1080 TI Hybrid Water Pump Failure

Author
Shandleyman
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/06 10:45:01 (permalink)
Good day!

I have a water pump failure... or so it seems.
I noticed gurgling noises (consistent and noticable) as if there is a bunch of air in the pump. I took the rad out and gave it a shake while running and noticed some change in the sound and the rad got hotter.
I tried to posistion everything so air would go up and gave it another shake. Again the rad got hot but the sound didnt change and it returned to high temps.

Is there a specific part number for those pumps? I know the closed loop EVGA water coolers are different between the CPU cooler and GPU cooler (or so I am told).

Thank you! I love this card and would love to have it working again!

4 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: 1080 TI Hybrid Water Pump Failure 2021/04/06 11:20:30 (permalink)
    Is it still under warranty?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Shandleyman
    Re: 1080 TI Hybrid Water Pump Failure 2021/04/06 11:23:07 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Is it still under warranty?

No, sadly it's not.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080 TI Hybrid Water Pump Failure 2021/04/06 14:02:21 (permalink)
    Shandleyman
    Good day!

I have a water pump failure... or so it seems.
    I noticed gurgling noises (consistent and noticable) as if there is a bunch of air in the pump. I took the rad out and gave it a shake while running and noticed some change in the sound and the rad got hotter.
    I tried to posistion everything so air would go up and gave it another shake. Again the rad got hot but the sound didnt change and it returned to high temps.

Is there a specific part number for those pumps? I know the closed loop EVGA water coolers are different between the CPU cooler and GPU cooler (or so I am told).

Thank you! I love this card and would love to have it working again!

Could you explain a bit better how you have the GPU and the radiator oriented? If you're hearing gurgling that means the pump is running.  Basically the rad should be mounted above the GPU with the hoses on the bottom of the radiator so any air would rise to  the top of the rad and not be sucked back into the inlet. There's also the possibility the TIM has gone bad between the AIO cooler and the GPU die. I do not know your competence level with working with hand tools and electronics. Replacing the TIM might help.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Shandleyman
    Re: 1080 TI Hybrid Water Pump Failure 2021/04/06 14:20:37 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Could you explain a bit better how you have the GPU and the radiator oriented? If you're hearing gurgling that means the pump is running.  Basically the rad should be mounted above the GPU with the hoses on the bottom of the radiator so any air would rise to  the top of the rad and not be sucked back into the inlet. There's also the possibility the TIM has gone bad between the AIO cooler and the GPU die. I do not know your competence level with working with hand tools and electronics. Replacing the TIM might help.

Thank you for the reply.

I have the rad above the GPU with the hoses on the bottom. I did this to make sure any air would make it way to the top of the res.

I'm not sure what TIM is but it seems to me it's thermal past being the only thing going between the die and cooler. I don't this it has gone bad because I do get heat into the cooler. It's just not moving around as it should through the rad... plus the noise in the pump suggests a different problem.

As far as competence level goes, I am all about hand tools and I work with electronics on the daily. I have all but ripped the cooler apart but knowing that AIOs are pretty much wrecked once they are taken apart due to the fluid loss, I have opted to not do that... yet.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile