EVGA

2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal paste?

Author
sn0warmy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 218
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2019/03/21 18:03:32 (permalink)
My Hybrid AIO kit arrived today and I took the time to get it installed. Everything went off without a hitch. However, as I'm thinking back about one part of the install, I'm nervous I may have screwed up.

During the process of cleaning the old thermal paste off the GPU core, I also cleaned the thermal paste off of the small capacitors that immediately surround the GPU core. So, to help visualize, initially the capacitors immediately around the GPU core had some thermal paste on them that looked like this:

When I was done cleaning, it looked like this:

The capacitors on mine still had slightly more thermal paste than what you see in the picture directly above. But definitely a lot less than the first picture I posted. Just like the first picture above, not all of the capacitors had thermal paste on them but most did. So I'm not sure if this was intentional or just overflow from the GPU core thermal paste.

Regardless, I'm wondering if I should have left the thermal paste on the capacitors in-tact. Otherwise, I'm hoping the thermal paste that came pre-applied to the new GPU cooler/pump will make its way down to the capacitors for cooling. 

I'm hoping someone with some insight can chime in on this. I'm not opposed to going back in and re-applying thermal paste on those capacitors but I'd really like to avoid it if I'm just overthinking this whole thing. 

On another note, the card seems to be performing perfectly fine. Temps with the new AIO are fantastic. After 25 minutes of Heaven Benchmark running with extreme settings, the GPU core never exceeded 55C and MEM2 & MEM 3 never exceeded 60C. This is all 10-15C cooler than how the card performed with the stock triple fan cooler. .  

8 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/21 18:07:48 (permalink)
    No, and the Thermal Paste should Only go on the GPU Die.
    And Heat Sink if you do both side, I do myself using TF8 or MX-4
    You can break them if you wipe them to hard or use a Q-Tip so be very carful when cleaning off the Old Thermal Paste.

PS Remember to Complete the Elite Signup.
    https://www.evga.com/member/elite/
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/21 18:14:10

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/21 18:44:43 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    No, and the Thermal Paste should Only go on the GPU Die.
    And Heat Sink if you do both side, I do myself using TF8 or MX-4
    You can break them if you wipe them to hard or use a Q-Tip so be very carful when cleaning off the Old Thermal Paste.

PS Remember to Complete the Elite Signup.
    https://www.evga.com/member/elite/

Whew! good to know. I gently slid the edge of a folded paper towel, soaked in some Isopropyl alcohol, in the areas between the GPU die and those capacitors, but didn't physically apply any pressure to the top or side of any of the capacitors. The alcohol worked its way onto and between those capacitors to clean them off.  

Also, thanks for the heads up about the Elite Membership. Just enrolled. 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/21 18:51:32 (permalink)
    Elite

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/21 21:00:09 (permalink)
    In the future, grab a super cheap toothbrush.. extremely effective at removing the thermal paste around the die, yet gentle enough it won’t damage anything.

Doesn’t take force to use either. Just gentle scrub, removes all the thermal plaque... I mean.. paste.
    sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/21 21:01:42 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    In the future, grab a super cheap toothbrush.. extremely effective at removing the thermal paste around the die, yet gentle enough it won’t damage anything.

Doesn’t take force to use either. Just gentle scrub, removes all the thermal plaque... I mean.. paste.

Solid advice. I'm going to remember this. Thanks!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/21 21:32:21 (permalink)
    Getting non conductive thermal paste of them won't hurt a thing.
    jab383
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/22 06:15:47 (permalink)
    Expect the new thermal paste to squish out around the GPU like the old paste shown in the first picture.  This is a good thing because the cooler and GPU are then in proper contact.  As Sajin says, NON-CONDUCTIVE paste is harmless.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 - Do the capacitors immediately surrounding the GPU core need thermal pas 2019/03/22 06:26:36 (permalink)
    The overflow of TIM indicates that enough was used to cover the entire GPU - Die (chip)

Using too little or not having coverage distributed across the Entire Die would be an Issue

On a GPU (unlike a CPU) that is not a Heat spreader it is the Die 

You want enough TIM to cover all of the GPU, the slight amount of excess TIM squishes out as seen in your OP

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile