1080Ti FE Hybrid Kit Power Connector

Author
Shad0wlife
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/05/24 08:01:52 (permalink)
Hello everyone!

I just purchased a 1080Ti FE Hybrid Kit and I'm a bit interested in the connectors and the power draw of the pump/rad fan.
Could I put the pump in a mainboard CPU (PWM) Fan connector where it will get constant 12V, so it doesn't draw off my somewhat limited 300W of the card?
By that I mean:
1st: is the plug on the pump the correct one to plug into the mainboard?
2nd: how high is the pump power draw (will my mainboard be able to feed it with a cpu header)?
          EDIT: I'm thinking about buying a Corsair Commander Pro fan controller so I can control all my other case fans properly too. Power output per connector should still be the same as a cpu header or so, but anyways, would this work too?
3rd: If the shroud fan is controlled by core temp, will it still spin fast enough to properly cool the vrms or will I have to do major changes to the fan curve?
4th: If above ideas work, is it ok warranty wise to do so?

Any experience or information is appreciated!

-Shad0wlife
post edited by Shad0wlife - 2017/05/24 09:07:47

5 Replies Related Threads

chap34
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 207
    Re: 1080Ti FE Hybrid Kit Power Connector 2017/05/24 09:53:29 (permalink)
    The VRMS don't take much to stay within operating range.

The pump cable is very short, it is likely you would have to buy an adapter for it to actually reach your motherboard. As for the connector they use for the pump, I cant remember if it was a normal 3 pin fan or if it was proprietary(I could be wrong, but I think it is).

Changing placement of your fan power should not void the warranty.  Many people change the rad fan out and run it off the MB or a fan controller.

Quad5Ny
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 401
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 1080Ti FE Hybrid Kit Power Connector 2017/05/24 11:45:15 (permalink)
    Yes the pump and fan should be drawing from the power limit as the current draw is measured at the +12V inputs (current sense chip monitors the 2x PCIe cables and the PCIe slot).

Pump and fan both have their wattage printed on the stickers. They're about 7.7W together if I remember correctly (pump drawing 7.5W of that).

Both the pump and fan both run at full speed all the time.

The blower fan for the VRM's is controlled by the card. The other stuff; pump/fan steal the +12V from that fan connector.

If you want to connect the pump/fan elsewhere your options are:
    • Leave pump connected to card and connect the fan to MB header (IMO pointless as the pump draws most of the power).
    • Use a different pump that gets connected to the MB/PS and only grab (I.e. Unscrew) the adapter plate from the one that comes in the EVGA box.
    • Make/buy adapter cables to connect the pump/fan to the MB/PS.
    • Make a adapter for only the fan that steals the PWM signal from the GPU. -- This will give you software control (30%-100%) of whatever PWM fan you attach. -- Also somewhat pointless, but does have some advantages.
    • Desolder the stock cables and solder your own (the pads aren't too small and you can even add a tachometer wire), then connect it to your MB/PS
    • Solder stock power input cable directly to the 8pin +12V and GND. -- Risky for the card but then you can tuck the cable inside the shroud. I SERIOUSLY don't recommend this one.
    Note: With any of these you can replace the fan too. Keep in mind that the default pump connector is 2-pin (no PWM or Tach.).

Any soldering done to the pump or card will void EVGA's warranty! Anything that doesn't involve soldering or connecting crap the wrong way is fine provided you can return the items to stock condition before doing a RMA.
    post edited by Quad5Ny - 2017/05/24 11:58:22
    Shad0wlife
    Re: 1080Ti FE Hybrid Kit Power Connector 2017/05/24 14:21:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies!
    So, is the 2-pin plug of the pump basically a fan connector with only 2 pins and in that case could be run off a pwm header too?
    I will definitely try and run the fan off somewhere else as normal fans definitely need more than 0.2W. A normal PWM fan I had at work a while ago had ~0.25 Amps at 12V, so that would draw about 3W.
    Quad5Ny
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 401
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 1080Ti FE Hybrid Kit Power Connector 2017/05/24 15:51:14 (permalink)
    Yup the pump takes plain old 12V from the GPU fan header and then splits it off to another wire for the included fan.

You sure about the fan drawing 3W? I only have a NF-F12 PWM in front of me so I can't recheck the EVGA fan, but the Noctua one is rated at 12V 0.05A (or 0.6W). Surely other fans draw around the same 1W-ish?

Keep in mind that if you do connect it to the card you can totally increase the power limit to compensate for the extra draw from the pump/fan.
    Shad0wlife
    Re: 1080Ti FE Hybrid Kit Power Connector 2017/05/24 15:57:08 (permalink)
    The one I had at work was an Arctic F12 PWM I think. I'll look up the power draw anyways.

EDIT: Ok, seems like you are right. I was thinking about a Corsair ML120 fan and they draw 0.3 Amps max (2400 rpm, won't actually use it that fast though). So that is ok-ish I guess. Still want to properly control them and not just have them spinning at max speed.
    Thanks for your help!
    post edited by Shad0wlife - 2017/05/24 15:59:45
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile