EVGA

Hot!3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play

Author
Xaolin99
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/10 15:38:15 (permalink)
Hello, I've been having frequent stuttering issues with my 3080 for quite a lot of months now. I have included an image of my monitoring using MSI Afterburner while I played a game (Genshin Impact) which shows frequent frame time spikes. These frequent stutters are happening in every game I play including: Overwatch, Apex Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Kovaak, and Fortnite. I've tried several trouble shooting steps to try to fix the issue but nothing has worked. Here's what I tried:
1. Fresh install of Windows 10
2. Another fresh install of Windows 10 using a brand new nvme m.2 SSD.
3. ReBar ON and OFF. HAGS ON and OFF. Game Mode ON and OFF. Game Bar OFF. Disable Full Screen Optimizations ON.
4. Windows Defender ON and OFF. Windows Firewall ON and OFF.
5. GPU Undervolted, no clock modifications, and Overclocked.
6. Prefer Maximum Performance ON in NVCP.
7. Attaching a single PCI-E cable per connector on the GPU = x3 (6+2 pin connectors).
8. Ran a Memtest on the RAM, results were good.
9. Running on stock settings for my CPU.
10. Updated GPU Bios using Precision X1. Fully up to date on Nvidia drivers and motherboard BIOS.

I also found online that there seems to be some compatibility issues between my GPU and my PSU. According to the Linus Tech Tips PSU tier list ( my PSU that I bought in 2017 has tripping issues with transient high power drawing GPUs like the 3080. I've basically done everything I can to try to fix this issue without throwing money at the problem and basically making a brand new PC. So my question is, is this issue something caused by my GPU being from an early batch since I bought mine in September 2020? I've heard there's been issues with the card because of some VRAM issue while playing New World but I'm not sure if that's the same issue I'm having right now. My CPU is also only 4 years old and has been under an AIO since the beginning. The temperature of the GPU is also really good while gaming and hits a max of ~55 C.

Do I need to RMA my GPU? 

Please help, I've been stressing about this for over a month now and am at my limit. Thank you.

Attached Image(s)

22 Replies Related Threads

matthatnz
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 16:00:28 (permalink)
    If you think there is a problem maybe with your PSU why not borrow a PSU off a mate and install that to rule out that possible problem.
    Otherwise you seem to have ruled out most things really.
    To be fair it does sound like a hardware problem as you have done so much reinstalling that it can't be software.

i7 5820k 6 Core
    Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1 WIFI
    EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid
    32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2800 MHZ
    Samsung 850 Evo 512GB
    WD Black 6TB
    Acer  XB280HK 28" 3840 x 2160 UHD 
    800 Watt PSU
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 16:03:58 (permalink)
    matthatnz
    If you think there is a problem maybe with your PSU why not borrow a PSU off a mate and install that to rule out that possible problem.
    Otherwise you seem to have ruled out most things really.
    To be fair it does sound like a hardware problem as you have done so much reinstalling that it can't be software.

I unfortunately don't have a friend with a good enough PSU to borrow, I'd have to buy a new one and if it doesn't fix the issue I'd have to return it. If that's the consensus reached through this thread I'll buy a strong PSU off Amazon since they have a good return policy.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4468
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 17:28:55 (permalink)
    Have you tried it without X1 running, or any other apps that poll or use the GPU, like an active wallpaper app, GPU-Z, Geforce Experience, etc?  Any tasks that load on boot and run in the background?

What kind of 4-year old CPU are we talking about here and what Res/FPS do you game at?  Looks like 60 FPS, you may have a choppy implementation of Vsync or framerate cap, you can try using RivaTuner's cap at like 59.5 fps and tweak it up or down in .1 increments.  Looks like your GPU is barely getting out of bed at under 100w, so probably 1080P. 
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/08/10 17:43:39
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 18:19:46 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Have you tried it without X1 running, or any other apps that poll or use the GPU, like an active wallpaper app, GPU-Z, Geforce Experience, etc?  Any tasks that load on boot and run in the background?

What kind of 4-year old CPU are we talking about here and what Res/FPS do you game at?  Looks like 60 FPS, you may have a choppy implementation of Vsync or framerate cap, you can try using RivaTuner's cap at like 59.5 fps and tweak it up or down in .1 increments.  Looks like your GPU is barely getting out of bed at under 100w, so probably 1080P. 

I don't have X1 installed, I only used it to update my Bios and then I uninstalled it because I prefer MSI Afterburner. I also use a static wallpaper (no app), GPU-Z is closed, no Geforce Experience, and I've tried with MSI Afterburner both ON and OFF. I've also ran a pretty bare bones system with all nonessential apps turned off. I also run my games with Nvidia Ultra Low Latency ON.

My CPU is an 8700k. My monitor is 1440p 144 hz with G-sync ON (also tested it on OFF). I've already tried capping with Rivatuner for both Genshin Impact which runs at 60 fps and my fps games that run at 144 fps. Here's a log from MSI Afterburner while I sit in the Apex Legends firing range. It's worse when I play a full game. https://imgur.com/ofx849Q

I've gone ahead and bought a really strong PSU from Amazon that should arrive on Thursday. If that doesn't fix the issue then I'm probably going to try an RMA on my GPU because I seriously doubt my 8700k is the one giving me issues. My computer runs well and doesn't give me issues, only time I'm seeing these stutters is when playing a game.
    post edited by Xaolin99 - 2021/08/10 18:21:13
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 18:28:32 (permalink)
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313

I don't have X1 installed, I only used it to update my Bios and then I uninstalled it because I prefer MSI Afterburner. I also use a static wallpaper (no app), GPU-Z is closed, no Geforce Experience, and I've tried with MSI Afterburner both ON and OFF. I've also ran a pretty bare bones system with all nonessential apps turned off. I also run my games with Nvidia Ultra Low Latency ON.

My CPU is an 8700k. My monitor is 1440p 144 hz with G-sync ON (also tested it on OFF). I've already tried capping with Rivatuner for both Genshin Impact which runs at 60 fps and my fps games that run at 144 fps. Here's a log from MSI Afterburner while I sit in the Apex Legends firing range. It's worse when I play a full game. https://imgur.com/ofx849Q

I've gone ahead and bought a really strong PSU from Amazon that should arrive on Thursday. If that doesn't fix the issue then I'm probably going to try an RMA on my GPU because I seriously doubt my 8700k is the one giving me issues. My computer runs well and doesn't give me issues, only time I'm seeing these stutters is when playing a game.

Thanks for filling in the gaps.  What kind of PSU did you buy?  Looks like no CPU OC. Memory XMP running fine and stable?

Can you do a install of an older version of windows on a spare SSD?  There is a free demo of W10E 1809 LTSC:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-try-windows-10-for-free-for-90-days

Yes this is a radical and time consuming option but it will cut out all the crazy new stuff in the newer windows versions.

Also have you tried Windows "Game Mode" on vs. off, and disabling game bar?  Sounds like you probably have.  There's also a windows graphics setting to lock a game to the "high performance" gpu.

https://www.pugetsystems....-Kill-It-and-Why-2047/

From your screenshot of afterburner, it looks like everything is dumping out at once, CPU and GPU.  Hmm.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/08/10 18:46:16
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 18:52:23 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313

Thanks for filling in the gaps.  What kind of PSU did you buy?  Looks like no CPU OC. Memory XMP running fine and stable?

Can you do a install of an older version of windows on a spare SSD?  There is a free demo of W10E 1809 LTSC:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-try-windows-10-for-free-for-90-days

Yes this is a radical and time consuming option but it will cut out all the crazy new stuff in the newer windows versions.

Also have you tried Windows "Game Mode" on vs. off, and disabling game bar?  Sounds like you probably have.

https://www.pugetsystems....-Kill-It-and-Why-2047/

My PSU is a Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ Gold. This is the PSU I just bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M3R4YB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No CPU OC. Memory XMP has been stable and I checked with my motherboard's compatibility list beforehand just to make sure it was compatible. 

I can try the older version of Windows but probably not tonight.

For the Game Mode stuff, refer to point #3.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 19:14:15 (permalink)
    Xaolin99

My PSU is a Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ Gold. This is the PSU I just bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M3R4YB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No CPU OC. Memory XMP has been stable and I checked with my motherboard's compatibility list beforehand just to make sure it was compatible. 

Interesting stuff.  Forgot the part about game mode, you covered a lot of ground in your first post!

That PSU is being sold by a 3rd party seller, just be careful it's not an older non-ultra version.  PN is correct though for the Ultra, so it's probably fine.  Here's a couple other links for the current version:

https://www.bhphotovideo....ra_ssr_850tr_850w.html

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-ssr-850tr-850w/p/N82E16817151196

Vs. old SSR-850TD:

https://www.anandtech.com...um-power-supply-review

https://seasonic.com/prime-titanium#overview

No idea how good either one is on Ampere, but I have a 1300w Prime Gold (non-ultra) that was rock solid on a 3080 FTW3 450w and got put into protect mode (like hard shut off) with a 3080 Ti FTW3 at full power.  Replaced it with a SF 1000w Leadex SE Plat. Regardless I doubt it's the PSU, unless the PSU is just bad.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/08/10 19:34:58
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 19:35:26 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Xaolin99

Interesting stuff.  Forgot the part about game mode, you covered a lot of ground in your first post!

That PSU is being sold by a 3rd party seller and might be an older non-ultra version.  PN is correct though for the Ultra, so it's probably fine.  Here's a couple other links for the current version:

https://www.bhphotovideo....ra_ssr_850tr_850w.html

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-ssr-850tr-850w/p/N82E16817151196

Vs. old?

https://www.amazon.com/Se...SR-850TR/dp/B07X9VYLHH

No idea how good either one is on Ampere, but I have a 1300w Prime Gold (non-ultra) that was rock solid on a 3080 FTW3 450w and got put into protect mode (like hard shut off) with a 3080 Ti FTW3 at full power.  Replaced it with a SF 1000w Leadex SE Plat. Regardless I doubt it's the PSU, unless the PSU is just bad.

Thank you for the info, I cancelled my order with amazon and got the one from B&H Photo. The one from Amazon was also from 2017 just like the one I currently have. I do think it's a power supply issue because on Linus Tech Tips (https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list/) my PSU is warned against using with a 3080 because it's known for causing tripping problems. The new PSU should arrive on Friday and if that doesn't fix it I'll give EVGA customer support a call for a possible RMA since I can't afford a new CPU/Motherboard at the moment.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/08/10 19:39:26 (permalink)
    Xaolin99

Thank you for the info, I cancelled my order with amazon and got the one from B&H Photo. The one from Amazon was also from 2017 just like the one I currently have. I do think it's a power supply issue because on Linus Tech Tips (https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list/) my PSU is warned against using with a 3080 because it's known for causing tripping problems. The new PSU should arrive on Friday and if that doesn't fix it I'll give EVGA customer support a call for a possible RMA since I can't afford a new CPU/Motherboard at the moment.

Sounds good, glad it worked out. Have not seen any bad reports on the Ultra's.  Hope it helps.
    Shavlan
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/10 12:26:20 (permalink)
    Hey, I purchased a pre built from nzxt and have the same psu as your old one. I also have stuttering issues only while gaming. I have tried absolutely everything including rma the entire pc back to nzxt which they in turn said there was nothing wrong with it. Did the new psu fix the problem?
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 12:45:41 (permalink)
    My issue was not fixed with a new PSU. I still get stutters in every game at random. Only 3 things left that it could be: bad CPU, bad motherboard, or bad GPU.
    Fastjoe90
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 14:02:37 (permalink)
    I know that you said you tried on a fresh Windows install, but by chance you’re not using some sort of RGB software are you? When I first built my PC I noticed I was getting very bad performance/stuttering/freezing and it was solved by uninstalling the motherboard RGB software (Fusion I think it’s called).
    Shavlan
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 14:43:34 (permalink)
    So I had very similar issues. I actually bought a new psu and it didn’t fix it either. I recently turned on performance mode under the power options to make sure the cpu minimum state is at 100% and it made about 90% of the stuttering to stop. Not the nvcp option like you tried but the windows setting.
    Shavlan
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 14:47:42 (permalink)
    I am planning on buying a case with better airflow and since I have a asus tuf x570 board I and going to upgrade that to a rog strix board. I saw some people having issues with higher end hardware with this board so I’m hoping that fixes the other stuttering I’m getting.
    venstan
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 15:18:29 (permalink)
    Xaolin99
    Hello, I've been having frequent stuttering issues with my 3080 for quite a lot of months now. I have included an image of my monitoring using MSI Afterburner while I played a game (Genshin Impact) which shows frequent frame time spikes. These frequent stutters are happening in every game I play including: Overwatch, Apex Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Kovaak, and Fortnite. I've tried several trouble shooting steps to try to fix the issue but nothing has worked. Here's what I tried:
    3. ReBar ON and OFF. HAGS ON and OFF. Game Mode ON and OFF. Game Bar OFF. Disable Full Screen Optimizations ON.
    7. Attaching a single PCI-E cable per connector on the GPU = x3 (6+2 pin connectors).
    10. Updated GPU Bios using Precision X1. Fully up to date on Nvidia drivers and motherboard BIOS.

I also found online that there seems to be some compatibility issues between my GPU and my PSU. According to the Linus Tech Tips PSU tier list ( my PSU that I bought in 2017 has tripping issues with transient high power drawing GPUs like the 3080. I've basically done everything I can to try to fix this issue without throwing money at the problem and basically making a brand new PC. So my question is, is this issue something caused by my GPU being from an early batch since I bought mine in September 2020? I've heard there's been issues with the card because of some VRAM issue while playing New World but I'm not sure if that's the same issue I'm having right now. My CPU is also only 4 years old and has been under an AIO since the beginning. The temperature of the GPU is also really good while gaming and hits a max of ~55 C.

Do I need to RMA my GPU? 

Please help, I've been stressing about this for over a month now and am at my limit. Thank you.

what PSU are you used?
    because this issue really may be is from the PSU
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 16:57:23 (permalink)
    Fastjoe90
    I know that you said you tried on a fresh Windows install, but by chance you’re not using some sort of RGB software are you? When I first built my PC I noticed I was getting very bad performance/stuttering/freezing and it was solved by uninstalling the motherboard RGB software (Fusion I think it’s called).

I have Corsair RGB fans being controlled by Corsair LINK (not ICUE because I dislike ICUE). I've already tried games with and without the software installed and it didn't make a difference.

Shavlan
    So I had very similar issues. I actually bought a new psu and it didn’t fix it either. I recently turned on performance mode under the power options to make sure the cpu minimum state is at 100% and it made about 90% of the stuttering to stop. Not the nvcp option like you tried but the windows setting.

I'm using Windows Ultimate Performance Mode which is the highest power settings you can go and it's never changed anything regarding my stutters.

venstan
    Xaolin99

Do I need to RMA my GPU? 

what PSU are you used?
    because this issue really may be is from the PSU

I've already replaced my PSU with this brand new one: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W 80+. My issue has not been fixed.
    post edited by Xaolin99 - 2021/09/21 16:59:26
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 18:23:48 (permalink)
    I'd take a spare SSD (even Sata) and try a fresh, minimalist install of W10E LTSC 1809.

How much memory, are they in the primary pair of slots and what are your Virtual Memory settings like?  System managed paging size on a single NVMe drive is a good bet.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/21 18:26:30
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 19:45:36 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    I'd take a spare SSD (even Sata) and try a fresh, minimalist install of W10E LTSC 1809.

How much memory, are they in the primary pair of slots and what are your Virtual Memory settings like?  System managed paging size on a single NVMe drive is a good bet.

I have 32 GBs DDR4 3200 MHz. System is auto managing the page file at 5 GBs. 
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 20:32:40 (permalink)
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313

Sounds normal.  Sigh.  Well if you feel up to it, might be worth trying the LTSC.  If you're not familiar with it, it's the stripped down version of windows for embedded PC's, most similar to W7E.  I've been running it since early 2019.
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 21:10:58 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313

Sounds normal.  Sigh.  Well if you feel up to it, might be worth trying the LTSC.  If you're not familiar with it, it's the stripped down version of windows for embedded PC's, most similar to W7E.  I've been running it since early 2019.

Do you have a link for it? I remember looking for it the first time you recommended it but I only found a demo version
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 21:18:53 (permalink)
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313

Do you have a link for it? I remember looking for it the first time you recommended it but I only found a demo version

Yeah there's a 90-day demo, but it's the full working version.  If you're looking for a full licensed version I'd check the applicable forums.
    Xaolin99
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra stuttering in every game I play 2021/09/21 22:05:24 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313
    Xaolin99
    kevinc313

Yeah there's a 90-day demo, but it's the full working version.  If you're looking for a full licensed version I'd check the applicable forums.

I'll check out the demo then whenever I have some spare time. Right now my goal is to do some major upgrades to my pc whenever prices become more affordable. Hopefully by Black Friday.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile