EVGA

980 classified fans warranty

Author
daimos84
  • Total Posts : 93
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/07 06:13:54 (permalink)
Hello everyone. The first thing i want to mention, that from the date of buying it has very strange temperature settings for chip based on Maxwell architecture: my stock ingame/3d temperatures often go much over 83c, which means, that i have to push temperature limit higher even on stock to not get downclock... Room temperature is below 25c, and my case is fractal design r5. The next problem is connected with previous: it is high end gpu,  and is made for oc, but when i try to manage fan lines, i can hear weird and annoying sound from cooling system, when fans go through range of 60-70%, and the sharper/faster speed line i do - the more noticeable noise i hear... It is really annoying in dynamics... Also if i make fan profile more aggressive,  it feels the same, and after 70% i can distinguish rattling sound from air flow of fans.Tried to сommunicate with support on this theme but not successfull. Here is last q-a and links to file hosting with video:
Question 8/7/2017 5:15:11 AM
Thank you for answer. I ve understand about temperature, so i can remove heatsink and try to change thermal grease. But i didnt understand u about noise - its not airflow, its failed bearings on fans...I ve tried my best to show you again, that it is not normal sound, sorry, but please listen these files, and u ll hear not only ticking fan sound during changing speed but also shrieks(at 50-55%) and growl after 60. It is noticeble at overall noise level and airflow sound.... i can't imagine, how to show its better...And thank you again for fast response.

Answer 8/7/2017 5:45:05 AM
Thank you for coming back with further details.
After analysis the attached video we could not find any noticeable noise coming out of Graphics card other then Air Flow.
or noise could be canceled by noise canceling feature on you mic.
Please feel free to contact for any further assistance.
Regards
EVGA

htt_ps_://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/UOLtKeZY6qj9puh1kCIhDrEGWr2hLNR7 (delete _ )
I want you to ask - does nobody else hear the problem with cooling system, and is it really ok?? Because i had sent 6 other videos before these and was answered, that it's ok. I feel frustrated and perplexed...Thank you for all opinions and experience.

post edited by daimos84 - 2017/08/07 06:22:05

8 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/07 11:23:58 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum daimos84
    Your Link: https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/UOLtKeZY6qj9puh1kCIhDrEGWr2hLNR7

Not sure what this means "my stock ingame/3d temperatures often go much over 83c"
    A Fan "range of 60-70%" is going to make some wind sounds, all part of how cooling works.
    What is the Make and Model Number of your Power Supply and the AGE of your Power Supply?
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/08/07 11:29:34

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

daimos84
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/07 11:57:22 (permalink)
    Thank you with link.
    Not sure what this means "my stock ingame/3d temperatures often go much over 83c

It means that when i play game like company of heroes 2 or battlefield 1 or witcher 3 or farcry 4 / any hard game with only factory settings, my graphics card temperature goes over 83c, when maxwell cards begin to downclock at 80c. I read that normal temperatures under load on maxwell should be about 70c...
    A Fan "range of 60-70%" is going to make some wind sounds, all part of how cooling works.

The thing is, that it is not air flow - its fan bearings, which make described sounds! Just download videos and turn them louder - microphone of recording device is good quality, u hear not "white noise" or other kind of interference or air flow sound, it is fans in work, and in some moments screech comes to the fore. I made so many videos precisely in order to show, how sound differs from one load to another.

What is the Make and Model Number of your Power Supply and the AGE of your Power Supply?

Dont't understand, why it should affect, but it is 2years old seasonic rm650gold...
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/07 15:49:01 (permalink)
    I can tell you that when I previously worked Customer Service with EVGA, noise cancellation can easily make your loud fan sound silent or normal.  In fact, I would usually tell customers that I had no problem trying to listen to coil whine or bad bearings, but sometimes the mic or compression would block the noise.  It's not that we disbelieve you, but sometimes the sound is very difficult to make out when technology is actively working against you in that situation, lol.

Unfortunately, I do not have speakers on this system I'm on, so I am unable to listen to what you posted above to offer an opinion one way or the other.  However, I'm well aware of the sound bad fan bearings make, so if you're sure that's what you're hearing, then that's what it probably is.  

The fan generally is covered under the graphics card warranty, so as long as the card is covered under warranty, you should be fine to get a replacement.  If you're under warranty and having difficulty getting a RMA replacement, please send me a PM with your serial number, and I'll have our CS team review your case.
    daimos84
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/08 02:07:59 (permalink)
    Thank you for response, yes was a little bit confused...
    EVGATech_LeeM
     and having difficulty getting a RMA replacement, please send me a PM with your serial number, and I'll have our CS team review your case.

bump
    post edited by daimos84 - 2017/08/08 04:28:19
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/08 02:35:08 (permalink)
    daimos84
    EVGATech_LeeM
     and having difficulty getting a RMA replacement, please send me a PM with your serial number, and I'll have our CS team review your case.

I don't have 10 posts on forum, so can't pm you...strange forum rule...Here is a screenshot from my profile

Please remove your serial number before posting. I have removed your image for now, because of the serial number being exposed.
    miscbyproduct
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/08 08:41:08 (permalink)
    "I don't have 10 posts on forum, so can't pm you...strange forum rule...Here is a screenshot from my profile"

restrictions like that help prevent spammers

i'm not with evga so can't say anything positively
    but I do know it is a protective tactic for users & the forum itself,  that's used in other forums

post edited by miscbyproduct - 2017/08/08 08:43:11
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/08 09:22:12 (permalink)
    daimos84
    EVGATech_LeeM

bump

Good thing email notifications keep the original post content.  I did get your serial number, and passed it on to our CS team for further review.
    daimos84
    Re: 980 classified fans warranty 2017/08/25 03:40:05 (permalink)
    Phew - arrived to evga rma dept - 2weeks of tracking, 1week at customs= 3weeks of tour overall. Glad, that it didn't get lost

ps got my rma from evga, thank your for help!
    post edited by daimos84 - 2017/09/15 10:51:19
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile