EVGA

Hot!2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound

Author
gregpolen
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/19 14:52:03 (permalink)
So, shortly after having this card, got it last week, I started hearing a hard drive seek sound. and tracked it down to the fans on the GPU. Have a listen. All 3 fans do this.

"https://youtu.be/auM-mfrxuk0"

Not a problem while gaming since the fans don't stop. As a workaround I used Precision X1 to change the fan curve for minimum 20% so the fans don't stop. This defeats the whole ICX2 Tech.

Does anyone else hear this. It's an annoying sound while reading email or forums. I'm hoping an update could fix it.

Thanks,
Polen

7 Replies Related Threads

Latharion
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 223
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound 2019/08/19 15:32:51 (permalink)
    It sounds like the fan in the video may be partially obstructed by the plastic housing or possibly one of the fins on the heatsink.  Also note that many PWM fans (the EVGA fans included) tend to make noises when starting from 0%.  Most fans are designed to run at a certain minimum speed.  This issue occurs among other products besides EVGA video cards as well (closed loop coolers for example).  From the video it appears that the card is hitting it's minimum thermal threshold for activating the fans, and then cooling down rapidly, and then repeating.  Before you begin diagnosing the card, it may be helpful to determine the average ambient temps both inside the case and outside the case.  The fans should not activate until they reach 40C (if I remember right...)?!  So that would indicate either your case is running a bit warm, or your ambient temperature is a bit high (like 30C or more). 

As a simple test, remove the side panel of the case and then direct an external fan toward the inside of the case.  If the heatsink fans do not turn on at idle when they did previously, the issue could be an airflow issue with your case.

Possible options for fixing the fan clicking sound include taking apart the fan shroud/heatsink and then re-assembling, which may reveal a spacing issue with the fan(s) (your warranty will still be fully covered as long as no permanent modifications are done to the heatsink/fan), or you can RMA the card.  If you choose to RMA the card, be aware that the replacement card may exhibit similar symptoms.

Intel i7 9800X 3.80Ghz (OC to 4.70 Ghz)
    32Gb Gskill Ripjaws (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) In quad channel running at 3200MHz (XMP enabled)
    Corsair H150i Pro RGB AiO
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    EVGA x299 Dark motherboard
    Corsair 700D Case (I still love this case!)
    Creative X-fi Titanium Soundcard
    1x Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
    1x Professional brand 1TB SSD (Microcenter brand)
    Corsair 850 HXi PS

Shaddmp
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound 2019/08/19 23:58:16 (permalink)
    This is normal.. i seen and heard this on 3 different cards 2 2080 and 1 2080 Ti

I just set X1 to boot with windows with the fans at 20% you wont even hear them..
    Draxcolt
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound 2020/04/07 08:35:01 (permalink)
    I have experienced exactly the same issue on 2 of the EVGA RTX 2080 super FTW3 Ultra cards. In both cases I returned the cards from 2 different suppliers and both confirmed that in each case the card was faulty and offered me a replacement/refund. I also contacted EVGA here in the UK and they also confirmed that this should not happen. The first card only started to make the noise 3 months into use where as the second card only had 10 minutes of use. I note that this behaviour only occurs when any of the fans initially startup up and then disappears after approx a second (as per your youtube video). 

I did have one other issue with the second card that meant Fan 1 was stuck at 20% max RPM. Nothing I did corrected this behaviour. Precision X1 would not allow me to change this value, indeed the lowest value for Fan 1 according to Precision X1 and MSI After Burner was 20% max RPM on both the OC and none OC bios. This is what I tried.
    1. Uninstalled Precision X1 completely including saved settings and re-installed, didn't work.
    2. Uninstalled latest NVIDEA driver completely and reinstalled, didn't work.
    3. Powered down PC, left for 20 seconds and then restarted, didn't work.
    4. Powered down PC, removed card, waited 20 minutes and then reinstalled card, didn't work. 
    5. Switched between OC and non OC bios, didn't work.

Third time lucky ?????
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 22718
    • Ribbons : 117
    Re: 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound 2020/04/07 08:53:26 (permalink)
    @ Draxcolt
    Post released from filter .. sorry for the delay

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK-5930K 2xEVGA2080Ti EVGA-1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 3-GPU Water Loop 1600P2  AIO Folding  X99 2x1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, 1200P
    Thank You for Your Support

Draxcolt
    Re: 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound 2020/04/14 08:37:29 (permalink)
    Well, received my brand spanking new EVGA RTX 2080 super FTW3 Ultra today and guess what; same old same old. Yes that's right, third time not lucky.
    1. Fan 1 stuck at 20% max percentage RPM on default setting. Minimum max percentage speed on Fan 1 is 20%, 19% and lower not available. 
    2. On start up fan makes noise (any fan) and disappears within 1 sec.

SO, I can only conclude this is a FEATURE as opposed to a FAULT. EVGA if you are listening please can you confirm either way as to my conclusion. This is my third card over a period of 9 months, the first was delivered August 2019, second March 2020 and third April 2020. The first card did not suffer from 1. above but did suffer from 2. above. 

By the way this one ain't going back. And the work around is to enable fan curve ensuring all fans active at 0 degrees C.   
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8151
    • Ribbons : 42
    Re: 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound 2020/04/14 13:54:37 (permalink)
    Draxcolt
    Well, received my brand spanking new EVGA RTX 2080 super FTW3 Ultra today and guess what; same old same old. Yes that's right, third time not lucky.
    1. Fan 1 stuck at 20% max percentage RPM on default setting. Minimum max percentage speed on Fan 1 is 20%, 19% and lower not available. 
    2. On start up fan makes noise (any fan) and disappears within 1 sec.

SO, I can only conclude this is a FEATURE as opposed to a FAULT. EVGA if you are listening please can you confirm either way as to my conclusion. This is my third card over a period of 9 months, the first was delivered August 2019, second March 2020 and third April 2020. The first card did not suffer from 1. above but did suffer from 2. above. 

By the way this one ain't going back. And the work around is to enable fan curve ensuring all fans active at 0 degrees C.   

Yes, it's a new feature.  It only spins when it needs too and each fan is based on a specific duty on the board.  It's explains it here under iCX2 Interactive Cooling.

If the start and stop on the fans become of an annoyance, you can use a manual fan curve and have the fans run at low speed on idle and increasing it at the higher temps.  Don't forget you have up to 89c to work with along with built-in protections put in place.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts, to get 5%-10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    *Thanks for your support!*
    Use this Rewards Code below when registering your EVGA products. 
    (Invoice needs to be uploaded.)
    Draxcolt
    Re: 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra weird fan sound 2020/04/18 03:16:02 (permalink)
    Thankyou for your response. However in the link provided I see no mention of the "20% max percentage RPM"  on Fan 1 on default settings or indeed any mention of the initial noise made by fan on start up. 
    After two days of use I now note that Fan 1 has gone from it's initial lowest value of 20% max percentage RPM to 0% max percentage RPM on default settings which suggests the 20% max percentage RPM is not a feature but a bug.  

I would also like to add (as commented on other posts) the lack of any kind of Precision X1 technical documentation i.e. a simple user guide, making setting up the OC on the card extremely frustrating and comments like "intuitive interface" just add to that frustration. The many videos posted by EVGA on Precision X1 are more marketing materials than any useful information on how to use Precision X1. And although the balloon help is helpful it is no substitute for good documentation. I can only assume like many companies these days that documentation falls by the wayside as project deadlines draw closer and resources become scarce (or a conscious decision not to include this?). Having to scour the internet to find answers to basic questions regarding this product is no substitute for good documentation. Don't get me wrong, EVGA have done a good job regarding Precision X1 in terms of the UI however a user guide would have put this product in the category of excellent. 

As I said before I will be hanging onto my EVGA card, I had thought to purchase the equivalent ASUS card which has received excellent reviews but the price was prohibitive.

Happy gaming and Stay Safe.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile