EVGA

2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled

Author
appletax
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/26 11:59:02 (permalink)
I can get the Black card for 1050 or the base hydro card for 1200. Is the hydro (AIO) model worth an extra 150? Not interested if it gives me just a few more FPS. Needs to be a pretty big upgrade for 150 extra.
Also, do the AIOs have to be disassembled and cleaned annually? Not a fan of that.

11 Replies Related Threads

DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2019/11/26 12:28:30 (permalink)
    Hydro is not AIO. You need hybrid.
    Hybrid is much quiter and cooler than air one.

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
    Stephen Fry
    appletax
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2019/11/26 12:30:02 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury
    Hydro is not AIO. You need hybrid.
    Hybrid is much quiter and cooler than air one.

Oops, meant the Hybrid.
    Not too concerned with temps as long as the Black at stock speeds doesn't overheat and cause crashes, which it shouldn't.
    AIO requires maintenance?
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2019/11/26 12:33:24 (permalink)
    No.. AIO needs nothing.. just vacuum the fan and rad clean if you ever get some dust build up.

The quiet gaming will be well worth the extra cash. No doubt. Your nerves will thank you.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    appletax
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2019/11/26 12:41:50 (permalink)
    AHowes
    No.. AIO needs nothing.. just vacuum the fan and rad clean if you ever get some dust build up.

The quiet gaming will be well worth the extra cash. No doubt. Your nerves will thank you.

Thought AIO had to me taken apart to empty the coolant, clean it, and replace coolant. Hopefully that's wrong.

I have the 1080 Ti FTW3 and the (3) fans never bothered me.

Have to search for benchmarks comparing the two.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2019/11/26 12:45:12 (permalink)
    3 fans are not as bad as the 2 fan cards... usually.

It's a sealed unit. Only would need to drain and replace the coolant with a custom loop.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2019/11/26 14:59:38 (permalink)
    appletax

Thought AIO had to me taken apart to empty the coolant, clean it, and replace coolant. Hopefully that's wrong.

That is incorrect as the others have stated.  You're mixing up the two.

AIO (All-In-One) Hybrid coolers are used both on CPUs and GPUs that have a prebuild pump and cooling block as one with sealed tubes to and from the radiator and usually come with a radiator fan or two but that is all dependent on the radiator size.  It's completely maintenance free and will bring down your temps as opposed to air cooling.

Custom liquid cooling is where you'd buy all the pieces to piece it together.  Research up the wazoo and treat it like a fish tank where you have to maintain it annually or if issues arise.  Cleaning of parts, drain, refill, etc.

Here's a basic into to custom cooling if interested or just curious.

post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/11/26 15:02:02

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    rchiwawa
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 140
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2019/11/26 17:51:51 (permalink)
    appletax
    I can get the Black card for 1050 or the base hydro card for 1200. Is the hydro (AIO) model worth an extra 150? Not interested if it gives me just a few more FPS. Needs to be a pretty big upgrade for 150 extra.
    Also, do the AIOs have to be disassembled and cleaned annually? Not a fan of that.

Between my 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hyrdo Copper and my two fan 2080 Ti Black edition the net differencebetween the two ends up being 60-75Mhz core speed, 300Mhz of memory offset (the FTW3 has Micron and I have never checked the Black), and 2 FPS in SOTTR in 1440p ultra settings in benchmarks.

The FTW3 when I had the 3 fan cooler on it by memory ran noticeably quieter but not near enough to justify the price difference.  I tried the Hybrid AIO cooler on the FTW3 Ultra before I bit the bullet and went open loop and, although the performance was good, the pump noise was awful when the card wasn't spun up in game or folding.  ****ING AWFUL.  I am not alone and it seems to be a design/configuration choice by the engineering dept. for obvious reasons off into the weeds.

I would say unless you want to try your hand at overclocking for sport, get the Black 2 fan edition and game knowing you are 99.8% of what all but the Kingpins can do... albeit with a bit of extra noise.  Upon request I can reply to you with pictures of the SOTTR runs I have done between the two editions of the 2080 Ti
    nvserge
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2021/03/07 19:03:09 (permalink)
    I've recently tried and given up on a NZXT Kraken G12 plus Corsair H80i V2 to cool my EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Gaming. My setup is in a Thermaltake View 71 case with plenty of airflow and decent cable management. The CPU (i9 9900k) is cooled by a Corsair H115i Pro AIO and have been getting idle temps around 40C on the card and mid to high 70C on air with the standard cooler.

I've spent a few days planning and then mounting the H80i V2 at both the front of the case as an intake, and rear of the case as an exhaust, using both Corsair fans in push/pull mode. Have done a really careful job applying the thermal paste evenly and fastening the pump head on the Kraken G12 in the most optimal position. At first, I was amazed by the very low temps on the card with the AIO when mounted at the back of the case as an exhaust. Literally getting about 32C on idle and then barely hitting 50-52C on load.

Running any synthetic benchmarks on the card would produce those temperatures and increase my scores by about 10%. Mind you, did not try any overclocking of the card at all, just stock Core and Memory speeds. Now for the fun part, the very high trade-off in noise levels. None of the benchmarks were run long enough to stress the liquid temperature well enough in the H80i V2 AIO, although as soon as doing some serious gaming, such as GTA5 at 1440p at 144Hz with G-Sync on, after about 10 minutes of gaming the liquid temperature would hit the 40C threshold, and the fans on the AIO would rev up to 100%, providing a significantly louder, rather unbearable experience. Messing a bit with the BIOS fan curves would yield no improvement, as the cooler has that limit override any preset fan curves and revving up the fan speeds. 

In conclusion, if you are thinking about doing this, use at least a 240mm AIO, if not a 360mm AIO to possibly have more capacity to keep the liquid cooler at lower fan speeds. I've carefully cleaned up the card and reapplied paste and returned to the moderate db levels of the stock air cooler. Hope this helps someone out there thinking of going this route.

Core i9-9900k | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32GB G.Skill  TridentZ Series  DDR4 3200| EVGA Geforce RTX 2080TI XC Gaming | Samsung 970 Pro | 2x 4TB WD Blue SSD
    Corsair AX1200i PSU | Corsair H115i Pro | SoundBlaster X-AE5 | Thermaltake View 71 | Windows 10 X64

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2021/03/07 19:13:22 (permalink)
    nvserge
    I've recently tried and given up on a NZXT Kraken G12 plus Corsair H80i V2 to cool my EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Gaming. My setup is in a Thermaltake View 71 case with plenty of airflow and decent cable management. The CPU (i9 9900k) is cooled by a Corsair H115i Pro AIO and have been getting idle temps around 40C on the card and mid to high 70C on air with the standard cooler.

I've spent a few days planning and then mounting the H80i V2 at both the front of the case as an intake, and rear of the case as an exhaust, using both Corsair fans in push/pull mode. Have done a really careful job applying the thermal paste evenly and fastening the pump head on the Kraken G12 in the most optimal position. At first, I was amazed by the very low temps on the card with the AIO when mounted at the back of the case as an exhaust. Literally getting about 32C on idle and then barely hitting 50-52C on load.

Running any synthetic benchmarks on the card would produce those temperatures and increase my scores by about 10%. Mind you, did not try any overclocking of the card at all, just stock Core and Memory speeds. Now for the fun part, the very high trade-off in noise levels. None of the benchmarks were run long enough to stress the liquid temperature well enough in the H80i V2 AIO, although as soon as doing some serious gaming, such as GTA5 at 1440p at 144Hz with G-Sync on, after about 10 minutes of gaming the liquid temperature would hit the 40C threshold, and the fans on the AIO would rev up to 100%, providing a significantly louder, rather unbearable experience. Messing a bit with the BIOS fan curves would yield no improvement, as the cooler has that limit override any preset fan curves and revving up the fan speeds. 

In conclusion, if you are thinking about doing this, use at least a 240mm AIO, if not a 360mm AIO to possibly have more capacity to keep the liquid cooler at lower fan speeds. I've carefully cleaned up the card and reapplied paste and returned to the moderate db levels of the stock air cooler. Hope this helps someone out there thinking of going this route.

Begging your pardon, but your post has nothing to do with his purchasing the Hybrid model of the GPU.  He's not talking about modifying an existing one. 
    Secondarily, you should have chosen or devised a system that allows you better control over the fan speeds. Pro tip: Ditch the stock Corsair fans, grab a couple of Scythe AP-13 Gentle Typhoons. Run them off a motherboard header at 90% push/pull on your rad and you won't hear them and have steller temps.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

nvserge
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2021/03/07 19:56:50 (permalink)
    To be honest, I did not read through the post very thoroughly. It was the title that got my attention and thought to share my own experience with air vs liquid cooled. Thanks for the tip on those fans, going to give them a try. So you are suggesting to not plug them into the pump fan splitter cable then? I really dug the low temps. Do you think those fans will be better at keeping the liquid temp in reasonable range? Thanks again!

Core i9-9900k | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32GB G.Skill  TridentZ Series  DDR4 3200| EVGA Geforce RTX 2080TI XC Gaming | Samsung 970 Pro | 2x 4TB WD Blue SSD
    Corsair AX1200i PSU | Corsair H115i Pro | SoundBlaster X-AE5 | Thermaltake View 71 | Windows 10 X64

nvserge
    Re: 2080 Ti Watercooled vs Air Cooled 2021/03/07 20:25:33 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    nvserge

Begging your pardon, but your post has nothing to do with his purchasing the Hybrid model of the GPU.  He's not talking about modifying an existing one. 
    Secondarily, you should have chosen or devised a system that allows you better control over the fan speeds. Pro tip: Ditch the stock Corsair fans, grab a couple of Scythe AP-13 Gentle Typhoons. Run them off a motherboard header at 90% push/pull on your rad and you won't hear them and have steller temps.

The Scythe fans you recommended don't seem to be available anywhere, would you say that getting 2 of the Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM's would be as good of a choice?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile