EVGA

what card to use for blender?

Author
Mitchel0
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/09/02 16:45:07 (permalink)
so i was wondering what graphics card i should use for blender, the gtx 480 or a nvidia quarto?
P.S if u think of another one, post it please!

15 Replies Related Threads

[HazMatt]
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2913
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/02 17:55:28 (permalink)
    Quatro is the way to go for no-compromise professional grade.

But the consumer approach, 470 and 480 will be just fine if you are working with DX11 content.

- Call EVGA 24/7 at 1-888-881-EVGA (3842) -
    Forum Rules | EVGATube | Warranty | Heatware
    babyballa
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8194
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/04 06:36:05 (permalink)
    On blender website

http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/requirements/

Production specs for Hardware
    64 bits, Quad core CPU 8 GB Ram two times 1920 x 1200 px Display with 24 bit color 3 Button Mouse + tablet Open GL Graphics Card with 768 MB Ram, ATI FireGL or Nvidia Quadro

I personally think that the consumer grade cards are good enough.
    clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5274
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/04 14:10:03 (permalink)
    Quadro cards are basically the same as the consumer cards but with better quality drivers. I know over on XS boards some modified the Quadro drivers for pretty much all 200 and 400 series cards so you may look there.

If you are buying the card out of your own pocket, don't spend the money on a Quadro card. It is not worth is.

str1d3r
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 298
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/04 17:04:48 (permalink)
    What are you planning to do in blender first.
    Modeling, any old card would do.
    Rendering animations is a bit more time consuming as the detail increases.
    Ocean wave and blowing hair physics into movies and other animated charactors etc take a bit longer with a lower end card. you will still go from a to b though.
    This simple little low detail animation spinning below was about 100 frames and took about 5 minutes before it was done.
    I only used every 4 frame to create the final gif.
    split the windows and either side open the text editor.
    click the "help" tab,
     drop down to where it says system > benchmark> draw.
    with my gts250 says "- Simplistic almost useless benchmark:"

guess it depends on what you use blender to do.

daviangel
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4002
    • Ribbons : 33
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/04 18:00:37 (permalink)
    clo007

Quadro cards are basically the same as the consumer cards but with better quality drivers. I know over on XS boards some modified the Quadro drivers for pretty much all 200 and 400 series cards so you may look there.

If you are buying the card out of your own pocket, don't spend the money on a Quadro card. It is not worth is.

NO!
    Pro cards actually do hardware buffers and double sided lighting so they aren't the same. Having said that most people won't notice difference and on a hardware level maybe it's not much difference since I remember or know people used to hack normal cards into quadro's pretty easy using bios hack so you can use quadro pro drivers.
    But yeah I wouldn't spend $2000 for one of these cards myself. If I was that good at 3D stuff I'm sure I could get a job doing it and my work would pay for it LOL!
    Also, if you don't mind a 2nd hand Quadro there are always all kinds of them being sold on Ebay since when a movie studio finishes making a movie or something they give away or sell all the computers they used which usually includes a bunch of Quadro's or ATI firegl cards.

p.s. Also heard there was a problem with the 400 series gamer cards and Maya and some other 3D programs but don't know what that was about. The older 200 consumer cards didn't have any problem so you might want to ask on blender forums about people using Blender with 400 series gamer cards.

post edited by daviangel - 2010/09/04 18:03:13

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/ EVGA ACX Cooler driving 39" SEK 4K monitor
    ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 Micro ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 4930K Desktop Processor hyper 212 EVO
    G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB DDR3 1333 triple channel memory
    SB X-Fi built into mobo LG GBC-H20L blu-ray burner
    1 TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD for Win8.1 x64 2TB caviar black for apps 4x4TB
    Antec mini P180 white case
    [im
    Mitchel0
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/07 14:41:23 (permalink)
    ok sorry for the slow reply but thanks
    rhussain
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1679
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/08 06:53:08 (permalink)
    Quadro is always the way to go if you plan on doing 3d for a living. If you plan on just fooling around in 3d or just do it for fun as a hobby any of the latest consumer gaming cards nvidia or ati (amd) will do just fine. You have no reason to fork over $1000 to $4000 on a new quadro unless you work in the industry of animation, 3d, photography, or film.

I have a Quadro on the pc listed in my mod rigs at the left. I use this card for extremely precise and detailed production work in film, vfx and 3d. A quadro will allow you to handle massive scenes with millions of polygons without viewport lag, etc. You can preview 8k or higher textures on models in realtime without any lag, and if you have a compatible monitor a quadro will allow you to do 10bit color and unlock extra features of professional apps. The quadros are very similar to the geforce cards in terms of hardware however a quadro is extremely power efficient and optimized to run 24/7 on full load without any visual artifacts or issues. This is why they cost so much.

clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/23 19:48:12 (permalink)
    daviangel

clo007

NO!
    Pro cards actually do hardware buffers and double sided lighting so they aren't the same. Having said that most people won't notice difference and on a hardware level maybe it's not much difference since I remember or know people used to hack normal cards into quadro's pretty easy using bios hack so you can use quadro pro drivers.
    But yeah I wouldn't spend $2000 for one of these cards myself. If I was that good at 3D stuff I'm sure I could get a job doing it and my work would pay for it LOL!
    Also, if you don't mind a 2nd hand Quadro there are always all kinds of them being sold on Ebay since when a movie studio finishes making a movie or something they give away or sell all the computers they used which usually includes a bunch of Quadro's or ATI firegl cards.

p.s. Also heard there was a problem with the 400 series gamer cards and Maya and some other 3D programs but don't know what that was about. The older 200 consumer cards didn't have any problem so you might want to ask on blender forums about people using Blender with 400 series gamer cards.

rhussain

Quadro is always the way to go if you plan on doing 3d for a living. If you plan on just fooling around in 3d or just do it for fun as a hobby any of the latest consumer gaming cards nvidia or ati (amd) will do just fine. You have no reason to fork over $1000 to $4000 on a new quadro unless you work in the industry of animation, 3d, photography, or film.

I have a Quadro on the pc listed in my mod rigs at the left. I use this card for extremely precise and detailed production work in film, vfx and 3d. A quadro will allow you to handle massive scenes with millions of polygons without viewport lag, etc. You can preview 8k or higher textures on models in realtime without any lag, and if you have a compatible monitor a quadro will allow you to do 10bit color and unlock extra features of professional apps. The quadros are very similar to the geforce cards in terms of hardware however a quadro is extremely power efficient and optimized to run 24/7 on full load without any visual artifacts or issues. This is why they cost so much.

You two may want to go read the review I linked.

http://www.cgarchitect.co...eviews/Review076_1.asp

rhussain
    FTW Member
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/24 19:57:11 (permalink)
    @clo007
    I have seen these reviews before and many others. They seem about right, however you still need a quadro to unlock certain features of various 3d apps. These features include but limited to production shaders, advanced object display properties, display warning dialogs, etc. Plus the software developers of digital media applications extensively test quadro's with their software in order to determine the optimal working mode (partner certified drivers). In a real production you cant afford to fool around with drivers, or instabilities. A quadro is designed for production because its been rigorously tested for stability and efficiency in a production environment. You just have no time to be fooling around with technical issues in a production environment, work needs to be done and deadlines need to be meet in time. For blender its a different story because its not considered a professional production used package. Maya and Max are used in the industry and they have many features only available to owners with workstation grpahics.

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15887
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/24 22:44:20 (permalink)
    I have said this before and I will say it again you will get more for your money in CG using gaming gpus, as for shaders there are modded INI driver files to use quadro/Tesla drivers on thier Geforce Counter parts, sometimes they even offer a better gaming experience. But for the price of a workstation card for what your getting, its not really worth it at all when if you get an ethusiast gaming card or cards, you get alot more performance, and swapping out drivers ini's will fix the shader issues. All a workstation card is really is this. Lower power, lower clocks, many times on a different pcb for more video ram.

Those features come in handy if, your doing scientific simulations, long long work load times that directly use the gpu, and the person behind the computer, or the IT guy that put it together knows nothing of airflow. You can keep ethusiast cards very cool if you know what your doing. My GTX 480's do not hit or go over 70c average 65-68c for loads that last 1-2 days of none stop use/stress.

Sorry but workstation cards are just pissing money away unless your a scientist, and really need the extra video ram. More and more companys are moving to enthusiast gaming cards... Why cheaper, faster, more cost effective over the workstation counterparts.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    rhussain
    FTW Member
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/25 08:17:50 (permalink)
    donta1979
    All a workstation card is really is this. Lower power, lower clocks, many times on a different pcb for more video ram.

Those features come in handy if, your doing scientific simulations, long long work load times that directly use the gpu, and the person behind the computer, or the IT guy that put it together knows nothing of airflow. You can keep ethusiast cards very cool if you know what your doing. My GTX 480's do not hit or go over 70c average 65-68c for loads that last 1-2 days of none stop use/stress.

Quadro's have a longer lifespan because of the optimizations done to hardware. Just imagine if you had a render farm which uses cuda pathtracing. Under 100% load constantly those geforce cards will not last very long. And this is what I mean by stability. Power consumption is also an extremely important factor if you're a private studio and have to pay you own electricity bill. Some quadro's from the fx series consume less power than the latest i7 processors today. Geforce cards are nearly double the power consumption or more. You probably dont need to care about any of these factors lol, but just for arguments sake, I'm pointing out why quadro's cost more. If they were "JUST" like gaming cards they wouldnt have a price tag that is nearly 3 times the amount of a geforce card. From a video editing standpoint, Quadros offer faster encoding compared to the latest gtx400 series cards. Quadro's even overclock extremely well. I have managed to push my quadro from 600Mhz to 961 Mhz clock speed with only 8-10C change in temperature at 50% fan speed, they are extremely efficient. I only run with an overclock when doing path tracing in cuda as it requires more compute power. Here is proof(click to enlarge):

post edited by rhussain - 2010/09/25 08:20:32

clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/09/26 11:01:41 (permalink)
    Now go run some benches on that OC and post some screenies.
    I am not doubting you, I just want to see your card in action.

4thofjuly
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/10/13 22:23:38 (permalink)
    hmm... I dunno GTX 460 will work wonderfully over GTX 480.

REASONS :

GTX 480 NO GOOD

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/10/31 03:34:29 (permalink)
    Dude, just get a 460 1GB,And some good ram, troubleshot till ya get a solid GPU driver that works and plays nice with your whole system setup. Dont waste your money with Quadro with Blender, unless your getting paid.

An awesome site for Blender training:
    http://www.blendercookie.com

cdolphin
    • Total Posts : 51
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:what card to use for blender? 2010/10/31 13:05:06 (permalink)
    Blender is pretty CPU intensive, but a quadro GPU is really very useful, my laptop is enterprise standard with a Quadro NVS 3100M, and an i7-620m, and it out-renders my i7-920 @ 4.5 Ghz HT on, with a GTX465, depending on the complexity of the model. However, SolidWorks renders using CPU only, for whatever reason...And thus my desktop outrenders my laptop for more complex models in Solidworks that are not worth porting to Blender (Photo 360 is a very good rendering environment, that is attached to SolidWorks)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile