2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install

Author
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 27
2018/12/10 09:28:38 (permalink)
These different messages about the gpu bracket for the 2080ti ftw3 hydro copper blocks makes no sense to me, several people say black side up others say black side down. Should be clarified as to the black side of the gpu bracket away from or towards the pcb.  Here was my experience, i installed 2 hydro copper blocks on 2 2080ti ftw3's and used the stock thermal pads that were on the block and i had the black side of the gpu bracket towards the pcb just as the directions showed, just seemed like common sense to me that the black padded side would go towards the pcb because of the circuitry that is there. I started up my sytem with no problems at all doing this way and my temps were fine good enough to get me to spot 22 in the hof time spy extreme statistics. Now after reading several of the posts where people said they were having heat issues this way they turned the gpu bracket over so the metal side was towards the pcb and circuitry and the padded black side was towards the water block. I decided just for kicks and giggles to teat down my system and turn the gpu bracket over so the metal side was towards the pcb circuitry. Now looking at this before and after there is no difference to what this could possible make as far as heat transfer because the water block does not even touch the gpu bracket which ever way its facing. I went ahead and put my system back together with the metal sides toward the pcb and my computer would not come on, or shall i say the monitor would not come on. I tried several times, unplugged the monitor, unplugged the power supply, held the power button 30 seconds retried nothing, nothing, nothing for the display. So i thought well the only thing i changed was the gpu bracket. So i drained the system and removed 1 card and then refilled the system and tried to boot twice and the display would still not come on, i removed that single card and put the other one back in and the same thing tried it twice and the display would not work. So i then pulled it out and put in a gtx 1060 and the system booted up fine and display was fine. So that pretty much told me it was a video card issue.  I took both 2080ti ftw3's apart and turned the gpu brackets back over the way they originally were with the black padded side towards the pcb reinstalled them filled the system with water booted the system and the first try everything was fine, boot up fine and display working fine. So my experience is leave the padded black side towards the pcb and circuitry like the directions show, cause like i said the waterblock doesnt even touch the gpu bracket in either direction if it did we would need thermal pads or paste on the gpu bracket as well. If the waterblock doesn't touch the gpu bracket how can making it one way or the other make any difference as far as temps, to me it can't. Why would you put a padded side towards the waterblock where there is no contact? why would you put a metal side towards the pcb and circuitry? Why would they put a padded side on the gpu bracket if they didn't want it to protect something?

23 Replies Related Threads

darkkterror
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/10 09:50:06 (permalink)
    For me, I originally installed the bracket with the black side facing the PCB. That did make the most sense to me. However, my temperatures were terrible. The GPU was hitting 80C looping Heaven benchmark.

I flipped the GPU bracket around so that the black side was facing the waterblock. I had no issue with the card working after I did this. It started up just fine. There doesn't appear to be any exposed traces or surface components on the PCB where the bracket sits.

Flipping the bracket around lowered my GPU temps by 30C. On the silver side of my bracket there are raised edges around the screw holes. If this side is facing the PCB then those raised edges go into the holes in the PCB no problem. If those raised edges are facing up then my theory is they press against the waterblock preventing it from making full contact with the GPU die leading to my initial temperature issuesq. I'll provide a picture of what I mean.

jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1151
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/10 10:03:55 (permalink)
    If the bracket never touches the heat sync, what is the bracket for. It literally serves no purpose if that's the case.

I think the confusion lies in the fact there is a black side. When I looked at the bracket, I see a flat side and a side with 4 bumps that the screws thread into.

Those 4 bumps, if I remember correctly fit into the PCB board holes. Preventing the bracket from sliding around possibly shorting things out.

Now my guess is that its possible that some brackets have the wrong side black.

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/10 10:22:08 (permalink)
    Thats right what is the purpose of the gpu bracket if it does not touch, but after looking very close during install you can see that it sits below the edge of the die which means the waterblock should not touch it. And for darkkterror post, i know what your saying as well, however while i was doing all of this messing around changing the gpu bracket so the pegs go into the pcb instead of pointing up does in fact make it seem like the bracket would be even lower still but then if thats also the case you have made it even more likely that the gpu bracket will not touch the block. Also i looked at this closely that when you turn the gpu bracket so the metal is toward the pcb that does not change the length of the screws and then they just stick out of the gpu bracket up towards the waterblock instead of being flush with it when its the opposite direction but it doesn't matter because there is no contact.
    post edited by dwexpress - 2018/12/10 12:13:59

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/10 10:32:37 (permalink)
    These are images of the contact pattern of my 2080 ti ftw3 with the hydro copper block installed exactly as the directions say with the gpu bracket installed with the black padded side towards the pcb and using the evga factory thermal strips, everything has made contact where it should and the cards work fine.
    post edited by dwexpress - 2018/12/10 15:24:25

Attached Image(s)

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/10 15:12:34 (permalink)
    Who should look at another issue with the install? If your talking about me i don't have an issue when everything is installed as directed with the directions both cards work fine, if the gpu bracket was flipped over so the metal side was towards the pcb neither card would work, when i switched them both back to the black padded side towards the pcb again they both started working again, seems to me the metal side towards the pcb circuitry was creating a short. 
    post edited by dwexpress - 2018/12/10 15:23:39

jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1151
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/10 15:25:31 (permalink)
    If the bracket direction does not matter cause either way it does not touch the block.

Why would anyone bother looking for another solution when simply flipping the block worked for at least 4 people.

I have mine the same way and my GPU temp in BFV are 42c on a 3440x1440 screen in ultra settings. I certainly have no plans to drain my loop when everything running beautifully.

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

TahoeDust
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 330
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/10 17:11:09 (permalink)
    jinihammerer
    I think the confusion lies in the fact there is a black side. When I looked at the bracket, I see a flat side and a side with 4 bumps that the screws thread into.

Those 4 bumps, if I remember correctly fit into the PCB board holes. 

I thought the exact same thing and installed mine with the 4 bumps down into the pcb board holes.  Having those 4 bumps pushing against that shiny waterblock makes no sense.

I have had no problem with the functionality of my card and my temps have been probably the best I have seen.
    pestilent
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/16 21:25:01 (permalink)
    I found this thread trying to fix an issue I was having.
    I just installed a Hydro Copper on a 2080 TI XC. When I was done, I booted up my PC and I had nothing on my monitors. It was like my video card was dead. Not even the LED on the waterblock was working.
    I had put that bracket with the metal side toward the PCB. After reading dwexpress' post, I tore my card down and put the bracket with the black side towards the PCB and it works now.
    Apparently, there is something on the pcb that the bracket is shorting out, if the metal side is touching.
    bee144
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/17 02:51:44 (permalink)
    This is interesting. I had the same issues with the GPU bracket. I had to put the metal side facing the PCB in order to get safe temps.

The fact that some are having this issue and others aren't tells me there are variances between the blocks or PCBs and EVGA is ignoring it.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/18 05:50:20 (permalink)
    I am wondering if the tightness of the screws is making a difference, it seems to me with the metal side of the bracket  towards the pcb and the circuitry there if it really gets tight it could be shorting out and if the screws are not so tight might not be enough pressure to cause the short. The black padded side towards the pcb it doesn't matter how tight there shouldn't be the possibility of a short. Glad my post helped you @pestilent. 

Cigs (reddit)
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/18 06:18:59 (permalink)
    Fwiw I installed mine with the black side towards the PCB and my temps are great. After a few hours of BFV I'm at around 47C max with 2100mhz sustained on core and +500mhz on memory.
    pestilent
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/18 16:00:48 (permalink)
    I thought the same about how tight people are tightening the screws. I tightened the crap out of all the screws on my card, since the bracket is there to support and stiffen the PCB and the waterblock isn't being held on with the spring screws.
    I ran my card on air for about a week to make sure I had a non artifacting card. I got the core clock at +115 and the memory at +950. Fire strike ultra would crash right away if I went much higher. With that OC on water, I'm getting 42C running Time Spy extreme stress test. Now that I have the card on water, I'll have to see if I can get any higher on the OC and I'll run Unigine or Kombuster for a couple hours to see where my temps will max out at.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 02:19:52 (permalink)
    Yeah and for the people who think there isn't any circuitry where the GPU bracket goes are not looking close enough, there is in fact circuits there that are coated but could be damaged.

badboy64
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 921
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 10:32:44 (permalink)
    I may get waterblock setup installed this weekend but the holidays have me busy though. I just have to figure out how to drain this since I didn't put on a drain port. My first watercooling system in about 10 years when my first one the pump died after a week and nearly killed my processor as it was brown around the socket but it ended up OK. I can play games at 145mhz core and 800mhz memory on aircooling and temps are around 64C core and memory hits around 76C but can bench at 165mhz core and 1000mhz memory for benchmarks. Much better than my first card which only does 95mhz core and 500mhz memory when gaming and 104mhz core and 900mhz memory for benches. The VF curve tuner goes to 182mhz core.
    post edited by badboy64 - 2018/12/19 11:25:11

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
    Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
    https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
    4STAR
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 13:00:16 (permalink)
    I’m trying to figure out what your guys are talking about. The manual page isnt working. I don’t own this product yet, but I’m trying troubleshoot before I potentially buy. 

Would you owners buy this product again ?
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 13:39:52 (permalink)
    4STAR
    I’m trying to figure out what your guys are talking about. The manual page isnt working. I don’t own this product yet, but I’m trying troubleshoot before I potentially buy. 

See The EVGA HC Waterblock Manual for EVGA GeForce RTX (For Reference Only) (Non-FTW3)  Items 2 & 3

Yes and I have 2 of the EVGA Hydro Copper Water Blocks now.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/12/19 13:42:39

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bee144
    iCX Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 13:49:32 (permalink)
    4STAR

I had the most difficulty of anyone on this thread. It was way harder to install than previous EKWB blocks I’ve done.

I wanted the custom PCB and this is one of the only custom PCB cards that has a water block. No, I wouldn’t buy it again but I don’t think I buy anything else so I guess I would have to buy it again because it’s a unique product.

Maybe their Hybrid kit will be better produced?
    4STAR
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 14:49:18 (permalink)
    bee144
    4STAR

I had the most difficulty of anyone on this thread. It was way harder to install than previous EKWB blocks I’ve done.

I wanted the custom PCB and this is one of the only custom PCB cards that has a water block. No, I wouldn’t buy it again but I don’t think I buy anything else so I guess I would have to buy it again because it’s a unique product.

Man, even in hindsight you wouldn't buy it again ? Knowing what you know now, what would of made it easier for you to install ?

Its available again now and I may just end up getting it because it might be to much of a hassle to sell it (ftw3) and get another card to get the block I want.
    bee144
    iCX Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 15:22:34 (permalink)
    4STAR
    bee144
    4STAR

Man, even in hindsight you wouldn't buy it again ? Knowing what you know now, what would of made it easier for you to install ?

Its available again now and I may just end up getting it because it might be to much of a hassle to sell it (ftw3) and get another card to get the block I want.
    there are more people who had no issues than those who did. I was one who had issues. EVGA support is good at processing RMAs and nothing else. The frustrating part of the experience was working with them.

If you do get it, you can always post on here and the community is pretty supportive. They helped me.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2018/12/19 15:43:24 (permalink)
    I have 2 of them and would use them again, they work great, follow directions and you'll be fine.

jdnorup
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2019/01/03 18:11:40 (permalink)
    First of all this is my first GPU water cooling I have attempted to carry out, so in no way I am qualified but this is how I will be installing and hopefully it works out.

I have read somewhere a message by EVGA themselves that the GPU Bracket the black insulated side needs to face down towards the PCB to avoid shorting as there is circuits there and to install those 4 black washers on the other side of the PCB board to stop the 4 bolts hitting the board

I tested the bracket with a multi meter for continuity on the black side and it does not have continuity which indicates it's meant to stop pcb shortage. The silver side raised sections I have measured the height to confirm that it has clearance from the water block (It has plenty of clearance so it will not hold the block up off the GPU

Other people have indicated they have had temperature issues with the black side down and others with the black side up. I assume the thickness of the GPU brackets are all the same size so I do not see how people may of had temperature issues with the black side down as mine has plenty of clearance from the waterblock. As far as I can work out it is no point for EVGA to make a insulated black side if it can be fitted either side, so I am assuming the black side must be installed towards to PCB to avoid shortage.

It will be a few weeks before I have the whole custom loop setup and tested but I will let people know how my temperatures work out.

Thanks
    Jamie

thekro1990
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2019/02/16 13:38:33 (permalink)
    Correct me if im wrong and sorry for reviving an old thread here. But does the Black side not peel away and then get stuck with the washers onto the PCB?

Mine come slightly peeled up and i figured thats the way it had to go.
    jdnorup
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Hydro Copper GPU Bracket Install 2019/02/17 20:36:23 (permalink)
    Hi guys

I finally got my custom water loop setup, I installed the GPU Bracket with the black side facing the PCB. My computer has been running now for a week or so and the GPU Temps are not going above 45 degrees Celsius under load. I play BF5 rtx turned on all max settings and it does not go above 45 degrees and at idle stays around 30 degrees with house temperature at 28 degrees.

I did not peel off the black coating as I have read somewhere people may have. I left it on as it prevents it from earthing out the PCB board. To recap I tested with a multimeter and it does not have continuity on the black side which indicates to me it is to prevent shortage to the board.

Thanks
    Jamie

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile