EVGA

2 EVGA E758 A!'s with Problems (FF Code & No Code)

Author
jrobinson156
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/06/15 12:01:50 (permalink)
Helllo, 

I purchased 2 used EVGA mobo's and I'm having problems with them. I originally sent them back to the original seller a few days ago but for whatever reason the packages bounced back after reaching their state so we're not disputing if it breaks the return policy or not. 

First Mobo

The first mobo post an FF code. I've looked at the FF guide and video but haven't had any luck. Thus far I've..
- Removed CMOS battery for a few hours
- Switched CMOS batteries from the other board
- Grounded and tested on cardboard
- Ensured that the pins were indeed connected (pushed down with force)
- Pushed down on bios card. I just removed it and will reinstall after a few minutes
etc.

I tested it with two CPU's, a brand new EVGA PSU and a used corsair PSU (both 650w), etc. I also cross tested all components by placing them in an Intel DX58SO in which everything starts fine. So I've eliminated them. 
Other things to note are that I currently have a stripped standoff/screw in one of the holes as I haven't yet found my pliers to remove it. Would that potentially cause a short? It also had a strong smell when I first started it last night. I immediately shut it off and after sniffing coffee beans to rest my nose this morning, I smelled different areas and compared it to the Intel. The 24 pin connector emits a strong smell as well as areas around the SATA inputs and RAM inputs. This makes me think that perhaps somebody improperly overclocked it? 

Second Mobo

The second mobo doesn't show an LED code period. Besides this it seems to be in the best shape of the three mobos. It doesn't emit any strong smells that I can pick up. I've checked for bent pins (did the same with the other mobo) and didn't detect any though I'll probably take pictures for the community to double check if you recommend it. Again, obviously it's not the PSU or anything like that. I'm hoping that it's bent pins but I've resigned myself to the fact that this one is likely gone. But i'm still confused about the one with the FF. 

Thanks for any and all advice. If there are details that would help better diagnose please just ask. 

3 Replies Related Threads

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: 2 EVGA E758 A!'s with Problems (FF Code & No Code) 2017/06/16 20:09:52 (permalink)
    so the first one goes to FF straight away with no other codes flashed? with the strong smell im thinking something gave up the ghost on the board. check real close all the small surface chips and capacitors, look for any charred looking ones or crusty goo around the capacitors. they leave a horrid smell when they go.
    second one sounds like a dead board.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 772
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: 2 EVGA E758 A!'s with Problems (FF Code & No Code) 2017/06/17 10:16:00 (permalink)
    FF means Fully Functional, so something (most likely video card) is not getting all it's requirements to display. I would try it with bare components only, like cpu, 1 ram stick & 1 video card.  

That is me in the picture, anyone else ever pet a live Lion?
    EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
    Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: 2 EVGA E758 A!'s with Problems (FF Code & No Code) 2017/06/18 08:37:27 (permalink)
    MhzManiac
    FF means Fully Functional, so something (most likely video card) is not getting all it's requirements to display. I would try it with bare components only, like cpu, 1 ram stick & 1 video card.  

unless it goes straight to it, then its a error.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile