EVGA

3090 Water Cooled Option: FTW3 Ultra, Founders Edition, or FTW3 HC

Author
andrewm24
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/11/24 06:13:13 (permalink)
I'm currently in the step-up queue for a 3090 FTW3 Ultra since 9/29.  In an impatient impulse buy, I was able to order a 3090 Founders Edition from Best Buy last Friday.  Ultimately I want to install a water block for integration into my custom loop.  Currently I'm using a 2080S Hydro Copper, which works pretty well.  Here are my three options, what would you do?
  1. Keep the FE, sell the FTW3 (at cost, I'm not an ahole) when I receive the step-up, wait for the awesome looking EKWB water block
  2. Sell the FE, wait for the step-up FTW3, wait for either an EKWB block or EVGA hydro copper block
  3. Sell the FE, cancel the FTW3 step-up, wait for a FTW3 hydro copper
Option 1 will be the best looking result, and slightly cheaper.  Option 2 would perform better than 1.  But 1 and 2 both require disassembling a brand new $1,500+ card to install a water block.  I've watched plenty of videos and it looks easy enough, but still.  Option 3 would perform similarly to 2, but without disassembly.  

Option 1 and 2 would allow me to use an air cooled 3090 temporarily, but that means I have to disassemble my custom loop two more times (remove 2080s HC, add block to FE or FTW3).  Ultimately I think Option 3 is my preferred choice, but could take the longest time.

I know, first world problems, right.

AMD Threadripper 3960x
EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydro Copper
128GB (8x16) G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4-3200, CL14
Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
Asus ROG Thor 1200w
Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVME
6x Samsung 850 SSD (RAID10)
LianLi O11D XL
LianLi UNI Fan SL120 (x10)
EKWB Custom Water Loop
EK Quantum Reflection Distribution Plate
EK Quantum Velocity CPU water block
360mm CoolStream XE radiator
360mm CoolStream PE radiator
16mm acrylic hard tubing

5 Replies Related Threads

Jarmel
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: 3090 Water Cooled Option: FTW3 Ultra, Founders Edition, or FTW3 HC 2020/11/24 06:17:39 (permalink)
    If you can wait, then wait. The 3rd option is probably the best but it'll take the longest. If you're concerned about performance for something like Cyberpunk then I might do option 2.
    TheHyperMatrix
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3090 Water Cooled Option: FTW3 Ultra, Founders Edition, or FTW3 HC 2020/11/24 07:07:52 (permalink)
    andrewm24
    I'm currently in the step-up queue for a 3090 FTW3 Ultra since 9/29.  In an impatient impulse buy, I was able to order a 3090 Founders Edition from Best Buy last Friday.  Ultimately I want to install a water block for integration into my custom loop.  Currently I'm using a 2080S Hydro Copper, which works pretty well.  Here are my three options, what would you do?
    1. Keep the FE, sell the FTW3 (at cost, I'm not an ahole) when I receive the step-up, wait for the awesome looking EKWB water block
    2. Sell the FE, wait for the step-up FTW3, wait for either an EKWB block or EVGA hydro copper block
    Option 1 will be the best looking result, and slightly cheaper.  Option 2 would perform better than 1.  But 1 and 2 both require disassembling a brand new $1,500+ card to install a water block.  I've watched plenty of videos and it looks easy enough, but still.  Option 3 would perform similarly to 2, but without disassembly.  

Option 1 and 2 would allow me to use an air cooled 3090 temporarily, but that means I have to disassemble my custom loop two more times (remove 2080s HC, add block to FE or FTW3).  Ultimately I think Option 3 is my preferred choice, but could take the longest time.

FTW3 HydroCopper would be the cheapest and easiest method by far.  And if you're planning to water cool, and you're not planning to void your warranty by shunt modding the card, then the FE is out of the question.  375W vs 500W power limit is massively important.  Why not sell the FE, keep the FTW3 until either an FTW3 HC shows up in Step-Up, or you get on the Notify list for the FTW3 HC, OR...if all else fails...until you get your preferred block for your existing card whenever that may be.  In the mean time, I'd recommend doing some short testing with undervolting to see how good your GPU die is.  If your existing card happens to have a great chip, then the recommendation would be to keep it and get a block separately.  If it's not a great chip, may be a better idea to sell and roll the dice on a new card when it becomes available.

Need to spamtribute 100 posts for Elite status to be able to get a KingPin because Jacob. My apologies in advance.
    andrewm24
    Re: 3090 Water Cooled Option: FTW3 Ultra, Founders Edition, or FTW3 HC 2020/11/24 16:01:56 (permalink)
    TheHyperMatrix
    andrewm24

FTW3 HydroCopper would be the cheapest and easiest method by far.  And if you're planning to water cool, and you're not planning to void your warranty by shunt modding the card, then the FE is out of the question.  375W vs 500W power limit is massively important.  Why not sell the FE, keep the FTW3 until either an FTW3 HC shows up in Step-Up, or you get on the Notify list for the FTW3 HC, OR...if all else fails...until you get your preferred block for your existing card whenever that may be.  In the mean time, I'd recommend doing some short testing with undervolting to see how good your GPU die is.  If your existing card happens to have a great chip, then the recommendation would be to keep it and get a block separately.  If it's not a great chip, may be a better idea to sell and roll the dice on a new card when it becomes available.

My current card is a 2080s hydro copper.  I'm still in the step-up queue for a 3090 FTW3 Ultra.  I think I'll return the FE to Best Buy when it arrives and cancel my 3090 FTW3 Ultra step-up queue.  Then wait for the 3090 FTW3 or Kingpin Hydro Copper notification queue.

AMD Threadripper 3960x
    Asus ROG Thor 1200w
    Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVME
    LianLi O11D XL
    EKWB Custom Water Loop
    360mm CoolStream XE radiator
    360mm CoolStream PE radiator
    16mm acrylic hard tubing
    TheHyperMatrix
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3090 Water Cooled Option: FTW3 Ultra, Founders Edition, or FTW3 HC 2020/11/24 16:11:00 (permalink)
    andrewm24
    TheHyperMatrix
    andrewm24

My current card is a 2080s hydro copper.  I'm still in the step-up queue for a 3090 FTW3 Ultra.  I think I'll return the FE to Best Buy when it arrives and cancel my 3090 FTW3 Ultra step-up queue.  Then wait for the 3090 FTW3 or Kingpin Hydro Copper notification queue.

Yeah if you can get in on any of those queues, that'd be the way to go.  Your F5 game's gotta be strong though.  Haha.

Need to spamtribute 100 posts for Elite status to be able to get a KingPin because Jacob. My apologies in advance.
    andrewm24
    Re: 3090 Water Cooled Option: FTW3 Ultra, Founders Edition, or FTW3 HC 2020/11/25 10:12:46 (permalink)
    So I received my step-up notification today.  Seems like more cards are finally being released.  Hopefully the HC cards won't be far behind.

AMD Threadripper 3960x
    Asus ROG Thor 1200w
    Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVME
    LianLi O11D XL
    EKWB Custom Water Loop