EVGA

980 TI Hybrid rad fan replacement question

Author
Xalindor
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/02/23 09:54:23 (permalink)
ok so i have the EVGA 980TI Hybrid (the closed loop water cooled one) and i want to replace the stock fan on it with a new fan (already purchased dont try to talk me out of it) i bought this fan  

Here's the problem:

The cable that comes out of the video card is only a 3 pin male and the fan is a 4 pin Female. no problem right? well the shroud around the pins on the video card will not allow me to plug the fan into the video card. 

Temporary solution:

I have the fan plugged into the CHA_1 fan slot and then went into the bios and just made it always run 100% for now....obviously this is louder than I want it to be because it won't adjust for the needs of the video card. 

PLZ HALP!!
post edited by Xalindor - 2018/02/23 11:46:32

2 Replies Related Threads

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 980 TI Hybrid rad fan replacement question 2018/02/24 05:53:18 (permalink)
    I think your then stuck running the fan on the motherboard   or you need to find a 3 pin fan   - 

seems if you look them up there are a few threads on this  here and like at toms hardware   on that issue  . maybe be some better help in one  of them  .

look up something like this   and determine  what wires do what  and you may change the 4 pin to the 3 pin plug and leave the unnecessary  wire blank   ?

https://superuser.com/questions/1126136/three-wire-and-four-wire-cpu-fans-whats-the-difference/1126155

thing is plenty of 3 pin fans in 120mm  [cheap]

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=120mm+fan&N=100007998 600035673&isNodeId=1

now I pulled the plug on my hybrid  980ti  funny   its a 2 pin from the card   but a 3 pin from the fan    so I assume  a 3 pin fan male   would fit in to the 2 pin female  of the card  [ same as 3 pin but one is blank ]   so maybe something had changed  for the worse on your 980ti hybrid ?

so for my 980ti hybrid  a 120mm 3 pin should work  direct / plug and play

sad thing is just another reason I wished I just gone with the MSI seahawk  with its corsair h55  unit on it and everything is easy and cheap  to get for replacement  parts and all that where EVGA's kind leaves you holding the bag if something goes wrong on theres  .  [your buying another new card pretty much or going all aftermarket new cooler] 

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 980 TI Hybrid rad fan replacement question 2018/02/24 13:47:06 (permalink)
    i forgot to add  above   you  may can remove the wires from the plastic connector   with a small pin  to release the ''clip ''  attached to the wires  that hold it in to the plastic part  of the plug  .

find what wires you don't need  blank them off and insert the wires you need in to the plastic plug you need   [reuse the stock evga  connector off the old stock evga fan  ]

pretty close  to what top do  should be more on it to look up and review the task

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUUxt6GBV6A
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile