EVGA

2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning

Author
skonkmonkey
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/12 08:52:23 (permalink)
Does anyone know of a good way to clean the 20’s series hydrocopper blocks? From the looks of it, EVGA doesn’t want you to disassemble. It doesn’t have crazy buildup. Only one year. But I’ve got the loop apart and would like to clean everything.

11 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2020/01/12 22:36:05 (permalink)
    Seems like my comments were removed.  Dam spam filter.  Can a mod check on that.  Thx lol

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2020/01/13 01:08:37 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Seems like my comments were removed.  Dam spam filter.  Can a mod check on that.  Thx lol

Looks like you didn't post at all.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2020/01/13 08:47:37 (permalink)
    Sajin
    GTXJackBauer

Looks like you didn't post at all.

Spam filtered posts are still in the thread ... I do not see such in this thread

Enter key failure or you put it in the wrong thread ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2020/01/13 12:03:56 (permalink)

I must've not hit submit post! 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2020/01/15 10:25:19 (permalink)
    skonkmonkey
    Does anyone know of a good way to clean the 20’s series hydrocopper blocks? From the looks of it, EVGA doesn’t want you to disassemble. It doesn’t have crazy buildup. Only one year. But I’ve got the loop apart and would like to clean everything.

Chemical cleaning has risks ... you Must follow the proper steps & remove / flush all of the chemicals ... it is possible that some of the chemicals can be trapped around the O-rings, if you do not disassemble the part your cleaning ... thats would be Bad

What are you trying to clean out of the water block ?

this thread might help:  Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

JLArmstrong
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2022/07/11 11:32:13 (permalink)
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was also in the situation that I wanted to clean the build up out of a EVGA Hydro Copper 2080 block.  It is clear EVGA (or whatever 3rd party they commissioned) did not want or consider allowing users to disassemble and clean this block.  It is doable however.  Here is a brief outline:

- Remove the metal/aluminum by taking out the 7 screws. After removing the 7 screws, I used a small plastic prying tool near the top corner/angle near the 'mesh' since it is glued down slightly at that one spot, unsticking this part so it comes free is unavoidable.  Gently release it with some care to avoid bending the metal piece, the metal cover hides the light strip and is cosmetic so keep it in good shape.

- Next remove the screws holding down the acrylic top cover (This is a tinted acrylic thin cover that spans the card, but has no other functional purpose other than to provide tint). NOTE: there is one screw under the badge at the lower right corner on the tented cover, you do not necessarily need to remove this screw, you can "swing" the acrylic cover away to expose the hex head screws that hold the clear acrylic block into the cold plate, it will be clear when you get to this point.  You could also remove that badge (it is glued on) and take out that screw if you wish but I prefer to avoid prying off components that are glued on whenever possible, minimizes risk of damage or unsightly gouge marks. 

- There are 5 screws holding down the light strip, remove the them and free the light strip (you may also optionally disconnect the light strip since has a plugged lead half way to the block, I left it attached).  Make note of how the LED strip wire/cable is routed in the channel as it will make it easier to reassemble after the cleaning.

- Using a razor blade or plastic pry tool (I used a plastic pry tool) you need to remove the black EVGA Hydro Copper badge at the top of the terminal/port block that covers the screws which mount the port block.  Again, I am not keen on removing things glued on, but this is unavoidable.  This is a step where you do want to take some care not to scratch or chip the badge.   You will also need to remove the top plastic PCB (it is a PCB that is used for lighting), both are glued/stuck down so again be gentle, the removal process should be such that enough glue/sticky stuff remains to remount them during reassembly.

- Remove the two screws that screw into the cold plate in the light channel as well.

- Remove the all Phillips screws and hex screws holding the clear acrylic block to the Ni coated copper cold plate, the cold plate will fall away once all the screws are out.

- Gently remove the o-ring and set aside.

- Clean the block as desired.  I use warm water with a drop of dish soap and a dedicated toothbrush (soft bristle), followed by a little isopropyl alcohol through the channels, followed by a thorough rinse with water and then distilled water.  I think will blow it dry with a hair dryer set on warm (not hot).

- Re-assemble in the reverse order, ensuring the gasket/o-ring is well seated.  This is critical, pinching the o-ring will practically guarantee a leak and the o-ring will be permanently damaged. Also, when tightening the acrylic block back to the cold plate do not tighten down the screws full tight until you have also mount and screw in the port block on top.  When tightening screws use a criss-cross pattern to ensure even compression of the o-ring. 

- Leak check, (I used the air pressure, wait method).

EDIT: Corrected typos, added more detail. 

post edited by JLArmstrong - 2022/08/30 14:56:33
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102225
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2022/07/17 04:49:26 (permalink)
    JLArmstrong
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was also in the situation that I wanted to clean the build up out of a EVGA Hydro Copper 2080 block.  It is clear EVGA (or whatever 3rd party they comissioned) did not want or consider allowing users to disassembly and clean this block.  It is doable however.  Here is a brief outline:

- Remove the metal/aluminum by taking out the 7 screws. After removing the 7 screws, I used a small plastic prying tool near the top corner/angle near the 'mesh' since it is glued down slightly at that one spot.  Gentle release it with some care to avoid bending the metal piece, the metal cover hides the light strip and is cosmetic so keep it in good shape.

- Next remove the screws holding down the acrylic top cover (tinted). NOTE: there is one screw under the badge at the lower right corner, you do not need to remove this screw, you can swing the acrylic away to expose the hex head screws into the cold plate as needed, it will be clear when you get to this point.  You could also remove that badge (it is glued on) and take out that screw as well but I prefer to avoid that whenever possible, minimizes risk of damage or unsightly gouge marks. 

- There are 5 screws holding down the light strip, remove the them and free the light strip (you may also optionally disconnect the light strip, I left it attached)

- Using a razor blade or plastic pry tool (I used a plastic pry tool) you need to remove the black EVGA Hydro Copper badge at the top of the terminal/port block that covers the screws that mound the port block.  You will also need to remove the top plastic PCB (it is a pcb that is used for lighting), both are glued/stuck down so be gentle, the removal process should be such that enough glue/sticky stuff remains to remount them during reassembly.

- Remove the two screws that screw into the cold plate.

- Remove the all phillips screws and hex screws from acrylic to cold plate, the cold plate will fall away once all the screws are out.

- Gently remove the gasket and set aside

- Clean the block as desired.

- Re-assemble in the revers order, ensuring the gasket is well seated.

- Leak check, (I used the air pressure, wait method).

Thanks for posting this info

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

UndesiredSanity
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2022/07/18 07:42:30 (permalink)
    I wish EVGA sold the sticker that goes on top of the Inlet/Outlet block. Disassembling the Hydro Copper blocks, both 20 and 10 series, just for the water side is really easy and quick. You don't need to remove the PCB from the block. The hardest or most frustration part is removing the sticker/cover on top of the inlet/outlet block to gain access to the 4 screws underneath to remove it which you need a very thin razor blade or exacto knife to get the edge up and started. 
    JLArmstrong
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2022/08/30 14:58:03 (permalink)
    UndesiredSanity
    I wish EVGA sold the sticker that goes on top of the Inlet/Outlet block. Disassembling the Hydro Copper blocks, both 20 and 10 series, just for the water side is really easy and quick. You don't need to remove the PCB from the block. The hardest or most frustration part is removing the sticker/cover on top of the inlet/outlet block to gain access to the 4 screws underneath to remove it which you need a very thin razor blade or exacto knife to get the edge up and started. 

Indeed, removing that badge/cover on the top of the port block is the about the trickiest part of the entire ordeal, the rest is fairly easy. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21169
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: 2080 FTW3 ultra hydro copper cleaning 2022/08/31 03:53:17 (permalink)
    Sajin
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1618897-easiest-fastest-most-effective-way-clean-copper-cpu-gpu-water-block.html

That thread is full of awful advice for a modern expensive loop. RIP plating and warranty.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile