1080 Ti Kingpin Overclocking Questions

Author
Jahusaphet
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/10/12 21:34:51 (permalink)
Hey! I have a few questions concerning overclocking on my 1080 ti kingpin and was hoping I could find some answers. I will only be watercooling my KPE right now. So expect these questions and answers to apply to that type of cooling. 
1. Does the power slider in PrecisionX OC actually do anything when overclocking on air or water?
2. I have my power limit set to 130% but i never even come close. Is this do to the fact that I am on air right now and with high temps the card just wont pump anymore "juice" into it?
3. The physical "V-Tune" switches on the PCB of the card. Should I use these on air or water. What is V-mem and V-gpu Droop and what are the differences in the settings 1,2,3?
4. What is V-mem and V-gpu Droop and what are the differences in the settings 1,2,3? Should I even use them if i'm overclocking? 

Thanks for your answers in advance. You may need to explain it generally at first as this is my first time into a card this advanced. I'm working on a custom loop at the moment as well, so I will not be keeping the card on air. I am mainly looking into how to get the most I can out of the GPU on water. Superposition Scores and Fire Strike/ Time Spy and gaming. Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

Valtrius Malleus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 290
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 1080 Ti Kingpin Overclocking Questions 2017/10/13 00:44:57 (permalink)
    1. Yes. It increase how much power the card can use.
    2. It could be. If you open GPU-Z, click the sensors tab and near the bottom is a PerfCap Reason, or Performance Cap Reason. If it says Pwr then it's limited by the power. VRel or VOp means its limited by the voltage. It won't say it's capped by the temps because of how Boost 3.0 works, but increasing the voltage slider to max will allow it boost further when it gets hotter. I don't know if the XOC BIOS for the KPE has the standard voltage limit of 1.09 at 100% so just increase it slightly to see if the voltage goes over 1.10 first.
    3 & 4. vdroop is when the component gets a lower voltage than it is set at. In a motherboard bios its actually possible to set an offset to compensate for that, but no idea what they do on the KPE.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080 Ti Kingpin Overclocking Questions 2017/10/13 18:58:32 (permalink)
    1. Yes, it allows the card to pull more power if needed.
    2. Nope. You power limit will vary depending on how stressful the application is.
    3. Nope. Vmem = vram voltage. Vdroop = can help with smoothing out the cards power usage from idle to load. For more info on v-tune switches look here.
    4. For air/water it really isn't necessary.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile