2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue

Author
BringOutYourDead
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/22 20:37:13 (permalink)
Hi All,
I just received my 2080 Ti FTW3 card and have had lots of trouble getting the three fans working correctly. They work best with Precision X1, but then I have issues running BFV with Precision X1 running. For some reason, the card clocks really low when I run the game when X1 is running. When X1 isn't running no issue, but the fans do not work right. The single fan by the display connectors does not run and the card gets hotter. I am running the newest Nvidia driver, mobo bios, etc.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

aroubin
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/02/22 23:53:07 (permalink)
    Load default settings, then make sure fans are in Auto mode. I noticed that the fan by the display connectors always runs but the other two kick in as needed. At first I thought there is an issue with the fans but I kicked all 3 fans to 100% manually (to test that the fans themselves are working) and everything was fine. When GPU utilization is at 100% all 3 are working in auto mode.

BTW, what temps are you getting on the GPU, memory, etc.? 

BringOutYourDead
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/02/23 14:46:36 (permalink)
    I ended up reinstalling windows and all is fine. The fan closest to the display ports does not turn on until the card is under load. I think the GPU temps get up to 65F under gaming load. They stay around 62F when using Precision X1, but I am reluctant to install Precision again, due to how poorly my games ran in the past with X1 installed.
    habitualpain
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/03/10 20:00:41 (permalink)
    i installed a hybrid cooler on mine and x1 would only control the one on the radiator and not the one on the card. i uninstalled and went to afterburner and restarted and now the fan runs all the time and i cant control it at all. but atleast it runs i guess.
    Techmonstaa
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/07/19 15:35:14 (permalink)
    While the computer is off, check your vBios switch (the little switch next to the 8 pin power connectors on your card) if the switch is facing your power connectors, push it to the other side on your card to face the display connectors (backside of your PC) When you turn your pc back on, all should be well. You're more than likely on the higher setting which locks the lowest fan speed to 20% on fan 1 and does not allow it to shut off. I ran into the same issue and found the answer on another post. I totally forgot I changed the vBios switch lol. Credit goes to EVGA forum member vengeancewithin
    xProlific
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/10/28 18:25:59 (permalink)
    Figured this out, if you scroll to the fan curve page you have to make sure that the “Enable Automatic Control” box is checked otherwise your first fan will stay at 20% and all other fans will remain at zero at all time even when the fans are set to automatic on that first page.

I don’t know why EVGA made it so you have to set fans to automatic on two pages for it to work. It is really bad design so why it is still not fixed a year later is beyond me. Hopefully this helps others though.
    Critical Delay
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/10/28 22:22:00 (permalink)
    Techmonstaa
    While the computer is off, check your vBios switch (the little switch next to the 8 pin power connectors on your card) if the switch is facing your power connectors, push it to the other side on your card to face the display connectors (backside of your PC) When you turn your pc back on, all should be well. You're more than likely on the higher setting which locks the lowest fan speed to 20% on fan 1 and does not allow it to shut off. I ran into the same issue and found the answer on another post. I totally forgot I changed the vBios switch lol. Credit goes to EVGA forum member vengeancewithin

I just noticed that fan 1 on my 2080ti ft3 is also at 20%. Is the VBios switch the same as the switch that lets you go into OC mode? I turned that on about a week ago and just now my 1st fan wont go lower than 20%.

xProlific
    Figured this out, if you scroll to the fan curve page you have to make sure that the “Enable Automatic Control” box is checked otherwise your first fan will stay at 20% and all other fans will remain at zero at all time even when the fans are set to automatic on that first page.

I don’t know why EVGA made it so you have to set fans to automatic on two pages for it to work. It is really bad design so why it is still not fixed a year later is beyond me. Hopefully this helps others though.

This didn't seem to work for me
    Techmonstaa
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/11/10 08:45:12 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. I think I'll have to reinstall to see if that fixes it. No matter what I do, the first fan stays on 20%
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/11/10 10:38:30 (permalink)
    The first fan closest to the ports is the GPU fan. The middle is for memory and the right side is vrm.

If one used msi afterburner it would only control the left gpu fan.

A pain but one could set the fans to a static speed px1 hit apply and close px1 and launch afterburner to control the clocks.

Anyways.. use the fan profile.. you need to set all 3 fans differently. Be nice if one could just synchronize all fans to the GPU fan but that dont exsit.. unless its changed now.

I used to do like 50% fans at idle temp and up to 40c. 40c-50c 75% and 60- to max 100%.

The mem and vrm fans you would need to get more aggressive as those temps are lower then the GPU temp. So like 50% at idle (20c- 28c) and 29-34 at like 75% or so and 35- to max at 100% fans. All 3 fans will obviously help keep the GPU temp down so one would want those running hard as well.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    xProlific
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/11/27 12:13:45 (permalink)
    Critical Delay
    Techmonstaa

I just noticed that fan 1 on my 2080ti ft3 is also at 20%. Is the VBios switch the same as the switch that lets you go into OC mode? I turned that on about a week ago and just now my 1st fan wont go lower than 20%.

The GPU has two Bios that you can toggle between using the OC Switch. If your switch is set to OC mode then it is by design that the first fan is programmed to never go below 20%. The reason for that is because this Bios is to be used for by users when overclocking and it is a safeguard implemented to ensure safe temperatures. If you wish this fan to go below 20% or turn off at low temperature or when the card is idle then you should use the Non-OC bios.

The problem I had highlighted was that the other two fans on card would not turn on AT ALL when "FAN SPEED" on the first first tab of PX1 was set to "AUTO" as noted when the auto were highlighted in blue. It wasn't until you scrolled two tabs to the right on the Fan control screen and checked the "Fan Curve Control" box that the other fans would actually turn on and set fan speed automatically depending on temperature.

Rlentini3
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/12/18 18:30:36 (permalink)
    My GTX 2080 Super graphics card fans aren't spinning while computer is on without a load.  Is that normal?

I downloaded PX1, and went to the Fan Curve Control box and setting a curve, was able to turn fans on at lower temps.  However, when I exit the PX1 application, the fans turn back off.  It looks like the settings for fan speed only apply when the app is running.  When I reload the app, the fans start up again.  Is that standard operating procedure... that I have to leave the app loaded and running for the settings to apply?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 Ti FTW3 Fan Issue 2019/12/18 19:19:33 (permalink)
    Rlentini3
    My GTX 2080 Super graphics card fans aren't spinning while computer is on without a load.  Is that normal?

I downloaded PX1, and went to the Fan Curve Control box and setting a curve, was able to turn fans on at lower temps.  However, when I exit the PX1 application, the fans turn back off.  It looks like the settings for fan speed only apply when the app is running.  When I reload the app, the fans start up again.  Is that standard operating procedure... that I have to leave the app loaded and running for the settings to apply?

Yes, it is normal and you still need to run PX1 in the background for your manually set fan curves to work.  Also, make sure to save the profile so you don't have to do that all over again.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile