EVGA

AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card?

Author
ravenfrost
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/21 10:41:22 (permalink)
Hey guys,

1. Just got a new 65" 4k Samsung KS8000 that I plan to do 4k gaming on. I currently have a 770 4gb card that I plan to keep as a dedicated PHSYX card, however, I have heard this is probably overkill...is it worth it/will it increase any performance paired as PHSYX with the 1080 TI 11gb or should I just sell the old card, run the 1080 TI 11gb alone and try to get some money for the old 770 4gb card?

2. I am interested at the EVGA all in one hybrid water cooling kits for the 1080 TI 11gb here: https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=18&family=Accessories+-+Hardware&chipset=Hybrid 

Trying to decide, do I just get a Founders Edition or should I get one of the SC or FTW editions and put on the all in one hybrid waterblock?

Making sure I understand this, the FE is a reference card and SC or FTW editions aren't, is this correct? The SC and FTW are non reference cards because they are already overclocked? Is it the same chip or has something changed?

I know there is a slight cost difference between the two($20-50). Is it worth it to get a card that isn't FE? Basically will this hybrid water cooling kit allow me to run at the same overclock speeds regardless of the card being a reference card or will the SC/FTW editions allow for higher overclock?

From doing some research I believe that if I get the hybrid water kit and overclock it will allow me to get a much higher overlcock than what the SC/FTW editions run at, just trying to figure out if it will be higher if I go with SC/FTW or if founders will do about the same.

I appreciate any input you can provide.

12 Replies Related Threads

TRClark911
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 10:54:33 (permalink)
    It's my understanding they are for reference models.

I have the 5388 hybrid kit with my 1080 Ti FE....  I wouldn't expect the OCs to vary all that much between cards but what do I know... my peak right now is 2076mhz core and I'm still tinkering with it.  It's not really the OCs that had me wanting the hybrid though... it was the temps.  Max with the stock air blower was 84C... max under water after an extended 3 hour gaming session has been 49C.  It idles around 20C...

As for your dedicated card... Ummm... I would call it not necessary.  The Ti does a pretty good job at gaming in 4k if 60 fps on ultra is what you are looking for.  I'm there in games like Witcher 3, GTA 5, RE7 and BF1.  Graphic intensive scenes I've dipped to 55-59 fps momentarily but that's not a big enough reason for me to start screaming SLI.

(I have a 7700k CPU which aid in these numbers)
    ravenfrost
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 11:02:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for your resposne, that is what I was thinking but wanted to hear what other's thought or if I was missing something.

I like the OC but the temps are the other reason why I am interested too, when I game with my current 770 4gb at 100% I can get up to 84C, figured the hybrid cooler would help tremendously with temperature in this room, especially during the summers in Texas.

Will see if anyone else chimes in, currently leaning towards the FE with the Hybrid AIO unless someone lets me know details that haven't been brought to my attention yet. :)

edit - i have an i7 2600k @4.4ghz, will likely try to get it stable at 5GHZ once I upgrade. Was able to run a few games at 5ghz but ultimately crashed in the past, need to work on some more adjustments...
    post edited by ravenfrost - 2017/04/21 11:09:55
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 11:07:37 (permalink)
    ravenfrost
    I currently have a 770 4gb card that I plan to keep as a dedicated PHSYX card, however, I have heard this is probably overkill...is it worth it/will it increase any performance paired as PHSYX with the 1080 TI 11gb or should I just sell the old card, run the 1080 TI 11gb alone and try to get some money for the old 770 4gb card?

Test and see for yourself. Use the pla benchmark for testing. Get a fps score with just the 1080 ti then add in the 770 as a dedicated physx card and rerun the test to see the difference in fps. Make sure PhysX is set to highest setting inside the pla benchmark. 

http://www.geforce.com/wh...11-and-physx-benchmark
    ravenfrost
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 11:11:49 (permalink)
    Will run the test once I purchase and let everyone know the results, thanks! 
    GamerDaddy84
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 11:39:57 (permalink)
    Water cooling will do nothing for the temp in the room.

The card is still using be same amount of power, which generates the same amount of heat. All water cooling is doing is transferring the heat faster into the radiator, which is then dissipated into the air by the fans.

Air conditioning works the same way, which is why if you have ever used one of those floor single room models you have to vent it out the window.

If you are in a closed room with crappy AC the room will get just as hot as with stock cooling.
    TRClark911
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 11:43:38 (permalink)
    GamerDaddy84

The card is still using be same amount of power, which generates the same amount of heat. All water cooling is doing is transferring the heat faster into the radiator, which is then dissipated into the air by the fans.

Air conditioning works the same way, which is why if you have ever used one of those floor single room models you have to vent it out the window.

If you are in a closed room with crappy AC the room will get just as hot as with stock cooling.

Heh... I'm in western WA and the ambient air is about 65 year round which is pretty awesome when compared to places like Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc...

I actually have one of those single room AC units too because most houses here don't have A/C!  Vents right out the window!
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 474
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 11:49:23 (permalink)
    GamerDaddy84

Thermodynamics disagrees with you sir. It can help ambient temps but after crunch numbers after the discussion about this we had in a different post a few days ago here, it would be a marginal difference depending on the loop, efficiency, and time along with other variables 

As long as your popular enough, you can get away with anything.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 12:00:24 (permalink)
    GamerDaddy84

Thermodynamics disagrees with you sir. It can help ambient temps but after crunch numbers after the discussion about this we had in a different post a few days ago here, it would be a marginal difference depending on the loop, efficiency, and time along with other variables 

You may want to watch this real quick.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 12:18:31 (permalink)
    ravenfrost
    Hey guys,

1. Just got a new 65" 4k Samsung KS8000 that I plan to do 4k gaming on. I currently have a 770 4gb card that I plan to keep as a dedicated PHSYX card, however, I have heard this is probably overkill...is it worth it/will it increase any performance paired as PHSYX with the 1080 TI 11gb or should I just sell the old card, run the 1080 TI 11gb alone and try to get some money for the old 770 4gb card?

2. I am interested at the EVGA all in one hybrid water cooling kits for the 1080 TI 11gb here: https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=18&family=Accessories+-+Hardware&chipset=Hybrid 

Trying to decide, do I just get a Founders Edition or should I get one of the SC or FTW editions and put on the all in one hybrid waterblock?

Making sure I understand this, the FE is a reference card and SC or FTW editions aren't, is this correct? The SC and FTW are non reference cards because they are already overclocked? Is it the same chip or has something changed?

I know there is a slight cost difference between the two($20-50). Is it worth it to get a card that isn't FE? Basically will this hybrid water cooling kit allow me to run at the same overclock speeds regardless of the card being a reference card or will the SC/FTW editions allow for higher overclock?

From doing some research I believe that if I get the hybrid water kit and overclock it will allow me to get a much higher overlcock than what the SC/FTW editions run at, just trying to figure out if it will be higher if I go with SC/FTW or if founders will do about the same.

I appreciate any input you can provide.

Good choice of TV! (I've got the same one)

The 1080 Ti FE and the SC black are reference cards. Well, the SC Black has an added fuse so it is 99.9% reference. All other EVGA 1080 Ti models are EVGA custom PCBs.

I've tried running a dedicated PhysX card with a single 980 Ti (it was a 650 Ti) and the results were mixed. I did have better minimum frame rates in the VERY few titles that run GPU PhysX (not CPU Physics which is much more common, and no you can't force it to run on the GPU). The downside were the BSODs and random lock-ups. Running two different families of cards was what it probably was, because I did not have that issue when I (temporarily) ran a second 980 Ti as a PhysX card (which was super overkill, the 650 Ti did fine with 70 to 80% GPU usage).

A dedicated PhysX card actually really shines when you run SLI. It likely has something to do with the fact that PhysX calculations will only take place on one card, unbalancing the SLI performance. Gains when adding a dedicated PhysX card with SLI are quite tangible. Much, much more so than with a single card setup.

For AIO cooling - go with what you want. The new AIO coolers from EVGA appear to be quite good for cooling, but they will  only carry a warranty of 3 years (when you buy the Hybrid card) unless you buy the extended warranty - and even then stock levels won't be high after 2 years due to limited production. So you may get an equivalent performance, but air-cooled, newer model as a replacement should you need to RMA later on, should the need arise and you haven't purchased a new card.

If you get EVGA's AIO watercooler and not a 1080 Ti Hybrid card, remember that they carry only a 1 year warranty. I've had four different AIO coolers with two year warranties die right outside of their warranty period - the pumps stopped working or worked intermittently. I've also had a nice H115i develop issues within 8 months of purchase, well within its 5 year warranty.

I went with the Kraken line since their AIO coolers come with a 6 year warranty and I can move it from card to card as needed. I've got a Kraken G10 bracket (the G12 looks good too) with a Kraken X61 (used to use a X41), and I love the Noiseblocker eLoop 140mm fans that I invested in (they are $28 each but whisper silent at full speed (non-PWM)). I have PWM versions in 120mm and they are significantly louder due to their smaller size and trying to push similar CFM. I've used the G10 bracket and X41 (now X61) on two different models of 980 Ti, a 1080 ACX 3.0, and now my 1080 TI FE - and it works beautifully with the only hiccup being that sometimes I have to remove a mid-plate or a back-plate because the GPU retention screws are a bit short for the G10 (and can be swapped out for longer screws if needed) or the mid-plate blocks contact with the GPU die without a copper shim (which I've found adds a few degrees C).

The bonus to getting a separate AIO water cooler is that if it ever dies, you have the stock cooler to fall back on while you RMA the AIO cooler. If you get a hybrid model, you'll likely have to RMA the entire card (and possibly get back a card that doesn't OC as well, or maybe one that OCs better).

Oh, and airflow still matters for AIO coolers. I forgot to turn on the fans on the side of my case (three big 200mm fans set as intake) and the temps were ~49 to 51C.

TLDR - an AIO is great for keeping a GPU cool and more quiet than any stock cooler offered by EVGA. My temperatures range from 29 to 30C at idle to 38C to 43C under load running at 2064/6000 Mhz on my 1080 Ti.

Oh, and no - getting a water cooler on your 1080 Ti won't let you overclock much higher, if at all. What it does is allow for consistent clock rates without the steady downclocking due to rising temps that GPU Boost 3.0 does. So instead of starting out at 2064 and dropping down to 1900 due to 84C temps, you stay at 2064 or 2050 at 40 to 50C.
    post edited by arestavo - 2017/04/21 12:40:22
    GamerDaddy84
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 12:46:26 (permalink)
    GamerDaddy84

How does thermodynamics disagree with me? I mean I said that the heat has to go somewhere and that if it's not getting blown out from the back of the card with the reference blower, then it is going through the water and out the radiator right into the room. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, the net entropy of the room still increases. Etc.

Hell I have seen a Linus video where the literally ran their water cooling to an outside radiator to help keep the ambient temps down.
    ravenfrost
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/21 22:57:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.

Never installed a AIO water cooler on a card, only on my proc, which has lasted for almost 7 years now *knocks on wood*. In the past I've used arctic silver 5 for the proc, is this something I should do for the GPU too or just go with what the cooler comes with?
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: AIO Hybrid Water - what 1080TI card to go with and question about dedicated PHSYX card 2017/04/22 09:11:51 (permalink)
    ravenfrost
    Thanks for the info.

Never installed a AIO water cooler on a card, only on my proc, which has lasted for almost 7 years now *knocks on wood*. In the past I've used arctic silver 5 for the proc, is this something I should do for the GPU too or just go with what the cooler comes with?

As long as it is non-conductive and non-capacitive whatever you choose should be just fine. That said, some of the best TIM out there are Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and ICDiamond. Kyronaut is quite pricey, while ICDiamond costs a good deal less with only a very slight decrease in overall thermal conductivity. The difference between those two and whatever comes with the cooler will likely only be 2 to 3C.

*****DO NOT use Liquid Metal TIM***** That is one quick way to short out the components right around the GPU die and void any warranty that you had.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile