Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Horvat
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
2009/11/07 08:36:46 (permalink)
UPDATE: THE LINK FOR THE NOTFREDS APPARENTLY DOES NOT HAVE THE NEW 6.29 CORE AND IS NOT ABLE TO RUN THE A3 WU'S.

NOTE!
Your processor must support VT (virtual technology) and it must be enabled in your computers bios.

If you have tried to setup VMware and have been unsuccessful, I would ask that you uninstall and delete all the files you have created for VMware so you can start from scratch to eliminate any unknown variables.

If you switch to Vmware you cannot run the standard SMP clients, they must be stopped or deleted.

Also if you are switching from a previous VMware version to this one you DO NOT have to delete everything and start over. Just make the changes to the .vmx file and the Diskless Folder as outlined below for the setup you want.

Step 1:

Download and install the VMware 3.0, here is the link:

[link=http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/player_3_0/ZGp0YmQlJSpiZGVkZA]http://downloads.vmware.c...3_0/ZGp0YmQlJSpiZGVkZA[/link]

Click on download for VM player for 32 and 64 bit Windows, create an account and finish the process for downloading the VMware player. If you have another version of VMware insatalled already it will uninstall it automatically and put the new version on your computer.

NOTE: There is a new beta version out 3.0.1 but is not necessary.

Step 2:

Download and SAVE this file. Click on the blue word that says "file", put it in My Documents, on your second hard drive or were ever you save extra files. Here is the link: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/vm.html

Step 3:

There are several ways you can setup VMware folding depending on your processor and how much CPU usage you are comfortable with. I will outline them below. With a dual core you can only run one client and it will use 100% of your processor. With a quad core you can run one client using only two cores and 50% of the CPU. Two clients, each using two cores at 100% CPU usage or one client using all four cores at 100% CPU usage. Using all four cores for one client will produce more PPD than two clients using two cores each. The i7 with eight cores allows many combinations. You can run up to four clients using two cores each, two clients using four cores each and one client using all eight cores. One client using two cores uses 25% of the CPU, two clients using two cores each uses 50% of the CPU and so on. One client using four cores uses 50% of the CPU and one client using all eight cores uses 100% of the CPU. Again, one client using all eight cores produces the most PPD. Also, one client using four cores will produce more PPD than two clients running on two cores each. The VMware only allows the assignment of two, four or eight cores.
Now create one folder. You can put this folder were ever you want, on the desktop, in your own folding folder, whatever and can be on your main or secondary hard drive, if you have one. Note: I put them on the secondary hard drive so if you have to reinstall or want to install a new OS, you still have all your folding folders. All you would have to do is create a new shortcut to the .vmx file on to your desktop.

Step 4:

Open the folder that you downloaded and saved from Step 2: and copy the two files in it, one has three overlapping blue squares and the other looks like an external hard drive with three little overlapping blue squares above it, copy these 2 files into the folder you created in step 3.

Step 5:

Right click on the file with the 3 blue squares in the folder you created in Step 3: and create a shortcut to the desktop for each one of the folders. IMPORTANT! This is the .vmx file which you will modify later.

Step 6:

Start the VMware client by double clicking the shortcut. The VM palyer will start, it will be a black screen inside a blue border. Let it run until the last line says "fold-(some numebers and /or letters) login: _" A little more than halfway down the screen there is a line that says "IP address:", write that number down.

Step 7:

Open you internet explorer and type the IP address you wrote down from Step: 6 into the address bar and press enter. A window will open up, this is the Diskless Folder that is used to reconfigure the client. Almost at the bottom is a blue word that says "reconfigure", click on that. On this new screen enter your folding name in the first box, our team number in the second box, 111065, your passkey in the third box, you get your pass key from the folding at home website. Then were it says SMP instance per:
For a dual core change it to 2.
For a quad core running on two cores change it to 2.
For a quad core running on all four cores leave it at 4.
For an i7 running on two cores change it to 2.
For an i7 running on four cores leave it at 4.
For an i7 running on all eight cores change it to 8.
Note: You want this to match your "numvcpus =" line in the .vmx file that is outlined in Step: 10.
Then click on the reconfigure button at the bottom. You can close your internet explorer.
Step 8:

At the top of the VM ware screen in the blue border click on were it says VM, you will get a drop down box, go to Power and then click on Power Off and Exit. Your Vm player will close.

Step 9:

Open the folder you created and right click on the file with the 3 blue boxes, this is the .vmx file I mentioned earlier. Click on "Open with" and choose "Note Pad". WARNING! Uncheck the box that says make this the default program. Now open the file.

Step 10:

Edit the line at the end of the third paragraph that says numvcpus = "2"
For a dual core leave it at "2"
For a quad core running on two cores leave it at "2"
For a quad core running on four cores change it to "4"
For an i7 running on two cores leave it at "2"
For an i7 running on four cores change it to"4"
For an i7 running on all eight cores change it to "8"

Step 11:

Copy and paste the lines below at the end of the .vmx file, make a space after the last entry in the .vmx file.

For Core i7:
priority.ungrabbed = "idle"
priority.grabbed = "idle"
processor0.use = "TRUE"
processor1.use = "TRUE"
processor2.use = "TRUE"
processor3.use = "TRUE"
processor4.use = "TRUE"
processor5.use = "TRUE"
processor6.use = "TRUE"
processor7.use = "TRUE"

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

For Quad Core:

processor0.use = "TRUE"
processor1.use = "TRUE"
processor2.use = "TRUE"
processor3.use = "TRUE"

For Dual Core:

processor0.use = "TRUE"
processor1.use = "TRUE"

Save the changes and close the folder. These commands automatically set your VM player to idle priority and to all cores. The last line is to boot your Vm player into its virtual bios when first started, which is required to change the virtual bios time to UTC time so the Downloaded times register correctly in Fahmon.

Step 12:

Start the VM player again by clicking on the short cut. When it starts up this time the screen in the VM player will look like the bios of a computer, this is the virtual bios for the VM player. Put your cursor in the middle of the screen and left click, your cursor will disappear. You can now use your + and - keys and your arrow keys to move the cursor around in the bios. To set the bios to UTC time add 4 hours to the virtual bios time if you live in EST(5 hours when you are in daylight savings time), 5 hours for CST and 7 hours for PST. Note: make sure the date is set correctly also. When you set the clock ahead, if it puts the time at or past midnight in the bios you have to set the day ahead in the date also. When your done press F10, then enter and the VM player will restart. To get the cursor back on the desktop press "control" and "alt". The VM player is now folding.

Step 13:

To setup Fahmon and HFM.NET to display VM palyer progress, click on Clients on the tool bar. Click on Add a New Client, a small box will open up. In the first line type in the name of the folder for that Vm player. Example: for the folder I created for the first Vm player that I have named Core i7 1, I typed in Core i7 1. IMPORTANT! In the second line that says Location, you must enter this line exactly like this or Fahmon will not recognize it:

\\ put the IP address you wrote down for each VM player here\c\etc\folding\1\

There should be no spaces in the above line.

The second method is to put the folding name of the VM player, which is the last line in the VM player screen when it initially starts up, in place of the IP address. This way if the IP address changes for that VM player Fahmon will still read it, otherwise you would have to edit the client Location as mentioned in the previous paragraph with the new IP address.

\\ fold-(whatever the four characters are)\c\etc\folding\1\

Again, there should be no spaces in the above example.

Then check mark the box that says Client is on a Virtual Machine for Fahmon, this is not necessary for HFM.NET. Then click Okay.

Side note for Fahmon and HFM.NET: To see all the parameters Fahmon can display put your cursor on the line in the Fahmon screen that has the headings: Progress, Name and so on and right click. A drop down box will open up and show all the parameters that can be displayed.
post edited by Horvat - 2010/04/01 14:26:17

32 Replies Related Threads

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1476
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/07 08:53:09 (permalink)
    STICKY PLEASE

HEATWARE

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/07 08:55:05 (permalink)
    How about fixing the editing features also so I can resize the text. I would rather have that than smiley faces.

-ZS-Carpenter
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1547
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/07 15:19:58 (permalink)
    barnhartmd051977

STICKY PLEASE

+1

NEEDS to be sticky please

Main rig: gaming/folding
    Z68 FTW 2600k@4.2  980 Ti sc+
    Dedicated folders
    x79 Classy/4820k 3x 970
    Q9550/780i 2x 770
    _Nite_
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 19175
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/07 18:34:58 (permalink)
    Nice Job Squirrel, I suggest a Blue Ribbon to you

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

heydabop
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/07 18:55:24 (permalink)
    Horvat

How about fixing the editing features also so I can resize the text. I would rather have that than smiley faces.

*edit* Never mind....

Please stop deleting WU's. 

My Current Folding@Home Status (via HFM.net) 

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/07 19:07:03 (permalink)
    _Nite_

Nice Job Squirrel, I suggest a Blue Ribbon to you

Thank you sir _Nite_ . You are a gentleman and a scholar. Man I am so full of it. Oh well that's me, one crazy, sarcastic nut.(get it, nut...squirrel) Seriously though thank you for the recommendation.

GhostImage
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 358
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/08 09:24:16 (permalink)
    Thank you, original poster. It kinda put some light on a few dark spots I had. Good Guide. Hopefully I wont mess anything up. Lol.
    I think Ill let my current smp WU to be done first.
    Sticky +1
    BR      +1

slugbug
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2139
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/08 10:21:46 (permalink)
    I haven't been keeping up. Has anyone figured out how to display FahMon results with VMWare Player 3.0 in XP 64 bit yet?

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/08 10:58:01 (permalink)
    Not sure. Try this, there has been an issue with LR's vm and bigadv not being seen in fahmon due to the network adapter in the VMware. The solution has been to click on the top of the VMware screen where it says VM then click settings then then highlight network adapter and change the setting from bridged to NAT. If that does not work you can change it back.

jasonanderson
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 584
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/20 02:37:20 (permalink)
    I have followed the instructions and the folding on the CPU appears to be working well, but I am getting a console message which repeats in the VMware window.

The message is:
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    hda1: rw=1, want=2094408, limit=2088387

I usually see this when I check on the folding after it has run for a number of hours.  If there is a way to scroll back in the console, I have not found it.  So, I am not sure how often this happening, but it fills up the console display.

Is this a problem?  Do I need to modify something to give it more disk space?  When I look at the folding log, I see no sign of a problem.

CPU: i7 5930K, 4.5 (125x36) with Corsair H100i | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme (1401 Bios) | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4 2666MHz (4x8GB) | Storage:  Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD (OS & Apps), 2 Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G (Data - RAID 1) | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Chassis: Cooler Master HAF X | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64

wb488641
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4205
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/20 02:45:24 (permalink)
    : Cooler
    jasonanderson

I have followed the instructions and the folding on the CPU appears to be working well, but I am getting a console message which repeats in the VMware window.

The message is:
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    hda1: rw=1, want=2094408, limit=2088387

I usually see this when I check on the folding after it has run for a number of hours.  If there is a way to scroll back in the console, I have not found it.  So, I am not sure how often this happening, but it fills up the console display.

Is this a problem?  Do I need to modify something to give it more disk space?  When I look at the folding log, I see no sign of a problem.

that is normal. i have that on my notfreds all the time normally after couple of hours , or sometime right from the beginning if i am resuming the notfreds from where i left off before shut down,  if you are seeing the cpu running at 100% then you are okay.
    there is one more crazy message , but i forget at the moment, i wouldn't worry about it.
    to get back to the console, it is CTRL - ALT

WB

post edited by wb488641 - 2009/11/20 02:51:58

SR-2 & 2 x5680   

E761 & i7 920d0

EVGA Affiliate Code: A2LD8L9Q7P

HEATWARE

vD_Edition
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 385
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/24 07:06:50 (permalink)
    Great guide. Setup went perfectly.
    But I'm getting more ppd with the regular smp with my core duo t2500. did I run something wrong or is it because the old core duo is 32bit.

I'm going to set this up on the 64 bit amd laptop and see if it works out better.

920 @ 4.2|875k @ 3.8|980X @ 4.0
    "Alright Edgar, now drop a train on 'em... AH!! 423,827 viruses fond. THAT IS NOT A SMALL NUMBER.

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/24 09:25:12 (permalink)
    u have to have HT or VT to use the guide or both I can remember

HEATWARE

vD_Edition
    iCX Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/24 13:09:08 (permalink)
    That's what I thought at first, with the vt. but it was folding, and the processor does have vt support turned on in the bios, so I going to just assume that the 32 bit is not optimized in the Linux and that's why the reg smp is faster for me. Either way. once I build an i7 rig the days of 1500 ppd will be long gone.

"Alright Edgar, now drop a train on 'em... AH!! 423,827 viruses fond. THAT IS NOT A SMALL NUMBER.

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/24 13:10:08 (permalink)
    every bit counts

HEATWARE

vD_Edition
    iCX Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/24 13:14:41 (permalink)
    thanks,
    and thanks again to Horvat for the tut. (whatever is slowing me down is on my end)
    I will see what happens on the other machine later tonight.

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/24 18:26:56 (permalink)
    An x64 supported cpu with VT is what is recommended by Stanford. I am very confident that is what the problem is with that setup.

vD_Edition
    iCX Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/25 10:51:10 (permalink)
    setup on the 64 bit amd, 35% increase in ppd.
    x86 was definitely the issue on the older laptop.
    thanks again for the guide.

Edit: seeing 65% increase in ppd

post edited by DARKWOLF2222 - 2009/11/25 14:16:19

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/25 14:22:16 (permalink)
    Glad it is working out for you.

dark2099
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/25 14:26:16 (permalink)
    I don't know what it is about your guide, but I tried to do this before, but due to something I wasn't doing, want to say editing the .vmx with notepad, that prevented it from working properly.  Thanks for the great guide.
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/25 14:38:35 (permalink)
    You're welcome.

CKY2K
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1121
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 06:18:07 (permalink)
     I'm trying to setup FahMon 2.3.99.1 to monitor the CPU from this guide. It's folding all 8 cores Cpu is @100%. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I really at explaining stuff so I include a ss (sorry it's large)

I followed this guide to setup the client ( that was the easy part....Thank you). I put this client on my D: drive (D:\Folding\CPU)...errrrr I guess I putting in the the wrong location. I tried it with the IP address and then tried with four characters (four characters is what I want) and still a no go.......TIA

Sorry, If I should have started a new thread, please let me know and I will delete this.

(right click\view image for full size) 

Gulftown 5290.9 MHz On Air (suicide run)
    Vantage Tri-SLI 480SC's - P53,019 - On Air
    jasonanderson
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 584
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 06:44:11 (permalink)
    CKY2K

I'm trying to setup FahMon 2.3.99.1 to monitor the CPU from this guide. It's folding all 8 cores Cpu is @100%. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I really at explaining stuff so I include a ss (sorry it's large)

I followed this guide to setup the client ( that was the easy part....Thank you). I put this client on my D: drive (D:\Folding\CPU)...errrrr I guess I putting in the the wrong location. I tried it with the IP address and then tried with four characters (four characters is what I want) and still a no go.......TIA

Sorry, If I should have started a new thread, please let me know and I will delete this.

(right click\view image for full size) 

The path to monitor should be \\IP\c\etc\folding\1 where IP is the IP address assigned to the VM.  I am not sure if you can use the hostname instead of the IP.  I would use the ip and note that you have the path wrong.  You are trying to use the path to the VMware files on your hard drive, but you want the path of the VM's file system.  If you change it to what I suggest, I believe it will work.

CPU: i7 5930K, 4.5 (125x36) with Corsair H100i | MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme (1401 Bios) | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4 2666MHz (4x8GB) | Storage:  Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD (OS & Apps), 2 Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G (Data - RAID 1) | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Chassis: Cooler Master HAF X | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64

Barbarossa
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 07:02:04 (permalink)
    +1 to jasonanderson
    and you can use the host name. Sometimes the vm changes its ip and your monitoring software cant read the log anymore. With the hostname this doesn´t happen
    so it shoud be
    \\ip or fold-xxxx\c\etc\folding\1

My affiliate code

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 07:19:23 (permalink)
    Exactly, in the window to add a new client in the Location line enter it exactly like this
    //fold-50A8/c/etc/folding/1

and make sure the box is check marked for Client is on a Virtual Machine.

CKY2K
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1121
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 07:20:42 (permalink)
    I'm sorry guys, I don't want clog up this thread up newbie-ness. I'll start a new thread.

Gulftown 5290.9 MHz On Air (suicide run)
    Vantage Tri-SLI 480SC's - P53,019 - On Air
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 07:29:16 (permalink)
    No problem we all went through it.

s1ngular
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 190
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 08:00:44 (permalink)
    I stuck on:

Step 5:

Right click on the file with the 3 blue squares in the folder you created in Step 3: and create a shortcut to the desktop for each one of the folders.
    IMPORTANT! This is the .vmx file which you will modify later.

What folders? There was only one folder that I created. It would help if there was pictures involved, so noobs like will get it right away.

[Intel Core i7 X990][EVGA X58 SLI Classfied 760][Quad SLi EVGA Classified GeForce GTX 590's]
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware for notfreds Guide 2009/11/26 08:15:10 (permalink)
    Sorry about that. I will edit that to make it more clear. If you run more than one instance of VMware you would create a shortcut for each .vmx file in each folder. Since you are only running one instance you only have one folder and will have only one shortcut.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile