EVGA

Helpful Reply3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else...

Author
Ethrem
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/15 01:44:21 (permalink)
Just got my 3080 Ti today (much thanks to the EVGA team for the queues, I never would have ended up with a new GPU otherwise) and put it in my computer. First Time Spy run, at the very end of the run the fans went to max (about gave me a heart attack). Checked temps reported, 87C max core, 96C memory.

Undervolt to 906mV, set core to 1950MHz (Afterburner won't let me adjust the curve any lower without making large cuts to the core), and test. Time Spy puts the core to 86C and the memory to 96C. Basically no difference.

Decide to switch my H100i RGB Pro XT fans from intake to exhaust to help move out some of that air (it wasn't an issue for my previous 780 Ti SC ACX card and it let my 5600X idle in the low 30s instead of now where it idles in the mid 40s), kick the RPM of the annoying Corsair fans up to 1700RPM from 1200RPM, max out the fan speeds on my two front intake fans (stock fans from Meshify 2 case), temps go down to 76C for core, 90C for memory.

The ambient in my room is 71F, I shudder to think what it would have done if I got this card earlier in the summer when my room was 80F. 

This case is supposed to be really good for airflow so I don't know how much I can improve the situation. Are you guys just using super high speed fans to move the 400W+/- of hot air out or did I just get one that is going to need the re-paste/re-pad treatment? Honestly I'm a bit leery to try that for the first time with a $1507 card (after taxes and shipping). All the additional sensors listed in HWiNFO64 stay in the mid-upper 70s with an occasional low 80s. For now I've settled on the undervolt and cutting the power limit to 95%. Doing this, Cyberpunk at 3440x1440 ultra with RT peaks at 80C core and 90C memory without having to have my fans or my card screaming at jet engine speed. 

To be honest though, the card I originally wanted was either a 3060 Ti XC3 or 3070 XC3. After being in queues since January, I decided to just do it. I mean I spend $1K on a new phone each year without giving it a second thought and I kept my 780 Ti for 7 years (although I would have replaced it with a 1080 Ti were it not for the crypto explosion). Anyway, my point is that this performance is so ridiculously over the top and ultra settings don't really look that much better than high ones. I game at 3440x1440/120 on my desktop monitor and either 1080p/120 or 4K/60 on my Sony TV depending on the game and my mood I can always just use FPS limiters and tweaked settings to keep the card cool. Just curious if anyone has any tips I haven't thought of. 
post edited by Ethrem - 2021/10/15 01:45:52
Xtremed
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 473
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 03:30:55 (permalink)
Hi Ethrem, a few things to consider:

Yes, your airflow is vital to move the hot air, these cards are quite hot in general, but i think your might be a bit more hot than usual, I also got a new FTW3 this week, I will run a benchmark and come back to you on my AVG temps, but If i recall they were more close to 74 - 79 over the TimeSpy, (I do have an h500 mesh with lots of airflow). Do you have the quite / normal bios or the OC one on the card? I understood OC bios has a bit more aggresive fan curve which can also help you if you are not aiming to tweak it yourself.

Have you checked temps outside benchmarks, on a more basic scenario just playing around? does it hit similar temps? I went to check a few sites like guru3d and they report load temps around 77 https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_rtx_3080_ti_ftw3_ultra_review,7.html similar with techpowerup https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ftw3-ultra/32.html

If you could provide info on your specific setup that might help a bit also to figure things out.
Good luck with that!

Intel Core I7 12700K  || Noctua D15S || ASUS TUF Z690-Plus D4
32 GB Corsair LPX 3200  (16-18-18-36 @ 1.35V)
EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra || Acer Predator X34 GS @ 3440x1440 180hz
Samsung 970 EVO 512GB || Adata SX8200 Pro 2TB
3TB WD Caviar Green (Media Drive)
Creative SB ZX Sound Card || Sennheiser HD518 + ModMic II
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum || Logitech Proteus Core G502  || Logitech G29 + Shifter
CM H500P Mesh White || PSU NZXT C850
OS Windows 11 Pro

Ethrem
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 12:59:40 (permalink)
Hi Xtremed, thanks for the reply.

I forgot to flip the switch before I installed the card so it's running the regular BIOS. If all it does is tweak the fan curve, I can mess with that although it already gets obnoxiously loud. I don't seem to have one with the clicking fan issue, my fans spin up and spin down when the card is idle with no noise I can discern, just the pitch when the fans are going is the grating on the nerves kind.

Here is my build and fan config:

Ryzen 5600X (PBO on, otherwise stock)
Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm AIO
MSI MEG X570 Unify
1TB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe SSD
2x240GB Crucial M500 SSDs
1TB Seagate 7200RPM hybrid HDD
Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W PSU

Case is a Fractal Design Meshify 2 with two Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans (spec page here - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/fans/dynamic/dynamic-x2-gp-14-pwm/black/) in the front for intake, one in the rear for exhaust, and the AIO radiator is mounted in the top of the case, also configured as exhaust, using the stock Corsair ML120 fans (spec page here - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/Magnetic-Levitation-Fans/ml-pro-config/p/CO-9050040-WW)

I thought about replacing the stock fans with Noctua ones but I have read a few people say that Noctua fans have a serious resonance issue in this case and the fans it comes with aren't bad by any means.

I do have room for a third 140mm intake fan so maybe that would be an easy addition without adding too much noise. 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 14:18:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ethrem 2021/10/16 17:28:48
So you are running the stock fan curve on the card?  Try a fixed 85% fan speed.

Does the machine get good air flow in the room or is it in a corner under a desk?

Have you cleaned or removed any front intake filters?

I would move your rear fan to the front, remove the front air filter, ensure you have ample space for air flow above the PC (on the floor, to the side of a desk, not on it or under it), install the "Fan Control" freeware from github so you can adjust the fans while the PC is running, use Furmark as a test load with a power limit set to your average power while gaming, then adjust all fans for optimal noise and thermal performance at fixed fan speeds, save profile.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/10/15 14:28:42
Ethrem
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 16:27:28 (permalink)
kevinc313
So you are running the stock fan curve on the card? Try a fixed 85% fan speed.

Does the machine get good air flow in the room or is it in a corner under a desk?

Have you cleaned or removed any front intake filters?

I would move your rear fan to the front, remove the front air filter, ensure you have ample space for air flow above the PC (on the floor, to the side of a desk, not on it or under it), install the "Fan Control" freeware from github so you can adjust the fans while the PC is running, use Furmark as a test load with a power limit set to your average power while gaming, then adjust all fans for optimal noise and thermal performance at fixed fan speeds, save profile.

I messed with Afterburner today and made a custom fan profile to get rid of idle stop. I did try 85% but that causes serious case resonance noise. 80% is fine though. 

It's sitting on top of my desk because my Meshify 2 is too wide to fit under my desk so it's got plenty of airflow.

I just grabbed that Fan Control program and it unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to control my fans so I guess I'm stuck using the hideous Dragon Center from MSI.

The intake filters are all clean. I built it in February and since I was stuck with my 780 Ti, it hasn't gotten much use. The GP-14 costs $15 on Amazon, I may just order another one and leave the back exhaust alone. I did pull the intake filter and it doesn't seem to have made a difference really.

Opted to switch around prioritizing power target and temperature for now with an 83C temperature target. Ran Furmark for a few minutes and it got up to 83C quick and started dropping the clock down from the already throttled 1500-something it was already running at. Memory got to 96C so I just closed it. Unigine Valley ran right around 82C

I did just test tying my Corsair AIO fan speeds to my GPU temp and it made exactly 0 difference in temps so it's definitely not exhaust that's the problem because I don't run those fans more than 40% usually and I programmed them to kick to 100% at 80C to see what happens and Valley still hit 82C in a few minutes.
Ethrem
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 17:19:37 (permalink)
Here, I logged the behavior. This is about 5 1/2 minutes of Valley. I had just fired it up when the log starts but I cut off the early part when the logging started but the app was loading so that it was easier to see the dips. The forum likes to shrink these but if you open them, they're full size, high res images.

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 18:00:35 (permalink)
- What RPM are you running the front and rear fans at during those tests? Per the spec sheet the PWM fans are 1700RPM max with a lackluster static pressure of 1.95 mm H20.  However, the Stock fans for the Meshfy 2 are 1000RPM voltage controlled fans with .71 mm H20 static pressure.  If you have the stock fans, they are not enough, at all.  I'm running a Lian Li Lancool with two CLC280 fans in front, a stock 140 below it, two T30's in the basement intake, the CL280 rad top exhaust with A12's zip tied to it in push and a GT2150 rear exhaust.   With a 3090 FTW3 Ultra at max power 460w 4K120 VRR gaming I can keep it around 70C or so but that's on a cool night with a building exhaust fan with the fans around 1500-2000rpm and the card fans around 2500rpm 85%.  My 3080 Ti FTW3 was easier to keep cool.

- If you have voltage controlled stock fans on the case hub, Fan Control might not work with them.  Not sure how FC does with voltage control directly through the MB, but it should work.

- I bet that foam front filter is very restrictive and removing it is good for at least a few degrees, maybe 5C or more.  If you have the 1000rpm fans, I'd pull off the front filter and cover and max out those fans, see how it does.

- What power limit? Stock 100% PL is 400W nominal but will read 395w in most software but the card is actually pulling ~425w.  I see your graph, so add about 30w to that for actual power.

- Have you installed the latest Precision X1 and run the firmware update?

- Can you confirm the GPU fan number 3 is running with the others, in X1 or the HWiNFO ICX section?  2150RPM on the card fans is about 71-72%, which is too low. 85% is 2500RPM which is what I run.  Not sure what is causing your resonance, it's likely due to how the fans are interacting with case air flow.

- Having a PC up on a desk right next to you face is terrible for acoustics, obviously.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/10/15 18:04:25
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 18:16:19 (permalink)
As a side note, the 780 Ti reference card is 250w power limit.  Pretty good power, but a Ampere FTW3 air cooled card shouldn't even break 50C at 250W with the fans turned up.  At 400w it's chucking out a ton of heat and needs good air flow through the case to get rid of it.
Ethrem
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 20:05:30 (permalink)
kevinc313
- What RPM are you running the front and rear fans at during those tests? Per the spec sheet the PWM fans are 1700RPM max with a lackluster static pressure of 1.95 mm H20.  However, the Stock fans for the Meshfy 2 are 1000RPM voltage controlled fans with .71 mm H20 static pressure.  If you have the stock fans, they are not enough, at all.  I'm running a Lian Li Lancool with two CLC280 fans in front, a stock 140 below it, two T30's in the basement intake, the CL280 rad top exhaust with A12's zip tied to it in push and a GT2150 rear exhaust.   With a 3090 FTW3 Ultra at max power 460w 4K120 VRR gaming I can keep it around 70C or so but that's on a cool night with a building exhaust fan with the fans around 1500-2000rpm and the card fans around 2500rpm 85%.  My 3080 Ti FTW3 was easier to keep cool.

That's an obscene amount of fans. So yeah, I noticed when I went hunting for the fan on Amazon that there is a PWM and DC model. I didn't realize that when I pulled specs. I wrongfully assumed that GP-14 only had one model. I do indeed have the DC model and I ran them at 100% for that test.

- If you have voltage controlled stock fans on the case hub, Fan Control might not work with them.  Not sure how FC does with voltage control directly through the MB, but it should work.

The motherboard is able to control the fans so I'll just keep using that. It works fine after the long time to actually get the app running and it's just a single click to switch from the Extreme Performance setting that kicks it to 100% and the custom setting I have that runs them at 25% for regular computer usage.

- I bet that foam front filter is very restrictive and removing it is good for at least a few degrees, maybe 5C or more.  If you have the 1000rpm fans, I'd pull off the front filter and cover and max out those fans, see how it does.

The front filter is mesh and it really doesn't seem that restrictive. Removing it did not do anything for temps, the filter was gone for that run I did.

- What power limit? Stock 100% PL is 400W nominal but will read 395w in most software but the card is actually pulling ~425w.  I see your graph, so add about 30w to that for actual power.

Stock power limit at 100%. I had played with a few ranges between 80% and 100% before I switched to temperature throttle. I'll probably switch it back to PL and figure out where I need to have it to keep the card under 83C.

- Have you installed the latest Precision X1 and run the firmware update?

I did both, yes.

- Can you confirm the GPU fan number 3 is running with the others, in X1 or the HWiNFO ICX section?  2150RPM on the card fans is about 71-72%, which is too low. 85% is 2500RPM which is what I run.  Not sure what is causing your resonance, it's likely due to how the fans are interacting with case air flow.

Yes, GPU fan 3 is running as well. I don't know why Afterburner set the fans around 70% when I set it at 80% but the three fans peaked at 2151, 2,149, and 2,155, respectively. As for the resonance, it was some of the worst I have ever heard. It doesn't exist at 90% (assuming that Afterburner is actually running the fans at 90%) but the fan noise itself is unbearable at that level. My 780 Ti fans got loud but the sound was much lower which was easier to tolerate than the higher pitch of these fans.

- Having a PC up on a desk right next to you face is terrible for acoustics, obviously.

I am incredibly sensitive to fan noises so it doesn't matter if it's on the desk or under the desk, it's going to irritate me when it gets to be too loud. I actually had to move my bed into the middle of the room and put a blanket up on my wall a few weeks ago because my roommate's fan, which he has used for months and never bothered me before, suddenly started giving me panic attacks when I was trying to sleep. I have been working to get off my anxiety medication I've been on for 17 years and it's kicked up sensitivities to everything while also heightening my senses.

I went ahead and canceled the fan order since it sounds like I should replace these fans with something else eventually anyway, not going to waste another $15. It sounds like my card is fine but my airflow is inadequate for the card. Making my anxiety worse with more fan noise isn't an option so I'll just drop the power limit until I find temps I can deal with. 

Obviously I won't have to sacrifice too much considering the results on this run at 95% PL which was run almost twice as long as the one at 100%.

You have given me a lot to go on, I appreciate it. I will eventually have to replace all these case fans but I need to pivot away from spending more money and start focusing on saving again. This card was 3-4 times what I was planning to spend when I started my build in February. It is way more than I need which means I plan to keep it for awhile (purchased the extended warranty to 5 years and AMEX will give me another year on top of that), I've got time before I'll actually need 100% of the GPU's power.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 21:03:23 (permalink)
Ethrem

That's an obscene amount of fans.

Heh, thanks. Should have seen my prior 3080 FTW3 Hybrid setup with 3400rpm push pull server fans, 12 fans in the PC total, current setup is temp until I can get a hybrid cooler on the 3090.

Happy to help, sounds like for the parameters, your performance is nominal and you've got it under control.

Best bang for the buck Fan is the Arctic P-series, Amazon has the P14's for like $10 each, they push air good and are somewhat quiet (YMMV, look for setup tips).

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P14-140-Pressure-optimised-Quiet-Motor/dp/B07GZHCM3Z?th=1

The T30's and A12's are great and very quiet but expensive.

Can definitely recommend fixed fan speeds, if the tone is reasonable.  Much less noticeable than fans revving up and down.

Moving a PC around in a room can make a considerable impact on tone and volume, you can put it on a 10ft/3m or 15ft/5m DP cable and 6ft USB extensions if you want to put it across the room and in a hush box / noise damping baffle of some sort.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/10/15 21:11:51
Ethrem
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 21:21:43 (permalink)
kevinc313
Ethrem

That's an obscene amount of fans.

Heh, thanks. Should have seen my prior 3080 FTW3 Hybrid setup with 3400rpm push pull server fans, 12 fans in the PC total, current setup is temp until I can get a hybrid cooler on the 3090.

Happy to help, sounds like for the parameters, your performance is nominal and you've got it under control.

Best bang for the buck Fan is the Arctic P-series, Amazon has the P14's for like $10 each, they push air good and are somewhat quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P14-140-Pressure-optimised-Quiet-Motor/dp/B07GZHCM3Z?th=1

The T30's and A12's are great and very quiet but expensive.

Can definitely recommend fixed fan speeds, if the tone is reasonable.  Much less noticeable than fans revving up and down.

Moving a PC around in a room can make a considerable impact on tone and volume, you can put it on a 10ft/3m or 15ft/5m DP cable and 6ft USB extensions if you want to put it across the room and in a hush box / noise damping of some sort.

That's crazy haha. I don't understand how people don't get bothered by fan noise. It always bothered me, it's just a whole new level now. 

It's funny you mention those because I saw them on Amazon and was curious if they were any good. I thought there was no way they could be for that price, seems I was wrong. Something I'll have to look into for sure.

I do like fixed fans but I tend to tune them more towards the silent side. Last night I had a download going and it was taking forever so I went to bed with the computer still on and I had to turn up the front fans to drown out the pump sound and that's after I turned the pump to silent mode instead of balanced where I usually keep it. It was a real struggle to fall asleep.

I don't really have anywhere to move the computer to or I would consider that. My room is pretty cramped between the TV, bed, gaming consoles, mini fridge, armchair, and computer chair. I have to keep the computer away from the windows or I'll just be increasing the heat that it would have to deal with so the inside wall where it is now is the best place for it.

New fans are definitely in the future plans. The stock Corsair ML120s for my H100i are obnoxious and I have wanted to replace them for awhile. Just can't do that until I pay off this card.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 21:28:37 (permalink)
Yeah the server fans were way loud at full clip but okish at 2.5K and fine below 2K, very mild at 1K idle.

YMMV on the P14's, check various forums. Mixed reports.

Try sleeping with foam ear plugs fully in the ear canal.  Works for me if I'm sleeping somewhere loud.
Fuzzy833
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/15 22:50:07 (permalink)
Given that you're sensitive to fan noise, have you been tempted to swap out the air cooler for the Hybrid AIO kit? Much quieter (and cooler) under load, though slightly louder at idle due to the pump noise.
fjxxiv
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 10:57:23 (permalink)
Do these settings seem ok? While the temps did drop compared to what it was out the box, it was still a bit higher then I would have like as it hovered around 77-78 and peaked at 80 while playing warzone on 1440p. Ideally I would like to get the temps down to the low 70s...maybe just push the fans a bit more? 

-875mv/1890mhz
-65% fixed fan speed
-no memory/core clock adjustment

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 11:04:35 (permalink)
fjxxiv
Do these settings seem ok? While the temps did drop compared to what it was out the box, it was still a bit higher then I would have like as it hovered around 77-78 and peaked at 80 while playing warzone on 1440p. Ideally I would like to get the temps down to the low 70s...maybe just push the fans a bit more? 

-875mv/1890mhz
-65% fixed fan speed
-no memory/core clock adjustment

Sounds kinda terrible to me.  Improve your case air flow so you don't have to undervolt.  Turn up your fans.

I'd also just recommend setting a power limit and normal overclock.

Make sure you run X1 and the firmware update.
fjxxiv
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 11:48:07 (permalink)
kevinc313
Sounds kinda terrible to me.  Improve your case air flow so you don't have to undervolt.  Turn up your fans.

Ill try messing with the power limits...maybe like 90%? and by normal overclock you mean no overclock right? Sorry Im fairly new to MSI Afterburner as I have only overclocked on an amd gpu before.   
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 12:34:51 (permalink)
fjxxiv
kevinc313

Ill try messing with the power limits...maybe like 90%? and by normal overclock you mean no overclock right? Sorry Im fairly new to MSI Afterburner as I have only overclocked on an amd gpu before.   

I mean OC using the slider, let the GPU pick clock while working against the power limit.  Power is what makes heat and causes high temps. 

You NEED to load the latest version of EVGA Precision X1 and let it run the firmware update.  While you're at it, make sure all 3 fans are running the same in X1, even if you are using Afterburner to adjust them.

If you want good temps and power, you gotta get all your fans UP and not be running a front AIO (<-unless you have lots of other intake fans).
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/10/16 12:37:45
Fuzzy833
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 13:28:22 (permalink)
You hate front AIOs don't you! 😁 I understand why, but it's the only setup I can really use in my case. Wish I had some space at the bottom for extra intake.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 13:31:51 (permalink)
Fuzzy833
You hate front AIOs don't you! 😁 I understand why, but it's the only setup I can really use in my case. Wish I had some space at the bottom for extra intake.

If you have to, push pull on it with good pressure fans and crank it up. Or bottom intake vents.
fjxxiv
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 14:22:20 (permalink)
kevinc313
I mean OC using the slider, let the GPU pick clock while working against the power limit.  Power is what makes heat and causes high temps. 

You NEED to load the latest version of EVGA Precision X1 and let it run the firmware update.  While you're at it, make sure all 3 fans are running the same in X1, even if you are using Afterburner to adjust them.

If you want good temps and power, you gotta get all your fans UP and not be running a front AIO (<-unless you have lots of other intake fans).

Ok yeah ill try that tonight when I get home and also, I do have the latest firmware update of EVGA Precision X1. When I downloaded the software it took over the gpu and ran the fans at full speed for like 15 seconds and said it updated. Hopefully lowering the power and upping the clocks just a little takes care of the temps. 
Ethrem
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/16 17:27:50 (permalink)
Fuzzy833
Given that you're sensitive to fan noise, have you been tempted to swap out the air cooler for the Hybrid AIO kit? Much quieter (and cooler) under load, though slightly louder at idle due to the pump noise.

Honestly dropping another $120 plus pads and then taking apart the most expensive thing I have bought since my 55" X900E 4 years ago does not appeal to me in the slightest.

My solution of undervolting the card and setting the PL to 90% has me outperforming stock (higher average clock of 1911MHz vs 1834MHz) with lower temps and less fan noise so I'm happy with that.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/23599129/spy/23599189

Stock on the left, undervolt and 90% PL on the right.

Better score and 5 degree average temp difference. Tested in Cyberpunk as well and couldn't see much, if any, difference between the two other than the fact that the stock settings hit 85C and fans went to 100% (custom fan curve is set for 65% at 70C, 90% at 80C, and 100% at 85C) while the tweaked set up peaked at 78C.

Maybe in a couple years I'll be more interested in modifications but this makes me happy for now.
Xtremed
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 473
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/17 12:59:44 (permalink)
Hey Etherem great you figured it out and you found a nice undervolt for the card, at the moment i do have also several UV profiles:

806 - 1800
867 - 1890
937 - 1980 (this being the one im using usually while gaming)

Im having the OC bios atm, and over benchmarks with those im normally over the 65C degrees, of course my room temperature is quite chill over Helsinki :)

Intel Core I7 12700K  || Noctua D15S || ASUS TUF Z690-Plus D4
32 GB Corsair LPX 3200  (16-18-18-36 @ 1.35V)
EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra || Acer Predator X34 GS @ 3440x1440 180hz
Samsung 970 EVO 512GB || Adata SX8200 Pro 2TB
3TB WD Caviar Green (Media Drive)
Creative SB ZX Sound Card || Sennheiser HD518 + ModMic II
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum || Logitech Proteus Core G502  || Logitech G29 + Shifter
CM H500P Mesh White || PSU NZXT C850
OS Windows 11 Pro

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/17 15:20:54 (permalink)
Those temps are actually insane. I would RMA that card. Theres no way your EVGA card should be running 10-15c hotter than my founders card.

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/17 15:26:12 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_
Those temps are actually insane. I would RMA that card. Theres no way your EVGA card should be running 10-15c hotter than my founders card.

LOL.  There's only so much you can do with 425w if you're not going to run fast fans.
xorxhs
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/17 15:33:11 (permalink)
factory thermal pads, seems an issue lately
Ethrem
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/18 00:59:18 (permalink)
Xtremed
Hey Etherem great you figured it out and you found a nice undervolt for the card, at the moment i do have also several UV profiles:

806 - 1800
867 - 1890
937 - 1980 (this being the one im using usually while gaming)

Im having the OC bios atm, and over benchmarks with those im normally over the 65C degrees, of course my room temperature is quite chill over Helsinki :)

I had a crash playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla today so I bumped the 906mV core to 943mV at 1980 and that seems to be fine. I didn't try to tweak it some more because I wanted to get back to playing and wanted it to be stable.

I could imagine that your room could be a bit chilly there for sure lol. 

GloR1ouS_

I mean my card at stock is using 50+W more than your Founders Edition does. When I set the PL at 90%, which is still around 360W, the performance is excellent and the temps are fine too. I really do think it's just a case of me not having strong enough fans to cool a 400W card but the undervolt and PL changes don't seem to be hurting my performance, just reducing the cooling needs.

This was Assassin's Creed Valhalla, very high preset, 3440x1440, and my room was 79F.

I was not unhappy with the performance in any way, no weird stutters or anything, hour and a half of play, didn't realize the core was so solid until I pulled the log because I turned off the Afterburner OSD.

EDIT: The forum is messing up the link to the image. Originally it removed the image and I couldn't figure out why but then I tried to paste the link and saw that it was being asterisked. Imgur randomly chose a file name that the filter doesn't like so here's a re-uploaded link to it. https://i.imgur.com/3paM8dA.png
post edited by Ethrem - 2021/10/18 01:05:42
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3080 Ti FTW3 temps are something else... 2021/10/18 07:15:05 (permalink)
I'd rather have a fixed 2300 RPM on the card.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile