EVGA

2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise)

Author
Aerochrome
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/01/25 22:40:56 (permalink)
I got my new 2080 running today in vertical install bracket, and after the expected gurgling for a few seconds the pump went silent.  After about an hour of idle, I noticed a new noise from my PC, the pump now sounds like the compressor in a small refrigerator!  I tried moving it to a normal horizontal configuration, but it was no different.  I troubleshooted it (stopping fans, removing card) and verified that it is indeed the pump.  Any tips before I RMA?

23 Replies Related Threads

billyash04
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 05:49:14 (permalink)
    Just got mine in for my 2080 Ti, same issue, and what's funny is that I actually have a mini fridge nearby and they sound almost exactly the same. Try shaking the radiator while it's running, pretty sure that's all you can do. My RMA is already submitted.

Aerochrome
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 10:17:39 (permalink)
    I have now found at least half a dozen threads about this issue. Has anyone found an official response from EVGA?
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 10:49:19 (permalink)
    Aerochrome
    I have now found at least half a dozen threads about this issue. Has anyone found an official response from EVGA?

This is only a Member to Member Forum.

For an Official Response from EVGA

Contact Us

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/01/26 10:56:24

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 10:52:50 (permalink)
    Aerochrome
    I got my new 2080 running today in vertical install bracket, and after the expected gurgling for a few seconds the pump went silent.  After about an hour of idle, I noticed a new noise from my PC, the pump now sounds like the compressor in a small refrigerator!  I tried moving it to a normal horizontal configuration, but it was no different.  I troubleshooted it (stopping fans, removing card) and verified that it is indeed the pump.  Any tips before I RMA?

This may help.
    Take the Graphics Card out of your computer and hold the Radiator above the Graphics Card and then Shake Both for a few minutes.
    When you install the Graphics Card back in your computer keep the Radiator above the Graphics Card with the Tubes at the Bottom of the Radiator.
    Do not Mount the Radiator with the Tubes on Top of the Radiator, the Bottom of the Radiator is the best place for them or if needed on one side or the Other of the Radiator.

Sorry I just had too.

Maybe just a little bit of an Exaggeration
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/01/26 11:11:22

Aerochrome
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 12:00:33 (permalink)
    No, I mean i mean the pump sounds like a compressor in a minifridge. Even when the fans aren't running. Also it doesn't sound like trapped air, it sounds like something in the pump is physically misaligned.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 12:11:43 (permalink)
    Aerochrome
    No, I mean i mean the pump sounds like a compressor in a minifridge. Even when the fans aren't running. Also it doesn't sound like trapped air, it sounds like something in the pump is physically misaligned.

So Shaking it did not help?

Post an Image of your Computer so we can see how the card is installed in the Case.

Aerochrome
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 12:15:20 (permalink)
    It's installed in a standard configuration, like my previous MSI sea hawk. Shaking is mainly to free trapped air is it not? Trying to realign a pump would involve far more shaking than I would normal want to give aa $800 computer product.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 15:19:30 (permalink)
    Since you don't seem to want to be too descriptive about how everything is installed, can you please show us a picture?

Yes, shaking it is for the purpose of releasing trapped air. You may not think that your issue is related to trapped air, but others think that it might. Again, can you tell us or show us a picture of how the radiator is positioned in relation to the card and pump? The radiator should be higher up than the pump and the radiator hoses should be at the bottom of the radiator. If you cannot eliminate that as a possible cause of the noise -- either by continuing to give vague responses or rejecting people's opinion -- I am sorry that you will primarily continue to just receive the same recommendations over and over again.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

rchiwawa
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 140
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/26 18:19:32 (permalink)
    For my 400HY1484B1 I have attempted some noise mitigation with modest success.  The pump is still noticeably audible but it is both quieter and has a lot less spectrum going on.  I cut a piece of spare mouse pad to shape to sit between the rad and my case, felt side toward the case fwiw and pictured below are spectrographs from my seated position at the computer of what is audible.  I positioned the phone's microphone as close to my ear directed toward the case both times, from the same spot, same loading (running folding at home.  It's not a dramatic improvement but I feel it was worth my 30 minutes and you might attempt something similar if the noise is as bothersome to you as it was to me.  This made things much more livable.

direct to case radiator mount spectrograph

with foam interface installed between rad and case felt side out.  I sneezed, pls disgrard :)

Hope this helps out.

Attached Image(s)

Aerochrome
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/30 16:57:04 (permalink)
    I got a replacement via Advanced RMA today, and the pump noise seems even louder somehow.  The noise does however sound very different, and now sounds more like a fan than a compressor pump.  The "new" noise is now louder than all of my case fans combined when set to high. Maybe I got two bad units? Anyway...

rchiwawa
    For my 400HY1484B1 I have attempted some noise mitigation with modest success.  The pump is still noticeably audible but it is both quieter and has a lot less spectrum going on.  I cut a piece of spare mouse pad to shape to sit between the rad and my case, felt side toward the case fwiw and pictured below are spectrographs from my seated position at the computer of what is audible.  I positioned the phone's microphone as close to my ear directed toward the case both times, from the same spot, same loading (running folding at home.  It's not a dramatic improvement but I feel it was worth my 30 minutes and you might attempt something similar if the noise is as bothersome to you as it was to me.  This made things much more livable.

[graphics snip]

The noise seems to be coming from the pump itself, not the radiator housing.  The noise did not seem to change in "volume" even when the radiator assembly was physically detached from the case. We are talking about the radiator/fan assembly right?

I had an MSI unit before this that had a pump that produced imperceptible noise, and I'll have to swap back to it and get a refund if the second RMA unit it seems I'll have to inevitably request does not pan out.
    Aerochrome
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/30 17:10:11 (permalink)
    Wellllllllll the new card stopped recognizing its radiator fan. It stopped spinning and doesn't show up in Precision X1 any longer.  Multiple reboots isn't helping.  
    rchiwawa
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 140
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/01/30 17:16:15 (permalink)
    Aerochrome

The noise seems to be coming from the pump itself, not the radiator housing.  The noise did not seem to change in "volume" even when the radiator assembly was physically detached from the case. We are talking about the radiator/fan assembly right?

I had an MSI unit before this that had a pump that produced imperceptible noise, and I'll have to swap back to it and get a refund if the second RMA unit it seems I'll have to inevitably request does not pan out.

A lot of noise is being transferred to the rad is the only way I can interpret my results.  Just holding the rad unmounted but system powered on (fan unplugged) you can feel quite a bit  of (edit changed it to...) vibration.  You can see in the spectrograph, there is still plenty of noise, just a lot less frequencies and reduced intensity of the worst of it.  It is still quite audible but nowhere near as obnoxious for me post insulation.  Yeah, I was referencing the rad.
    fakum
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/08 11:42:49 (permalink)
    So I just received my 2080 Ti FTW3 yesterday. I had to replace my 980 Ti Hybrid as it died (out of warranty). I use this PC for DCS Combat Flight sim, Work from home and I am also getting ready to jump into VR. I needed a replacement, and I wanted the horsepower to run better graphics for gaming and VR. In addition, I spent alot of $ getting Case fans that were pretty much silent, I even have a corsair H115i CPU cooler. Before my 980 Ti died, I was not even sure the PC was running, there was next to no noise.

Now this Freakin $1500 Son of a beach!!!! WTH,,, really,, after all of that $$$. So I went thru the air bubble removal process, I certainly had that noise on initial startup,, then it quieted down. But that ANNOYING refrigerator noise in my ear,,, just not tolerable! I spent the night and today reading the forums, watching the Youtube vids etc. Took the card back out, even though I was confident at that point it was not air related, I did it anyway. I even started passing the magnet around the shroud, that didnt really solve anything for me.

I dont know if I can send this back, but if I can, I think I would rather hear the noise of fans running then this pump, seriously! I figure at least when I am working, the fans wont be cranked, and when Im gaming, the gaming noise would drown out most of the fan noise. for me anyway, fan noise would be much better tolerated. I swear I have this ringing in my ear now. Oh, and Im not at all interested in learning how to hack my motherboard and set some sort of profile to run the pump off the motherboard as I have seen. Thoughts on another optional replacement that is air cooled, but not unreasonably loud would be helpful, thanks in advance.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/08 13:58:58 (permalink)
    Maybe the next release evga will wise up and use nothing but 240mm rads in there aio cards. Pumps wont need to run full tilt and loud to try and keep temps down.

Send it back and exchange for the air cooled card.

I'd just suggest an custom loop as then you can get a near silent or totally silent cold running system and reuse the parts over and over in future builds with really just replacing the GPU block.

D5 pumps are silent. Love my ek d5 pumps.

Though for a few hundred more you can just get a kingpin that has the 240mm rad and that will be silent.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/08 15:03:25 (permalink)
    See if you can switch to the 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra model or stick with this GPU but just replace the hybrid on it with a NZXT G12 with a compatible AIO sold from several companies like the one you use for your CPU.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/08 15:35:18 (permalink)
    fakum
    So I just received my 2080 Ti FTW3 yesterday. I had to replace my 980 Ti Hybrid as it died (out of warranty). I use this PC for DCS Combat Flight sim, Work from home and I am also getting ready to jump into VR. I needed a replacement, and I wanted the horsepower to run better graphics for gaming and VR. In addition, I spent alot of $ getting Case fans that were pretty much silent, I even have a corsair H115i CPU cooler. Before my 980 Ti died, I was not even sure the PC was running, there was next to no noise.

Now this Freakin $1500 Son of a beach!!!! WTH,,, really,, after all of that $$$. So I went thru the air bubble removal process, I certainly had that noise on initial startup,, then it quieted down. But that ANNOYING refrigerator noise in my ear,,, just not tolerable! I spent the night and today reading the forums, watching the Youtube vids etc. Took the card back out, even though I was confident at that point it was not air related, I did it anyway. I even started passing the magnet around the shroud, that didnt really solve anything for me.

I dont know if I can send this back, but if I can, I think I would rather hear the noise of fans running then this pump, seriously! I figure at least when I am working, the fans wont be cranked, and when Im gaming, the gaming noise would drown out most of the fan noise. for me anyway, fan noise would be much better tolerated. I swear I have this ringing in my ear now. Oh, and Im not at all interested in learning how to hack my motherboard and set some sort of profile to run the pump off the motherboard as I have seen. Thoughts on another optional replacement that is air cooled, but not unreasonably loud would be helpful, thanks in advance.

I've got a 2080Ti hybrid and here's how I configured it for quiet running:

- Aftermarket mini-gpu to motherboard header adapter cable, plug pump into MB header
    - 2x Noctua A12 fans push pull on the radiator, plugged into MB header via Y-spliter
    - Control Pump voltage via MB "system temp", at under 35C it runs at 7.5V which is nearly silent while still being enough to start the pump at system boot.  At above 35C it jumps up to 10.5V which is definitely still quieter than 12V, but enough to cool under load.
    - Control fan speed (% PWM) so below 35C system the push pull fans run at 1000RPM, very quiet.  Above 35C they jump up to 1800RPM. 
    - Card VRM fixed at 35, 40 or 50% depending on OC profile.

It idles at 26C in a 20C (68F) room.  When I go into a game it takes a couple minutes for the system to heat up and trigger the fans.  The GPU will gradually ramp up to about 50-55C depending on the load.  I've got the CPU on a matching CLC120 with push pull A12's, but the fans ramp up gradually from 1000rpm above 40C.  It's great because the machine never changes it's fan speed unless you really load it up, then it locks in at the faster fixed fan speed that is still pretty quiet, there is no ramping up and down.  Both rads are intakes in a 4U rack case.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/12/09 06:01:16
    fakum
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/09 04:04:17 (permalink)
    @AHowes, I dont have any more room in my case for a 2nd 240mm RAD. And I did not know that the pump on the Kingpin was different, and quiet. Thanks though.

@CTXJackBauer, That looks like a good option, but does that void the warranty on the GPU?

@kevinc313, Thanks for the advise, as I stated though, that is not something Im interested in doing. I wont rule it out, but that would be my last resort i think.

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/09 04:27:08 (permalink)
    fakum
    @AHowes, I dont have any more room in my case for a 2nd 240mm RAD. And I did not know that the pump on the Kingpin was different, and quiet. Thanks though.

@CTXJackBauer, That looks like a good option, but does that void the warranty on the GPU?

@kevinc313, Thanks for the advise, as I stated though, that is not something Im interested in doing. I wont rule it out, but that would be my last resort i think.

You can replace the AIO that the card comes with by switching to another aftermarket brand if you want, you can remove the AIO and replace the thermal paste to make sure its in good condition, as long as the card can be put back in original factory condition you will not void the warranty or cause any issues with an RMA if you decide to. 
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2019/12/09 04:30:39

fakum
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/09 04:38:44 (permalink)
    Thats kinda what I am thinking also. There are none of those "Stickers" that are across any screw holes that say "Warranty Void if Removed" is there? Thanks, This seems like the simplest approach perhaps, outside of the fact that I pissed the $ away for the expense of the Hybrid i suppose.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/09 05:06:05 (permalink)
    fakum
    Thats kinda what I am thinking also. There are none of those "Stickers" that are across any screw holes that say "Warranty Void if Removed" is there? Thanks, This seems like the simplest approach perhaps, outside of the fact that I pissed the $ away for the expense of the Hybrid i suppose.

There might be a sticker across one of the screws if there is a backplate installed, even then it does not void your warranty. As EVGA has confirmed here on the forum in several places that to replace thermal paste does not void warranty but in some case to do that the sticker must be altered to get to a screw. So it is what it is as far as what the sticker says. As long as no physical damage is done your OK.

fakum
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/09 05:52:12 (permalink)
    Interesting! I would have figured otherwise,, ,but thanks. Now onto what 3rd party cooler would be the simplest/quietest, and best performer.
    GTX Jack suggested the NZXT G12 above, I will look into that. It looks like the air cooled version of my same GPU is the same price so it doesn't seem to be a good idea to send this one back for an exchange or whatever. Thanks
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/09 06:44:54 (permalink)
    Well remember that the original cooler must be put back on the card to rma it.. and you'll need to keep the original cooler to retain your GPU warranty.

And the big one. When its times to sell the card in the future, the new owner will need to deal with the loud pump and may not be happy.

If you plan to keep the card past its warranty then no big deal.. find a new cooler for it.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    fakum
    Re: 2080 Hybrid sounds like a small refrigerator (Pump Noise) 2019/12/09 07:05:20 (permalink)
    Thank you
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile