2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility

Author
Jiberish001
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/28 14:21:45 (permalink)
So yesterday I removed my new 2080's aio and heatsink, and installed my old nzxt kraken, and I'm really happy to be rid of the pump noise.

Yes, maybe I should RMA if it's that bad, but the time and hassle is very unappealing to me when I read so many experiences of getting replacement pumps with the same noise.

My old kraken is dead silent and cools the gpu to the exact same temps. There is a trade off though. The heatsink. I could not get the pump alone from my old kraken to fit with the card's heatsinks intact. I believe it MAY be possible IF I did some serious hardware modding of the kraken bracket, or the heatsinks themselves, but I'm not that guy. So now obviously I'm now working with air cooled temps for memory and power etc, which isn't that bad honestly. I don't foresee it being a problem really. I put some tiny heatsinks on some of the key parts, which double-sided thermal tape, and I'm not seeing anything get much above 70c.

What I am wanting to know; is there a compatible aio replacement for this card that will fit along with the heatsinks that came with it?

The heatsink mounting for the pump, and the pump itself is designed to act as partial cooling for the memory chips, and so the pump sits on a square part around the GPU, while on the gpu itself, and that square part leads to thermal pads attached to the memory chips. Because of this setup the pump's heatsink has a raised square center so that it makes contact with the GPU and that square bit. I know that square copper plate additions for aios are a thing, but it still needs to properly mount onto that square part going to the memory.

What I would really love to find, is an aio replacement that fits with the heatsinks and everything, AND which has a 240 radiator. Getting the cooler temps back onto the memory and vrms and such would be nice, but getting extra cooling for the GPU in the process would actually make it worth the trouble.

Has anyone else replaced their ftw3 ultra hybrid with suggestions or warnings or stories?

ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi), i9-9900K 5.1GHz, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO, 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz, 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming, Corsair RM1000x PSU, More fans than I can use, front intake, cpu&gpu aio top&back exhaust

16 Replies Related Threads

bp7178
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 373
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 07:23:50 (permalink)
    I found a great way to get rid of the AIO pump noise...

I replaced the AIO pump and radiator with an EK VGA waterblock. This is identical to how I ran my Kingpin card. When I had the Kingpin, I didn't have the shroud in place. On the FTW3 I reinstalled the shroud with the factory backplate. The GPU temps are about 5c cooler than when using a full waterblock as you don't have the VRM and memory dumping their heat into your loop. VRM and memory temps will peak around 60c during long gaming sessions but the core will only peak about 38c. I modified part of the VRM heatsink so it wasn't covering the row of memory chips to the right of the EK block, similar to how the VRM heatsink for the Kingping card is. 

So I have a factory new 2080 TI AIO pump and radiator for sale. ;) 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 08:45:47 (permalink)
    Jibberish,

See if you can find a cold plate for your card on Amazon. Avoid any double sided thermal tape, it is permanent and will remove components if you remove it too quick.

BP7178,

If you bought a FTW3 Hybrid, selling the pump/radiator combo is a horrible idea. You will need them if the card ever has any sort of issue that requires RMA. If it was just the hybrid add on, it doesn’t matter, but if it was a full hybrid card, it will 100% require every stock part there is for an RMA to work.
    Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 09:52:33 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Jibberish,

See if you can find a cold plate for your card on Amazon. Avoid any double sided thermal tape, it is permanent and will remove components if you remove it too quick.

BP7178,

If you bought a FTW3 Hybrid, selling the pump/radiator combo is a horrible idea. You will need them if the card ever has any sort of issue that requires RMA. If it was just the hybrid add on, it doesn’t matter, but if it was a full hybrid card, it will 100% require every stock part there is for an RMA to work.

Selling the pump and/or radiator was never in my mind. Not only am I aware of possibly needing them later, but I also would not want to sell such a crappy (loud) system to anyone.

Double sided thermal tape is not permanent. The mini heat sinks I'm using now on this 2080 were being used on my 1080 with the same tape (new, from the same roll). Removing the components and tape slowing (and not yanking it off) is a no-brainer, and any leftover residue comes off easily with alcohol.

ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi), i9-9900K 5.1GHz, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO, 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz, 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming, Corsair RM1000x PSU, More fans than I can use, front intake, cpu&gpu aio top&back exhaust
    Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 09:55:29 (permalink)
    bp7178
    I found a great way to get rid of the AIO pump noise...

I replaced the AIO pump and radiator with an EK VGA waterblock. This is identical to how I ran my Kingpin card. When I had the Kingpin, I didn't have the shroud in place. On the FTW3 I reinstalled the shroud with the factory backplate. The GPU temps are about 5c cooler than when using a full waterblock as you don't have the VRM and memory dumping their heat into your loop. VRM and memory temps will peak around 60c during long gaming sessions but the core will only peak about 38c. I modified part of the VRM heatsink so it wasn't covering the row of memory chips to the right of the EK block, similar to how the VRM heatsink for the Kingping card is.

When you say you modified part of the vrm heatsink, do you mean that you removed part of the heatsink itself? And if that part is not removed, will the waterblock still fit between the two? I do not have the tools to physically alter any part of the heatsinks.

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 11:15:46 (permalink)
    Jiberish001
    So yesterday I removed my new 2080's aio and heatsink, and installed my old nzxt kraken, and I'm really happy to be rid of the pump noise.

Yes, maybe I should RMA if it's that bad, but the time and hassle is very unappealing to me when I read so many experiences of getting replacement pumps with the same noise.

My old kraken is dead silent and cools the gpu to the exact same temps. There is a trade off though. The heatsink. I could not get the pump alone from my old kraken to fit with the card's heatsinks intact. I believe it MAY be possible IF I did some serious hardware modding of the kraken bracket, or the heatsinks themselves, but I'm not that guy. So now obviously I'm now working with air cooled temps for memory and power etc, which isn't that bad honestly. I don't foresee it being a problem really. I put some tiny heatsinks on some of the key parts, which double-sided thermal tape, and I'm not seeing anything get much above 70c.

What I am wanting to know; is there a compatible aio replacement for this card that will fit along with the heatsinks that came with it?

The heatsink mounting for the pump, and the pump itself is designed to act as partial cooling for the memory chips, and so the pump sits on a square part around the GPU, while on the gpu itself, and that square part leads to thermal pads attached to the memory chips. Because of this setup the pump's heatsink has a raised square center so that it makes contact with the GPU and that square bit. I know that square copper plate additions for aios are a thing, but it still needs to properly mount onto that square part going to the memory.

What I would really love to find, is an aio replacement that fits with the heatsinks and everything, AND which has a 240 radiator. Getting the cooler temps back onto the memory and vrms and such would be nice, but getting extra cooling for the GPU in the process would actually make it worth the trouble.

Has anyone else replaced their ftw3 ultra hybrid with suggestions or warnings or stories?

Doesn't the ftw3 ultra hybrid use the same memory cold-plate as the 2080 ti kingpin cold-plate? And if so shouldn't you be able to use the 240mm radiator and pump from the Kingpin as a direct fit without any modding ?
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/03/01 11:28:46

Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 11:45:51 (permalink)
    Honestly I don't know what is being referred to as the "cold-plate." I don't know about the kingpin, but as for the ftw3 ultra hybrid it comes with two heatsinks on either side of the pump, and the pump sits on top of a thin metal part that is underneath a portion of those heatsinks, and touches some of the memory. Because the pump sits on that thin metal part it has to have a raise square part of it's copper heatsink to make contact with the GPU.

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 11:55:12 (permalink)
    Jiberish001
    Honestly I don't know what is being referred to as the "cold-plate." I don't know about the kingpin, but as for the ftw3 ultra hybrid it comes with two heatsinks on either side of the pump, and the pump sits on top of a thin metal part that is underneath a portion of those heatsinks, and touches some of the memory. Because the pump sits on that thin metal part it has to have a raise square part of it's copper heatsink to make contact with the GPU.

Well the kingpin uses a cold-plate to cool the memory that has a square cut out to fit around the AIO pump. It can be seen here

https://forums.evga.com/m..aspx?m=3002608&fp=2

I thought that same plate was used on the ftw3 hybrids

Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 12:34:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, the ftw3 ultra hybrid uses a similar plate, but it's not quite the same. I'd take a pic but I'm not home right now.

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 12:42:35 (permalink)
    Jiberish001
    Yeah, the ftw3 ultra hybrid uses a similar plate, but it's not quite the same. I'd take a pic but I'm not home right now.

I guess what I'm getting at is the kingpin 240mm AIO pump and radiator assembly should bolt right up to the ftw3 hybrid. I would like to see an image of that ftw3 plate though.

Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 12:56:04 (permalink)
    I can show you the plate assembly along with the heatsinks and everything when I get home much later tonight. In about 6-7 hours. I can understand the curiosity, but me personally I wouldn't be interested in using the kingpin's aio. I've read that it has the same noise issues. I don't think it's all their pumps, but I think asetek has supplied evga with some really crappy batches. And I know they can do better. The one I'm using now is obviously an asetek too (because of that whole copyright issue), but this one was supplied to Corsair, and it's dead silent on max.

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 13:01:26 (permalink)
    Yeah I have 3 of the kingpins and I didn't notice any noise at all with them before switching to the water blocks. But they are setup to run max always anyway aren't they?
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/03/01 13:04:21

Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 13:08:05 (permalink)
    Does the pump for the kingpins also not report back rpms? The pump for the ftw3 ultra hybrid doesn't have any monitoring when controlled by the card, and even when plug to a motherboard it does not report it's rpms. The pump I'm using now cools exactly the same, and reports a Max of 1500rpm, but I don't know how fast the ftw3's pump spins.

bp7178
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 373
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 13:08:55 (permalink)
    The Kingpin AIO had was very quiet. I don’t know EVGA was using a different method to control the speed or maybe I just got lucky.

My Hybrid mod was an add-on kit for an air cooled FTW3 Ultra. I’m not too worried about the warranty at this point. I run my stuff in stock configuration for a week or so to make sure it’s working. Anything past that is likely my fault and probably not getting covered.

To mod the heat sink for the VRM I cut maybe a cm or so off of it with a hacksaw, filed it smooth and flat and painted the exposed aluminum. It was a harder aluminum than I was expecting but workable with hand tools.

I don’t know how functionally necessary the memory plate is for the AIO, at least thermally so. On the hybrid cards part of it serves as a mount for the smaller VRM block. Not so on the Kingpin though. I would speculate that it’s just equalizing the heat difference between the memory and GPU as opposed to actually cooling the memory.

But yes, the waterblock will fit without removing any part of the VRM heatsink.
    Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 19:42:57 (permalink)
    The "cold-plate" and heatsinks. (Black piece holds hoses in place)

The heatsinks sit on top of the cold-plate by like half an inch maybe, iirc.

https://imgur.com/a/eRaCQeb

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 19:59:31 (permalink)
    Jiberish001
    the_Scarlet_one
    Jibberish,

BP7178,

Selling the pump and/or radiator was never in my mind. Not only am I aware of possibly needing them later, but I also would not want to sell such a crappy (loud) system to anyone..

Never said you were, which is why that message was directed at BP7178, who said they had theirs for sale.

As for the thermal tape, what tape did you use. You would think it is obvious not to force the parts apart, but numerous people have come here asking for help after damaging their components, so it’s safe to say that it isn’t obvious to everyone.
    Jiberish001
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid aio replacement compatibility 2020/03/01 20:26:13 (permalink)
    It is HPFIX thermal adhesive tape.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile