EVGA

1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue?

Author
sethleigh
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 796
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2021/12/20 10:15:47 (permalink)
My EVGA 1080ti FE's blower fan is stuck at 100% speed and it's simply intolerable. Is this a hardware issue where something on the card has failed, or is there some driver or software issue that might be resolved? Anyone dealt with this before?

I got a 1080ti FE back in 2017 and the blower was working fine, ramping up and down as necessary. I got a water block for it and converted it to water cooling shortly thereafter, and used it that way until very recently when I replaced it in my main machine with a 3080ti FTW3.

I'm putting the 1080ti FE into a secondary machine that is air cooled, so last night I carefully removed the water block and replaced the original blower and housing, which I had preserved back in 2017 for just this kind of eventuality.

Upon firing up the machine with the now air-cooled 1080ti FE, the blower went to 100% instantly upon powering up the machine, and stays at 100% regardless of anything I've tried. I downloaded Precision X1 and it showed the blower topped out at something like 5k RPM, and Precision X1 actually shows the percentage of fan speed that it believes it's telling the blower to be at, which is simply ignored.

When I originally converted the card to water cooling, and again last night I worked slowly, methodically, and took great care when unplugging and plugging the two connectors from the housing to the PCB itself. I'm pretty darn sure I didn't stretch the wires, mishandle the connector ends, tweak the PCB headers, etc.

The card itself actually still works fine as a GPU, and the temperatures reported in Precision X1 while it idles are literally just above ambient.

Is it possible that something in the card having to do with fan control burnt out during the four years this card was my daily driver while it was water cooled, and I simply never noticed because the fans weren't being used?

I haven't tried disassembling the card and reassembling it again after removing and replacing the connectors, just to be sure. I'm going to do that later this morning, but anyone familiar with that generation of card knows it had like seven thousand different screws and I'm dreading having to do all that again.

I'm hoping this is a known issue with that generation of FE card. I realize all these cards came from NVidia and EVGA was just a reseller here, but I did get this from EVGA.

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

10 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30969
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/20 11:16:48 (permalink)
    Does seem odd, at least the fan is running - seems it is not wires or header issue -

I'm thinking these are not PWM fans - they use Voltage to control speed  edit correction it is a PWM fan

Just max the case fans & you'll never hear it

Fast Boot turned off in BIOS ?
    Fast Startup in W10 turned off ?

Did you reinstall the GPU driver when you added the "new - old card" to your test Rig ?

Have you tried removing & reinstalling your OC software ?  which Version ?

X1 - the fan profile, check the check box "Fan Curve Control" - is highlighted or are you using "automatic" fan control ?

edit correction: Fan is PWM
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2021/12/20 14:46:21

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/20 13:13:29 (permalink)
    @Cool GTX, I'll go back and double-check all of those things.

The motherboard in that secondary machine used to be my main machine until earlier this year and had OC tweaks and whatnot setup in the BIOS. It's an X99 FTW K btw, and the CPU is a Core i7 6900 (8C/16T from the 2016 era). I reset the BIOS to all default settings as part of this, then re-enabled XMP and the appropriate CSM and UEFI settings to enable me to install Windows onto the NVMe drive. So the Windows 10 installation was performed after resetting the BIOS to defaults and then just enabling XMP and the CSM/UEFI stuff. It's a fresh installation because this is now a "new" machine and needs its own Windows license.

Since it was a fresh Windows installation I didn't have any OC tools running. I had to download Precision X1 and install it so I could look at what Precision X1 thinks the card is doing. What strikes me is that Precision X1 reports the fan as a percentage, fairly low, when in fact it's running at 100% full time. I can change fan control off Auto to manual and drag the slider around to different percentages and it changes nothing.

I'm going to go into the BIOS and check the Fast Boot setting. I presume Fast Startup in Windows is enabled if it's default because I haven't changed anything.

I'll look in Precision X1 to see if there's some option to reset the card to default settings. The card was run for around four years under water cooling, so whatever settings there are on the card that may relate to fan control were simply ignored that whole time, but the blower had been running fine under automatic control during the brief period four years ago before my water block showed up and I converted it.

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/20 13:47:06 (permalink)
    Ok Fast Boot in the bios was off, changed it to ON. No change.
    Ensured Fan Curve Control was selected in Precision X1, applied, no change.
    Disconnected and reconnected power cables to the card, no change.

I'm about to remove and reseat the card itself.

Assuming that fails to change this, I'm going to have to disassemble and reassemble the card again, double-checking the two headers to ensure they're installed fully and with the headers in the proper orientation. I did the initial disassembly and conversion to water-cooling extremely slowly and carefully, and treated it the same way while reconverting it back to the original FE blower housing. I'll do it again.

I'm convinced it has to be something hardware, since it goes to 100% fan speed as soon as the machine powers up, before it even goes into Windows, and never drops to any lower speed even while Windows is loading, once it's booted up, etc. It's like the fan is getting the full 12V constantly. It has me worried that perhaps the voltage controller in the fan section of the PCB has malfunctioned or burned out or something, though I can't imagine why since a fan wasn't even used these past four years.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/20 14:15:43 (permalink)
    sethleigh
    Ok Fast Boot in the bios was off, changed it to ON. No change.
    Ensured Fan Curve Control was selected in Precision X1, applied, no change.
    Disconnected and reconnected power cables to the card, no change.

I'm about to remove and reseat the card itself.

Assuming that fails to change this, I'm going to have to disassemble and reassemble the card again, double-checking the two headers to ensure they're installed fully and with the headers in the proper orientation. I did the initial disassembly and conversion to water-cooling extremely slowly and carefully, and treated it the same way while reconverting it back to the original FE blower housing. I'll do it again.

I'm convinced it has to be something hardware, since it goes to 100% fan speed as soon as the machine powers up, before it even goes into Windows, and never drops to any lower speed even while Windows is loading, once it's booted up, etc. It's like the fan is getting the full 12V constantly. It has me worried that perhaps the voltage controller in the fan section of the PCB has malfunctioned or burned out or something, though I can't imagine why since a fan wasn't even used these past four years.

I've got a 1080 Ti FE that I stuck a hybrid on. I'm also running a X99 FTW K. Just to shorten your TS... I've never had any fan control issues regardless of any OS version or motherboard settings.
    The PWM cooling fan with the Hybrid kit runs off the blower header on the GPU. So I'd expect if I had to go back to the blower, it would still function as the PWM cooling fan for the hybrid kit uses the same header. BTW the drive FET for the fan itself could have failed. A replacement fan might work.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/12/20 14:22:25

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30969
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/20 14:50:12 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi

I've got a 1080 Ti FE that I stuck a hybrid on. I'm also running a X99 FTW K. Just to shorten your TS... I've never had any fan control issues regardless of any OS version or motherboard settings.
    The PWM cooling fan with the Hybrid kit runs off the blower header on the GPU. So I'd expect if I had to go back to the blower, it would still function as the PWM cooling fan for the hybrid kit uses the same header. BTW the drive FET for the fan itself could have failed. A replacement fan might work.

Good Catch ...

I found an article mentioning the Are indeed PWM

NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU & FET Temperatures

(excerpt)
    challenging to keep a GPU cool as it used to be, and this leads to lower fan RPMs (controlled via PWM from the GPU), resulting in warmer FETs. We test the whole solution.

So, it could be - a bad signal wire or connection for the PWM signal.   When there is no signal 100% fan is normal for a PWM fan

What is PWM and how does it work?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/20 17:09:49 (permalink)
    I disassembled the card, scrutinized both the PWM header on the pcb and the connector on the wires and there was no obvious damage or anything wrong. I looked at all the components on the PCB and there were no parts where the magic smoke had obviously been released. Reassembled and carefully reseated, after blowing out the PCI-E slot connector with canned air, etc. No change. Fan still runs 5300-5500 RPM, which I assume is 100%. Still loud as a jet engine.

Yes, I've read before that the default for a PWM fan that's not receiving the control signal is for it to run at 100%. Could well be the case here that the PWM controller on this card has given up the ghost.

I'm going to open up a trouble ticket and see what they say.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/20 17:24:02 (permalink)
    sethleigh
    I disassembled the card, scrutinized both the PWM header on the pcb and the connector on the wires and there was no obvious damage or anything wrong. I looked at all the components on the PCB and there were no parts where the magic smoke had obviously been released. Reassembled and carefully reseated, after blowing out the PCI-E slot connector with canned air, etc. No change. Fan still runs 5300-5500 RPM, which I assume is 100%. Still loud as a jet engine.

Yes, I've read before that the default for a PWM fan that's not receiving the control signal is for it to run at 100%. Could well be the case here that the PWM controller on this card has given up the ghost.

I'm going to open up a trouble ticket and see what they say.

Also, as I indicated, the fan itself has a FET controller on it. It is possible that it has failed. If you have another blower card, I believe they've used the same blower fan since the 500 series on the top end models.

Whoops as I read my own post back, I see I was not clear that there is also an active component on the fan that could have failed that would result in the same indication of 100% fan speed.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/12/20 17:26:05

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/23 07:28:43 (permalink)
    I appreciate all the replies. I didn't try replacing the blower. As it turns out, when I got the card I'd paid extra for a five-year extended warranty. I submitted a support ticket, described all the symptoms and the steps I'd attempted to resolve it, including the fact that I'd disassembled and reassembled it, and the EVGA support engineer said it appeared something on the card was faulty and recommended that I return it for warranty repair or replacement. The RMA was approved, and as of yesterday morning the card is already in the mail back to EVGA. The secondary machine the 1080ti is destined for got my old EVGA GTX 960 as a temp, which I'm glad is still running.

This, folks, is another example of why I only buy EVGA graphics cards and have done since at least the early 2000s, and like to buy other EVGA products like power supplies and motherboards when feasible. The secondary machine is an x99 FTW K board, Supernova G2 850W PSU, and that 1080ti FE. My current primary machine uses the Supernova G6 850W and the 3080ti FTW3. It only uses a Gigabyte motherboard because EVGA's x570 board wasn't out yet. I got the 3080ti FTW3 through the Newegg Shuffle, and I really lucked out getting selected, too: I only submitted for EVGA cards, and they don't offer those in the Shuffle every day, and when they do it's usually one or two things, with the rest being MSI, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc.

So yeah, thanks to you guys for the help, and thanks to EVGA for still being a company I very much prefer to do business with.
    post edited by sethleigh - 2021/12/23 07:41:24

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21169
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2021/12/23 09:13:49 (permalink)
    As stated, it's likely the FET in the fan that blew, or the PWM driver (some sort of FET too probably) on the card that blew. Either way, a warranty replacement will take care of you.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

latenightlexi
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 0
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: 1080ti FE blower stuck at 100%, hardware failure or software issue? 2022/01/10 07:55:24 (permalink)
    Get some headphones in and you won’t hear a thing
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile