EVGA

Helpful Reply3080 FTW3 Ultra overheats my M.2 drive - 75C+

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
voodoodrul
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra overheats my M.2 drive - 75C+ 2020/11/24 20:06:38 (permalink)
MatthewAMEL
Have you replaced the thermal material on the m.2 heatsink with something decent?

I have a MSI Z490 Godlike with a very similar setup. I replaced the thermal pad with gelid extreme 3mm and saw temps drop 7C. But I also have 3x120LL fans blowing across the face of the MB and 2x120LL directly at the 3080.

The reason I ask is most MB manufacturers include two pieces of thinner material for the top of the ssd. One thicker piece is more effective than two thinner ones.

Good suggestion. I have not. The single layer thermal pad that is in place makes very good contact. If anything, it puts a little too much pressure on the drive. Instead I removed the Samsung 970 Evo and replaced it with a "slower" PNY XLR8 CS3030 2TB. Temps are much lower because this drive naturally runs cooler. The hotter (second) SSD (EX950) is in the lower slot.
post edited by voodoodrul - 2020/11/24 21:01:32
voodoodrul
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra overheats my M.2 drive - 75C+ 2020/11/24 22:29:34 (permalink)
After swapping SSDs, tuning fan curves as much as possible, and upgrading firmware for various devices (fan controllers, GPU, BIOS), temps for both drives are just fine. Having a naturally cooler SSD in the top slot really helps. 

Extended gaming session. Not too bad.

But the chipset is still hotter than I would like.. Not sure if it really matters, honestly. The x570s run hot to begin with and seem to be pretty normal around 75c without a heatpipe or other more exotic cooling. 

GPU temps plateau at 75C and the drive closest to the GPU only has about a 10c delta between idle and full load. CPU temps continue to be pretty chill.

The real question - which temp sensor is the right one to trust? hwinfo shows Motherboard, Temp2, Temp3, Temp4, Temp5, Temp9, under the Nuvoton device, and another rogue "Chipset" temp 

I don't have a thermal probe, but to the touch, the chipset is smokin'. The number here doesn't seem to agree with the BIOS, but that's hard to test. I assume the "motherboard" temp is the one most people are quoting, but as with all things hwinfo, figuring how to un-gaslight yourself is tricky. 

Pretty sure that "chipset" is the "real" one to monitor since the others either decrease as actual temps increase, and the "motherboard" and "mainboard" as shown in CPUID HWMonitor basically never move even though I can tell a massive difference to the touch.

Since the original issue is taken care of, I don't think there's anything further here. SSD temps are mitigated down from 80c thermal throttling, and chipset numbers are in the normal range, even though 80c+ on the chipset might be alarming. I have also made a small shroud that blocks the heat from the GPU hitting the chipset, which has dropped temps further by 10c getting down to 70c. Still hotter than some in this thread think a chipset should be, but I think we're all comparing different sensors, so our assumptions about normal are different.
post edited by voodoodrul - 2020/11/25 00:25:30
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra overheats my M.2 drive - 75C+ 2020/11/24 23:19:26 (permalink)
Too hot to touch is 60c.  So, 63c is very plausibly "smoking" to the touch.

Again, your previous temperatures were no problem.  If anything, your current drive temperatures are kind of too cold.  But you know, don't believe me.  I mean, it's just science and proven by researchers.  But whatever.

I have no idea why this has continued into a 3-page thread, and yet you are still unsatisfied.  It could have been a 2-post thread.  1 post saying "what's wrong?", and a second post saying "it's fine".

It was fine before.  If you like it cooler, now it is cooler.  Move on with your life.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile