2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts

Author
azpen30
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2019/01/26 22:17:58 (permalink)
So I have had the kit installed now for a few days... I got lucky and the pump isn’t has loud as some have experienced but I was disappointed by three things.

1. The instructions are luck luster and leave steps out and that do not make sense like wrap the fan cable around the pump when it’s not long enough... parts like the two slot bracket being included when it’s not, part bags miss labeled or not all, where was the simple quality control on these.

2. The fan only seems to have a three step curve , 0%, 50% and full blast and is quite noisy .... that said any suggestions on replacements that moves the same amount of air with less noise.

3. Minus the first two point the kits thermals are good after completing the install. 25 at idle and 55 at full load with a 2160 mhz clock on the card. So cooler but noise is almost has bad as the fans on the standard cooler.

So in conclusion, still a good product but the execution of some simple items and lack of quality control will be a frustrating to some at a price of 179 dollars especially when that buys a 360mm CPU AIO with some change

8770k 5.1 ghz 1.32v  H-150i cooler | Hero X 370 | 32GB Dominance 3200 | 250 Gb 980  SSD | 600 GB intel SSD  | Crucial M4 256GB SSD | 4TB WD black | 2080TI FTW 3| 1000w Corsair | Acer x34  | Corsair 800D|    

24 Replies Related Threads

_JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 652
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/01/27 03:27:51 (permalink)
    Hello,

I will be emailing you shortly. 

Everything is security. 
    dmhlee
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/01/27 04:24:13 (permalink)
    Is the AIO pump speed controllable using Precision X1?
    rchiwawa
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/01/27 08:06:21 (permalink)
    Nope
    surfnet
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/01/27 08:53:21 (permalink)
    I have to agree. I have 2 kits, one for each 2080TI and had same issues.
    I fought with that cable that says go around that pump on both. Finally got them connected but its just not right. Needs to be a hair longer.

Also wondered why the did not label screws since they are labeled with other information.

And on one of my installs  a screw went thru a cable. Now my LEDs on shroud does not work on one.  :-(

Please make all cables a hair longer.

post edited by surfnet - 2019/01/27 08:56:00
    azpen30
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/01/27 14:01:27 (permalink)
    dmhlee
    Is the AIO pump speed controllable using Precision X1?

I do not know, I cant get X1 to work at all right now.... have completely uninstalled and reinstalled and no luck with that software at all..
    post edited by azpen30 - 2019/01/27 14:11:36

8770k 5.1 ghz 1.32v  H-150i cooler | Hero X 370 | 32GB Dominance 3200 | 250 Gb 980  SSD | 600 GB intel SSD  | Crucial M4 256GB SSD | 4TB WD black | 2080TI FTW 3| 1000w Corsair | Acer x34  | Corsair 800D|    

rchiwawa
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/01/27 15:17:48 (permalink)
    I wrote a review Thursday on B&H for the Hybrid kit and referenced several install problems like the leads on my block not being as shown in the manual and how it was patently obvious that there was not enough length to do the counter clockwise wrap for the fan connector.  Also how the explicit instruction to only install one screw into the heatsink fan section for the VRMs on my particular card did not allow me to slide the internally thread posts that were not fastened through the PCB and since there was no reason not to go ahead with it I suggesting doing as much lest there be strain on the card, the HSF, a misalignment problem if it pops out, etc. 

I can't say I am particularly impressed with the overall quality of the instructions but they were not awful if you read through before getting to the installation process, compare what you had in hand to whats pictured, and did a dry fit up with tape and covers on before actually getting to it.  To me, what screw was what (etc)when reference was pretty obvious and was to any one installing who should be executing said process but for clarity's sake, it does seem a curious omission on their part and sounds like a continuing theme with their products.  It wasn't the ****-show reading pascal card hybrid kit installs had me worried it could be, not nearly.  For the money, I am shocked at how noisy it is, brutally effective, but noisy. A little bit of foam rubber between the rad and the case went a long way toward mitigating that problem but to be blunt it is disappointing and will have me just doing a custom loop next build.  EVGA only if nvidia is the chipset provider of choice at that time because the quirks are well worth the no quibble, fast, and 24 hour service.
    JDauwalter
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 181
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/01 01:24:33 (permalink)
    azpen30
    So I have had the kit installed now for a few days... I got lucky and the pump isn’t has loud as some have experienced but I was disappointed by three things.

1. The instructions are luck luster and leave steps out and that do not make sense like wrap the fan cable around the pump when it’s not long enough... parts like the two slot bracket being included when it’s not, part bags miss labeled or not all, where was the simple quality control on these.

2. The fan only seems to have a three step curve , 0%, 50% and full blast and is quite noisy .... that said any suggestions on replacements that moves the same amount of air with less noise.

3. Minus the first two point the kits thermals are good after completing the install. 25 at idle and 55 at full load with a 2160 mhz clock on the card. So cooler but noise is almost has bad as the fans on the standard cooler.

So in conclusion, still a good product but the execution of some simple items and lack of quality control will be a frustrating to some at a price of 179 dollars especially when that buys a 360mm CPU AIO with some change

Did you get the 2 slot bracket installed? My temps aren't so great(hitting 67ish on load), but I have the 3 slot bracket installed. I assumed the 3 slot bracket, with its small amount of holes, were blocking heat from exiting the back of the card, but that's only an assumption. They are sending me a 2 slot bracket, so I'm hoping that helps with the heat dissipation. 
    Mcwrah
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 245
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/01 16:30:15 (permalink)
    azpen30

Hows the memory temp as well if I may ask? I have some terrible memory temps when OCED +1000mhz (stable, 85-89C) while gpu core is all fine (65C)
    Nealx01
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/01 21:01:35 (permalink)
    My screws and all small parts were labeled. I put my kit together tonite havent put it into the rig yet. I DID NOT receive the 2 slot shroud. I spoke with Jacob on twitter and he said it should be included. I had already emailed customer service before speaking to him. No reply yet but its past business hours on a friday. I thought the directions were pretty subpar also. The cable wasnt long enough that was refrenced by the OP. EVGA needs to update their HOW TO video that was made for the 900 series. Alot has changed since then, pretty disheartening to rely on poor directions to modify a 1500$ electronic component.

I will say I was really impressed with the build quality of the card STOCK, but am a little unimpressed with this kit so far based purely on asthetics. The plastic looks kinda cheap, reviews are saying its loud (which i dont care too much about) if the cooling is drastically better than i wont care at all. cant help but wonder if installing it was a mistake. Live and learn.
    post edited by Nealx01 - 2019/02/01 21:08:35

JJamison
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/02 07:04:20 (permalink)
    My experience is the same, the instructions need updating, and EVGA desperately needs to change pump vendors, my Corsair and Cooler Master cooler pumps are dead silent. There is no reason that EVGA can't fix this. The moment another brand 2080 cooler kit comes on the market I'm switching this whining pump system out. Otherwise it works and cools like a champ and for that purpose it excels.
    dalten22
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/02 20:43:53 (permalink)
    Some thoughts, I got my 2080 TI Hybrid kit today and installed it on my XC Black Edition. 

1.  The picture they show about wrapping the cable counter clockwise is actually the Fan cable that is supposed to go out between the water tubes, and wrapping it that way just doesn't work.  The other cable was an inch or so too short.  I think the person making the instructions just made a mistake and got the the cables confused. 

2.  My kit didn't include any #8 M2x4mm screws.  There was a bag with exactly 2 screws but they were labeled M2x5 and one screw worked in place of a M2x4 but Iwasn't able to use the second screw to secure the shroud.  I ended up using one of the screws I had removed from the back plate in step 1 and that seems to work well. 

3.  One of the tiny wires on the shroud wasn't connected.  The thing lights up anyway, but the unconnected wire actually looks a little damaged so I think it's not supposed to be that way.  I don't think I damaged it, I babied this thing to kingdom come.  Did anyone else notice a disconnected wire? 

Nealx01
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/03 09:49:50 (permalink)
    No i did not have any loose or disconnected wires that were not intended to be that way. You may need to resolder it into place, or return for another. Even tho that seems like a pretty major pain in the ass for something that tou said wasnt actually causing any issues. Either way it isnt supposed to be like that. Probably a poor solder job at manufacture that came loose(disconnected) in shipping.

My support email was replied to today and they said they will send out a 2slot bracket. Good customer support as expected. If you contact them you will get help more than likely. Im just not sure i would want to uninstall and reinstall the fans and then ship the kit back for something you said wasnt a problem. Thats me tho. Kits have a 1 year warranty, and the cards longer. So any bigger issue and you should be fine for a while

twatllama
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/04 08:38:32 (permalink)
    I was also missing a 2-slot shroud, I'll be emailing EVGA shortly to get one sent.

As for the install, yes the cables are too small to wrap around per the instructions, but come on, this is for DIY enthusiasts. If some simple cable management is going to stunt you in your tracks, you probably should have gone with the XC pre-built Hybrid card. I did a few cable ties here and there to ensure fan had full clearance and was good to go.

I also didn't follow instructions on where to plug in the pump/fan headers, because I wanted full control over this in XP1. Unlike typical AIO coolers that want the entire 12V charge, the EVGA AIO can differentiate on flow speed based on voltage control from XP1, and thus run as loud or as quiet as you want. I set a very aggressive curve beyond 50C and get near silence at idle or low-GPU tasks, and get a stable 51C (32C above RT) when running the GPU at full blast at 2025mHz @ 16gHz effective memory. I am still tinkering with stable overclocks, so I don't even know the full power of this beast of a card yet.

Ensure that you use a very good thermal paste, I went with ThermalGrizzly's Kryonaut and will probably never look back (unless I want to go full psychopath on my next card with some 73W/mk Conductonaut). I used to laugh back in the 00's that any thermal paste will do, and boy did this German company prove me wrong. I've seen 10C+ degree differences.

As a final note, instructions were very low res for what they were trying to accomplish, even the downloadable PDFs. I ultimately figured it out, but it did turn an hour-long project into a 4-hour one due to trial and error.
    MrEWhite
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/04 15:59:59 (permalink)
    My pump is loud as hell and I didn’t get the two slot shroud :(
    markovian
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/05 07:29:29 (permalink)
    My pump is also really loud and I didn’t get the two slot shroud either. I tried waggling the radiator, it's not bubbles. I really wish EVGA would add the option to set the pump to 80% or 90% in X1 to manage this noise.
    twatllama
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/05 07:56:44 (permalink)
    markovian
    My pump is also really loud and I didn’t get the two slot shroud either. I tried waggling the radiator, it's not bubbles. I really wish EVGA would add the option to set the pump to 80% or 90% in X1 to manage this noise.

As I wrote above, I have full control of the pump flow speed and fans using X1.
    billyash04
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/05 09:44:52 (permalink)
    Are you able to show a screenshot of how you can control the pump speed via X1?

twatllama
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/05 11:11:42 (permalink)
    billyash04
    Are you able to show a screenshot of how you can control the pump speed via X1?

When plugging in the pump and fan onto the cards 3 headers you control them as you would any fan header through the circled area on the main page of X1. You can set them to 12V (100%) or less. The arrow is where you can click twice to get to fan profiles, in which you can set your fan curves on both the pump and VRM cooling fan.

For me, my Fan1 controls my pump (note I did not install per instructions) and Fan2 controls the VRM fan. The pump control is shared with the included heatsink fan. If you unplug the heatsink fan and adjust fan speed, you will hear your pump rev up with your inputs.

shaffin1
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/05 17:59:38 (permalink)
    I just installed my 2080 TI FTW3 hybrid kit as well. I am noticing temps in the mid 60's C under load with ambient temps around 25c. I did not get the 2 slot bracket either and I ordered directly from EVGA.com. The pump power cable is far too short as others have mentioned to wrap it around counter clockwise and plug it in. The instructions left out a major piece in that you need to remove the PCB plate that sits on top of the actual board...(may have the wrong terminology). The pictures and instructions say to undo the screws to the backplate then take off the heat sink and fan. Well, I did that but obviously you also need to remove the plate that the heatsink sits on so that the screws can go all the way through the board to screw in the baseplates. I also found the part#s for the spring screws was wrong. Either the instructions are wrong or my label was wrong. I only had the one bag of spring screws. My EVGA fan on the radiator is very noisy and vibrates a ton. I swapped it out with a Corsair SP120 high static fan instead and much quieter. The EVGA fan goes up to 3k RPM and my corsair only goes up to 1500RPM so not sure if that is the reason for the temps I am seeing. My corsair fan also is only 3 pin so its constantly at full speed no matter what which I don't mind. I rather the noisy VRM fan adjusts based on temps anyways. 
    m0ngaloid
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/11 06:23:12 (permalink)
    One of the Led cables was broken on mine as well, labeled SC. My Led lights up white but I can not get RGB to work. I have submitted a ticket.
    JDauwalter
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 181
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/11 21:00:43 (permalink)
    Well, I got my 2 slot bracket and installed it. Didn't change anything temp wise, it seems, but I'm happy either way.

I threw a Corsair HD120 on there instead of the EVGA and my temps shot all the way up to 73C at 100% fan speed! And, it was louder!
    So, I put the EVGA fan back on, and originally forgot to change the Corsair LL120 fan I have on the front of the radiator to affix to GPU temps. It was still on system temps.
    After installing, and changing the LL fan to GPU temps, I'm getting 64C after some intense gaming, so I'm happy with this. Super quiet, too.

Topless_Stang
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2019/02/15 15:06:59 (permalink)
    Considering the price my temps really didn’t change much over stock and it’s only a touch quieter. The fact that you can’t control the pump is laughable. This is my first kit and overall I’m unimpressed...even the instructions were a mess. If you’re on the fence I say steer clear, it’s just not worth it.
    post edited by Topless_Stang - 2019/02/15 15:23:12

NereusHixon
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2020/06/11 10:22:44 (permalink)
    Hi,

Could you please let me know where exactly on the PCB did you connect the pump and the VRM fan ? I connected it as per the instructions (which I understand you did you follow it), and I can see only fan1 in X1.

Thanks.

NereusHixon
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW 3 hybrid kit thoughts 2020/06/11 11:03:14 (permalink)
    twatllama
    I was also missing a 2-slot shroud, I'll be emailing EVGA shortly to get one sent.

As for the install, yes the cables are too small to wrap around per the instructions, but come on, this is for DIY enthusiasts. If some simple cable management is going to stunt you in your tracks, you probably should have gone with the XC pre-built Hybrid card. I did a few cable ties here and there to ensure fan had full clearance and was good to go.

I also didn't follow instructions on where to plug in the pump/fan headers, because I wanted full control over this in XP1. Unlike typical AIO coolers that want the entire 12V charge, the EVGA AIO can differentiate on flow speed based on voltage control from XP1, and thus run as loud or as quiet as you want. I set a very aggressive curve beyond 50C and get near silence at idle or low-GPU tasks, and get a stable 51C (32C above RT) when running the GPU at full blast at 2025mHz @ 16gHz effective memory. I am still tinkering with stable overclocks, so I don't even know the full power of this beast of a card yet.

Ensure that you use a very good thermal paste, I went with ThermalGrizzly's Kryonaut and will probably never look back (unless I want to go full psychopath on my next card with some 73W/mk Conductonaut). I used to laugh back in the 00's that any thermal paste will do, and boy did this German company prove me wrong. I've seen 10C+ degree differences.

As a final note, instructions were very low res for what they were trying to accomplish, even the downloadable PDFs. I ultimately figured it out, but it did turn an hour-long project into a 4-hour one due to trial and error.

Hi,

Could you please let me know where exactly on the PCB did you connect the pump and the VRM fan ? I connected it as per the instructions (which I understand you did you follow it), and I can see only fan1 in X1.

Thanks.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile