EVGA

1080 Ti FTW3 bouncing between idle and load clocks after startup and fan noise

Author
apav11
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/26 16:11:24 (permalink)
I recently purchased a 1080 Ti FTW3. Besides having some artficating at the lock screen due to my custom resolution (which my previous GPU didn't have with the same custom resolution) that I think I have fixed, it's been running great. However there are two things I have noticed about it that I just wanted to double check if they're normal or not.

First, when I start my computer and immediately load up Precision XOC/X1, I notice my clock speeds bouncing around between idle 139/405Mhz and load 1569/5508Mhz clocks for a few minutes. Sometimes I have even seen it go to 1480/5508Mhz in between the other two as well. I'm not opening any other programs besides Precision and my startup programs loading automatically in the background (which are Nvidia Control Panel, Geforce Experience, Sound Blaster Control Panel, Samsung Magician, ESET Smart Security and Logitech Gaming Software). I'm not touching my keyboard or mouse during this time either. I was trying to find an explanation before making this thread and stumbled across this thread and post which is somewhat similar:  https: // forums . evga . com/Gtx-1080ti-stuck-at-1569-clock-speed-when-idle-m2708556 . aspx#2708558

None of those causes are applicable to me except for GeForce Experience/Shadowplay being installed/enabled, but I tried disabling Shadowplay/uninstalling Geforce Experience and I still get the same clock speeds. So is this normal behavior, or if not what other causes do you think it could be?

Second, I have a question regarding its noise. I purchased a FTW3 because I wanted as little noise as possible and for the most part it lives up to that. However when the fans reach 40% I start to hear a certain sound, and it gets louder if the fan speeds increase. It was hard to capture even though I think it's very noticeable in person, it's that high pitched noise you can hear besides the normal fan noise. Turning your volume up makes it easier to hear: https: // vocaroo . com/3NJXoDVPTsy

I have my case on my desk right next to the monitor, and it is less noticeable the farther you are from the case, so maybe that is why. Is this normal as well? If it is, I can get used to it.

Apologies for the spaces in the links, I have to in order to be able to link them at all. Thanks so much for the help!
post edited by apav11 - 2020/02/26 16:41:03

3 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 bouncing between idle and load clocks after startup and fan noise 2020/02/26 16:43:20 (permalink)
    apav11
    I recently purchased a 1080 Ti FTW3. Besides having some artficating at the lock screen due to my custom resolution (which my previous GPU didn't have with the same custom resolution) that I think I have fixed, it's been running great. However there are two things I have noticed about it that I just wanted to double check if they're normal or not.

First, when I start my computer and immediately load up Precision XOC/X1, I notice my clock speeds bouncing around between idle 139/405Mhz and load 1569/5508Mhz clocks for a few minutes. Sometimes I have even seen it go to 1480/5508Mhz in between the other two as well. I'm not opening any other programs besides Precision and my startup programs (which are Nvidia Control Panel, Geforce Experience, Sound Blaster Control Panel, Samsung Magician, ESET Smart Security and Logitech Gaming Software). I'm not touching my keyboard or mouse during this time either. I was trying to find an explanation before making this thread and stumbled across this thread and post which is somewhat similar:  https: // forums . evga . com/Gtx-1080ti-stuck-at-1569-clock-speed-when-idle-m2708556 . aspx#2708558

None of those causes are applicable to me except for GeForce Experience/Shadowplay being installed/enabled, but I tried disabling Shadowplay/uninstalling Geforce Experience and I still get the same clock speeds. So is this normal behavior, or if not what other causes do you think it could be?

Second, I have a question regarding its noise. I purchased a FTW3 because I wanted as little noise as possible and for the most part it lives up to that. However when the fans reach 40% I start to hear a certain sound, and it gets louder if the fan speeds increase. It was hard to capture even though I think it's very noticeable in person, it's that high pitched noise you can hear besides the normal fan noise. Turning your volume up makes it easier to hear: https: // vocaroo . com/3NJXoDVPTsy

I have my case on my desk right next to the monitor, and it is less noticeable the farther you are from the case, so maybe that is why. Is this normal as well? If it is, I can get used to it.

Apologies for the spaces in the links, I have to in order to be able to link them at all. Thanks so much for the help!

The clocks bouncing around at 'idle' are normal. Most folks do not realize that the Windows WDM or the Windows Desktop Manager, is a 3D application and can trigger clock states. Fans make noise and each GPU is going to have a slightly different sound signature. Your 3 seconds of audio didn't sound odd. Sounded like fan noise. No buzzing or whining noise but it's hard to tell from that short snippet of sound.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

apav11
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 bouncing between idle and load clocks after startup and fan noise 2020/02/26 17:07:31 (permalink)
    Didn't know that! I appreciate that, thanks. Let me see if I can get a better audio clip. Maybe I'm just so used to my previous GPU the different sounds this new one makes are distinct to me, but I definitely hear a higher pitched sound mixed in with the the normal fan noise. It's probably normal but I just wanted to double check.
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 bouncing between idle and load clocks after startup and fan noise 2020/02/26 17:26:04 (permalink)
    Those things are normal. Noise from the fans are from the way they are built, similar to Noctua where they change the frequency of the sound with the fan blade design to make the sound less harsh to the user.

For noise suppression, water cooling is really your best option. The problem is, cost, time and efforts to put it together. Also, the cooler you can keep the GPU/Memory, the higher the boost clock will go... which is why your boost clock varies and will throttle down when the GPU is too warm. My RTX 2080Ti throttles if it's over 40C, but it doesn't happen anymore since i'm usually around 30C under load.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile