EVGA

3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours.

Author
kasaGG
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/11/08 20:02:30 (permalink)
Title. I recently received my 3080 on Nov. 4 and it has been constantly freezing/hanging usually around 2 hours of use. Audio is fine but I cannot click on anything nor can I use task manager. The only way I can restart is by pressing the power button on my PC. I've been monitoring it for 4 days now and it is always the case after 2 hours of use. Just yesterday I upgraded my PSU and CPU because I thought that it would solve the issue as well as use DDU. However, the results have been the same. Regardless of whether I am playing or if I am just browsing the internet, it just hangs (or at least crashes Windows). I am in need of help. Thanks.

11 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/09 04:20:11 (permalink)
    Full system specs will help those that would like to help you. If they're in your signature, mobile users cannot see it.
    Dyezak
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/09 07:29:21 (permalink)
    Yes, full specs.  PSU, CPU, RAM, MOBO, BIOS, EVGA 3080 Firmware, cooling solution, and if you have any logs that would be awesome.  Any windows errors logged? 

I have been fighting a problem I could have misconstrued to be a GPU issue (computer would resume from sleep, hang, video out would disappear, and I could only recover by a hard reset).  It turned out to be a problem between my motherboard and windows hybrid sleep settings.  The more details you give the more likely someone here will be able to spot the issue.  

Good Luck!
    kasaGG
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/09 17:50:30 (permalink)
    Motherboard: Z370 Aorus Gaming Wifi (rev 1.0)
    CPU: i7-9700k (currently OC'ed to 4.6)
    CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 120
    GPU: 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
    PSU: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold
    Firmware (from X1): 2.1.14
    BIOS ver.: F15a (latest version)
    Driver ver.: 456.38

I was messing around with the ram settings in the bios last night. I turned XMP off and on and it didn't crash or hang with 4+ hours of use but it could be a fluke. I woke up, started my PC, and then took a shower and when I returned it froze on me. 

post edited by kasaGG - 2020/11/09 17:55:46
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/09 18:40:14 (permalink)
    Start by disabling all overclocks, and not running xmp.
    kasaGG
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/17 23:33:58 (permalink)
    I may have figured it out. I updated to the latest Windows update and it may have fixed every problem I was having. From the freezing/hanging to the CPU coolers throttling. But I'm still testing.
    Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/18 06:16:41 (permalink)
    kasaGG

I was messing around with the ram settings in the bios last night. I turned XMP off and on and it didn't crash or hang with 4+ hours of use but it could be a fluke. I woke up, started my PC, and then took a shower and when I returned it froze on me. 

Bruh that CPU cooler for that CPU is O_O Just thought I'd mention that...

First things first, when it comes to BIOSes, I typically follow the rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", did you update BIOS recently before installing the new GPU?  I have had issues with some BIOS revisions from Gigabyte, issues appeared out of nowhere on previously stable settings, and reverting BIOS "magically" solved it, meaning the BIOS itself was somehow the issue... having said that, I'm now running on the latest BIOS with no issues, for my board.

Second, sometimes if issues like this crop up, I've found that going in to BIOS, resetting to "Load Optimized Defaults", letting it reboot & re-learn everything (which is why it takes a bit to boot after doing this) then booting in to Windows, logging in, letting it sit on desktop for a bit, then rebooting & reloading my overclocks, sometimes fixes issues.  I do not understand WHY this works, but it does.  In particular if I'm testing new settings & errors occur, then I go back to my known-stable settings & they also have issues, this always does the trick.

Third: Update drivers - 456.38 are severely out of date & could be giving you any number of issues.

Next: The fact that you disabled then reenabled XMP & the issues seem to have gone away tells me it's POSSIBLE (maybe) that the BIOS is setting some secondary timings incorrectly because your RAM may not be on the QVL which means the board doesn't "know" what those settings are and is just guessing.  Sometimes simply disabling XMP, rebooting and reenabling it cuz make it re-learn timings & suddenly get them right.  I would look in to finding someone that's running your RAM that has fiddled with RAM Overclocking, and find out what their timings were for "stock" if they list them, and copy those manually in to your BIOS, might help.

I would also check to see what your VCCIO & VCCSA are at, sometimes certain boards set those way higher (or lower) than they need to be, and that can result in errors.  Typically for a 9xxx-series you can run VCCIO @ 1.0 or .95v & VCCSA @ 1.05 or 1.0V at stock and be fine (this is what I run mine at at stock, for my overclock I run VCCIO @ 1.15V & VCCSA @ 1.2V).  You want to make sure those aren't set too high especially, as that can damage your CPU's memory controller (anything over 1.25V is too high unless you're pushing your RAM hard timings/speed wise, and you're not, so it should be below that for sure).

Lastly, if the issues continue after all that, I would definitely go back to basics, set everything to stock (CPU on full auto settings, no XMP, no nothing), and use the system, see if it still has issues. 

Hope that helps.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

dragomirc
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 760
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/18 06:19:56 (permalink)
    Disable hibernate and sleep mode in Windows.
    kasaGG
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/18 08:51:09 (permalink)
    Dabadger84
    kasaGG

Bruh that CPU cooler for that CPU is O_O Just thought I'd mention that...

First things first, when it comes to BIOSes, I typically follow the rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", did you update BIOS recently before installing the new GPU?  I have had issues with some BIOS revisions from Gigabyte, issues appeared out of nowhere on previously stable settings, and reverting BIOS "magically" solved it, meaning the BIOS itself was somehow the issue... having said that, I'm now running on the latest BIOS with no issues, for my board.

Second, sometimes if issues like this crop up, I've found that going in to BIOS, resetting to "Load Optimized Defaults", letting it reboot & re-learn everything (which is why it takes a bit to boot after doing this) then booting in to Windows, logging in, letting it sit on desktop for a bit, then rebooting & reloading my overclocks, sometimes fixes issues.  I do not understand WHY this works, but it does.  In particular if I'm testing new settings & errors occur, then I go back to my known-stable settings & they also have issues, this always does the trick.

Third: Update drivers - 456.38 are severely out of date & could be giving you any number of issues.

Next: The fact that you disabled then reenabled XMP & the issues seem to have gone away tells me it's POSSIBLE (maybe) that the BIOS is setting some secondary timings incorrectly because your RAM may not be on the QVL which means the board doesn't "know" what those settings are and is just guessing.  Sometimes simply disabling XMP, rebooting and reenabling it cuz make it re-learn timings & suddenly get them right.  I would look in to finding someone that's running your RAM that has fiddled with RAM Overclocking, and find out what their timings were for "stock" if they list them, and copy those manually in to your BIOS, might help.

I would also check to see what your VCCIO & VCCSA are at, sometimes certain boards set those way higher (or lower) than they need to be, and that can result in errors.  Typically for a 9xxx-series you can run VCCIO @ 1.0 or .95v & VCCSA @ 1.05 or 1.0V at stock and be fine (this is what I run mine at at stock, for my overclock I run VCCIO @ 1.15V & VCCSA @ 1.2V).  You want to make sure those aren't set too high especially, as that can damage your CPU's memory controller (anything over 1.25V is too high unless you're pushing your RAM hard timings/speed wise, and you're not, so it should be below that for sure).

Lastly, if the issues continue after all that, I would definitely go back to basics, set everything to stock (CPU on full auto settings, no XMP, no nothing), and use the system, see if it still has issues. 

Hope that helps.

Yeah I know that CPU cooler is not enough at all but that was for my old CPU. I'm going to upgrade my cooler soon. Also I did update to the latest drivers. Since making this post I tried to remove all the overclocks and XMP and ran my PC as long as I could but it froze at the 2 hour mark all the time. Anyways I will do all the things you recommended me to do. I have a feeling it might be either the GPU or BIOS. But another thing to note is that I ran my PC for as long as I could today after updating my Windows and the longest it could take was 9 hours and then the freezing happened again. I restarted my PC and it lasted an hour. Restarted again and it lasted about 5-6 hours. So I feel like it got better after the Windows update but still not fixed. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/11/18 11:34:33 (permalink)
    Did your previous graphics card cause freezing? If no, I would pop the old card back in and test to see if the issue goes away. If the issue doesn't go away I would test my ram, and hdd/ssd for errors.
    MMXMMX
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/12/04 18:19:58 (permalink)
    I got the same problem and i do not OC

Motherboard: Z390-A Asus
    CPU: i9-9900k
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    PSU: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold
    Firmware Latest version
    BIOS ver.: 1401
    Driver ver.: 457.51

post edited by MMXMMX - 2020/12/04 18:38:53
    dmisiur
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra keeps freezing PC after 1.5-2 hours. 2020/12/04 23:58:13 (permalink)
    I had an issue like that, it ended up being the mobo.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile