EVGA

3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing

Author
Vizjun990
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/09 00:42:22 (permalink)
So I just installed the card I got today and everything seemed fine until i started up a game and noticed this horrendous whine coming from my GPU. Through poking I determined it to not be the fans, but something else. I have seen posts about firmware updates for coil whine, but when I opened PX1 nothing updated? It seems to me that I will be RMAing. Anyone have any info on coil whine or buzzing coming from this card only when gaming?

Im using 3 separate PCIE cables and I previously was using int he same build EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA+, OVERCLOCK I bought about a year ago and it had no whine when gaming in the same PC the 3080 is now in. This PC is also a month old.

post edited by Vizjun990 - 2020/10/09 01:12:20

23 Replies Related Threads

Drwaffles
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/09 02:58:09 (permalink)
    Coil whine is pretty normal when frames are being smashed out, my old Strix OC was terrible.. It's usually loading or in menus.
    Frame limiters (Such as RTSS) help with it as well as improve frame time consistency.
    bcavanagh
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/09 04:52:41 (permalink)
    Drwaffles
    Coil whine is pretty normal when frames are being smashed out, my old Strix OC was terrible.. It's usually loading or in menus.
    Frame limiters (Such as RTSS) help with it as well as improve frame time consistency.

Kind of sad how apathetic you are and how you are fine with this being normal. Yes, it has become common with modern generations of cards but is totally unacceptable and we should not stand for it. 
    jmrosero25
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 05:29:24 (permalink)
    have the same on FTW3 ULTRA.. its defitnitely too loud. is there any fix for it?
    nutseller
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 07:56:25 (permalink)
    I have a FTW3 Ultra, and I am having a high pitched beep sound when the fans are spinning. No beeping when the fans are at 0%. It seems like the firmware update was for XC3 models.

Nothing for the FTW3? Please help us.
    jmrosero25
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 08:04:12 (permalink)
    i have the same problem with my 3080 ftw 3 ultra. louad coil whine or static. please update us with any fix?
    CryMeAReaver
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 08:40:01 (permalink)
    Same issues here.

Things I've tried without success:
    • Benching for 20+ hours
    • A different PSU (even though my PSU is a brand new EVGA 850 GA and there was no whine w/ previous GPU)
    • Moving to a separate power outlet with/without a UPS
    • Every possible combination of VGA cables (3 separate, 2 separate, etc.)

JayManB
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 10:08:43 (permalink)
    Does it only have coil whine at really high framerates like 200+ or all the time?

I hate coil whine.  I've been through this with other graphics cards switching PSUs, switching cables, and nothing has ever fixed it.  Some cards either have it or they don't.  There are videos of people fixing their GPUs but they are doing things to their cards that would void your warranty.

This is starting to worry me about the 3080s.  So far I have seen reviews of the FE card, the Strix card, and now the FTW3 cards having coil whine.  The worse is the video I saw of the Strix card the reviewer put his mic next to the case window and it was really bad. 

Like Drwaffles said frame limiters are your best option.
    nutseller
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 10:35:56 (permalink)
    I’m essentially having the same problem as the XC3. High pitched fan noise when the fans are spinning. Even when I am not gaming. Not sure why they haven’t sent out a firmware update to the FTW3 for this problem like they did for the XC3.
    post edited by nutseller - 2020/10/10 10:38:04
    Sclose81
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 10:52:17 (permalink)
    wasn't there a bios update for the gpus at the initial release to fix coil whine issue ? is your card running that update or is it from the initial install? have you checked gpu-z to verify your bios
    Sclose81
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 10:53:49 (permalink)
    Guys i found the post ,,, if this applies to you try it 

forums.evgadotcom/EVGA-3080-XC3XC3-Ultra-Quiet-Fan-Firmware-Update-m3084561.aspx

just fix spacing and the  .com
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 10:54:51 (permalink)
    Sclose81
    wasn't there a bios update for the gpus at the initial release to fix coil whine issue ? is your card running that update or is it from the initial install? have you checked gpu-z to verify your bios

The precision x 1 firmware update is for the fan controllers, not the VBIOS as far as I could tell (got 2 updates on my 3090 FTW3). They addressed the fans making noises / not acting right, not coil whine even though the sound could be misconstrued as coil whine.
    post edited by arestavo - 2020/10/10 11:01:17
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 10:58:38 (permalink)
    Sclose81
    Guys i found the post ,,, if this applies to you try it 

forums.evgadotcom/EVGA-3080-XC3XC3-Ultra-Quiet-Fan-Firmware-Update-m3084561.aspx

just fix spacing and the  .com

Just install the latest (1.1.0.9) precision x 1 and it will install any firmware update needed: https://www.evga.com/precisionx1/
    Sclose81
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 10:59:57 (permalink)
    ouch whelp i guess the only thing left to do is continue to hold on to the cards as they are a rare thing until newer batch is released then go for RMA ... if the coil whines truly awful they'll switch it out . 

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 11:01:52 (permalink)
    Every introduction of a new product = coil whine. I'm like so over it.

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 11:08:23 (permalink)
    Coil whine can be induced by the quality of AC power (a line conditioner / active PFC pure sinewave UPS can help), the power supply can whine (increased load with these higher power draw cards) or can also induce coil whine in the card, or the card itself can coil whine no matter how good the power / power supply. A combination of these is likely the culprit.

Easiest way to test - try a different power supply, a friend's computer, a computer repair shop, or a different power outlet on a different circuit breaker (multiple high power draw items can cause problems).

Second easiest: RMA the GPU, and if it persists, RMA the power supply.

Stuff that costs a good bit more money: power conditioner, active PFC pure sinewave UPS, new power supply
    riku98523
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/10 13:06:47 (permalink)
    JayManB
    Does it only have coil whine at really high framerates like 200+ or all the time?

I hate coil whine.  I've been through this with other graphics cards switching PSUs, switching cables, and nothing has ever fixed it.  Some cards either have it or they don't.  There are videos of people fixing their GPUs but they are doing things to their cards that would void your warranty.

This is starting to worry me about the 3080s.  So far I have seen reviews of the FE card, the Strix card, and now the FTW3 cards having coil whine.  The worse is the video I saw of the Strix card the reviewer put his mic next to the case window and it was really bad. 

Like Drwaffles said frame limiters are your best option.

I can only give my experience, but I have no coil whine an haven't on a gpu since like gtx 200 series. I always use the highest quality psu I can find at the time, high end motherboards and high end surge protectors. The thing I learned way back when I had whine was that it is often caused by a combination of hardware. There are so many magnetic fields in your pc that part combinations often are the culprit of cool whine

Now I don't know if higher end parts tend to be better built against coil whine or not, but it seems reasonable to me that a high end psu that is significantly more efficient than a lower end one will, at least for the psu, have way less influence on coil whine as less energy is turned into heat keeping the components from generating as much magnetic fields.

Or I could be completely wrong. No issues with my ftw 3 ultra though so I either got lucky or those in this thread got unlucky. I'd wager that more people will have products without the issue though and that like anything the actual defect percent is probably low and at expected levels. This if course means if the gpu is the sole culprit just gonna have to rma.
    RandomZero72
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/11 00:53:47 (permalink)
    It's happening with mine, which I received today also.  It is intermittent and only lasts for a second or two, but it is definitely coil whine.  This is on a Corsair RM850 watt PSU that is less then a year old, using three single PCIe power cables from the PSU to the card, on a system that is plugged in to a UPS.  The card that it replaced was a XC Ultra 2080ti that was also bought at card launch, and had no problems.  I haven't run any benchmarks, but played Path of Exile for a few hours, which is not exactly graphically intensive but still will throttle your GPU up to 100%.   I'm guessing this is happening when the power the card is pulling goes past 100% usage.  Is there a good way to limit this thing from going past that point? 

Edit:  I do want to say that this piece of computer engineering is pretty damn awesome though :)

Edit 2:  So just to be sure, I opened everything up and reseated cables.  Nothing appeared to need it but wanted to check just to be sure.  I've been running in-game with two different streams open on my other monitors for about 3.5 hours now and have not experienced anything out of the ordinary to this point.  So hopefully it was just something that simple even though it seemed like everything was seated properly.  If anything changes I'll updated.
    post edited by RandomZero72 - 2020/10/11 06:16:25
    CryMeAReaver
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/11 06:45:41 (permalink)
    One thing I noticed is that undervolting mine seems to decrease whine on some games. If you search youtube for "undervolting evga ftw3 ultra 3080", there's a Lucktronics vid I followed.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/11 07:51:30 (permalink)
    Well, first off coil whine is subjective. Over time it will dissipate to a certain degree and based on other components in the system, mainly the PSU can be the core cause of it. As a consumer, I have had some form of coil whine on various products, but not limited to, electronic hardware such as my TP Link router which under my desk as it is currently emitting a coil whine like noise. New products which need to have the coils themselves broken in - however - some will simply be like this due to the manufacturing of the coil themselves. Most customers have their computers on their desk right next to them at an angle. Most glass cases can dampen the noise but in some cases amplify it. Using a UPS back up can cause this. I have spoken to many customers where they are completely ignoring the use of a surge protector and their PSU is plugged directly into the wall. Older houses and their wiring do factor into this as well. There are so many working parts to how coil whine happens, most of the time it's at a level that is silent to one person yet loud and obnoxious to another. 
    RandomZero72
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/11 16:08:01 (permalink)
    Well, it was noticeably audible coil whine.  Wearing a set of closed back headphones, with game sound and a twitch stream up, it sounded like some oddly toned whistle...it took me awhile to remove my headphones so I could try to figure out what the noise was, but once it happened it was obvious.  Again though, since that stretch of time last night, things seem good.  Either the card need that brief period of use or something was just not tightened up all the way.
    Vizjun990
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2020/10/16 12:16:50 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DanielM
    Well, first off coil whine is subjective. Over time it will dissipate to a certain degree and based on other components in the system, mainly the PSU can be the core cause of it. As a consumer, I have had some form of coil whine on various products, but not limited to, electronic hardware such as my TP Link router which under my desk as it is currently emitting a coil whine like noise. New products which need to have the coils themselves broken in - however - some will simply be like this due to the manufacturing of the coil themselves. Most customers have their computers on their desk right next to them at an angle. Most glass cases can dampen the noise but in some cases amplify it. Using a UPS back up can cause this. I have spoken to many customers where they are completely ignoring the use of a surge protector and their PSU is plugged directly into the wall. Older houses and their wiring do factor into this as well. There are so many working parts to how coil whine happens, most of the time it's at a level that is silent to one person yet loud and obnoxious to another. 

So in my journey testing this issue I have used the GPU in a different PC build and got no whine. Then I put it back in mine and got the whine again. Then im my PC i changed out my HX850 for a RM850x and it went away, then I got a brand new HX850 (previous HX was also new) and now its back. For me it seems like the GPU doesn't work with the HX850 PSU from corsair.
    felicityc
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2021/01/17 23:56:08 (permalink)
    Vizjun990
    EVGATech_DanielM

So in my journey testing this issue I have used the GPU in a different PC build and got no whine. Then I put it back in mine and got the whine again. Then im my PC i changed out my HX850 for a RM850x and it went away, then I got a brand new HX850 (previous HX was also new) and now its back. For me it seems like the GPU doesn't work with the HX850 PSU from corsair.

Apologies for posting on an old thread but I have PRECISELY this issue and the same PSU. Was there any confirmation (if anyone else knows I guess) regarding the HX850 and the 3080, (I don't have the FTW Ultra, just the Black). 

I switched it out for my 1070 for a while and totally forgot this was an issue, swapped the 3080 back in and bam it sounds like there are bees on my neck. 
    Gogod2020
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 272
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3080 FTW Ultra Coil whine/buzzing 2021/01/18 00:49:24 (permalink)
    felicityc
    I switched it out for my 1070 for a while and totally forgot this was an issue, swapped the 3080 back in and bam it sounds like there are bees on my neck.

It may well have to do with how old and used your PSU is some people say you should factor a 10% wearing off of the PSU per year of use depending on how much you used it.

Other people say run a benchmark like superposition for 2-3 hours to see if it makes the noise fade or dissappear. As a "rule" sort of speak, coil whine is associated with "bad" electricity going through the components making them "whine". I would start with a surge protector, move to a new PSU and then check for GPU issues. Ofc to eliminate the GPU right away you would have to install it at another rig and see if the problem persists. You cannot recreate it with 1070 because the electricity needs of 1070 are minuscule in comparison to 3080.

I would also suggest, in case you havent done so already, DO NOT use any daisy chains on your GPU or use the daisy chain cables instead of the core ones. Some people use the daisy part of the cables to avoid the mess in front of the GPU but even if they are "same" in my understanding they re not the primary pcie cable and they shouldn't be used as primary cables.

Intel Core 10700K, Z490 Aorus Elite AC v.1.0, GSkill 32GB 3000/CL14, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair HX1200, Dell S2721DGF, DRP4, Be Quiet SW3 140mm pwm high speed x4, Be Quiet 500DX, Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Samsung SATA 860 Evo 1TB
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile