Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Exidrial
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/05/05 11:18:29 (permalink)
Hey,

can anybody confirm whether this sound is normal? My 980Ti Hybrid is pretty loud.
As you can see in the video, the front fans were running at 25% (500RPM) and the Hybrids radiator fan was running at 0% (0 RPM) just to make sure its not any fan noise I'm hearing. The noise also isn't coming from the Kraken X52 because the noise was there too when I had my h100i GTX.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPgDSswIO1k&feature=youtu.be

It sounds like in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-4JjuQksO8

This is infuriating me, the hybrid is the loudest thing in my PC. The reason this is making me so angry is because this is my 3rd 980Ti hybrid. I RMAd the first one because it was getting way too warm for a hybrid and the 2nd one because of it being loud. Both cards I had before made this sound. So is this noise normal? According to the people in the video above and old 980Ti hybrid reviews it's not.

I honestly am SO CLOSE to selling my 980Ti Hybrid just to use that money to purchase an air cooled 980Ti.

Thank you for your help.
post edited by Exidrial - 2018/05/05 11:29:32

CPU: i7-8700K
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52
GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7
RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz CL16
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2TB Seagate FireCuda

40 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/05 11:41:04 (permalink)
    Sounds like pump buzzing. Some have it. Some don't.
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/05 11:43:01 (permalink)
    So the card being loud as hell is normal? I can hear it from a different room.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/05 11:45:50 (permalink)
    No, it shouldn't be that loud.
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/05 11:50:58 (permalink)
    Huh. I wasn't kidding when I said the Hybrid was the loudest part in my system. I just left the door to my room open and went into the living room, aproximately 6 or so meters away from the PC and I can still hear that sound clearly.
    I'm bad at comparing sound levels but sitting ~60 cm away from the case, with the glass side panel on and the GPU idling the sound is slightly quieter than me typing on my Corsair Strafe RGB with Cherry Brown switches.

My phone is really bad at picking up that sound.

-- Yeah I removed the GPU from the system (just as a sanity check) and suddenly my PC was a whole lot quieter. I'm going to contact support, to RMA my GPU for the third time.
    I'm getting tired of this, at this point I'd even be happy if they replaced my card with an air cooled one..
    post edited by Exidrial - 2018/05/05 12:39:43

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/06 06:17:53 (permalink)
    have you lookover any of the older posts  from here and other forums ?

https://forums.evga.com/980-Ti-Hybrid-Pump-Constant-Buzzing-Noise-RMA-m2361427-p2.aspx

I do know my hybrid is church mouse quite    like I would put my hand in front of the rad to make sure it was running kinda thing when I first got it   now I just hope it don't pop and burn  , but still quite  like its not even on .

'' I'm going to contact support, to RMA my GPU for the third time.
    I'm getting tired of this, at this point I'd even be happy if they replaced my card with an air cooled one..''

maybe the 3ed time is the charm by now . you may just be offered the next best referbed 10 series   as a replacement  [on air ] 

what I did find funny over time following this card  is how some guys like you never seemed to get a good hybrid  card so  to say  ?    that kinda makes me wonder if it is the card  or the user  .  cause I yet to experance any of the issue you see all around on them   then 3 replacements ??   ya, just funny  to me .

one thing I did do is place my radiator  so it would put the least amount of stress / work  on the pump     and not some exotic, makes no sense way   .  more like a radiator is in real life in the world

Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/06 06:26:20 (permalink)
    Hey Dr.Death, now it's kind of like in my old posts haha. Yeah we talked about this in the past.
    Back when we talked I had only the Corsair Carbide 500R. I then later on switched to the Corsair 570X, that case had lots of mounting possibilities. I mounted the radiator directly in front, just like on your picutre with hoses at the top and bottom, then tried mounting it at the bottom of the case, the top, the back everything. I just could not get rid of the noise. At least i never had that water flushing/gurgling issue (unless the case was lying on the side, then yeah the air had to move around but that's normal).

My system now is in the Fractal Design Meshify C, the radiator is at the back with the hoses facing down. I never could get rid of the noise it makes. Back when I purchased the card all I wanted was to have a nice quiet GPU but heh, never got that wish fulfilled.
    At this point I don't really care what they replace my card with, as long as its as fast or faster than a 980Ti. I just want to have 1: A card that doesn't get too warm (like my first hybrid did) and 2: A card that I can't hear from 6m away...when it's idling!

It's just annoying to have all my fans go down to 500-600 RPM on idle and then hear the hybrids pump do its TRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound thingie.

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/06 07:45:58 (permalink)
    you know ,  have you tried to remove the shroud  and check if the pump mounting is tightened or loose and vibrating  [then with that I'd guess you would see high temps along with that as a issue ?  my card get to 48c at its max so far pounding on it on a hottest day in here   36-43c normal hot day full load long term running ]

I just don't know.  I guess I need to be happy luck of that draw was on my side for a change .

its just a shame EVGA don't offer any replacement pumps  for sale  if your out of warrantee  or like you tired of RMA for the same ol'   .     like you and some  I don't get how 3 cards and same issue with each one of them  .. 

pretty much now down to RMA  that I guess for you aint working out  or some direct replacement pump  or a air cooler  pull off of a compatible evga 900 card off e-bay  or a aftermarket cooler  what ever thats compatible  from like artic

have you got a buddy with a strong gaming rig that would let you try the card in his rig to see if it does the same  ?   I don't know if there would be some kind of power regulation issue powering the pump wrong to cause this ?   I can see one card and bad luck but after 2 or 3  you got to think maybe something outside the card  at cause ?

in the end all I do now is knock on wood and hope mine keep lasting like it is . 

I do like the hybrid , but i'll never buy a factory build one ever again    i'll get the air cooled card and add the pump  then atleast if the pump fails I send it in and put the air cooler back on if is a good card  I would hate to loose out on  [lesson learned here on that ]
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/06 11:01:52 (permalink)
    Nah the current card doesn't have the high temp issue, the first one was getting into the 80s if I remember correctly. It's just really loud.
    48c at its max? That's ridiculous. None of my 3 cards were THAT cool.
    Even when I had them in the front with a room temperature of ~20°c the cards always went up to 70°c-75°c when running unigine heaven for an hour with fans at 100%.

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV right now and the cards utilization is at 70% most of the time and the card is hitting 65°c max.

JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/06 14:24:36 (permalink)
    Honestly, if you can hear the pump buzzing from the other room, that does not sound normal to me. If you reduce all the system fans that low, I can see the pump being louder than some other components in the system, because a CLC pump will never be completely silent.

But I do think you should RMA, if the noise is that severe. I am sorry for the inconvenience you have had with this!

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/06 16:25:10 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JosephL
    Honestly, if you can hear the pump buzzing from the other room, that does not sound normal to me. If you reduce all the system fans that low, I can see the pump being louder than some other components in the system, because a CLC pump will never be completely silent.

But I do think you should RMA, if the noise is that severe. I am sorry for the inconvenience you have had with this!

funny ?  mine I use to have to put my hand in front of the read fan to be sure it was running   .it runs like its not even on , but then I don't have stethoscope ears  /hearing .  its that quite  now I take that it is running for granted  till she pops and smokes out one day

Exidrial
    Nah the current card doesn't have the high temp issue, the first one was getting into the 80s if I remember correctly. It's just really loud.
    48c at its max? That's ridiculous. None of my 3 cards were THAT cool.
    Even when I had them in the front with a room temperature of ~20°c the cards always went up to 70°c-75°c when running unigine heaven for an hour with fans at 100%.

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV right now and the cards utilization is at 70% most of the time and the card is hitting 65°c max.

I'm running those benches now for another forum  to test something   I did not get the GPU readings  on the first 2 ffxiv benchs ,  but I am going to run the ffxv  next  and i'll see and screen shot them temps and all for the gpu  under hwinfo64 for you to look at if you want  ?  i'll do it now matter of fact .

I ran this 3 times not using ''loop'' mode  its hot here to day in LA [that's lower Alabama  ] 89f  full sun and not running A/C  just a window open with a box fan in it  in here , so its pretty warm in this room right now late in the day
    [3ed loop reading ]
    https://imgur.com/m8wDrWx

P.S that was on driver only 353.62  and no PhysX installed as well 

post edited by Dr.Death - 2018/05/06 16:59:30
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/07 06:04:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the screens.
    Yeah I've been trying FFXV and Unigine Heaven for 1 hour each. At GPU rad fan speed @100% and front intake fans 100% (2x120mm @2200RPM) I was seeing GPU temperatures of ~60°c.
    That's fine I guess. Usually when gaming I run a more reasonable fan profile, which would explain my card hitting 65-70°c. Sometimes the graph shows 75°c as the GPU max temp but that might as well be because I have my CPU rad in the front, bringing the air temperature that passes through the radiator up.

I'm not complaining about the temps, sad to see I'm not hitting these amazing high 40s but hey, 60s are absolutely fine for a non overclocked 980Ti (OC shouldn't even be much higher).

What fan setup are you running and at what RPM?
    post edited by Exidrial - 2018/05/07 06:06:39

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/07 07:30:43 (permalink)
    see I don't run any ''fan profile ''   that at out of the box stock as set in the cards bios   I never had to do any of that with the fans     then the only fan adjustable through the card is the  squirrel cage . and runs at a constant  1500 rmps +/+  25 or so at temp or idle    the radiators seems to adjust with the temps but that so slight  and I'm really guessing at that   using my hand to feel the breeze  cold at idle and then say at 40 c   it seems to be pushing a tad bit more air  , but theres on monitoring of that  to be 100% sure.

seems evga has remove the overview of this card   with all the sales pitches  , hmmmmmm......  wonder why ?  I guess they kept putting foot in mouth   as pointed out from this  [first page puddles last post ]

''    but it doesn't inspire confidence when Support/Tech are giving conflicting information; it's either Dynamic or it's constant.''    .    why I joined this forum seeing this stuff as well  . telling this guy this and that guy that  was not washing for me  , does it work as advertised or not ?

https://forums.evga.com/New-980-ti-hybrid-radiator-fan-constantly-on-full-speed-m2453739.aspx

see now all that in the cards overview has been removed  like how the fans worked as dynamic  was a highlight   sweeped under the rug  and covered them tracks  now unless you took a screen shot and saved that original hybrid articles  you now cant disprove it or what they tell you ,  its gone 
    use to say  ''you see here on the cooler its self under the rad fan  evga states its dynamic  and temp controlled  

evga specs   ''  Variable controlled fans allow dynamic fan speed based on GPU temperature, and the water cooling efficiency means very low noise fans.

then the whisper quite operation  .. gone .

now don't get me wrong   because as far as I see mine  is working as advertised  and as expected  and I'm satisfied  with it   ..   the fans seem to work as advertised   the pump is quiet  the temps stay under 50 c  not so bad out of the box boost  over speced  boost stated  . I could say this hybrid worked out a tad better then I expected  overall

so with that this is what I got to base these hybrid posts on   and I feel how my card operates is hoe they all should   new .  not crazy fan action or buzzing  or temps over 50c  and what not  . cause with this hybrid I'm not seeing any of it in the time I owned it and use it all day everyday  ..

''What fan setup are you running and at what RPM ''  

was not not in one of the 2 PM's on that ffxv test I sent you ??   if not  i'll set it back up and screen shot that
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/07 07:55:11 (permalink)
    are you getting the screen shots I sent top you in the PM's ?  they showed sent successfully  , but not showing under my sent mail thing at all  for me to review any of them  ? 
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 04:18:24 (permalink)
    Man the last two times your customer support was very helpful and immediately opened the RMA.
    This time your customer support seems to not want to help at all. I already told them that the noise occurs even with the fans off but the customer support is still like "Make sure the noise isn't coming from the fans." and that I tried mounting the radiator in all possible orientations but they still recommend mounting the radiator differently and so on, even to shake the radiator to move air bubbles around.

What's going on? You mods already confirmed that the loud pump noise is not normal so why does support not want to approve my RMA request?
    Is this some automated stuff or do you have a guy named "image"? I'm asking because the support ticket always ends with "Regards, image".

The whole exchange with support is starting to smell fishy.
    post edited by Exidrial - 2018/05/08 04:22:17

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 07:28:30 (permalink)
     I'm glad I seem to have a working as advertised  card  but like I said I learned a lesson and  wount happen twice  ..   its now fire up everyday and knock on wood  it did  . like evga wants these swept under the rug as fast as they can and cant wait till there done with them  . I feel sorry for the 10 series hybrid guys  if they don't look at what the deal is with them in the 900 series .    should help be a warning  and buyer beware  kind thing  on how it may end up for them  when evga drops the bag on those  

one thing for sure  luck of the draw is more important  then ever when you go with a hybrid ,  like nothing before  . 

see like I say here your now getting jerked around on the rma or your rma time run out  or  what ever but evga cant sell a hybrid kit  for you to just replace  yourself  for the 900 series  ?   it now just in the trash over a cooler  or a ill fitting crazy aftermarket solation to maybe keep it going  if it works out right . 

did you get my  P.M 's   
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 07:59:15 (permalink)
    yah i got your pms

Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 08:34:47 (permalink)
    Call tech support instead of using the email one.
    Also, tell them about this thread.
    They should help a lot better than the standard email ones.
    ;)

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 08:37:01 (permalink)
    ok , hope they helped in some way

I do hope you and evga work something satisfactory out  .    if no direct replacement  at least a 1080sc  at the min..   [any 10 series would stick in my crall  anyway ]  they don't fully support me  as the 900 series do   I'd still have to buy a old series card to cover what the 10 series cant  [and funny for or at the same prices 1/2 the card in support ? ..lol... ]   heck I need more then FPS or RGB lighting  to run things here  . PC building has become a joke  and a gimmick/ $  trap  [opinion]
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 12:33:07 (permalink)
    I am trying to initiate an RMA but where the hell do I find the ticket number? The tickets button just sends me to the Questions page which doesn't list any ticket number!

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 12:36:03 (permalink)
    Exidrial
    I am trying to initiate an RMA but where the hell do I find the ticket number? The tickets button just sends me to the Questions page which doesn't list any ticket number!

You have to call tech support to get a ticket number. https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 12:41:51 (permalink)
    I'm just not going to ask why that's the case. I can't remember having to call EVGA the last few times because the support technicians I wrote with opened the RMAs for me.
    Allright, going to call them tomorrow as EVGA Germany is closed right now.

Thank you for the help, Sajin.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 12:43:36 (permalink)
    No problem. You should be able to see your open rma here if they opened one for you.
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/08 12:51:11 (permalink)
    Nah, the person I have been talking to for the last few days via the question system isn't really helping and just advising me to do stuff that I already did. That's why I wanted to manually open the RMA request.

Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/15 13:17:04 (permalink)
    A week later and I still haven't been able to RMA my card. The tech said they opened a ticket for me but the RMA system didn't work so I couldn't open the RMA. Told the tech, they said they couldn't open an RMA either and told me that they told the IT, the problem was supposed to be fixed 24 hours later. Yeah I still can't open an RMA.

Now even your RMA system isn't working? What is going on?
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not insulting anybody, technical problems can happen I know that (I'm speaking from personal experience. I'm a Java developer) but I'm getting somewhat impatient now.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/15 13:20:07 (permalink)
    I notified evga for ya. 
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/15 13:20:52 (permalink)
    Thanks a bunch Sajin, will I be contacted?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/15 13:22:04 (permalink)
    They will most likely respond here in the thread, but you may be contacted by e-mail.
    Exidrial
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/15 13:24:17 (permalink)
    Allright, thanks for the help! I appreciate it (:

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980Ti Hybrid buzzing noise 2018/05/15 13:26:10 (permalink)
    No problem.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile