EVGA

1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?)

Author
DamonLynch
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 172
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/05/22 09:49:58 (permalink)
I have two 1080 Ti SC2. I also have two hybrid coolers from EVGA, which I installed myself. Both are experiencing a serious problem where they make a roaring noise whose volume rises and falls in a repeating pattern.  It's hard to describe — but it's super annoying when it's your personal PC! The noise from one of the two progressively worsened to such an extent that I needed to remove the hybrid cooler; now the second unit seems to be experiencing the same problem.

Is it possible to perform some kind of maintenance on the closed loop cooler (CLC) to fix the problem? Alternatively, does anyone have a contact at Asetek that can sell the CLC itself to replace the part? EVGA does not sell any parts for the units, unfortunately. That undermines my confidence in EVGA's commitment to the units. If the pumps are the weak link in the system's reliability, why not keep replacement parts in stock for them?

When I shake the radiators, I can hear the liquid sloshing about inside. Is that normal?

And before anyone asks, installation was according to the instructions — the radiator was always above the graphics cards. Initially I had one radiator mounted horizontally, and the other vertically at the case's top-back outlet (tubes at the bottom). Curiously, several weeks back ago I moved the vertically mounted radiator to join the other radiator at the top of the case, so they were both mounted horizontally. The noise then completely disappeared for a week or so, only to come back more loudly than ever.

Finally, I've been running both GPU 24/7, typically at 70% power load. Whether running them continuously contributed to the problem, I have no idea.

22 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 10:01:19 (permalink)
    Are your hybrid(s) still under Warranty ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 10:03:06 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    is your hybrids still under Warranty ?

Three months past the warranty expiration, unfortunately!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 10:38:35 (permalink)
    Sounds like it may be time to get a G12 bracket... https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-black
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 10:48:11 (permalink)

To ask about Asetek and help us answer any Asetek related questions

Here is a Point of Contact  Asetek_Dennis   

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2957406

EVGA_JacobF
    You guys may have seen "I'M Hit" around as the EVGA Gaming news reporter and liquid cooling discussions from back in the day. He is now a part of Asetek and will be here to help us answer any Asetek related questions!

Also introducing Asetek_Dennis, technology Evangelist from Asetek who is also here to assist where needed.

Help me to give both of them a warm welcome to the EVGA forums and don't feel shy to reach out if you have any questions!! 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 11:09:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Sajin and Cool GTX. I didn't know about the Kraken products.

Perhaps this thread is better placed in the EVGA CLC/HYBRID Coolers forum? If so can a mod please move it?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 11:11:47 (permalink)
    OK, You are Correct - I will move it for you

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 11:41:59 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

I think it was moved to the wrong forum board
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 12:06:51 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    Cool GTX

I think it was moved to the wrong forum board

Bad mouse.... bad mouse .... clicked the wrong box

time for more Coffee

Actually there is a Glitch currently ... I do Not have the ability to move your post to that section (I've made a ticket)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 12:40:01 (permalink)
    I'll move it to the correct subsection.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 12:43:48 (permalink)
    controls were fixed

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 12:47:16 (permalink)
    Remember that for the GTX Hybrid Kits that the Pump will work on any EVGA GTX 10 Series Graphics Card.
    But be carful where you find one $300 is a little dumb https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07662S6GL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Newegg $800+ https://www.newegg.com/p/2BJ-005D-00002?Item=9SIA9SC7EK1378&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-Autosupplies-_-Fans%20%26%20Related-_-9SIA9SC7EK1378&gclid=CjwKCAjw5pPnBRBJEiwAULZKvqPmUhj8RipM6yoW4lF6uh3mYLdJfzfEcFNpW5IWYYHn5_tfUoDE3hoC364QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    International Seller Be Carful of this.
    You can sign up for Auto Notify (B-Stock)
    https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-RX 
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/05/22 12:56:26

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 13:09:29 (permalink)
    I would PM the EVGA Point of Contact  Asetek_Dennis 

see what support, advise or parts might be available

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 13:22:30 (permalink)
    I would also wonder about air. For the radiator is the cables at the top or the bottom? Best way to have it is above the card and the tubes coming off the bottom of the radiator instead of the top. That way if any air exists in the setup it will rest at the top of the radiator while the tubes are filled with liquid. You can even if you want to hold the radiator outside the case to help insure that any air goes to the top of the radiator. Just watch out for fans and be careful when you turn off the system and mount the radiator to keep the radiator so air Is trapped at the high point instead of entering the tubes.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2019/05/22 13:24:39

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 13:42:28 (permalink)
    Check for the cooler of the two hoses or Contact EVGA CS -- to confirm your GPU would also be like this

Worth Noting on the FTW3 Hybrid mounting - the suction (pump Intake) hose can be the only hose at the bottom of radiator

Asetek Im Hit!
    ASETEK Representative
    • Total Posts : 2401
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 18:57:02 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Hey Cool GTX
    Noise issues on hybrid cards have been reported a few times on the EVGA forums. Myself or Dennis will PM you soon.  We may need to work with EVGA to find out the root of the issue. Many apologies for the inconvenience. We build. We game and work on our PCs. We know; #acousticsmatter

10900K | ROG Z490-Deluxe | 16Gb GSkillz.  3600MHz | EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3 | 34in AOC Ultrawide 144Hz Monitor @3440x1440  
    Check us out at www.asetek.com
    Read what we're doing at www.coolnation.com
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 19:04:13 (permalink)
    Asetek Im Hit!
    Cool GTX

Hey Cool GTX
    Noise issues on hybrid cards have been reported a few times on the EVGA forums. Myself or Dennis will PM you soon.  We may need to work with EVGA to find out the root of the issue. Many apologies for the inconvenience. We build. We game and work on our PCs. We know; #acousticsmatter

It is the OP ..... DamonLynch --> that is having the Noise issue ... see Post 1

My two are Working as expected

Asetek Im Hit!
    ASETEK Representative
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/22 19:23:46 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Asetek Im Hit!
    Cool GTX

Hey Cool GTX

It is the OP ..... DamonLynch --> that is having the Noise issue ... see Post 1

My two are Working as expected

Yup. Thanks. 
    I PM'd DamonLynch.

10900K | ROG Z490-Deluxe | 16Gb GSkillz.  3600MHz | EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3 | 34in AOC Ultrawide 144Hz Monitor @3440x1440  
    Asetek_Dennis
    ASETEK Representative
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/23 00:39:05 (permalink)
    Hi Damon,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Pesky timezones... CET! 

I saw that Shawn (Asetek I'm Hit) might've already adressed this. 
    To address a couple of your initial points:
    • Some slushing is to be expected - however it shouldn't be too much
    • Do you have a recording of the sound they make? I'd be interested to hear what sound they're making.
    But I totally get your frustration over any non-expected sounds. I hate that scenario myself. 
    Shawn is in the US, so your timezones might align, and we'll do our very best to find a solution :)
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/23 16:47:56 (permalink)
    Asetek_Dennis
    • Do you have a recording of the sound they make? I'd be interested to hear what sound they're making.

Hi Dennis and Shawn,

Thank you very much for your prompt attention. I was away from my computer today and unable to respond until just now. I have created an audio recording:

https://damonlynch.net/sh...80ti-noise-problem.mp3

Some notes to go with the recording:
    1. I removed the case's side panel and placed the microphone right beside the GPU itself, close to the tubes without touching them.
    2. There are 2x 1080 Ti in the system, but only one has the hybrid cooler as I had to remove the other hybrid cooler one due to excessive noise, whose noise like this recording but with a louder roaring sound. The radiator is mounted vertically above the GPU with both tubes at the bottom (i.e. the radiator is in the back-top of the case). But if the radiator was mounted horizontally at the top of the case it would make no difference.
    3. During this test, both GPUs are idle; the GPU with the regular EVGA double fan setup has its fans powered off due to being idle.
    4. Another way to test would have been to place the mic on the other side of the room. It would have still picked up the roaring sound. I can do that if it would help.
    5. The sound to listen out for is the roaring sound, which comes and goes at approximately 15 second intervals (roughly). You can hear it from a few seconds in. Outside of this recording, the roaring sound might disappear for a minute and then reappear more regularly than the 15 sec repeating pattern during another minute.
    6. Of all the GPU sounds, the roaring sound carries most clearly outside of the case. For instance, the sound of the liquid moving in the tubing is not audible outside of the case.
    7. I have confirmed the noise is not from the Noctua CPU fan or the Fractal Design case fans. Those fans are really pretty quiet.
    8. The roaring noise pattern starts immediately as soon as the PC is powered on, before getting past the BIOS.
    If you have any questions please let me know.

Damon

Edit: I added the link to the recording
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/26 11:11:01 (permalink)
    Overnight the surviving GPU hybrid cooler died. The pump noise became constant and very loud, and the GPU temperature was in the low 90s. I don't know how long the temps were that high for, because it happened at night. Hopefully the GPU has not had its lifespan affected too much. The noise woke me up while I was asleep in another room
    Asetek Im Hit!
    ASETEK Representative
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/05/27 16:37:58 (permalink)
    Hey Damon
    We're poles up for Computex this week. But we will jump back on this post-show.

Have a great week, Community!

Thanks!

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 1080Ti Hybrid cooler maintenance (or replacement CLC?) 2019/06/20 15:27:31 (permalink)
    Hi Shawn and / or Dennis,

Is there any update to report regarding this issue with the two hybrid coolers I've had?

Thanks.

Damon
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile