Author
rmmil978
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 446
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2017/05/23 11:06:07 (permalink)
Greetings!

I had originally purchased a Ti Founders Edition and bought the Hybrid kit along with it.  After mistakes were made, probably mine, I completed the installation and my card would just not power on, regardless of what I tried to do.  I RMA'ed the card and returned the kit, not wanting to try to build it again, and destroy it...again.  My replacement Founders Ti will soon go up for sale, because I still REALLY wanted the Hybrid for this particular PC build.

So, rather than test fate again, I purchased the 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid.  I finished the install, and just as others have noticed with the Hybrid kit, the SC2 Hybrid is the real deal.  This card is installed in a smaller case with limited airflow.  In benchmarks or gaming I see a max of around 45 C, that's crazy!  I haven't tried overclocking it as of yet, but my assumption is that there is a lot of headroom left in this thing!  Default in benchmarks the GPU core jumps up to around 1860-1950 Mhz, so it is not wound as tightly as the FTW3 is (FTW3 defaults to 1987 Mhz for me).  It is QUIET, no pump noise that I can detect, maybe a little coil whine when benchmarks push FPS past 500, but it is barely audible and can't be detected when my ears are further than 12" from the PC case it is installed in.  I did notice some weird artifacts when I first tried the Superposition Benchmark out, but after the 1st run they went away. 

I am not sure how many out there have purchased this particular model, so if there are any questions, feel free to ask!

P.S->  I have now owned a EVGA Founders, FTW3 (in a different computer with a lot of air flow), and SC2 Hybrid during this generation of cards, me likey the 1080 Ti!!

RIG #1                                   

i7-7700K (Stock, 4.2 GHZ)             
Gigabyte Gaming - 8
EVGA GTX 1080 TI FE           
32 GB RAM @ 3000 Mhz       
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=73018

7 Replies Related Threads

cyberdimensions
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 376
    Re: 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Initial Thoughts 2017/05/23 20:29:56 (permalink)
    I too am a complete believer in Hybrid kits.  For whatever generation card I will buy next, I am going to wait for a Hybrid model.  I have 2 1080Ti FE's and got to assemble the Hybrid kits twice....yay, double the fun.  I ordered some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste and will test it first on my CPU, and if I have enough left over will test it on the GPU's...cooler is always better!

Enjoy all your 1080Ti's, I know I do.

i7 6850K @ 4.2 Ghz @ 1.27 V
    Asus X99 Deluxe II motherboard
    2 x EVGA 1080 Ti in SLI with Nvidia HB Bridge and Hybrid kit using 4 ML120 fans
    64 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 Ram
    Corsair H115i Water cooler with 4 Corsair ML140 fans
    Corsair 750 D Airflow edition case with 1 ML140, 1 Cryorig 140, 1 ML120 fan
    Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD
    3 x Samsung Evo 850 500 GB SSD in Raid 0
    Western Digital Black 2 TB HDD
    Western Digital Black 640 GB HDD
    Corsair HX1200i PSU
    Acer Predator XB271HU IPS Gsync 144/165 Hz
    Windows 10 Pro
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Initial Thoughts 2017/05/23 20:40:54 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you enjoy the cards! I swear by the Hybrid cards as well, they are my favorites. 45º C under load is really good, I usually see about 50-55º C. Update us on how the overclocking goes. I am curious to see what you can achieve with that.

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    RustyMage
    • Total Posts : 29
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Initial Thoughts 2017/05/24 01:09:49 (permalink)
    Also have an SC2 Hybrid, usually average around 52c in my NZXT H440 case, better temps than i was getting on the 1080 Hybrid. I do notice a little bit of extra noise coming from the fan on the GPU itself when i game but it's relativity small so i'm happy.

I'd maybe like to experiment with undervolting the card, to further lower the temps.
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Initial Thoughts 2017/05/24 13:52:34 (permalink)
    RustyMage
    Also have an SC2 Hybrid, usually average around 52c in my NZXT H440 case, better temps than i was getting on the 1080 Hybrid. I do notice a little bit of extra noise coming from the fan on the GPU itself when i game but it's relativity small so i'm happy.

I'd maybe like to experiment with undervolting the card, to further lower the temps.

The cooler the better. GPU Boost 3.0 will downclock slightly starting around 40º C (although this varies per card) but the increments are very slight. You should be getting very solid performance at 52º C!

Example:

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    frantic101
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Initial Thoughts 2017/05/24 14:58:13 (permalink)
    I love, love, love the hybrid.  I hated the 1080 founder's edition card I had.  It was loud, ran hot and kicked out a ton of heat.  This card runs as cool as a cat and is everything I hoped it to be.  The highest temp I've encountered is 56 while running 1440P on Ultra in Planetside 2 after hours and hours of game play in a kind of hot room (78 F).  My old 1080 would constantly be bumping against 80 C and sound like a weed wacker under the same scenarios.

I don't overclock.  I didn't buy it to overclock; I just purchased it for the baseline temperature decrease for the conditions I use it and it did just that.  It has enough power "as is" for all of my 1440P gaming needs, with sky high FPS and max/ultra settings.  
    Notwist
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re: 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Initial Thoughts 2017/05/25 09:54:36 (permalink)
    rmmil978
    Greetings!

I had originally purchased a Ti Founders Edition and bought the Hybrid kit along with it.  After mistakes were made, probably mine, I completed the installation and my card would just not power on, regardless of what I tried to do.  I RMA'ed the card and returned the kit, not wanting to try to build it again, and destroy it...again.  My replacement Founders Ti will soon go up for sale, because I still REALLY wanted the Hybrid for this particular PC build.

So, rather than test fate again, I purchased the 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid.  I finished the install, and just as others have noticed with the Hybrid kit, the SC2 Hybrid is the real deal.  This card is installed in a smaller case with limited airflow.  In benchmarks or gaming I see a max of around 45 C, that's crazy!  I haven't tried overclocking it as of yet, but my assumption is that there is a lot of headroom left in this thing!  Default in benchmarks the GPU core jumps up to around 1860-1950 Mhz, so it is not wound as tightly as the FTW3 is (FTW3 defaults to 1987 Mhz for me).  It is QUIET, no pump noise that I can detect, maybe a little coil whine when benchmarks push FPS past 500, but it is barely audible and can't be detected when my ears are further than 12" from the PC case it is installed in.  I did notice some weird artifacts when I first tried the Superposition Benchmark out, but after the 1st run they went away. 

I am not sure how many out there have purchased this particular model, so if there are any questions, feel free to ask!

P.S->  I have now owned a EVGA Founders, FTW3 (in a different computer with a lot of air flow), and SC2 Hybrid during this generation of cards, me likey the 1080 Ti!!

Excellent, I've actually got a question: I'm trying to build an ultra silent machine, since I do 3D modeling and prefer a quiet and peaceful atmosphere for my work. Since you've got experience with the FTW3 in an air-centric machine and the Hybrid in another, which would you suggest for somebody that places peace and quiet as a huge priority. Fyi: The GPU would be under load with live rendering much of the time, and if I got the hybrid I would definitely be swapping the rad fan and setting a custom fan curve via motherboard. Ty!!
    rmmil978
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re: 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Initial Thoughts 2017/05/27 15:50:21 (permalink)

Excellent, I've actually got a question: I'm trying to build an ultra silent machine, since I do 3D modeling and prefer a quiet and peaceful atmosphere for my work. Since you've got experience with the FTW3 in an air-centric machine and the Hybrid in another, which would you suggest for somebody that places peace and quiet as a huge priority. Fyi: The GPU would be under load with live rendering much of the time, and if I got the hybrid I would definitely be swapping the rad fan and setting a custom fan curve via motherboard. Ty!!

Good question, personally I think the Hybrid is the way you should go. I can hear the FTW3, it's not loud by any stretch but the fans are audible. I use a custom fan loop to keep the card under 60 C at all times. I can't hear it in the case its in because the case already has a lot of fans, but you would notice the noise. A properly installed SC2 Hybrid has no noticeable noise, in my opinion.

RIG #1                                   

i7-7700K (Stock, 4.2 GHZ)             
    Gigabyte Gaming - 8
    EVGA GTX 1080 TI FE           
    32 GB RAM @ 3000 Mhz       
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=73018
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile