More Mad Lad...........

https://youtu.be/xdlW5F84CbQ

15 Replies Related Threads

Intoxicus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/22 20:51:19 (permalink)
    That guy is quite simply biased and not a good source.

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/22 20:53:56 (permalink)
    Intoxicus
    That guy is quite simply biased and not a good source.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate? 

Looks like some pretty good testing to me that no one else is doing and goes a long way in explaining why the average clocks reported in many TSE runs are in the 1900mhz range.  It also gives a very good idea of what performance to expect out of a 400-450W card with a waterblock or hybrid.  The numbers are reasonable vs. other sources and he's stated all relevant parameters. 

Believe the science.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/09/22 21:04:56
    Intoxicus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 12:13:40 (permalink)
    Ok, I'll humor you. Remember what I said about how mixing fact and fallacy can convince of falsehoods? That video is an excellent example. He says things that are true sometimes, but comes to flawed am biased conclusions.

-For starters that A/C rig is not going to be reliable when it comes to managing variables. "Probably scales similar to a waterblock" is simply not scientific.
    -Using a shunt mod invalidates everything immediately. Shunt modding is very niche and very uncommon. It goes against the idea of controlling for variables. A no power limit bios is what would be needed to get good results. Also is the 2080Ti shunt modded? He never clearly states so.
    -He does not fully explain his methodology. Gamers Nexus in contrast has videos completely dedicated to explaining their methodology and also updates to their methodology.
    -He has no control for variables at all. This makes this video and results inherently unscientific. A control is needed for proper methodology and properly accurate results
    -He doesn't understand electrical engineering and ignores current(amps) as a factor/variable completely. Ampere needs higher current at the same voltage resulting in higher wattage.(Watts==volts*amps) If Watts increases at the same volts, then there is more current(amps). A higher current can deplete the lifespan of your card Which makes statements like "a shunt mod solves everything" foolish at best.
    -Port Royale is a heavier and more power demanding benchmark. The cards are not
    eveb tapping their full potential without using RTX.
    -He misunderstands the difference between AMD & Intel CPUs when it comes to multicore vs single core performance. Intel's architecture is better at single core, while AMD's chiplet design is superior at multicore performance. These are architectural differences between the CPUs. Because gaming still doesn't fully utilize multicore processing that well single core high clocks do better, especially at lower resolutions. At 1080p the CPU is doing more work than it would at higher resolutions, resulting in a CPU bottleneck on all GPUs. This gives Intel an advantage because of the higher single core performance.
    The 100% load vs not 100% load statements totally miss the reality of the difference.
    -8nm has lower power draw with more cores/transistors. Smaller nodes are more efficient while the increase in amount of cores offsets that efficiency to result in a higher TDP. He's mixing fact and misunderstanding heavily on this point. Statements like "this is the same as 12nm" are inherently fallacious.
    -He overvalues clock speed on GPUs. In GPU tasks more cores can outweigh higher clocks. He speak like higher clocks is always better. The reality is that it's truly case by case and not something to generalize like that. Clockspeeds on the GPU won't help at 1080p so much because of CPU bottlenecking at that resolution.
    -All GPUs are CPU bottlenecked @ 1080p. Shunt mods don't fix that. Making a GPU go faster does not solve a CPU bottleneck.

All he's shown is it takes more current to run more cores/transistors at the same voltages. Which is kind of obvious to anyone that understands this stuff on a fundamental level.

There is no "deep dive" here. It's surface level and he doesn't even get fundamentals correct.

In contrast Gamers Nexus is the most scientific, objective, and reliable reviewer I know of. He has a robust and well defined methodology. Uses controls for variables, has repeatable results, actually knows the fundamentals, and admits when he doesn't know or is not sure.

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
    emotes
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 12:17:32 (permalink)
    damn that dude just got rigidi rigidi wrecked. 
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 12:22:45 (permalink)
    Intoxicus
    Ok, I'll humor you. Remember what I said about how mixing fact and fallacy can convince of falsehoods? That video is an excellent example. He says things that are true sometimes, but comes to flawed am biased conclusions.

-For starters that A/C rig is not going to be reliable when it comes to managing variables. "Probably scales similar to a waterblock" is simply not scientific.
    -Using a shunt mod invalidates everything immediately. Shunt modding is very niche and very uncommon. It goes against the idea of controlling for variables. A no power limit bios is what would be needed to get good results. Also is the 2080Ti shunt modded? He never clearly states so.
    -He does not fully explain his methodology. Gamers Nexus in contrast has videos completely dedicated to explaining their methodology and also updates to their methodology.
    -He has no control for variables at all. This makes this video and results inherently unscientific. A control is needed for proper methodology and properly accurate results
    -He doesn't understand electrical engineering and ignores current(amps) as a factor/variable completely. Ampere needs higher current at the same voltage resulting in higher wattage.(Watts==volts*amps) If Watts increases at the same volts, then there is more current(amps). A higher current can deplete the lifespan of your card Which makes statements like "a shunt mod solves everything" foolish at best.
    -He misunderstands the difference between AMD & Intel CPUs when it comes to multicore vs single core performance. Intel's architecture is better at single core, while AMD's chiplet design is superior at multicore performance. These are architectural differences between the CPUs. Because gaming still doesn't fully utilize multicore processing that well single core high clocks do better, especially at lower resolutions. At 1080p the CPU is doing more work than it would at higher resolutions, resulting in a CPU bottleneck on all GPUs. This gives Intel an advantage because of the higher single core performance.
    The 100% load vs not 100% load statements totally miss the reality of the difference.
    -8nm has lower power draw with more cores/transistors. Smaller nodes are more efficient while the increase in amount of cores offsets that efficiency to result in a higher TDP. He's mixing fact and misunderstanding heavily on this point. Statements like "this is the same as 12nm" are inherently fallacious.
    -He overvalues clock speed on GPUs. In GPU tasks more cores can outweigh higher clocks. He speak like higher clocks is always better. The reality is that it's truly case by case and not something to generalize like that. Clockspeeds on the GPU won't help at 1080p so much because of CPU bottlenecking at that resolution.
    -All GPUs are CPU bottlenecked @ 1080p. Shunt mods don't fix that. Making a GPU go faster does not solve a CPU bottleneck.

All he's shown is it takes more current to run more cores/transistors at the same voltages. Which is kind of obvious to anyone that understands this stuff on a fundamental level.

There is no "deep dive" here. It's surface level and he doesn't even get fundamentals correct.

In contrast Gamers Nexus is the most scientific, objective, and reliable reviewer I know of. He has a robust and well defined methodology. Uses controls for variables, has repeatable results, actually knows the fundamentals, and admits when he doesn't know or is not sure.

Thanks for the huge pile of low effort and mostly incorrect hand waving.  Thanks, that was great, really top tier stuff right there that is so thin and transparent I don't even need to bother refuting it.

I mean, it's perfectly fine that you don't understand the content of the video, you don't have to compensate by listing unrelated anecdotes and talking points.

Must be nice to insist on "science", then discard anything that doesn't fit your narrative as having insufficient scientific merit.  I hear they teach that in school. 

I'm assuming you've power modded your 2070 and gotten PX1 to work by now?
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/09/23 13:02:05
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 12:27:45 (permalink)
    emotes

Glad you could come join us here on the EVGA forums so we could partake in your sage advice and rapier wit. 
    emotes
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 12:34:30 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    emotes

Glad you could come join us here on the EVGA forums so we could partake in your sage advice and rapier wit. 

yes my wit and intellectual prowess can only be contained by bad 90's memes. 
    ehabash1
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 12:35:12 (permalink)
    emotes

:D
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 13:07:18 (permalink)
    ehabash1
    emotes

:D

Wack
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 13:14:59 (permalink)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 16:41:40 (permalink)
    Sigh.  Line by line.

Intoxicus

Spoken like someone who's never put AC on a PC and benched it.  I can AC my room to 60F and my hybrid from a cool start (20C idle) will hang with a waterblock in a temp normal room.  His AC box setup is close enough and he's monitoring core temps so they are comparable, in the 40C's. 

Yes, his 2080 Ti is shunt modded (VERY obviously).  Shunt modding and higher power bios are very common in gpu overclocking. 

He is controlling temp and voltage, while measuring max clock and card power draw.  Good info to get.

Now you're just hand waving and appealing to authority.  He fully explained what he was doing, he just didn't spoon feed it to you.

This is a move to dismiss the test as "not scientific".  He's performing a perfectly reasonable comparison test.

Your tenuous grasp of electronics, how gpu's work, plus more hand waving. 

P = V x I. 

Card is supplied with 12VDC.  You can easily calculate board current from any GPU power reading.  People don't usually discuss current, because cards run on 12VDC and cards report power.  Here is how a shunt mod works:

https://youtu.be/IAqFQBgRE1M

These cards run against the power limiter all the time.  More power is good if you have the cooling for it and IF the chip scales with power under high load, which is what he is trying to determine.  500w for a reference 2080 Ti with good cooling is pretty reasonable.

Totally neglected here by you and FC is that the GA102 chip seems to pull considerably less power than the TU102 at similar board power levels. This needs to be investigated further.  In the example here, the TU102 is pulling more power and more current, at a higher voltage:

https://forums.evga.com/G...-m3085826.aspx#3085860

Now I'm running on my 2080 Ti Hybrid standard Heaven at locked 1.025v (as the 3080 above) at 2100mhz, 55C, edge of stability, seeing 325w board power, 244.5w chip power, so notably more current on a lighter load than the 3080 on Port Royal. 

Now in Port Royal I'm hanging around 338w board (XC bios nominal max), chip 252w, locked at 1.025v and 1980 MHZ.  So the TU102 definitely pulls more power and current at the same voltage.  55C and stable.

While this is factually true, most people don't care about ray tracing.  FC doesn't care about ray tracing.  In the 15+ months I've owned my 2080 Ti, I've used the RTX cores for all of 10 minutes, running Port Royal.  TSE is a perfectly good 4K DX12 test and fully power loads a card.

He's making an analogy, not a technical comparison and honestly I didn't pay much attention to it.  AMD has a ridiculous architecture tying a bunch of cheap chips together.  That's why they are cheap and good at multicore loads.

The GA102 consumes less power at the chip than the TU102.  He is not aware of that yet, but will be soon.  Regardless, they are very similar chips but clearly not the same.

Clock speed is very important in any processor.  OBVIOUSLY.  Especially for people interested in overCLOCKing.  He makes point that in a light load, higher voltage, higher clock, less power limited scenario, the 2080 Ti can excel.  The 1080 and 1440p benches back that up.

And no, not every CPU bottlenecks at 1080p....that's a reddit AMD proponent opinion.  Of course, Ampere has more transistors per real core and higher IPC, but there are some real unanswered questions about chip vs. board power draw and where the power is going.

This is just a ridiculous statement to make.  Most people are at 1080P and most people are GPU bottlenecked most of the time.

There's a reason why people who know what they are doing buy Intel, fast ram, good cooling and OC.  Many games can run into the hundreds of fps.  But they want more GPU too.

As I said before, the GA102 is reporting less power draw at the chip.  I have yet to see any comparisons of chip power vs. clock vs. voltage, which would be insightful, nor a real transistor count of the cut down GA102 in the 3080.

Another appeal to authority.  Tech Jesus is very good, but doesn't have a monopoly on testing computers and far from a professional test engineer.  This is one guy doing a test, in his basement, that nobody else has done.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/09/23 18:19:59
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 19:08:25 (permalink)
    Here's JayzTwoCents with an AC unit on his 3080 FE.

https://youtu.be/7CqjtCAfhXE

https://www.3dmark.com/pr/321133
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/09/23 19:13:14
    arcky
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/23 21:10:55 (permalink)
    I wonder if double-sided vram will increase temps even more on the 3090
    ReZpawN
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 304
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/24 04:48:05 (permalink)
    Interesting 
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 High Power, Low Voltage, Enhanced Cooling Testing 2020/09/24 21:39:25 (permalink)
    After considering this further, I'm not entirely convinced FC has an optimal 3080 shunt mod and is getting performance comparable to an unlocked bios.  We'll have to see how shunts develop on the 3080.  Kudos to him for trying and sharing what he found.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/09/24 21:41:36
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile