EVGA

Helpful Reply10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help.

Author
larisagnia
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/27 23:51:07 (permalink)
So... Ive left everything stock for now after seeing things that should not be happening. Instability, (I don't think due to heat...), a ram stick not being detected with evga ROBOT OC if OC is too high, GPU with x1 program is a disaster, and cpu is ALL over the place. I really need some professional advice and help with this, as I am deeply worried now. Specs:
MOBO: x299 Dark (I did set TJunction in bios to 86)
CPU: 10980xe
GPU: 2080 TI Ftw3 Ultra
RAM: Trident Z w/ XMP Profile 1, 32 (4x8) 3200hz 16-18-18 (XMP  profile was always enabled in all these situations)
AIO: Evga 360 AIO (replaced fans w/Noctua)
Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic
PSU: T2 1600
Problem 1: When using EVGA robot OC, I got highest core being 01 5.2ghz/1.525 and lowest being 13 4.6ghz/1.25 (Ill take screenshot after this). All cores at 75 degrees C, or lower. Problem is, once I boot those settings, one of my ram sticks isn't recognized. Ive got 24 gigs of ram on boot. Red light on board. And... isn't 1.525 volts insane?

Problem 2: My own overclock (ratio clock) was set to 4.7ghz, 32vmesh, with 1.25 Vcore adaptive w/ -100 offset and 1.3 Vmesh w/ -100 offset. Prime95 test for an hour with this, 81 degrees C was highest I recorded. Passed cinebench everytime, and 3dmark. Spent 16 hours with these settings, playing games and using applications. Try prime 95 again: crash. Again: crash. Now I'm here. Why is this happening?

Problem 3: The gpu… I don't know if its x1 program or the gpu itself but wow, this has been terrible. Was able to max all the settings and set core to 175 in x1. Added 1000 to memory. Stable in 3dmark, games, no stuttering smooth. I go to test the the 4.7ghz manual overclock, worked once in 3dmark, then ever since downhill from there. Set core to 145, memory to 0, still crashed. Changed to DEFAULT settings, still crashed. Restarted and tested over and over until finally its stable with 4.7 manual cpu oc. GPU is at +91 clock, max voltage and power curve/temps. STILL gets stutters but was able to pass 3dmark multiple times with oc cpu. So, is this a decent gpu overclock? The stutters stopped, but come and go regardless of GPU OC or not.  After any change, and after every test, I restarted the pc.

Problem 4: Just trying to find the best overclock for the 10980xe... and I need help. Ive tried to include everything I noticed while testing these past 24 hours.

Cinebench score: (4.7 manual better than 4.8 robot OC) 10533
3dmark Time Spy score: GPU: 15562 CPU: 12551 Max 15021. (3 stutters, have no clue how I could get this but a non overclock gpu would crash othertimes). 

PHOTOS: Ive got an imgur link but ah... I cant post links til my 30th post. 
post edited by larisagnia - 2019/12/27 23:57:24
larisagnia
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2019/12/27 23:54:56 (permalink)
xarot
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2019/12/28 00:01:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby larisagnia 2019/12/28 00:02:56
I don't have this CPU but from my experience with older similar SK-X (7800X, 7900X, 7980XE, W-3175X) do not exceed the cache over x30. Also I think I you may need over 1.3 V for x32 cache, which will probably kill you CPU in the long run. Try to stay under 1.15 V for the cache.

Also, what I would do, is not to oc both at the same time. Do the core first, and once you are stable (for days), try then upping the cache to see what works. 1 hour of Prime may not yet reveal cache instability...I do not exactly recall now which FFT size it was but I think when I ran some spcific FFTs that would reveal cache instability very quickly. Good luck :)

Core i9 7980XE, Rockit Cool nickel IHS on water
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200
PALIT RTX2080TI on EK block
Custom Water Cooling with 360+480 radiators + D5 pump
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Corsair AX1500i
Intel 750 1.2 TB PCIe
Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB
Win 10
larisagnia
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2019/12/28 00:07:23 (permalink)
xarot
I don't have this CPU but from my experience with older similar SK-X (7800X, 7900X, 7980XE, W-3175X) do not exceed the cache over x30. Also I think I you may need over 1.3 V for x32 cache, which will probably kill you CPU in the long run. Try to stay under 1.15 V for the cache.

Also, what I would do, is not to oc both at the same time. Do the core first, and once you are stable (for days), try then upping the cache to see what works. 1 hour of Prime may not yet reveal cache instability...I do not exactly recall now which FFT size it was but I think when I ran some spcific FFTs that would reveal cache instability very quickly. Good luck :)

Helpful, alas doesn't answer all my problems. I thought Vmesh was very easy to overclock and very stable, with almost no extra heat output. 32 Being the sweetspot. I will default the vmesh and auto the voltage for it until AFTER getting stable Vcore. Ty. Still need more insight though from others.
jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2019/12/28 13:07:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby larisagnia 2019/12/28 14:31:42
Let me see if I can help you out... try to address each of the issues individually and give you my thoughts...
  • Problem 1;
    • I would not suggest using the EVGA OC Robot tool... IMO generally speaking I feel that there is just too much variation from "system" to "system" for any tool like this to really be effective. My experience specifically with the the EVGA OC Robot has been that it sets the core frequency and voltage way too high. In addition I have found that the CPU stress test that it uses is just not effective for multiple reasons... Case in point an overclock on that CPU, even with it being a single core, at 5.2Ghz with 1.525v is crazy high. Generally speaking the max vcore voltage that you should be pushing under an ambient cooling solution is probably around 1.4v to 1.45v. Not surprised at all to here that one of the RAM sticks is not recognized when running this overclock the CPU frequency is too high and the voltage is too high.
      • Solution; Easy way to fix this issue is dont use the EVGA OC Robot, ever. 
  • Problem 2a;
    • Simple answer your overclock is not stable. For initial overclocking I would not suggest using any adaptive settings within the BIOS. Adaptive voltage settings can make it very challenging to dial in an overclock it is better to use "override" or "static" settings. Once you have established a stable overclock for your system than you can circle back around to using adaptive settings. 
      • Solution; Disable all power savings settings and use "override" or "static" voltage settings.
  • Problem 2b;
    • Prime95 and Cinebench are not the best applications for testing CPU stability. Prime95 in-particular applies a un-realistic workload to the CPU, especially when running AVX loads on the processor. From the testing that I have done OCCT seems to apply loads that are far more representative of actual real world workloads from applications such as games, Blender, Handbrake, etc. The inability to control AVX instructions with Cinebench's really restricts this application to being nothing more than a performance benchmark tool.
      • Solution; Dont use Prime95 or Cinebench for CPU stability testing. Instead I would suggest purchasing OCCT,  https://www.ocbase.com/.
  • Problem 3;
    • If your CPU is not stable, which its not, than the system as a whole including the GPU will also show instability issues. 
      • Solution; Overclock the CPU or the GPU, but not both at the same time and certainly dont overclock the GPU when the CPU is not stable.
If I have time I will post up some more information... but I would start by doing some additional research online regarding overclocking. 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

larisagnia
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2019/12/28 15:06:46 (permalink)
The above post is very informative and is probably the answer. Everyone says this and that, use prime95 etc, but I not everyone is using such high end components and I would presume, I would have to find those who really know their stuff such as the above post. I will try to follow you're advice and see what happens, probably buy OCCT too! Ty :). Ill study up more on overclocking manually. Just gotta decide if Ill do per core or all core...
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2019/12/28 15:31:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby larisagnia 2019/12/30 21:06:05

EVGA X299 DARK Overclocking Guide---> link   https://xdevs.com/guide/e299ocg/

larisagnia

PHOTOS: Ive got an imgur link but ah... I cant post links til my 30th post. 

Plenty of opportunities to increase your post count in this part of the EVGA Forums:  General Discussion

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2019/12/30 18:52:48 (permalink)
I am a bit late here. As noted above, OC Robot is interesting to look at but do not use to set your OC. For GPU (I have and EVGA 1080ti FTW3 on water) I only installed the EVGA software long enough to update GPU firmware and then uninstalled it - Use MSI Afterburner. Sajin has an excellent guide here -  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2820280

From your initial post I do recommend on vcore and vmesh using override instead of adaptive

I will attach a screenshot, mind you this is on a delided 7940X with LM on a custom loop - you voltages will differ slightly. But has been running these settings for the past year+

Do all of your OC settings directly in the bios, do not use anything for tweaking you settings within windows
post edited by GGTV-Jon - 2019/12/30 19:00:43

Attached Image(s)

MaddMutt
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2020/01/05 13:57:23 (permalink)
I have to give Cool GTX a BIG +1 on his help :)
I also do not have your CPU but have Benched (Set CPU/MB/Mem for all out speed) the i9-7900x (ES) and the i9-9820x. I have the i9-10940x ordered and waiting for shipment but I can give you some general help.
I recommend HWInfo64 and Core Temp (both are free!!) to keep an EYE on the temps :) You can also use CPU-Z (also free!!) to give you a quick (real-time) reading of CPU speed/voltage/multi & Memory speed/timings/mesh speed and some other things. Download EVGA's E-Leet software for real-time OC without having to reboot computer.
I would start with your CPU and set the Multi/Voltage to AUTO. I would also change the Mesh Ratio/Voltage to Auto. (On the older CPU's this is 26)
Boot into Windows and run HWInfo to give you a temp reading. This is a HUGH list of all temp readings from your CPU/MB/GPU/HDD/SSD/Ect..Ect.. Core Temp lists only your CPU temps.
Both will show you what your CURRENT temp and MAX temp are PER CORE.
Run your program - Prime 95 or Cinebench 20 - and you will see your temperatures rise. If you wish long term stability - make sure that the temperature never goes over 90c.
You can raise the CPU speed higher (E-Leet) until you get close to what YOU wish the temp of the CPU to be. An extra 100MHz on you hottest cores can add up to +8c. This will also let you know which of your CPU cores are running cooler. You can increase these to run faster.
Once you have the speed of your CPU dialed in, you can move to the Mesh Ratio. This also adds additional HEAT to your overall CPU output. I have been able to run my x299 at a Mesh Ratio of 30 and a Memory Speed of 4000 @ 14-14-14-28 (TeamGroup DDR4-4133).
You should be able to set the Mesh Ratio to 28 or 30 and only incur an extra ~2c-4c increase in heat.
If you wish to see how this affects your overall memory speed, you can download AIDA64 and run the memory test (<-This is also free)
Now that you have the CPU/MB setup, you can move to the Video Card. <- BE WARNED -> EVGA's Video Overclocking software does not let EVGA's MB Overclocking software to work :( The Standard Video Overclocking Software is MSI's AfterBurner OCing software. If you wish to use EVGA's Video software & E-Leet .. That is another POST/Help Request.

The LOST MEMORY STICK.... -> Remove your memory and carefully clean the Memory slots with a pipe cleaner. Clean the tips (the part that goes inside the memory slots) with a paper towel and 70% alcohol (90% is preferred as it has less added chemicals). Remove the memory sticks and switch the arrangement of the memory sticks.
Is that Memory Stick still BAD or is it the Memory Slot??
Is that Memory Rated as a Quad (x4) or Dual (x2) Channel??
^ I RE - RE - reRead your BIOS picture and you have LOST that Memory because of :
1:The Mesh Ratio is too high for that CPU (I can't run that fast!!)
2:The Mesh Ratio needs more Voltage. Increasing you mesh from 30 - 32 will get your standard web page to open .0001%  faster :-) Unless you are chasing the last ~300-500 Points in Cinebench  20...WHY. It will not make your games faster = Better Video Card.
* The Video Card Stuttering can be - The CPU is overheating and having to Throttle (taking a break) or The GPU is overheating and having to Throttle. When you OVERCLOCK Stability goes out the WINDOW.

Thank You For Your Time

- General George S. Patton Quotes“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.”

“You’re never beaten until you admit it.”
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.
Monstieur
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: 10980xe w/ x299 dark having a hard time, may need help. 2020/02/03 22:15:44 (permalink)
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/evg2i0/everyone_ocs_x299_wrong/
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile