EVGA

2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue

Author
Kinematic9
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/30 17:18:24 (permalink)
Hi All, I received my EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra today, have it up and running but have noticed a very annoying issue I can't seem to figure out.

I have 'Fan Speed' in X1 set to Auto, and both show 0, but Fan 2 is running at 3200 RPM constantly and I do not know how to get it set to normal. I tried manually changing, which doesn't seem to adjust it at all, I tried linking them, but it's just blowing very loud at full idle.

I appreciate anyone's help or suggestions.

11 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2018/09/30 18:02:20 (permalink)
    Did it behave this way fresh out of the box, or only after you installed and started messing with Precision X1?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Kinematic9
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2018/09/30 18:03:26 (permalink)
    Right out of the box the fan spun up and stayed on
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2018/09/30 18:08:19 (permalink)
    Sounds like you should contact EVGA.

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

If you haven't already, register the card before contacting EVGA.

https://www.evga.com/support/register.asp

After registering the card, creating a support ticket is an option.

https://www.evga.com/support/ticket/support.aspx

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2018/09/30 18:55:24 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Mawthra
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2019/04/25 08:38:00 (permalink)
    Chiming in here because I bought two of these cards and both are doing the full speed fan on cold boot... only way to remedy it is to shut the machine down and try again. Of the first two I was shipped, one had weird screen glitching artifacts all over, so I had to send that one back to get a new one... new one is fine (same exact board, cables, etc.) except for the unsettling fan issue. Both the cards I have right now (original and the replacement card) are up-to-date on the firmware through Precision X1... and even at that... I don't think it has anything to do with that because as soon as the power button is pressed, the fan is going full speed... way before Precision X1 would even be close to being loaded by Windows, etc. I made the mistake of buying these from Newegg only to find out AFTER the purchase that there were no refunds accepted on these items (too high a dollar value, I guess... never shopping there ever again, should have stuck to Amazon, but they didn't have two in stock when I ordered).

I feel so robbed with these cards... obviously defective and can't return them and I'm out $3,000... only option left is to do the RMA thing with EVGA and instead of having brand new cards which I paid an arm and a leg for, I'll get refurbs

Been buying EVGA GPUs for over a decade now and never had issues until now with these RTX cards... so frustrated.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2019/04/25 10:22:47 (permalink)
    If your within 30 days of purchase evga would send new replacements.

Yeah I learned many years ago not to buy gpu's from newegg. I only usually buy just memory from there because of there selection.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2019/04/25 10:29:03 (permalink)
    Mawthra
    Chiming in here because I bought two of these cards and both are doing the full speed fan on cold boot... only way to remedy it is to shut the machine down and try again. Of the first two I was shipped, one had weird screen glitching artifacts all over, so I had to send that one back to get a new one... new one is fine (same exact board, cables, etc.) except for the unsettling fan issue. Both the cards I have right now (original and the replacement card) are up-to-date on the firmware through Precision X1... and even at that... I don't think it has anything to do with that because as soon as the power button is pressed, the fan is going full speed... way before Precision X1 would even be close to being loaded by Windows, etc. I made the mistake of buying these from Newegg only to find out AFTER the purchase that there were no refunds accepted on these items (too high a dollar value, I guess... never shopping there ever again, should have stuck to Amazon, but they didn't have two in stock when I ordered).

I feel so robbed with these cards... obviously defective and can't return them and I'm out $3,000... only option left is to do the RMA thing with EVGA and instead of having brand new cards which I paid an arm and a leg for, I'll get refurbs

Been buying EVGA GPUs for over a decade now and never had issues until now with these RTX cards... so frustrated.

Does the card work?

*shrug* The fans are not an issue.

Edit: Note, this is my reaction to this kind of thing. Although I would say I would be unhappy if I couldn't adjust it via PX1 at desktop...

post edited by transdogmifier - 2019/04/25 10:33:12

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2019/04/25 10:44:19 (permalink)
    If you can adjust the fans with px1.. then it sounds like it just needs a bios flash to fix the fan issue.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    DavidO
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 163
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2019/04/25 13:57:19 (permalink)
    Hello Kinematic9,

If the only issue you are having is the fan please make sure you install the newest version of the EVGA X1 software. Also, I would recommend using this link HERE to try and flash the firmware of the GPU over this sometimes can resolve this issue with fans or even RGB lighting.
    Kinematic9
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2019/04/29 08:12:29 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DavidO
    Hello Kinematic9,

If the only issue you are having is the fan please make sure you install the newest version of the EVGA X1 software. Also, I would recommend using this link to try and flash the firmware of the GPU over this sometimes can resolve this issue with fans or even RGB lighting.

So I actually sent this back to RMA within a few days. This was an issue that was unable to be fixed with using Precision (which was the newest version at the time), and as Mawthra mentioned, it would spin both up to 100% as soon as the system was powered on. It was most definitely an issue with the fan controller, especially since they were showing the incorrect speeds in X1.

As to the following:

transdogmifier
    Mawthra

Does the card work?

*shrug* The fans are not an issue.

Edit: Note, this is my reaction to this kind of thing. Although I would say I would be unhappy if I couldn't adjust it via PX1 at desktop...

Mawthra is correct in just sending it back, as a heads up they sent me a brand new one but it was also at launch time. The new one was immediately fine and I have not had an issue with it.

As totransdogmifier's response, that's some pretty terrible advice. If he's having the same issue I did, those fans were loud enough where you could hear them from 2 rooms away. It's absolutely unacceptable to say that wasn't an issue with a $1,300 piece of hardware.

EVGA made it right in the end, which is why I continue to use them, but if anyone is having this issue, it's def worth the RMA with EVGA.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 Ti Ultra Fan Full Speed Issue 2019/05/01 12:52:14 (permalink)
    Kinematic9

EVGA made it right in the end, which is why I continue to use them, but if anyone is having this issue, it's def worth the RMA with EVGA.

Glad it all got worked out. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile