2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD

Author
OG_Grinskin
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/06 06:52:57 (permalink)
Hey There

So, two problems really, The past couple of weeks I noticed a small noise coming from the GPU, but assumed it was coil whine, but has been getting steadily worse, I find out the reason after having to remove my gpu because of the next issue.

Now the second issue comes along, Suddenly, on boot (windows 10, running latest update, 4790k, Asus z97 motherboard) , after posting, I just get a BSOD and a "Page fault in non paged area". Now, Ive reseated my ram, checked every driver is installed correctly, and everything else is fine, I use Display Driver Uninstaller to see if removing them and doing a fresh install will help, at first, Great, boots up, then, After installing the drivers again, the basic windows display driver that gets installed by windows manually, or the correct Nvidea drivers and when I reboot, the same blue screen happens. Then Use onboard motherboard graphics and I haver no issue at all.

So back to the Fan, when I remove the card and check it over, I notice the fan is wearing into the fan cable behind it, I've tried to push it out the way but theres no where for it to really go and still rubs. 

With all the Brexit issues, along with the current situation with GPU demand, I'm kinda apprehensive about letting the card go, as, If something goes wrong I'm kind of stuffed as I was made redundant due to Covid and don't really have a way of paying more for a card if I end up just getting a refund etc. 

Sorry for the lengthy text but, its a weird situation, and I'm really not sure where to go from here!

Many thanks,
Dan

10 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 09:12:33 (permalink)
    Regarding the bsod... Are you running xmp? Any oc on cpu?
    OG_Grinskin
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 09:17:00 (permalink)
    I'm running XMP, but no overclock, I'll give it a toggle and see what difference it makes.
    OG_Grinskin
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 09:44:32 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Regarding the bsod... Are you running xmp? Any oc on cpu?

So, turning off the XMP profile stops the BSOD. Any reasoning behind that at all, how do I go about fixing that?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 09:51:54 (permalink)
    Could be...

#1 Ram has become unstable at xmp speeds. To attempt to fix simply try increasing dram voltage.
    #2 Cpu imc has become unstable at xmp speeds. To attempt to fix simply try increasing imc voltage.
    OG_Grinskin
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 10:38:58 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Could be...

#1 Ram has become unstable at xmp speeds. To attempt to fix simply try increasing dram voltage.
    #2 Cpu imc has become unstable at xmp speeds. To attempt to fix simply try increasing imc voltage.

Thanks for the help, tried tinkering and ended up using Asus easy xmp and it's auto tune and it's fixed it. Also, the fan was hitting a small bur of rubber on a wire heatwrap that somehow had gotten worn down, managed to pick it off and it's not making contact now.

Thanks for the help, that's saved me a lot of hassle 👍
    OG_Grinskin
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 13:20:28 (permalink)
    OG_Grinskin
    Sajin
    Could be...

Thanks for the help, tried tinkering and ended up using Asus easy xmp and it's auto tune and it's fixed it. Also, the fan was hitting a small bur of rubber on a wire heatwrap that somehow had gotten worn down, managed to pick it off and it's not making contact now.

Thanks for the help, that's saved me a lot of hassle 👍

Okay, it's bone stock now, no xmp profile, no oc, nothing, and it's still happening. So, at this point, I don't know what's causing it, all I know is it doesn't happen with on board graphics =/

I'm truly stumped now
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 14:47:49 (permalink)
    If it only happens when you have the gpu installed into the pc then it could be faulty vram on the card.
    OG_Grinskin
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 15:21:28 (permalink)
    Sajin
    If it only happens when you have the gpu installed into the pc then it could be faulty vram on the card.

That makes sense. So may have to RMA my card after all. Will I get a like for like replacement? With the current problem with availability I'm worried that I'm gonna be given a refund, in which case, good luck to me being able to find the same card, at the same price.

Also, not sure if it's related, is over time, my gpu has been leaking oil from which I'm guessing is the thermal pads, so much so that it's managed to get its way onto the backplate and it quite noticeable.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 15:24:15 (permalink)
    Yes, you should get the same card back unless evga doesn’t have your card at the time. In that case you would be upgraded. Leaking pads isn’t a problem. Just needs to be cleaned up.
    OG_Grinskin
    Re: 2070 XC ultra Fan rubbing on wire and also BSOD 2021/04/06 18:52:32 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Yes, you should get the same card back unless evga doesn’t have your card at the time. In that case you would be upgraded. Leaking pads isn’t a problem. Just needs to be cleaned up.

Okay, I'll do a few more tests minus the card with XMP and triple check It's definitely the card at fault, but, yeah, I think it's destined for Germany, that's gonna be fun with brexit and the shipping 😅
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile