Author
Stenna85
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/06/04 23:38:54 (permalink)
Hi,

Please help

I am a novice when it comes to PC building (built my first one 6 months ago)

since building it I have been slowly upgrading components.

My final upgrade was my GPU this last night and now I fear I have damaged my PC.

My PC was working fine until I swapped my GPU. I now do not have any signal going to the screen nor do my usb outlets work so my keyboard and mouse don’t seem to come on.

pc specs:
MB- MSI MPG X570 gaming pro carbon WiFi.
CPU- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (upgraded a month ago)
PSU- Corsair RM 850x
RAM- 2 x 16GB vengeance pro
Old GPU was- AMD Radeon rx 5700 xt and was swapped out for EVGA nvdia rtx 2080 ti ftw3 ultra
Keyboard- razer huntsman elite
Mouse- razer
Monitor- MSI

the pc was working fine. I unplugged everything, used an anti static band. Changed the GPU (put it in the 1st slot as stated) and now there’s no signal to monitor nor do I have power to mouse or keyboard. Fans run on system, RGB comes on, one fan runs on GPU, PSU fan starts but then stops running but I guess that’s because the PC is idle.

things I’ve tried.

old GPU, fans run but still no signal.
different monitor
Using hdmi cable directly from MB
Checked PCIe cables
No error light on MB
VGA and hdmi cable from GPU
Taken bios battery out
Checked all connections

ive tried everything I can think of except for taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together again. There are no error LEDs coming up on the MOBO either.

All the lighting and the one fan is working but I get no signal to my monitor. I’ve tried plugging the DisplayPort cable in to all slots and none of them will display to my monitor.

I have 2 - 8 Pin connectors plugged in and my PSU is 850w. When I power the system up the fan seems to come in the PSU then stops, not sure if that’s because it’s not hot?

Any and all help would be massively appreciated

7 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: 2080 Ti install now my computer won’t work. No signal 2020/06/05 01:05:52 (permalink)
    Just a few things here.

You can't use an HDMI cable from the mobo for video because a Ryzen 9 3900X doesn't have integrated graphics built into it.

At low and medium loads the Corsair RM 850x cooling fan switches off entirely for silent operation.

When you take the 'BIOS battery' out to clear CMOS, the PSU has to be turned off or unplugged, and you should do that too when using the Clear CMOS jumper (JBAT1).

The mobo BIOS may need updated..I see there's one for "Improved PCI-E device compatibility"..See: Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button on page 47 of your mobo manual..This is a great feature because you only need power to the mobo, nothing else!..Do this first.

Take out the 2080 Ti and see if it boots/passes POST.

Try the 2080 Ti in another compatible PC or take it to a PC shop for testing and find out if it works.

Disassembling/reassembling everything, and I do mean everything, has been known to strangely fix problems before.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Stenna85
    Re: 2080 Ti install now my computer won’t work. No signal 2020/06/05 01:20:39 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Just a few things here.

You can't use an HDMI cable from the mobo for video because a Ryzen 9 3900X doesn't have integrated graphics built into it.

At low and medium loads the Corsair RM 850x cooling fan switches off entirely for silent operation.

When you take the 'BIOS battery' out to clear CMOS, the PSU has to be turned off or unplugged, and you should do that too when using the Clear CMOS jumper (JBAT1).

The mobo may need updated..I see there's one for "Improved PCI-E device compatibility"..See: Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button on page 47 of your ..This is a great feature because you only need power to the mobo, nothing else!..Do this first.

Take out the 2080 Ti and see if it boots/passes POST.

Try the 2080 Ti in another compatible PC or take it to a PC shop for testing and find out if it works.

Disassembling/reassembling everything, and I do mean everything, has been known to strangely fix problems before.

Thank you for your reply. I am a complete novice to this and I’m embarrassed to say that some of what you have said has gone straight over my head. I will reply to each paragraph.

I literally just figured out about the new CPU not having an integrated video card. My previous Ryzen did have but I’ve sold it since.

That’s good news about the PSU as my oldest components on this PC were bought brand new last November.

How long should I take the BIOs batter out for? I do not know what the CMOS jumper is?

The mobo may need updated..I see there's one for "Improved PCI-E device compatibility"..See: Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button on page 47 of your ..This is a great feature because you only need power to the mobo, nothing else!..Do this first.

This went straight over my head. Sorry.

What does it mean to boot/past post?

I can ask a friend to try the new GPU but when I put the old one in it did not work either. The old GPU’s fans were going but no signal to monitor. I tried two different monitors.

I will try to disassemble and put back together as a last resort. I have checked all of the cables coming from the PSU and they seem to be connected properly.
    Stenna85
    Re: 2080 Ti install now my computer won’t work. No signal 2020/06/05 01:25:50 (permalink)
    I read the manual and have asked a friend to see if he can download the flash bios for me. Hope that works
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080 Ti install now my computer won’t work. No signal 2020/06/05 01:39:07 (permalink)
    Stenna85
    I read the manual and have asked a friend to see if he can download the flash bios for me. Hope that works

Yeah, that would be very cool.

Take the BIOS battery out for about 5 minutes.

The Clear CMOS jumper resets the BIOS back to all default settings..Page 39 of your mobo manual.

POST = Power-On Self-Test..When it passes POST, everything is good to go..If it doesn't pass POST, Onboard error LEDs will light up, or the speaker, if it has one, will beep out a code, or the POST code reader that most mobos have will stop on an error number and go no further. 

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

Stenna85
    Re: 2080 Ti install now my computer won’t work. No signal 2020/06/05 05:57:24 (permalink)
    I have managed to sort it. I did your very final suggestion. I took every single thing apart and put it back together again and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your help. I’m mngenuinely really grateful.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080 Ti install now my computer won’t work. No signal 2020/06/05 08:15:31 (permalink)
    Cool beans 

Yeah, like I said, that's been known to strangely fix problems.

Glad you got it fixed, whatever was causing it.

Welcome to the forums, by the way..Be sure to read the Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members sometime if you haven't yet..Lots of good info there for you.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080 Ti install now my computer won’t work. No signal 2020/06/05 08:25:00 (permalink)
    Good to see bob16314 - got you fixed up

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile