D9 being just about all that fits safely inside the BH-7.